board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Weird and Unusual News Stories- Join In.

Post Reply   Page 107 of 138  [ 2750 posts ]
Jump to page « 1105 106 107 108 109138 »
aninkling
Post subject: Re: Weird and Unusual News Stories- Join In.
Posted: Fri 23 Sep , 2016 8:24 pm

This year's Ig Nobel prizes are out:
http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2016/0 ... hievements
Quote:
The prizes are awarded by winners of the prestigious Nobel prizes and include $10 trillion in cash. Unfortunately for the winners, the generous cash prize comes in Zimbabwean currency, which is nearly worthless.
Quote:
At a ceremony at Harvard University in Cambridge, Mass., the spoof awards honored people such as the late Ahmed Shafik, a professor at Cairo University in Egypt who died in 2007. He dressed rats in polyester pants to test whether the fabric made them less sexually active than rats who wore cotton or wool pants, or none at all. According to his 1993 paper, the electrostatic fields created by polyester pants could play a role in impotence.

"We have never heard of anybody else who carefully spent time examining what happens sexually to rats if you put pants on them," said Marc Abrahams, editor of the Annals of Improbable Research

Society can and does execute its own mandates, and if it issues wrong mandates instead of right, or any mandates at all in things with it ought not to meddle, it practices a social tyranny more formidable than many kinds of political oppression, since, though not usually upheld by such extreme penalties, it leaves fewer means of escape, penetrating much more deeply into the details of life, and enslaving the soul itself. ― John Stuart Mill

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Sat 24 Sep , 2016 1:10 am
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

I can't wait to read them, inky! :D

[ img ]

Profile Quote
yovargas
Posted: Sat 24 Sep , 2016 7:31 pm

Did the pants have zippers?

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Sat 24 Sep , 2016 8:54 pm
Aspiring to heresy

More importantly, did they control for zipper/non-zipper? Because that could skew the results.

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Sat 24 Sep , 2016 10:41 pm
A green apple painted red

Those are always fun! I'll read later.

In the meantime, did you know that the USSR was developing a moose cavalry? They would have succeeded, too, if the WWII did not render cavalry obsolete. Now they just have a farm that raises moose for milk, medicinal use of antler velvet, and being petted by tourists.

Mooseback in the USSR: A Would-Be Communist Cavalry

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Mon 26 Sep , 2016 4:32 pm

That moose farm is rather cool, Frelga. Given how testy moose can be in the wild, I'm surprised they're so easily domesticated. But what do the drug companies make out of moose antler velvet?

Society can and does execute its own mandates, and if it issues wrong mandates instead of right, or any mandates at all in things with it ought not to meddle, it practices a social tyranny more formidable than many kinds of political oppression, since, though not usually upheld by such extreme penalties, it leaves fewer means of escape, penetrating much more deeply into the details of life, and enslaving the soul itself. ― John Stuart Mill

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Mon 26 Sep , 2016 5:45 pm

I think it's mostly one of those folk remedies that are taken from a powerful animal and so represent power and potency. The velvet does have some estrogen-type substance and growth hormones, and there's some evidence suggesting that it may support joint health. The more extravagant claims promising potency, energy, and general health have not been substantiated.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Fri 30 Sep , 2016 6:16 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Brokenwind and Backside included in top ten embarrassing place names
Quote:
[ attachment ]
dull.jpg (43.69 KiB) Viewed 6156 times
Aberdeenshire can lay claim to two of the ten most embarrassing place names in the United Kingdom.

Brokenwind, near Newmachar, finished third in the survey conducted by family history website findmypast.co.uk.

And Backside, located between Dufftown and Huntly, came eighth in the poll, which was topped by Shitterton in Dorset.

Scratchy Bottom in Dorset, Crapstone in Devon and Golden Balls in Oxon also made the top ten.

Other Scottish embarrassing place names which missed out on the top ten include Twatt in Orkney, Gash near Fraserburgh and Butt of Lewis.

Earlier this year the Perthshire village of Dull showed it had a sense of humour by twinning with the US town of Boring.

Debra Chatfield, a family historian at findmypast.co.uk, who carried out the survey, said: “In the course of researching their family history, people can discover that their ancestors came from somewhere with an unlikely, unfortunate or downright embarrassing name.

“True, it’s not the worst thing you might unearth when tracing your ancestry.

“Nonetheless some people are unsettled to discover that their forebears came from somewhere called, say, Crackpot, Ugley or Happy Bottom. It can puncture the magic of making a genealogical discovery.”

Brokenwind is barely a speck on the Aberdeenshire map but does, nonetheless, feature in the genealogical records as the place where one Agnes Bisset died of bronchitis on September 5, 1862. Brokenwind in those days was known as Broken Wynd.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Fri 28 Oct , 2016 8:01 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Yoga pants protest held at home of R. Island man who told women to 'stop wearing them'

Seriously, you have to go to the article to see the picture of the magnificent protest.

That'll teach him.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Fri 28 Oct , 2016 9:19 pm

I'm probably in the minority, but I think it's a bit sad that people have to make this big a deal out of a difference of opinion. Sure, he was a bit stupid to write a letter to the editor on the subject, but massive protests and death threats, people ? If you feel that strongly, just write a letter to the editor yourself, telling him it's none of his business.

And to be totally honest, I think there are a fair number of women who do themselves no fashion favors with wearing super-tight pants in public. There are styles I look at and think "That would be really cute on a thin young woman, but it wouldn't suit me and I think I'll pass."

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Fri 28 Oct , 2016 9:43 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Yeah, the death threats were not funny. But staging a yoga lesson outside his home was a perfectly appropriate way to protest.

Let's hope that it wasn't the same people :uhoh:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Sat 29 Oct , 2016 3:50 am
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

Yeah, I think the protest is kind of funny, honestly, though you do have to wonder who has the time to get upset enough about it in the first place to attend. :shrug: Whatever floats your boat, though, I guess. I do like yoga pants, and I wear them often. However, mine are loose fitting.

The death threats are just absurd.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Sat 29 Oct , 2016 6:05 am

I am surprised anyone paid attention to some random dude's opinion. Especially since he identified himself as gay and presumably having neither a stake nor an authority to speak about female attractiveness.

The plus side of NOT being a young woman, thin or otherwise, is that the number of people whose opinion on my wardrobe makes a difference to me is in single digits. Random letter writer dude is not one f those people.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
yovargas
Posted: Sat 29 Oct , 2016 3:25 pm

This was weird to me because I don't see any "casual sexism and the policing of women's bodies", I just some guy's opinion on fashion. Everyone has opinions on fashion, saying them publicly is far from "policing of bodies". I mean, there's an entire industry devoted entirely to telling people (of both sexes, though mostly women) what fashion does and does not look good. If Cosmo had said "yoga pants don't look good on anyone over 20", would there be hundreds of women protesting in front of Cosmo headquarters? :scratch:

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Mon 31 Oct , 2016 1:02 pm

I agree. To me, it's like some curmudgeon writing a letter to the editor saying that people who attend science fiction conventions look ridiculous and shouldn't be so childish, and having a bunch of people in sci fi dress show up to parade around their house with signs. The response strikes me as disproportionate and a little intimidating (i.e., "don't you dare say we shouldn't wear yoga pants. If you do, see what will happen?")

Now, if this was someone with actual power (I think I heard something about a lawmaker who wanted to outlaw wearing yoga pants in public), I would say go ahead and protest - at the legislative buildings.

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Mon 31 Oct , 2016 2:05 pm
Aspiring to heresy

You guys have convinced me. The protest wasn't as awesome as I originally thought.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Posted: Mon 31 Oct , 2016 2:59 pm
You are hearing me talk

I want pictures of the protest vs individuals who complain about dads wearing cargo shorts and socks with sandals.

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Tue 01 Nov , 2016 6:30 pm

Hey, I want a protest against people who heap scorn on "mom" jeans (whatever they are, exactly). ;)

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Tue 01 Nov , 2016 8:27 pm

I want to protest people anywhere telling other people what they should and should not wear, unless they are a) sleeping with them, b) paying them, or c) have actually been asked for an opinion.

I also want to protest people who actually care what the people in the first group say.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Wed 02 Nov , 2016 1:37 pm

While we're protesting fashion-related items, I'd also like to protest the fashion designers who keep recycling eras from the 20th century instead of coming up with new ideas. :) I'm tired of seeing the new look and thinking "been there, done that, don't care to do it again..."

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 107 of 138  [ 2750 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 1105 106 107 108 109138 »
Jump to: