board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Making the Business Forum more understandable

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 19 posts ]
Leoba
Post subject: Making the Business Forum more understandable
Posted: Sun 06 Mar , 2005 7:53 pm
Troubadour of Ithilien

Alandriel has done a fabulous job putting on the brakes in here in the past week.

However, at the moment I feel as though there are 15 people maximum with a clue about what's going on in there overall. I'm not even sure I'm one of them and I've been reading those threads religiously since the word go.

Now, as far as I can ascertain, the main governance crafting business is going to move to the Jury Room to be hashed out into something worthy of a board-wide vote. I will get together an Announcement about that in the next day or so.

That leaves many of the stickies in the Business Forum not necessarily needing the immediate action that their stickiness indicates (though neding to be used as a forum for member input to the process). I'm going to work through them and try and make the place more accessible, so long as I have no nay sayers.

Alandriel, if I'm stepping on your toes in getting involved here, please just tell me to go away.

Also found on Facebook - hunt me down via the MetaTORC group.

[ img ]

I just adore the concept of washing Dirty Horseboys!

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 06 Mar , 2005 9:53 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

Nope.. no one is stepping on my toes - or rather.. I need ALL the help I can get with trying to keep it all disentangled and making it easier.
My idea was to sticky the main discussion threads and if and when sub-discussion threads/polls sprout up from those to cross link them with the 'mother' thread but not sticky them.
That way we would have the main topics floating above...
eg.
Main topic discussion invitations and any invitation related issues might spark off several poll threads
Main topic Admin powers - sparks off several different side poll discussions

Don't know really how feasable such an approach is but that's the only way I could think of of tring to bring order into the chaos.
Perhaps you and I Leoba could discuss this further before proceeding. Need to stick my toes back in there propperly tomorrow morning and have a good look around.

I know that Estel and Jny have talked about splitting some posts off in the thread Admin powers to create forums into another thread. When Estel get's back here again she can tell us .. or we'll see it done :)

Yep - getting an annoucement together about the pannel/constitution info etc. is a good idea and needs to go up alongside the other.

Thanks for your help :D

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 06 Mar , 2005 10:03 pm
Troubadour of Ithilien

We can talk it over at lunch on Tuesday. :)

I'm not in a major hurry to go unstickying or tweaking thread titles all over the show at once. However I'd like to make sure that people can follow the planning process as it happens without having to wade through more than they absolutely need to.

My goal is to at least give it a once over for my own contentment before 11th March when the constitutional hammering out kicks off.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 07 Mar , 2005 10:11 am
*Ex-Admin of record*

That would be great :D
Yes no terrible hurry right now but IF new threads sprout up and are not crosslinked to the 'system' (yeah right!) as I have it right now then please try and keep track of that and edit in/add into the first posts and 'nudge' posters if necessary (gently ;) ) We don't need any more mess and fragmentation than we already have.

Talking it over tomorrow over lunch is fab! I'd really be interested to hear your ideas. My brain is currently twisted around Jny's email which is my priority atm so that we can have a running start come Friday.

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 08 Mar , 2005 9:22 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

And so we did talk over lunch :hug: Thanks for your time and efforts.

For 'updating' everybody' sake Leoba has consented to take over the re-organization of the threads in the business forum, especially in light of me only being a temporary help.

I have put my recommendation in to remove any 'helping/temporary' admins by 1st April f(in accordance also to keeping with the established system of admin rotation) for I believe by then you won't need further assistance from the 'temps', especially if Griffon and Berhael have caught up and are able to devote more time to admin duties. But of course I'll leave the assessment of that situation up to the acting admins.

FYI I'll be away on holiday from March 25 - April 5 and have NO net access during that time. I have no problem if you want to move me back to normal status on March 25th. I would rather welcome it actually. Being a member of the constitutional pannel does not require me to hold Admin status - but if you need help, then of course I will volunteer.

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 13 Mar , 2005 6:13 pm
Troubadour of Ithilien

So, could someone help me figure out when a thread should be a sticky?

It seems to be that everything vaguely active has been stickied. I've unstickied the threads that looked like they were at rest, but we're left still with a pretty hefty list. Can I safely unsticky most of them on the grounds that if they're in use they'll get a natural bump, or is that going to be a problem?

And I just want to stress that I'm not 'taking over' the business forum, but just attempting to improve user-friendliness a little. :)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 13 Mar , 2005 6:46 pm
Pure Kitsch Flavor

I'm not sure which ones could be Leoba.

I'd like to, if possible, leave my "restructuring of the boards" as stickied, cause I only put it up yesterday and I'd like to see a few more people get their feet wet before I let it drop - basically, cause I don't want to do an overhaul on the boards and get yelled at cause people didn't think they got enough input. The thread is there for input, and I'd like it to be stickied for a couple more days so that it gets some attention - at least that people know it's there and can't yell once the work is done.

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 14 Mar , 2005 9:05 am
Troubadour of Ithilien

I thought you'd say that. ;) Which is why I asked.

I actually quite like the idea of something being stickied for its first week to draw attention to it, or (in the case of the constitutional issues) stickied when it's up for discussion.

I'll have a bit more of a play later if I can. If I get something wrong just tell me and I'll right it forthwith!

Last edited by Leoba on Mon 14 Mar , 2005 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 14 Mar , 2005 5:14 pm
Pure Kitsch Flavor

Oh - stickying something for the first week - that's a great idea!

we likes it precioussss

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 14 Mar , 2005 7:22 pm
Troubadour of Ithilien

*feels both smug and useful* :cheers

Just to warn you as well that I was thinking of tweaking some titles a little, particularly to flag up issues as they come up in the Jury Room thread.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 15 Mar , 2005 11:34 am
*Ex-Admin of record*

:D :D Fabulous!

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 15 Mar , 2005 3:08 pm
Troubadour of Ithilien

I hope you're still thinking fabulous, Alandriel.

I've just done a MAJOR simplifying hack job on your 'How To' Announcement. :oops:;)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 15 Mar , 2005 3:19 pm
Troubadour of Ithilien

Right. I've done some more unstickying and am starting to be able to see what's what!

One question: Berhaels' thread What's up for Discussion on B77. In light of how much of this is being co-ordinated by the vounteers in the Jury Room, do we still need this thread? My temptation would be to unsticky and lock it, leaving the two announcements at the top of the page to state what's going on.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 15 Mar , 2005 3:53 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

Of course I'm still thinking fabulous. I'm all for making things better and easier :D Thanks! You should add though that it was you who made it look so much better .. and add updated + date to the title ;)

I've asked Berhael about that one actually before I unstickied it (and then it got stickied again lol). Then (a week ago or so) she said she can't keep it updated but will probably do so again in the future when she has more time. I'd say to be safe... send a PM to Berhael about it, but otherwise I'd say you're right :)

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 15 Mar , 2005 4:01 pm
Troubadour of Ithilien

Yeah, okay - I'll admit to doing the damage. :P

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 15 Mar , 2005 4:14 pm
Milk and kisses

LOL :D

That thread was in response to Guru's request, and if there are similar measures inplace, I don't see why it needs to stay. So get rid of it if it's redundant, or tweak it as you see fit. :)

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 15 Mar , 2005 5:34 pm
Pure Kitsch Flavor

Is there a post up in the business forum that has the schedule that Jnyusa sent out over email?

I think that would be the best thing to put up as the top sticky, along with a link to the jury room thread.

Just an idea :)

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 15 Mar , 2005 6:29 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

And a good one Estel :) However, I think you/we'd need to consult with Jny about that. I somehow think there's a very good reason why she has not put the full agenda up - even in the Jury room (so that people don't get way over their heads with discussion but rather focus on the points as they come up).

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 16 Mar , 2005 8:23 am
Troubadour of Ithilien

That's kind of the conclusion I came to as well, Alandriel. I actually got as far as putting a (now deleted) post for Jny asking if I could post the full agenda but then I figured if she wanted it posted, it would be up in the Jury Room and the best bet might be to just link to the first posts of that thread??

I guess it wouldn't hurt me to actually ask!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 19 posts ]
Return to “Business Room”
Jump to: