board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

The Outside Forum has been CREATED! YAYYYY!

Post Reply   Page 2 of 3  [ 41 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 »
Ethel
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 03 Mar , 2005 3:23 am
The Pirate's Daughter

Me want to see! Me want to see forum!

*stamps foot, shakes curls, and in all other ways a nuisance*

Living well is the best revenge. --George Herbert

Profile Quote
Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 03 Mar , 2005 3:46 am
Pure Kitsch Flavor

Permissions later I'm afraid - sorry. Head hurts to much right now.

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 03 Mar , 2005 5:36 am
One of the Bronte Sisters

No prob, Estel; and God bless Eru because I screwed up in a screwy way and she had to explain to me how these forums actually work.

The Bike Rack is a read and write forum with access for everyone. That's where petty disputes and thread derailings get taken.

But for the Jury Room where arbitrations and bannings get done, I wanted to limit the possibility of trolls screwing up a resolution process, so I made it read only, and admins have to enable a poster to write there, which happens when an arbitration thread is started or a hearing on a ban is convened. The Archives are the same way - read only by enabled jurors and writing is enabled if a juror needs to summarize a 'case.'

Thing is, we put all three forums in a section called "Outside" and a section has to be all one way or another - it can't be part open access and part restricted access.

Eru has been kind enough to break "Outside" into two sections. One is still called "Outside" and contains The Bike Racks and anyone can go there anytime and start a thread. The other section is called "Dispute Resolution" (I think) and that's where the jury room now is and it will have restricted access after we get finished discussing the instructions I put in the stickies.

So you guys will have to look at two new sections, but it's still the same three forums. I just have to edit the stickies to reflect the correct titles. I can't get to that until Friday, and Estel has been working night and days ... so the gist of this is to ask for a teeny-tiny bit of patience.

Bre promises not to wash her hand until after the grand opening, right Bre?

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 03 Mar , 2005 5:41 am
Pure Kitsch Flavor

Jnyusa wrote:
Thing is, we put all three forums in a section called "Outside" and a section has to be all one way or another - it can't be part open access and part restricted access.

Eru has been kind enough to break "Outside" into two sections. One is still called "Outside" and contains The Bike Racks and anyone can go there anytime and start a thread. The other section is called "Dispute Resolution" (I think) and that's where the jury room now is and it will have restricted access after we get finished discussing the instructions I put in the stickies.
Jn
Actually, I broke it up into two forums called Outside, and Outside Adendum (but with the correct spelling). Eru and I have since talked, and we can have it all in one Master Forum, and do the permissions for each sub-forum individually - the same way we can make the "Thinking of England" forum have only a viewable header, but if someone clicks on it, they can't see anything, or we can make it read only, where they can see everything but not post, or where they can read and post - if it were based on a master forum, we wouldn't be able to do that with the Thinking of Englad forum. We can, so it was just a basic misunderstanding.

I'm going to delete the "Outside Adendum" forum and put everything back into the "Outside" forum, and we can do sub-forum permissions from there.

That probably didn't make any sense, eh? :P

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 03 Mar , 2005 6:16 am

That made perfect sense to me, Estel :uhoh: And thank you for figuring out how to set things up that way!

I figured that we would save ourselves bushels of trouble down the road if trolls simply can't get into those forums where the serious stuff takes place.

So I don't have to edit, I guess. :love:

Jn

Profile Quote
Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 03 Mar , 2005 6:25 am
Pure Kitsch Flavor

I've done the first 5 of 7 pages of permissions -

Jn - you want people to be able to see the Jury Room and the Archives right now, right?

Cause I've been making it so that people can see them...

Just want to make sure

Last edited by Estel on Thu 03 Mar , 2005 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 03 Mar , 2005 6:27 am

Yeah, I want people to be able to see them and click on the links that bring them back here for discussion.

If you've already done it differently, please don't re-do all of it. That's too much work. If people find that they can't post, they'll come to the Business Forum anyway, won't they?

Jn

Profile Quote
Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 03 Mar , 2005 6:42 am
Pure Kitsch Flavor

Ok, I've finished.

Everyone can read and post in The BikeRacks

Everyone can only read The Jury Room

Everyone can only read The Archives

Hope that's all correct, cause I am so done for the night ;) :tired:

Profile Quote
Andri
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 03 Mar , 2005 8:20 am

A very good work, Estel. Thanks :cheers
Enjoy your much-deserved rest. :)

And thanks to Eru and Jnysa for the great work. :cheers

Now, I can't wait to get into a fight so I can use them...... :devil:

"What's you looking at? Hey, you, do you think you are clever? Well, do you?" :rage:

Profile Quote
laureanna
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 03 Mar , 2005 8:31 am
Triathlete

Great job. I'm assuming "outside" is as in "take it outside". It does not mean "visible from the outside", right?

Pssst Check the spelling on volunteer, in the bike racks.

Well, I'm back.

Profile Quote
Impenitent
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 03 Mar , 2005 10:07 am
Try to stay perky

* Stands under a lamp post looking tough and aggressive; sees Andri. *

"You lookin' at me, Greek girl? Eh? You lookin' at me?"

:P

[ img ]

"Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not;
and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad." ~Robert C. Savage

Profile Quote
Mummpizz
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 03 Mar , 2005 10:25 am
Gloriosus

Yay! Bike racks! I want to place bets on Andri / Impenitent. But only after the first round, first I've got to see how they perform.

– – –

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 03 Mar , 2005 2:18 pm

laureanna - yes, 'outside' as in 'take it outside'

Jn

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 03 Mar , 2005 3:48 pm
Troubadour of Ithilien

Jnyusa, thank you. :bow:

I hope those forums remain empty with only their stickies to rattle around in them for many a long day. :)

Also found on Facebook - hunt me down via the MetaTORC group.

[ img ]

I just adore the concept of washing Dirty Horseboys!

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 03 Mar , 2005 4:49 pm

Oh HOORAY! That is sooo coool!!!!! :D

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 03 Mar , 2005 7:13 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

:bow: :bow: Jny & Estel. My email of earlier is redundant :D :D

Can I perhaps point out something? On the 'How to use the Bike Racks thread?
Quote:
2. Do we have a universal email or admin PM address that I could use as a link wherever the word “admin” appears? If not, I will simply keep the current admin list updated so that PM’s can be done quick and easy.
The 'universal' admin email is admins@board77.com (since we'll be retiring the yahoo one). There is no universal PM for the admins and as far as I'm aware PMs are only a private person-to-person way of comm the way phpbb is set up (and which we can't change)

fantastic fantastic work. Sooo good to see this up :D

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Mar , 2005 4:11 pm

Alandriel - thank you for that info! I'll edit the stickies to give the link, but I'll still list the current admins at the bottom of each sticky.

To be truthful, I'm having touble keeping track of who they are. I think probably because people have been 'drafted' in the past fews days to handle the overload.

I'm going to edit in the list from the Admin thread, and I would appreciate it if you would look at it and make sure it is correct.

Jn

edit: okaaaay ... my geeklessness just reared its head. :( I don't know how to do email links. I'd like to fix is so that when a poster clicks on the word "admin" they get an email link to admins@board77.com. Can anyone explain to me how to do that?

Also - I just realized that it will only work in the bike forum ... ah heck. You know what? I'm just going to edit this so that it says a list of current admins and contact info are given at the bottom. Let everyone scroll down, what the heck, and it will be the same in every forum.

edit again: and when I looked at this message I see that an email link is created just by typing the address. :) OK. I know what to do now. Thank you everyone ... just ignore me.

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 04 Mar , 2005 11:10 pm

Besides general discussion of whether the stickies are all right with everyone, there are also three undecided things with regard to use of Outside.

1. Term of probation when a Jury's recommendation to ban a member has been overturned by a vote of the membership. Alandriel suggested three-months, and that's what I typed in. It seems reasonable to me. Does anyone object?

2. Should there be a limit to the number of times a poster is put on probation within a single calendar year? In other words, beyond that limit, the poster would have to be banned if the jury decided so - no vote - even if a previous probation period had expired. Alandriel suggested not more than two probations in a calendar year and that also sounds reasonable to me. Does anyone object to adding this requirement?

3. In Hearings on a Ban, do you still want to select the third juror by a vote of the membership. Two people have expressed their preference for this and so far no one has disagreed

Jn

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 Mar , 2005 2:22 am

[sigh] bumping myself

I just realized something about the Archives in the Outside Forum and wanted to get some more input from the members ... you can still see that forum, can't you? There's nothing in there right now except a sticky explaining how the forum is used.

In the sticky it says that the forum is invisible unless you are a member of a jury, but then it also provides that poster names will be deleted before a case history is entered into the Archive.

These were both suggestions of how to protect the privacy of posters involved in Arbitrations and Bans, so I put both of them in the sticky ... but do we really need both?

I can imagine the Archives being a valuable read for someone in advance of their serving on a jury or while they're in training to be an admin. If the poster names are deleted, do we really need the forum to be invisible as well?

Jn

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 Mar , 2005 6:08 am
Living in hope

Jn, while this board is still the size of a very small town, I think we'll need both. Poster names may be erased, but people tuned in to board gossip and who have been here for long at all will easily be able to identify most of the cases--because I honestly believe there won't be that many.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 3  [ 41 posts ]
Return to “Business Room” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 »
Jump to: