m00bies home base?

Post Reply   Page 1 of 4  [ 72 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 3 4 »
Primula_Baggins
Post subject: m00bies home base?
Posted: Tue 22 Feb , 2005 1:53 am
Living in hope

Quote:
Edit by Eruname: This thread was split from another in the invites forum and therefore may have some continuity issues. I tried to make it look as normal as possible but there are a few bits missing that had to be left behind in the other thread.
Voronwe, I would love to see a place where former Movies people and those who want to get to know them can gravitate--I don't think that's unreasonable. I haven't wanted to suggest it because I don't want to seem divisive at a delicate time.

But as much as I like this place (and I do!), I have a feeling that "there's no there there," at least for Movies types. Many of the forums are clearly for all of us and work that way, but there's no "home." The little Movies forum resembles Movies--Other at TORC: an interesting place where I read and post--but not "home."

I am loving getting to know lots of people I haven't posted with before, and I don't want that to end. But it feels a little like going to a great convention full of interesting people--at a hotel where I don't have a room.

Am I off base?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Sassafras
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 Feb , 2005 2:29 am
through the looking glass

Quote:
Am I off base?
No, no, no.

You described my feelings perfectly. :)

But then, I'm a m00b.

However, I really don't consider it would be divisive for there to be a LOTR movie forum here.
There already are seperate fora for different interests, RP for one and 'Thinking of England' for another.

Isn't it inevitable that people will gravitate towards their own interests?
Isn't it also inevitable that we will disperse into tribes?
Tribes that collectively make up a nation, but tribes nontheless.

That does not mean that we cannot, or will not, interact; it only means
that living altogether in the same room without recourse to familiar territory is, for some, an ultimately unsatisfactory state of affairs.

I should like a home within home on this board. For me that would/will be a LOTR movie forum.

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 Feb , 2005 2:30 am

My dear Prim. :)

I confess to feeling pretty much the same way. But I already raised the idea there being a "there" for m00bie types and it was pretty strongly shot down. I am not very comfortable about revisiting the issue. I have more then enough confrontation in my professional life, I don't need it where I go to relax.

On the other hand, I think that many of the m00bie regulars that invitations are being extended too are also probably going to feel the same way.

Profile Quote
Sassafras
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 Feb , 2005 2:31 am
through the looking glass

Read my post right before yours Voronwe.

:)

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 Feb , 2005 2:43 am

My dear Sass. :) Thanks for the heads up. Because my post was the first on a new page, I may well have missed yours.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 Feb , 2005 3:07 am
Living in hope

I don't remember the incident you're referring to clearly, Voronwe, but I wonder if the "shooting down" was because people fear we're going to end up as a "mini-TORC" with all the same divisions--and just as deep?

I don't know if I said it then, but I have said in other places that I don't think this fear is likely to come to pass, even with various "home" forums--partly because we all "come in through the same door" rather than just discovering one forum and staying there, and partly because we're expected to discuss and vote here as a community, which necessarily will help us continue to think of ourselves as one group.

I do think that if some of the excellent Movies posters who are arriving and soon to arrive don't find some kind of familiar-feeling gathering place, they'll gravitate back to posting only on TORC (those who can) rather than in both places. That would be a great loss to this community.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 Feb , 2005 7:05 am

Primula_Baggins wrote:
I don't remember the incident you're referring to clearly, Voronwe, but I wonder if the "shooting down" was because people fear we're going to end up as a "mini-TORC" with all the same divisions--and just as deep?.
Prim, I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth, but that was only part of the issue that people were expressing. The other part of it was the idea that the time for discussion about the films had come and gone.
Quote:
So let us hear no more about an LOTR Movie Forum here. It would be a barren wasteland.
I don't necessarily agree that that is true, but I have no desire to contest such a strongly held sentiment, particularly since it seems to be shared by many of the people who have been here the longest, and the biggest stake in this board.

Profile Quote
Holbytla
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 Feb , 2005 7:14 am
Grumpy cuz I can be

This is an excellent discussion, but it is happening in the wrong thread. :)
Regardless of the forum name, there is nothing stopping anyone from starting whatever threads they want. The forum will become what it is meant to become no matter if it is called the LOTR Movie Forum or not.
The posters and the threads will make the forum.
So what are you waiting for?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 Feb , 2005 7:23 am
Living in hope

That really puzzles me. It seems entirely different from the general "feel" I get from this board, which is more along the lines of "Let a Hundred Flowers Bloom."

Where would be the harm in starting such a forum and seeing if it became a barren wasteland? What would be the cost to any of the rest of the board if it did fail? The present situtation would simply remain.

It wouldn't even need to be explicitly an "LotR Movies" forum--if it were simply called "M00bies" that would be enough. Or "M00bies--Everyone Welcome."

I'm concerned about the very real possibility of Movies people drifting away from b77 because there is no nucleus for them here. I would like to see a solution discussed more widely--which isn't going to happen here. But perhaps Ethel will weigh in with some advice.

(I can understand why you personally don't want to begin such a discussion, Voronwe. :hug: )

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 Feb , 2005 7:25 am
Living in hope

Well, Holby, we can't create a forum, and that does require discussion.

And I don't see a forum right now that could comfortably fill up with M00bs, who might be seen as hijacking it.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Holbytla
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 Feb , 2005 7:32 am
Grumpy cuz I can be

There is a movie forum. What is so wrong with a combined movies/other movies forum?
Hijack what? There isn't anything to hijack. Make threads reply to posts.....why is this any different?
The TORC m00bie forum certainly didn't start out the way it is now. It evolved over time. You have to make the forum what it is meant to be. Nobody is stopping anyone from doing that. Have at it.
If you post it they will come.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 Feb , 2005 7:34 am
Living in hope

But will they know where to come?

Oh, what the hell. <vanishes>

<reappears>

The M00bie n00b welcome party thread. It's in the movies forum.

:cheers

I've put links in Anthy's and Faramond/dhspgt's threads.

If I have done anything wrong here, please tell me--though at the moment I have to get to bed.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 Feb , 2005 9:05 am
Troubadour of Ithilien

There is also a chat forum. There's nothing to stop any Moobies-clique chat thread(s) forming in there. :P It's no different to what a certain RP clique or the German speakers have done. Go forth and post yourself into a comfort zone. :D

Also found on Facebook - hunt me down via the MetaTORC group.

[ img ]

I just adore the concept of washing Dirty Horseboys!

Profile Quote
Holbytla
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 Feb , 2005 10:59 am
Grumpy cuz I can be

What do you mean you never agree with me???? I don't recall any disagreements either.
Hey, she kissed me I didn't kiss her ya know. =:)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 Feb , 2005 11:21 am
Per aspera ad astra

Leoba kissed Holby?

Where did I miss it?

Does it mean I'm free to kiss Din?

;)

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 Feb , 2005 12:03 pm
Milk and kisses

Hey, I'm a m00b and I'd love to replicate the long-gone (for me) atmosphere of M00bies. I really don't think that we ever were as exclusivistic and snobbish as fame would have us, but then I was in the in-crowd, so what do I know. ;) Anyway, there's nothing stopping us from carving our niche in the "Vidistine..." forum here with specific LotR threads, or in the Turf if we want a "Homebase M00bies thread" in a Talk atmosphere. If there is enough differentiate discussion (lotR and non-LotR) then we can set up separate forums.

The way B77 is set up now means that every time we create a new forum we need to give permission to all users, one by one (as Estel discovered when setting up Thinking of England). Therefore the admins are a bit reticent about creating new fora willy-nilly. But that doesn't mean that creating one can't be discussed; and also, when we open the boards, that will be a non-issue; setting up fora then will be much more straightforward. Right now the process can be summed up as "a pain in the arse". ;)

Maybe there are dissenting voices, but this board is based on discussion and different ideas. If enough people feel the need for a M00bies home, then we'll have one. :)

Profile Quote
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 Feb , 2005 1:37 pm
Tricksy Elf!

Nin wrote:
Leoba kissed Holby?

Where did I miss it?

Does it mean I'm free to kiss Din?

;)
.... :Q :oops: ........ ;) ....... :D

'When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from delusion, it is called Religion'.

~Robert M. Pirsig

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 Feb , 2005 3:32 pm
Living in hope

Thanks for the input. I do see the problems associated with starting a new forum--I'd say let's see what happens with this arrangement.

I put this one thread in the "movies" forum, and my personal hope would be that any other "M00b" threads would go there. This is because, on TORC, people are used to finding all the Movies threads on any topic in one place--so much so that a strict TOS crackdown would see a lot of threads moved elsewhere.

And if the perception of cliquishness is a problem (though TORC Movies welcomes new people all the time now), it might be better to concentrate the threads rather than having "M00b" threads all through the fora.

The test in this case will be whether people show up and post. Because maybe everyone's fine without a Movies "home" and Voronwe and I are nuts.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 Feb , 2005 4:19 pm
Pure Kitsch Flavor

Hey, you know what? Why not start a poll about it in business.

"We would like to have a m00bies forum, yada yada - vote yes, no, or I don't care - discuss"

My question is, do you want a seperate forum to talk about the films, or do you want a seperate forum so you can start your own chat threads there, like you have on TORC, and have your own little island, with your own little in-jokes, and your own little friends that you brought over from TORC, easily being able to ignore those that weren't in that group, even though that may not be your intention.

Sorry about the sarcasm, but it stinks to me. I'm just barely getting to know some of you now, and I'm really enjoying it. You create your own little "TORC LotR m00bies, part II" and anyone who was enjoying talking to you here that wasn't originally part of that group, isn't going to feel welcome in it here either. So what's the difference? Here you get to swear and be more sarcastic and fun than on TORC, but you won't be bothering to get to know new people. Just the same old group with some new words. What gets me the most, is that most of you still do post on TORC in m00bies. Do you have to have your group in both places? Is it that hard to get to know new people?

And this reaction isn't "shooting the idea down" - it's being hurt that the idea is even considered necessary. I don't have a home here either, but I don't feel the need to start up a whole new forum for me and my friends. Hell, I'm gaining new friends so fast on this board, it wouldn't work anyway.

Funny, it wasn't until today and seeing this thread that I thought there was a difference between all the posters here. Now I understand - so sorry for the confusion. m00bs are m00bs everywhere, no exceptions.

But hey, start up a thread in business - I'm 100% certain that a new forum for you would get the majority of the votes. I mean, with all the new invites coming in who are m00bies, and large number of you already here, all the rest of us can do is scratch at the door and ask if we can be your friends as well.

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 Feb , 2005 4:38 pm
Milk and kisses

Estel, I don't think that's the intention, trust me. :)

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 4  [ 72 posts ]
Return to “Business Room” | Jump to page 1 2 3 4 »
Jump to: