The Last Homely Site on the Web

Deadline on formative policy decisions

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 27 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
Axordil
Post subject: Deadline on formative policy decisions
Posted: Tue 01 Mar , 2005 9:08 pm
Not so deep as a well

The more folks we get, the harder this will be to do. It may not be fair to latecomers, but you know, some folks just weren't born in time for the constiturional convention, too.

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 01 Mar , 2005 9:25 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

It's a lot of work AX and it requires that (hopefully) a lot of people will actively participate.

Jny said in the previous thread that approx. 90% might get done by April 1st. I trust her fully in that evaluation (depends how much we argue ;) )

In any case - I would not want any deadline set in stone. It takes as long as it takes. But obviously there will need to be a focus point. And in that I trust Jny :mrgreen: So aiming for the 1st of April would be good.

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 01 Mar , 2005 9:27 pm
Not so deep as a well

Well, it's not like we have much of an enforcement mechanism. :mrgreen: But yes, a goal is what I'm talking about.

Destiny is a rhythm track on which we must improvise.

In some cases, firing the drummer helps.

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 02 Mar , 2005 8:48 am
Troubadour of Ithilien

I regard our Admins as the enforcement mechanism. Collectively they have rather a knack for kicking people up the bum.

I agree that 1st April sounds like a good target to aim for. I also have faith in Jny's judgement. We would be so much more lost without her!

Also found on Facebook - hunt me down via the MetaTORC group.

[ img ]

I just adore the concept of washing Dirty Horseboys!

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 02 Mar , 2005 3:42 pm
Not so deep as a well

Leoba--

But there are admins whom I would LOVE to have kick me up the bum. Especially in stilletos.
Whoops, wrong forum... :Q

Profile Quote
Holbytla
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 02 Mar , 2005 4:47 pm
Grumpy cuz I can be

=:)

Ax is right.
On more than one account.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Teherin
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 02 Mar , 2005 10:43 pm
Titch

I think things will definitely get done as long as we get enough people participating in them .. which we are :D

All I have to do
Is forget I ever loved him ...

Where are you Sirel ...

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 03 Mar , 2005 5:43 pm
Not so deep as a well

Remember when people were worried about inactivity... :D

Profile Quote
Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Mar , 2005 6:05 am
Pure Kitsch Flavor

Just to clear up - I read in another thread that we would be "opening our doors in the beginning of April."

I have never seen a vote on that, and the only one I can find to give that impression, is this one.

This thread is just for getting 90% of the governance issues set in place, correct?

It is not about opening b77 doors in April?

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Mar , 2005 7:31 am
Living in hope

I certainly voted (for April 1) with that impression, Estel.

I can't imagine we could be ready to open by April 1. I doubt we'll know by then whether we want to open.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Mar , 2005 3:12 pm
Troubadour of Ithilien

You're correct Estel. There has been no discussion of dates for opening. As far as I can see it'll be a good long time before we're in a position of stability that would enable us to consider it.

Also found on Facebook - hunt me down via the MetaTORC group.

[ img ]

I just adore the concept of washing Dirty Horseboys!

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Mar , 2005 3:20 pm
Not so deep as a well

Nothing about opening here. Just what the poll says...getting the necessary deicisons for running this joint in place.

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Mar , 2005 4:08 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

Just a wee dip in here to say this will be now made into a sticky and for you all to please read the newAnnoucement at the top of this forum if you haven't already done so.

Thanks a lot! :)

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Mar , 2005 6:21 pm
One of the Bronte Sisters

What I had said previously was that we could make April 1 our target for finishing the governance structure, and probably 90% will be done by then.

But we have to put some of these things through a dry run. The only date for opening that has been seriously suggested up until now is "by the end of the year."

I do not think it is appropriate that the influx of new members should be a reason to rethink every decision. That's anarchy. We have a time-line for decisions and it is my intention to stick to it - do things in the right order so that they get done.

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 06 Mar , 2005 10:29 am
*Ex-Admin of record*

Oops - with things a bit all over the place I've posted the below previously in the Emergency thread.

Once the constitution is hashed out (by the 'emergency' pannel pls see emergency thread accordingly if you haven't done so yet) and can be presented to the members.. how long will that discussion be allowed to run? How long will the final determining poll be allowed to run?

How do you see us handling that and the handling of any other, future policiy decision poll? :scratch
I said in the announcement I feel that any polls that affect major policy of this board should be allowed to run for more than 11 days (2 for discussion, 9 for the poll). I just feel they perhaps need more time. How much more? I'd suggest minimum 2 full weeks (poll closes on the 15th day). If a member realizes by having followed the discussion that he/she will be absent during the entire time of the polls running (easter/summer holidays etc.) and cannot post, that person has the right to contact another participating member and that member can post the absentee's vote in the poll thread but only if the absentee has made the wish to do so known in the discussion thread previously.
Each member can only vote once in every poll (board settings we cannot change) so that would be the only solution really if someone really is concerned. The threadowner would have to keep track and tally up accordingly.
:help: Does that make sense? Or do we just take an excecutive decision formed by the 'emergency' panel? :Q ;)

In any case, I think (sorry Ax) this poll needs re-doing ;) You know, I really hate 'interfering' with other people's stuff. I really do! But in this case I'll edit out the poll for it's just confusing and let Ax make a new one.

And just for the record... this poll was (before I killed it)

What should the deadline be for getting our act together, rule-wise, so we can move on?
Before April 1 6% [ 1 ]
April 1--so appropos somehow 80% [ 12 ]
After April 1 (but surely not long after) 13% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 15

Thanks for your understanding :)

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 06 Mar , 2005 10:42 am
*Ex-Admin of record*

:Q I can't delete the poll nor can I edit it out no matter how I try(some higher powers at work here?? ;) )

I guess we'll just have to restart a new poll I'm afraid - but sorry, not me. Too many things to do ;)

Ammendment: I can delete the poll - Estel told me how :D A typical example of not seeing the moss on the tree ;)

Poll deleted. Thanks for the help. We'll do a new one, aye? After this has been discussed more ;)

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 13 Mar , 2005 10:37 am
*Ex-Admin of record*

You - the non panel members - can discuss in here if you wish to do so. To see where the panel is going with
this current point of discussion please see
Constitutional convention

The continually updated first post will give you an overview of which topics are under discussion and what the
current opinions voiced are.
If you have strong objections or an important viewpoint to share, please PM one of the panel members.

Profile Quote
Impenitent
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 16 Mar , 2005 2:16 am
Try to stay perky

I've been reading through the Convention thread and would like to submit this:

Please make the voting process as transparent as possible - an open thread but please, not by email, and not by PM.

Open.

If a preferential voting system (ie run off) is chosen, then people can post their ballots directly into the thread; and they can CHANGE THEIR MINDS and change their ballot during the course of discussion - and then the ballot thread can be locked to further changes when it's time to add up the votes.

I have read the concerns people have about veering away from a secret ballot but as I see it - there are no personalities involved here. We are not voting on who we want as Mayor. We are not voting on whether John Doe would make a good administator. I can understand a secret ballot where specific personalities are involved because an individual's feelings can be hurt by a no vote.

But here we are voting on ideas of governance. Why should people's reasonings on this be secret? Surely we will learn more from discussion and come closer to consensus via this means than by secret vote.

One more thing: the low turnout on invitations should not be read as apathy. I haven't voted in a single invitation thread but I don't feel apathetic about it. Rather, I feel that all who want to enter, should be allowed to enter. Let them come; I will co-exist with all. Others who do not participate in the invitation votes may have equally benign if not transparent reasons.

So...that's all folks. :)

[ img ]

"Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not;
and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad." ~Robert C. Savage

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 16 Mar , 2005 3:54 am
One of the Bronte Sisters

Imp, it looks like that's what we're going to do. But even if we did vote by PM or email, for the sake of convenience, there has been no strong demand for the votes to be anonymous and I personally would have no objection to sharing the ballots with anyone who wanted to see them.

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
Impenitent
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 16 Mar , 2005 3:57 am
Try to stay perky

Yes, I gathered from the Convention thread - but thought I'd put in my tuppence here anyway. :)

[ img ]

"Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not;
and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad." ~Robert C. Savage

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 27 posts ]
Return to “Business Room” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: