The Last Homely Site on the Web

Statement on www.Board77.com

Post Reply   Page 3 of 4  [ 62 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 »
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 03 Mar , 2005 8:26 pm
Not so deep as a well

Anyone who is interested knows SOMEONE here. I would think they would more than likely try to contact a friend than go read a mission statement, if they wanted to find out what happened.

Destiny is a rhythm track on which we must improvise.

In some cases, firing the drummer helps.

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 03 Mar , 2005 8:31 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

The statement was done (as far as I understand it) in quite a hurry and under anything but ideal circumstances. It was timely (!!!!) and adequate. However, that does not mean there is no room for improvement, aye? ;)

I personally have no idea how to upload anything on the b77dotcom page. I believe TLE (with or without Estel?? I don't know but I hope she knows how :) ) did that. TLE is away until when exactly I don't know either. The current Admins here at B77 have access to the B77dot com admin pannel - but that does not mean all of us know how to use it. I certainly don't at this point in time. Just trying to give you the picture here ;) and hope Estel will be here soon to give her input too (will nudge her on PM).

If you have suggestions for ammendments then please do post them here. Only discussing without making suggestion on the how are - sorry to be so frank I don't mean it personal in any way to anybody - a bit pointless. Tell us HOW you'd like to see it improved. Make a draft and then let's discuss more productively.

Profile Quote
Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Mar , 2005 5:56 am
Pure Kitsch Flavor

I am in the process of writing a replacement for b77.com - basically, just a statement saying what b77 is, and what it has to offer (the various forums, link to member list, etc - nothing in detail, and nothing about specific posters).

I may, or may not, try to write an unbiased and consise account of the history of the board, but it will not be a complaint of any sort - simply a history. B77, although started because of TORC, is not continuing in the same manner, and I do not feel that that is addressed as the message is now - something I'm sure we would all like to remedie.

I should have the write-up done my tomorrow night (my night ;) ) and I will post it here before sending it on to Steve.

Profile Quote
Mahima
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Mar , 2005 8:18 am

Thanks, Estel.

halpm, I can understand your issues and concerns here, but
Leoba
and Rodia are right when they say that we will just be dragging mud all over the place.

Lets not do that.

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Mar , 2005 8:43 am
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

Holby is right. The purpose of the statement was twofold - to clear the misconceptions about B77, and to clear the misconceptions about the bannings.

In a way, the two are linked. The way the bannings happened was a direct result of how TORC is mismanaged, and the whole reasoning for the need for a B77 is because of people's dissatifaction with the management and alienation of posters therein.

Now I guess pretty much everyone knows about the bannings - including the list of the banned posters that was so hard to post on TORC without being edited / deleted.

As a result, that part of the message should be revised - it has done its job.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Mar , 2005 8:58 am

Now revised. TORC is not mentioned.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Mar , 2005 10:13 am
Aspiring to heresy

:clap: :clap: :toast: :clap: :clap:

Well said!

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Mar , 2005 10:27 am

It's a short-term solution and done with 2 minutes thought (I'm hard at work in the Geneva office right now).

I'm sure Estel etc can come up with a better one.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Silwen
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Mar , 2005 10:40 am
DomiKNITrix

halplm wrote:
How will people email?

How will they know who to email?

How will they even know there are people to email?
How? If they want to find out, they will. Axordil is right. I wouldn't be so concerned about what others think. Isn't it enough for you to know that you have people here who are on your side? There were enough chances to contact somebody recently. As soon as you started inviting people who had nothing to do with the trouble, you basically gave up part of your right to make b77 exclusively a site to rant against TORC.

But I'm tired of arguing now.

I see there is a new statement - I'll have to read it in a moment (the posts referring to it weren't shown on my browser before I hit reply). I had had a sketch for a better statement (as I tend never to complain unless I have a better idea), but since the matter seems to be resolved now, it's obsolete. >>>> Okay, just read the statement. Very good! The old one was rather counterproductive.

Abso-knitting-lutely! The knitting blog.

Profile Quote
halplm
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Mar , 2005 1:25 pm
b77 whipping boy

Holby? What did I do to deserve being confused with Holby????

:P

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Mar , 2005 3:19 pm
Troubadour of Ithilien

That's fabulous Estel / Lidless. Thanks for changing it. :)

Also found on Facebook - hunt me down via the MetaTORC group.

[ img ]

I just adore the concept of washing Dirty Horseboys!

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Mar , 2005 3:33 pm

Thank you!!

[ img ]
Help me go to the North Pole! by Magic Madzik, on Flickr

TRYING TO GET TO THE NORTH POLE! You can help by voting: http://www.blogyourwaytothenorthpole.com/entries/244

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Mar , 2005 3:40 pm

halplm wrote:
Holby? What did I do to deserve being confused with Holby????

:P
You're both trouble makers, that's why!! :P.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
halplm
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Mar , 2005 3:49 pm
b77 whipping boy

Coming from you, TLE, that's one of the highest compliments imaginable...

:D

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Mar , 2005 3:58 pm

PS halplm - Wouldya believe it, FoeHammer_of_Gondolin has started up his own messageboard apart from TORn a couple of months ago, since he was sick of the admins. It's an open board, he's got over 130 posters already, and people post openly there about anything and everything - including problems they see on TORn.

It's pretty much the cream of TORn and there's some damn good posters there - including the likes of NZ Strider.

Talk about providence!

I see a future where we join forces - having the core of a messageboard being the best of both sites.

But that's just me pipe-dreaming...

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Mar , 2005 3:59 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

Thanks for the quick action on this :D

And while I'm here - may I please direct your attention to the new Announcement I've put up at the top of this forum.
Important stuff to consider - please. And thank you :) As per that annoucement I'm stickying this now. Thanks for all your continued efforts :D

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Mar , 2005 4:44 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

Thanks for updating that Steve. It's even better now I say! :D

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Mar , 2005 6:44 pm
Milk and kisses

Steve, that's brilliant. :) :clap: Much much better than the TORC-referencing previous one. I had a couple of issues with the previous statement, but I didn't have the time or mental clarity to post here asking you to revise a couple of sentences... no need to do that now, you've addressed my concerns. Thank you! :)

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Mar , 2005 8:13 pm
WYSIWYG

I'm sorry I haven't been back before - I posted my quick statement here, having been very disappointed with the announcement, for all the reasons others have now mentioned. I was reluctant to argue a few days ago, when I knew you people were coping with hurting, but also couldn't refrain from making my disappointment known. I just stayed away from this place for a bit instead (well, I was too busy to visit anyway).

So, now I can just say thanks for everybody calming down and being reasonable - the new version is quite good. I'm glad you're all so level-headed, after all. :)

I hope that doesn't sound condescending or so - it's just that I had feared things were getting out of hand here - I'm really happy to see how quickly people were able to go from stressing the injustice of others (in a way that for my taste was full of pathos) to simply saying who we are. :grouphug:

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 05 Mar , 2005 12:05 am
Milk and kisses

It was a necessary process, I think, Hobby. Like grieving. :)
I was very distraught on Monday-Tuesday. I vented. I'm pretty relaxed about the whole rigmarole now.
Of course, the fact that I've been working nearly 11h days might have something to do with it...

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 3 of 4  [ 62 posts ]
Return to “Business Room” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 »
Jump to: