board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Should we make a big announcement about INVITES?

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]
Estel
Post subject: Should we make a big announcement about INVITES?
Posted: Sun 06 Mar , 2005 7:26 pm
Pure Kitsch Flavor

We've asked people to slow down and/or stop the invites, but are pretty much being ignored. Everyone is like "oh, but we *need* this person.

My personal feeling is, we should just start a thread now saying that any new invite threads as of Monday March 7 will be locked until the admins can actually handle the amount of people coming in.

The alternative, is to get a couple more admin votes going for a "Temporary Invite Admin" style position which would last only for like.... erm, two weeks? a month? To help deal with all the invites.

We're probably gonna have to do one of the two the way things are going - this is just getting insane.

If we do option one, and people complain, we could just offer the second option and encourage them to volunteer :P ;)

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 06 Mar , 2005 7:47 pm
Troubadour of Ithilien

Oh yes please!!!!

We need to call a temporary halt. I would also suggest we don't add polls right now to those threads that don't already have them.

What do we do though with the people who're still signing up out of the blue rather than being directly sponsored? My feeling is that we'd have to tell them it was on hold. Otherwise the logical step around would be for people to ask their friends to go sign up anyway and by-pass the halt on the process!

I don't think we need extra Admins to process the invites. The reason I think we need to call a halt is because we have to sort out how this board runs, so that it runs smoothly with a greater membership The more people on board during the formative time the harder it will be to juggle.

And IMO of course. ;)

Also found on Facebook - hunt me down via the MetaTORC group.

[ img ]

I just adore the concept of washing Dirty Horseboys!

Profile Quote
Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 06 Mar , 2005 7:58 pm
Pure Kitsch Flavor

I think it's unfair to stop invite threads that have already been started - they should be allowed to have their polls and finish.

However, I think every single invite thread started tomorrow should be locked, and an announcement made.

As for people signing up out of the blue - the ones who already have - up until today, should have a chance to be sponsored and invited, but again, starting tomorrow, the email going out to them should include something that says
  • "Due to an influx in invites and a need to get on top of board governance issues, all invites to this board have been halted for...(insert period of time). Please understand, we do welcome you to be invited to the board in a few weeks, we just don't have the admin/man-power to work through the invites we have now. We'll send you an email to let you know when the invites start up again"
or something like that :P

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 06 Mar , 2005 8:03 pm
Troubadour of Ithilien

Sounds cool to me. :)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 06 Mar , 2005 8:06 pm
Pure Kitsch Flavor

Just hope that I, or someone else, could find a better wording for it :P

Brain is sooooo not working today, lol

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 06 Mar , 2005 9:36 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

Yep! I'd also say to put an announcement up (can you do it Estel - I really feel I've done enough announcements lol) as soon as may be.

Stop the invite process entirely for new people to join meaning
- no one starts a new invite thread except for those people who so far have received info from us via email and are in the pipeline so to speak.
- threads that are now running let them run their course. Just who get's activated when is kind of an organic process anyway as you ladies work down the list
- any new email that arrives or any new member that signs up as of Monday will be asked nicely to be patient. No need to remove their name from the memberlist (since that's just not nice ;) ) but keep the tally running in the 'log' thread and change location to: not yet an active member :D

As to the actual announcement about this. I'm afraid I think you'll need to be a bit more 'precise'. Apart from telling them why and what also say very clearly what each user can and cannot do (for the time being)

e.g. my suggestion (expanded from yours Estel):

Due to a sizeable influx in invites and new member registrations as well as the urgent need to get on top of priority board governance issues, all invites to this board will be stopped as of today until 01 April (at which point the situation will be reassed).
We apologize but this was a necessary executive decision taken by all the admins at this point in time and under the circumstances we're finding ourselves in.
Please understand, we do welcome you to invite your friends to this board - only not now during this time but rather in a few weeks after we have resolved important issues of governance and then reassed the situation. We don't have enough admin/man-power to work through all the invites and at the same time the forum is overloaded with thread not many find the time to wade through. The board will eventually be opened to the public - but first we have to 'stabilize' our situation here.

- Theads that are already running will be allowed to run their course

- New threads starting up as of today will be locked and after 24 hours (approx.) deleted

- new member that have signed up as of today will continue to be processed - meaning if you get an email from one of the members on the list in the New members as of March thread asking you to be a sponsor you of course may open a thread if it is your wish to do so.

- new members that sign up as of today will be sent an email informing them of this change of policy for the time being and will be asked to please be patient. The same goes for people that just email us.

We hope you'll understand and accept the extraordinary circumstances under which we had to take this decision.We're working towards a splendid future of the Board 77 community and welcome you to take part in that process. If you're interested in helping build a community then please head over to the Business room and familiarize yourself with the threads running their. Your input is valuable. Thanks :)

~~~~~

Too cheesy?

Well, it's just a suggestion of course but the sooner this or something like this goes up as an announcement the better. We might get a bit of flak but I'm sure in the end everybody will understand.
If and when you put it up, please also edit in the link to the announcement into the other announcement (lol - crossreferencing).

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 06 Mar , 2005 9:50 pm
Troubadour of Ithilien

I'd personally not make reference to "The board will eventually be opened to the public" in any invite-related announcement. Sure, eventually that will happen. But in that context it makes it look as though there'll be no new people until that point. As we don't yet know when we'll be ready to open (it's not just having governance sorted but also road testing it and letting the TORC business settle, IMO), I would hate to convey the wrong impression.

I'd also not stress about lack of admin man power being the reason. I would personally volunteer to make the lot my job for the duration if that was the case. I really think we need to stop because we cannot handle vast numbers until we have worked out solidly how it all works. That's where the risk of anarchy comes from, not from the invite-management.

Just my two-pennarth.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 06 Mar , 2005 10:42 pm
Troubadour of Ithilien

*replies to self*

Is there any chance of getting an announcement in there tonight (i.e. March 6th)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 07 Mar , 2005 12:50 am
Pure Kitsch Flavor

Yeah - I'm planning on putting it up before I go to bed Leoba - probably just before midnight ;)

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 07 Mar , 2005 5:55 am
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

A question: what should we do about Terlis? He said that vison's the one he'd probably know best, but she said she didn't really know him. Should I go ahead and start a thread for him and include the email he wrote? And maybe ask him if he could point us to some threads he's been in at TORC?

The guy's been waiting for more than a few days now and I'm not sure it would be fair to shut him out right now.

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 07 Mar , 2005 6:04 am
Pure Kitsch Flavor

yeah Eru - go ahead :)

Gotta be fair - it's good to follow the rules, but we've got to be fair.

I would mention, in the thread though, that you've been in communication for a couple days ;)

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 07 Mar , 2005 6:11 am
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

I read what you wrote and you did say that a message and you seemed to word it to say that anyone who has requested to join prior to March 7th can have a thread...so there shouldn't be a problem anyway!

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 07 Mar , 2005 8:47 am
Troubadour of Ithilien

Of course he should be considered.

We have a few others who registered out the blue (Llinos springs to mind) who we've taken no action on as well. In fairness I presume we must email them and work through as normal?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 07 Mar , 2005 9:50 am
*Ex-Admin of record*

Wonderful stuff :D Thanks for the input Leoba (as always you're quite right) and Estel for putting it up.

Anyone that is on the list and in the pipeline so to speak already will (out of courtesy if nothing else) need to be processed. So yes thanks for putting up a thread for Terlis Eru.
One wee suggestion though, just to make it a bit easier, perhaps ammend the thread title for Terlis to read 'Terlis - looking for a sponsor' . Though you make that fact quite clear in the first post in there for those that will only glance at the forum might think you are sponsoring him. Having it more clear he has asked for a sponsor to come forward might help speed up the process. Just a suggestion though :) It's your call.

If and when a sponsor is found (I'd say give it a week) then that person can open a new thread and deal with it. Do not get involved personally unless you really want to ;) If no sponsor comes forward within a week, then please get in touch via email with Terlis and explain. He then has two choices: either be patient - or have another go at trying to contact a b77 member.

If you Leoba can also keep an eye on the newly sprouting invites and lock those that need locking that's great - we can cover more timezones that way ;) Thanks ladies - You're a fab team!!!! :)

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]
Return to “Business Room”
Jump to: