board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

New sub-forums?

Post Reply   Page 2 of 4  [ 76 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 »
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 23 Nov , 2004 2:00 pm

I think we do! There's 40 of us but we might as well make ourselves a good home...more people would come...ah fuck it i dont know, im too tired, you guys think.

Profile Quote
Jaeniver
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 23 Nov , 2004 7:05 pm
I can't count but I'm cute

[quote="Dindraug"] I do have ideas for 12 century Sarum (Salisbury) if there are any takers......

quote]

:Q :Q :Q you spoke the magic words Din!!! and i've even been to the place! what more could I want?!

Pirates sounds good to but have to do more researching ;)

How about an Elizabethan RP for my poor procrastinating brain? and i promiss, i won't take the role Elizabeth herself :P:P

and sounds like a great idea, having people in it who have yet to RP. the more the merrier i'd say! :mrgreen:

So give me your forever.
Please your forever.
Not a day less will do
From you

~Other half of the Menacing Glare Duo~ partner-in-crime out to confuse the world!

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 23 Nov , 2004 8:32 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

Leoba wrote:
Rather than having the Bitching Zone, I propse we move all the specifically petition-related stuff into one place and utilise the Turf for its chatting purpose. I mean, we've got a thread about the WCAs in here - which has sweet FA to do with the petition really - we've just got into the habit of using this bit of the forum as the sounding off board.
So what exactly is the purpose of this forum? Now that you've said that, I'm not so sure. Obviously The Turf is "Talk/Tom's" but what is Discussion for.

Okay, so there will be an RP forum (who knows if I'll ever participate though...you guys are too scary :roll ), but what is its name going to be hmmmm? :confused:

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Guruthostirn
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 23 Nov , 2004 10:07 pm
That Weird American

Don't make all the RP's historic! Keep some entertaining Tolkien (my main field of authority) RP's around...

Din, think you can do two Pirate RP's? One historic, one Tolkien?

"Tales of Time"?

That crazy American Jerk...

"No stop signs, speed limits, no body's gonna slow me down..."

"You can run, but you'll die tired." -- What the archer said to the knight.

Profile Quote
EdaintheRanger
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 23 Nov , 2004 11:44 pm
The Red Fox

More RP opportunities? Sure you don't wanna over stretch yourselves?

Don't like 18th Century for Piracy, it's the short end of the rope. Things were so much more happening in the 17th. Heck you could even be legit in those days. One thing you gotta love about King Charles II is that he gave Jamaica to a Pirate. :mrgreen:

Anyway for Medieval, well I know nowt about that, so I'd just dust off the old studded leathers and dig out the Clannad music. :wink:

Yeah it would be good to see those too fraidy to RP on Torc trying it out here. :mrgreen:

We need courage, faith and Chocolate Cake.

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 24 Nov , 2004 8:36 am
Troubadour of Ithilien

Eruname127 wrote:
So what exactly is the purpose of this forum? Now that you've said that, I'm not so sure. Obviously The Turf is "Talk/Tom's" but what is Discussion for.
My understanding was that it was for discussing our communication with Jon, Ted et al. I was just thinking that's getting a bit redundant. The emphasis on getting, rather than all change now. In the contest of developing a community it just struck me as sensible to combine 'discussion' and 'confidential' and move forward.

If I'm talking crap just ignore me. I'm tired and ill and liable to make little sense at the moment.

Also found on Facebook - hunt me down via the MetaTORC group.

[ img ]

I just adore the concept of washing Dirty Horseboys!

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 24 Nov , 2004 10:13 am
*Ex-Admin of record*

You still make sense :wink:

I don't know lol - now that's helpful, aye?
I think the question is: how do you like to see the Turf/talk develop. Would you want in the same forum light-hearted stuff as well as rants (personal about life etc. as well as about TORC). I gather that none of you are really contemplating a total switch, meaning giving up TORC and solely posting here. So I guess it would help to have a place where one can rant a little and discuss whatever it is that's upset you on TORC. But do you want those two in the same forum? Not so sure about that myself.

Sometime I just need to cheer up - in that case I go to the Turf... and if then I feel more 'serious' I have the option of hitting 'Discussion' which could be renamed e.g. the Soap box :wink: Both sections are in the same 'forum' under Round-Table atm (the word Discussion can be edited out)
I definitely like the idea to move some threads - the stuff about what the initial discussion re comm with the TORC admins were about 'out of the way' but still accessible.

RP forum - does the library in Minas Tirith have a name? I'm such a non-geek when it comes to these things :oops: Perhaps some name relating to that could work? If you want, subsections can easily be added for different styles/periods but frankly, I don't think we'll be starting off with a huge number of RPs. As Edain said .. won't we be stretching ourselves? As, when and if new members are added things will progress and change again. We don't have to set up everything now down to the finest detail :wink: It would be kind of sad to have 5 different sub-fora only to find in them two threads or less :wink:

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 24 Nov , 2004 10:37 am
Milk and kisses

(I wrangled a little extra time from work, so am still around :wink: )

Like others, I also think that the whole Petition and related issues (evidence of mod abuse etc.) should be on a separate section (or forum) where it can be accessed and discussed if necessary, but not made the centre of the community. Although it was what brought us here... ah well.

As for space for ranting about TORC, that's difficult. I sure want to have a space where to vent if someone has done something that I find offensive or excessively dumb, but I'm usually quite adept at doing that over IM if I'm on. :wink: But where to put those rants? On a "general TORC discussion" forum? What if they relate, if only tangentially, to the petition? There's also the issue of hiding those rants away if we ever open this forum to the general public (is this being considered at all?). Those could potentially hurt us far more than any petition discussions which, IMO, are pretty civilised and rational.

Whatever we do, it's bound to take quite a bit of time and effort, so it's good to know that all decisions are reversible (i.e. nothing is deleted). :smile:

As for an RP forum here? :Q Don't scare me... I'm only beginning. :P

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
Griffon64
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 24 Nov , 2004 10:43 am
Garrulous Griffon

OK, I have a question here: I've allways been interested in roleplay but I find it too intimidating to wade through the role play forum's FAQ and how to threads :oops:

Questions:

1. Is it fun?
2. What is the nut shell on how to do it?
3. How easy / hard is it to join a nice RP?

I'm such a n00b :D

I just registered myself two alternative IDs on TORC. One is so obviously my alter ego only a fool would miss it, the other is a potential RP ID. I have a third ID as well that I only posted under twice, I think, that I'm currently logged in as on TORC - I'm quietly lurking ...

moment's hurt may harm or scar
but not inert nor beaten are
those who look and see afar
the healing hand of morning's star.

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 24 Nov , 2004 10:49 am
Milk and kisses

Can I do a spot of advertising here for The Players... a lovely "RP for Beginners" programme set up by some of the very best and most experienced posters on TORC *nods*
It was attractive and non-threatening enough that I was finally convinced to join. :wink: And we haven't really started yet...

Hmmmm? *bats eyelids*

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 24 Nov , 2004 11:43 am
Troubadour of Ithilien

1. Is it fun?

Hell, yes! :mrgreen: The thrill you get from seeing someone respond to your writing, whether in their writing or just through praise, is amazing. It's great for your language skills. And for me, it boosted my self-confidence no end - having been shafted by a boss a few years back over my drafting skills. It's also a good way of getting to know bits of Tolkien's work that you might not have otherwise explored in depth (I wouldn't have dug out HOME otherwise) and helps create strong bonds of trust and friendship, as one would expect.

2. What is the nut shell on how to do it?

You write a story in chunks from the point of view of your character. Each person takes it in turns to tell the next stage of the tale. Rather like a cross between improvised drama and collaberative writing.

3. How easy / hard is it to join a nice RP?

Not too tough if you know the people. Getting the world at large aware that you are competant is half the battle. I got there through Bards' Guild festivals - the only problem I find with them now is that they're so fast! The Lucky Fortune is also a free for all and I know many old timers who lurk there to talent spot. And yes - as Berhael mentioned - The Players is an adoption thread for anyone who wants to get into RP (be they old or new to TORC). My computer is playing silly-buggers today and I don't want to risk losing my window so I'm not going exploring for links, but you can find them for both the Adoption thread and RP thread in my TORC sig.

Come and check us out - we don't bite. :)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 24 Nov , 2004 11:50 am

I want to play with you guys!!!

I'm so desperate for good company I was going to start reading through Bowmen (oh shut up.) but I think I'll leave that one to Fool.

SO!

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 24 Nov , 2004 4:38 pm
WYSIWYG

Although I do RP occasionally, I'm not so much into it that I feel a need for more of it, so I don't have an opinion on an RP forum here.

About the "rant" forum, however, I'm not sure I understand rightly what the idea is, but, I don't know, I don't think it's such a good idea. I think we are already ranting here as much as is good for a person. You can easily get into this too much (not sure how to call it, I only have a German word for it - LOL) - you get all worked up, and all of a sudden the issue is much bigger than it would have been if you had not started to rant.
Not sure if I'm explaining this well. Sounds a lot like the boring voice of moderation.
What I mean is, if you have an issue you can post it here - we are doing it all the time, and I think it rightly goes under "discussion". However, if there were a specific rant-forum, this might get people to rant more than otherwise they would and create a lot of bad feeling and solve no problems, but only increase them.

LOL, ok I guess I better stop now before I'm making myself completely unpopular. :)

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 24 Nov , 2004 4:51 pm
Milk and kisses

No no truehobbit, I know what you mean. I've been thinking along those lines too. Making a mountain out of a molehill, I guess. And we feed off each other's rants too.

A specific place to rant might not be a good idea, but knowing that we can do it if we need to is a good safety valve.
:)

Profile Quote
Guruthostirn
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 24 Nov , 2004 9:01 pm
That Weird American

I'll vote for Berhael's idea about having the capability to rant, but not needing a specific place. The Turf is a good place for that. Right now I don't think we need to divide the rant/relief forum and the cheerful chat forum...so frequently those two topics go together. I do like that we've got Turf and the Soap Box seperate...Discussion is more for serious stuff, and that can go beyond the petition, as it has already.

Basically, I think we just need another forum for RPing. I don't think we need seperate RP forums, just one. I've seen other boards where there were a LOT of forums available, and I've always felt that makes them feel too strung out...lets keep them to a minimum.

Edit: How about "The Library"? Nice and simple...

That crazy American Jerk...

"No stop signs, speed limits, no body's gonna slow me down..."

"You can run, but you'll die tired." -- What the archer said to the knight.

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 25 Nov , 2004 8:34 am
Per aspera ad astra

Ro and Griff: RP!!!!!!! Yes, please do!

For the rest, I have to think.

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
Farawen
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 25 Nov , 2004 9:11 pm
Far out

You people won't hate me just because I'm not an RPer, will you? :bawl:

:wink:

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 25 Nov , 2004 9:25 pm
Troubadour of Ithilien

Don't worry Farawen, if we do, it'll all be in the third person anyway. :LMAO:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Farawen
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 25 Nov , 2004 9:32 pm
Far out

:mrgreen:

Profile Quote
EdaintheRanger
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 25 Nov , 2004 11:24 pm
The Red Fox

No we'll welcome you as a well respected M00bies person though.:D

Awww (((((HUGS))))))

We need courage, faith and Chocolate Cake.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 4  [ 76 posts ]
Return to “Business Room” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 »
Jump to: