board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

You've been Trumped!

Post Reply   Page 28 of 65  [ 1284 posts ]
Jump to page « 126 27 28 29 3065 »
aninkling
Post subject: Re: You've been Trumped!
Posted: Wed 06 Dec , 2017 10:23 pm

I'm afraid you're probably right. I kept thinking about the assassination of the Archduke Ferdinand in Kosovo, today. I expect I'm overreacting there, but I expect that things will get very ugly for a while - even with diplomats working overtime, I'm sure, to try to mitigate the damage.

Speaking of which, former president Obama - who has shown remarkable restraint about Trump's activities so far - just warned about the dangers of complacency and mentioned Hitler's rise.
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing- ... -of-hitler
Quote:
Former President Obama issued a stark warning against growing nativism in the U.S. and throughout the world at the Economic Club of Chicago on Tuesday, invoking growing complacency and the rise of Nazi leader Adolf Hitler.

..."We have to tend to this garden of democracy or else things could fall apart quickly," Obama said. "That's what happened in Germany in the 1930s which, despite the democracy of the Weimar Republic and centuries of high-level cultural and scientific achievements, Adolph Hitler rose to dominate," he continued. "Sixty million people died. ... So, you've got to pay attention. And vote."

Society can and does execute its own mandates, and if it issues wrong mandates instead of right, or any mandates at all in things with it ought not to meddle, it practices a social tyranny more formidable than many kinds of political oppression, since, though not usually upheld by such extreme penalties, it leaves fewer means of escape, penetrating much more deeply into the details of life, and enslaving the soul itself. ― John Stuart Mill

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Wed 06 Dec , 2017 10:41 pm
A green apple painted red

I think Americans are vastly underreacring, mostly out of ignorance of history.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Wed 06 Dec , 2017 11:05 pm

History, world affairs, you name it. A few years ago, I was on a 2-hour-long bus trip in one of the Baltic countries where they ran a newscast during the trip. It was absolutely embarrassing how much better the broadcast news was there than in the U.S.

As I understand it, Trump has just handed the extremists in the Middle East a gigantic public relations victory over the moderates.

Netanyahu is pleased, though. Apparently he had a hand in crafting this:
https://www.timesofisrael.com/tv-netany ... alem-move/

Everyone else including the pope...
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/12/w ... 33734.html

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/12/p ... 33314.html
Quote:
"The move by the US seems to have further unified the Palestinians. Hamas and the smaller factions in Gaza have given their full support to Mahmoud Abbas' Fattah movement in their opposition to the US move. There is full unity on the Palestinian streets behind this cause," he added.

Resistance groups in Gaza called on the Palestine Liberation Organization to withdraw its recognition of Israel in response to Trump's expected move.

Society can and does execute its own mandates, and if it issues wrong mandates instead of right, or any mandates at all in things with it ought not to meddle, it practices a social tyranny more formidable than many kinds of political oppression, since, though not usually upheld by such extreme penalties, it leaves fewer means of escape, penetrating much more deeply into the details of life, and enslaving the soul itself. ― John Stuart Mill

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Thu 07 Dec , 2017 9:32 am
of Vinyamar

I have a bad feeling about this

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Thu 07 Dec , 2017 2:16 pm
of Vinyamar

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Thu 07 Dec , 2017 5:32 pm

That... is not entirely nonsensical. :(

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Thu 07 Dec , 2017 5:36 pm

I prefer this one from your site. :) Donald Trump to just call all Muslims pricks and have done with it
Though, to be perfectly honest, the Jerusalem situation is one where my sense of humor is totally absent right now.
Quote:
I have a bad feeling about this
And if it does go south, I'm pretty sure Trump is sly and clever enough to realize that U.S. media will soon forget his role in instigating the violence and circle the wagon to support him.

NRA supporters have just very cleverly hobbled a bipartisan effort to improve background checks by tying it to a law that would let gun owners use their guns in all states, even if that state has stricter requirements for owning a gun.
http://thehill.com/homenews/house/36362 ... y-gun-bill
Quote:
Two months after the deadliest shooting in modern U.S. history, the House on Wednesday passed legislation that would allow people to use permits for carrying concealed handguns across state lines while also boosting the background check system.

Despite bipartisan support for enhancing background checks for gun purchases, the bill passed along party lines, 231-198, due to Democratic opposition to the concealed-carry reciprocity measure.

...The gun policy measures were originally two separate bills. But House GOP leaders opted to combine them so that lawmakers only had to cast one vote.

...Under the House legislation, people with permits for carrying concealed handguns could do so in any state that allows concealed weapons. ... Concealed-carry reciprocity is a top legislative priority for the National Rifle Association, which has resisted proposals to restrict access to guns in response to mass shootings.

....States have varying requirements for carrying concealed weapons, like gun safety training, age limits, and prohibitions on individuals known to have abusive pasts.

http://thehill.com/policy/defense/36372 ... ecruits-by
Quote:
The Trump administration is asking a federal judge to delay a requirement to begin accepting transgender recruits to the military on Jan. 1.

Though, to be honest, I'm almost done with caring what Trump does - he's essentially going around kicking hornets nests for the hell of it, and a lot of people in the U.S. are just saying "so what.... Jerusalem is Israel's capital, isn't it?". From the sound of it, many Republicans in Congress might realize he's an unstable, narcissistic idiot but don't want to do anything as long as they have hopes of getting their agenda through with a president who will rubber stamp anything they want. And Democratic leadership doesn't want to do anything because they want to use Trump to win elections in 2018. The "pink pussy hats" crowd made a big fuss over Trump when there was nothing yet to protest - and now where are the protesters and the marchers when there are actions to actually protest?

Sorry. Some days I just feel like throwing a tantrum.

Edit: Though I suppose Trump has promoted peace in a way I thought I'd never see - the E.U. and Russia united in opposition to the U.S.

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Tue 12 Dec , 2017 1:36 am

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/s ... abeled-not
Quote:
The Senate is poised to confirm a judicial pick rated "not qualified" by the American Bar Association (ABA). Senators voted 48-47 on Monday night to end debate on Leonard Steven Grasz's nomination to be a circuit judge for the 8th Circuit Court of Appeals.

...Grasz was the second of Trump's judicial nominees to receive a "not qualified" rating from the ABA.

"As you know, the Standing Committee confines its evaluation to the qualities of integrity, professional competence, and judicial temperament,"

FYI:
http://thehill.com/policy/technology/36 ... utside-fcc
Quote:
Activists are planning a protest outside the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) on Thursday as the agency is expected to vote to repeal its landmark net neutrality rules.

...The FCC is expected to vote along party lines on Thursday to scrap the regulations preventing companies like Comcast and Verizon from restricting access to content or prioritizing some websites over others.

Net neutrality supporters have been making a last-ditch drive to try to save the rules from repeal, though the GOP-controlled Congress has shown little interest in intervening.

Legitimate or weaponized?
http://thehill.com/homenews/media/36433 ... ryan-lizza
Quote:
The New Yorker has fired reporter Ryan Lizza after allegations the Washington correspondent engaged in "improper sexual conduct."...Lizza, who had been with the magazine since 2007, pushed back on the firing, saying in a statement he was "dismayed" the publication had portrayed “a respectful relationship with a woman I dated as somehow inappropriate.”

...The 43-year-old Berkeley graduate made national headlines this past summer with an interview with then-White House communications director Anthony Scaramucci. Scaramucci went on a profanity-laced tirade that resulted in his resignation from his position in the White House after just 10 days on the job.

...Scaramucci appeared to predict Lizza would be running into some kind of trouble just last week during a podcast interview with former New York sports radio morning host Craig Carton. “This guy’s obviously a very bad actor,” Scaramucci told Carton on Monday. “Karma’s a bitch. It’ll come back and bite him. You’ll see."

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Tue 12 Dec , 2017 2:21 pm

https://foreignpolicy.com/2017/12/08/wh ... use-trump/
Quote:
The Trump administration plans to install a political appointee at the State Department to a key position managing policy on Iran and Iraq, a move that will replace a career diplomat with a loyal supporter of the president.

Andrew L. Peek, a former captain in the U.S. Army Reserve and member of the president’s State Department transition team, will become the new deputy assistant secretary of state covering Iran and Iraq, according to three State Department officials familiar with the matter. Peek, a former U.S. Army intelligence officer, has no prior diplomatic experience and has not earned a reputation as an established expert on Iran or Iraq but has years of experience in military intelligence and in the Senate, where he served Republican senators on foreign-policy issues.

...In his new role, Peek could wield outsized influence on Middle East diplomacy, according to one State Department official, in large part because of how many State Department posts that require presidential nomination sit empty nearly a year into the Trump administration.

The Mueller investigation seems to be entering a very disturbing phase, where Trump's lawyers and loyal supporters in the GOP twist everything into an attack on the FBI and the investigators. Robert Mueller, a Republican who was widely praised when he was appointed to the investigation, is turning into a major target of the vitriol. They've also seized on Mueller's dismissal of one agent, who expressed a negative opinion about Trump to a friend in a private email during the presidential campaign. (i.e., not recently, but at a time when we were all discussing the candidates.) No doubt Mueller was smart, given the current atmosphere. But instead of seeing his act as fairness to Trump, the Trumpites are trying to convince everyone that it shows how corrupt the investigation is.
http://thehill.com/policy/national-secu ... enemy-no-1
Quote:
Republicans have a new public enemy No. 1: Peter Strzok, the FBI agent who was reassigned from special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigative team over allegedly anti-Trump text messages he sent during the presidential race.
http://thehill.com/homenews/administrat ... nvestigate
Quote:
Attorneys for President Trump would like a new special counsel to be appointed to probe the individuals who are currently investigating the president, Axios reported early Tuesday.

...Axios’s Mike Allen reported that the call for a second special counsel comes after Fox News published an article on Monday that said the wife of an official in the Justice Department was employed by Fusion GPS, the opposition firm behind the controversial Trump dossier, during the campaign. The president’s attorneys, according to Axios, fault the FBI and the Justice Department under Attorney General Jeff Sessions for the probe into Russia’s election meddling and any potential ties between Trump campaign staff members and the Kremlin.
This is seriously disturbing for the future of justice, if potential criminals are allowed to discredit investigators with innuendo and rumors and no true evidence of wrongdoing. And frankly, for the U.S. if we've gone this far into partisan politics.

Contrast it with Watergate, when Republicans in Congress wanted to get the truth about a Republican president.

It's bad enough that we've become the rogue country that says "the U.N. can't censure us" when practically every other country's opinion is that Trump did something stupid to inflame tensions in the Middle East.

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Wed 13 Dec , 2017 2:36 pm

https://www.theatlantic.com/internation ... ce/548216/
Quote:
Among the many odd elements of President Donald Trump’s announcement that the U.S. Embassy in Israel will move to Jerusalem is that it comes precipitously in advance of Vice President Mike Pence’s trip to region. The purpose of the trip was to show solidarity with the plight of Christians in the Middle East, yet Christian leaders—including the Coptic Pope—are refusing to meet with Pence. What those leaders understand, which the Trump administration seems not to, is that Christians in the Middle East have lived and will continue to live in societies where Muslim majorities determine political and social outcomes, and those outcomes become less tolerant when religious minorities are perceived to be the exclusive beneficiaries of U.S. policy.

...The problem is that the Trump administration—and Republicans in Congress like Ted Cruz—seem when it comes to Muslim countries to want to help only Christians and minority groups. Such a blatant religious bias is actually harmful to Christians, Jews, and other minorities living in the Middle East.They live amid Muslims who are also suffering persecution and violence. Muslims are, in fact, the main targets and victims of terrorism in the Middle East. Fostering commonality among sectarian communities on the basis of that sad legacy can help advance America’s goal for the region, which is to foster capable and tolerant multi-sectarian states.

I saw fissures widening already when I was in Iraq at the invitation on the UN High Commissioner for Refugees earlier this year...

An opinion piece from an expert in disaster preparedness. Trump wants to close several laboratories, while continuing to push for money for his wall:
http://thehill.com/opinion/national-sec ... puts-lives
Quote:
The president and the Department of Homeland Security’s fiscal 2018 budget call for the closure of the National Urban Security Technology laboratory along with the Chemical Security Analysis Center and the National Biodefense Analysis and Countermeasures Center. This will save a mere $41.7 million out of an agency budget of $44.1 billion...

The National Urban Security Technology Laboratory in New York City supports first responders in many ways. Including servicing first responder radiation detection equipment, used to identify and prevent the use of nuclear devices, as well as radiological dispersal devices, known as “dirty-bombs”. Their expertise is also utilized by first responders for technical issues in radiation planning and response.

The Chemical Security Analysis Center at Aberdeen Proving Ground has also been critical in understanding the impact of chemical agents, including those often used in industrial process and are transported by truck and rail in communities every day.

The National Biodefense Analysis and Countermeasure (NBACC), at Fort Detrick provides important research and forensic analysis functions in the event of a biological attack. It also contains one of the few BSL-4 high-security research laboratories, which is certified to handle some of the most deadly pathogens in the world.
(The NBACC closing might be put off, pending further study, based on the House's version of the National Defense Authorization Act)

btw, the GOP did narrowly confirm the unqualified judicial candidate. And of course, everyone has heard about Moore's loss - and good riddance to the nutter - I'm glad people in Alabama had the sense to reject him. (Though he's apparently still delusional and hoping for a recount. http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/36 ... appens-now). I was a bit surprised to see that Trump had the grace to congratulate Jones in spite of campaigning heavily for Moore.

Then, of course, Trump undercuts Tillerson's diplomatic efforts with his belligerence:
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing- ... econdition
Quote:
Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said Tuesday that the United States would be willing to meet for diplomatic talks with North Korea "without precondition," in a show of good faith after the nation's recent ballistic missile test. "We've said from the diplomatic side, we're ready to talk anytime North Korea would like to talk, and we're ready to have the first meeting without precondition," Tillerson said at an Atlantic Council event in Washington.

"Let's just meet. We can talk about the weather if you want," he added.
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing- ... orth-korea
Quote:
The White House on Tuesday reaffirmed that President Trump's position on North Korea has not changed, despite Secretary of State Rex Tillerson's comments that the U.S. would be open to bilateral talks with the country without preconditions.
I wonder where the Doomsday clock stands these days, between Trump's Jerusalem grenade into the Middle East and his aggressive posturing toward North Korea.

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Wed 13 Dec , 2017 3:28 pm

"It is two and a half minutes to midnight, the Clock is ticking, global danger looms."

https://thebulletin.org/clock/2017

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Thu 14 Dec , 2017 2:18 pm

Thanks. That's the closest it's been in recent years. Not good.

Nice to see Congress acting wisely for a change:

http://thehill.com/homenews/administrat ... ey-opposed
Quote:
The White House is withdrawing the nomination of another one of President Trump’s judicial nominees....Mateer is the second judicial nominee to be withdrawn on Wednesday. Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa), chair of the Senate Judiciary Committee, on Tuesday urged Trump to “reconsider” the nominations of Mateer and Brett Talley, Trump’s pick to be a federal judge in Alabama.

...[Talley] has practiced law for less than three years and has never tried a case in court.

Mateer has drawn scrutiny for his anti-LGBT views. In a series of speeches made in 2015, he compared homosexuality to bestiality, advocated for gay conversion therapy and described transgender children as a part of “Satan’s plan.”
http://thehill.com/policy/energy-enviro ... nomination
Quote:
President Trump's nominee to lead the Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) chemical safety office has withdrawn his nomination amid criticism from lawmakers about his ties to the chemical industry.

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Thu 14 Dec , 2017 5:30 pm

The Alabama effect?

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Thu 14 Dec , 2017 6:32 pm

Who knows. I imagine the USA Today editorial on Trump didn't hurt either. They're not known for criticizing a president.

Roy Moore sure seems to demonstrating why he was such a terrible candidate. Talk about lunatics! It sounds like he was so convinced that God wanted him to win that he can't wrap his head around the idea that he didn't. And we're all going to hell because he lost, too. :)

Edit - for those who haven't seen the USA Today Editorial:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/ ... 945947001/
It doesn't pull any punches:
Quote:
Donald Trump, the man, on the other hand, is uniquely awful. His sickening behavior is corrosive to the enterprise of a shared governance based on common values and the consent of the governed.

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Thu 14 Dec , 2017 8:08 pm

You'd think a religious man would realize that if God wanted him to win, he would have won.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Posted: Thu 14 Dec , 2017 9:33 pm
You are hearing me talk

The funny thing about God is that he's constantly being thwarted by liberals, gays, and brown people. That's why you've got to have so many guns.

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Fri 15 Dec , 2017 9:15 am
of Vinyamar

Dave_LF wrote:
The funny thing about God is that he's constantly being thwarted by liberals, gays, and brown people. That's why you've got to have so many guns.
Best. Quote. Ever. This should be your Sig!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Fri 15 Dec , 2017 3:12 pm

This combination of two stories strikes me as potentially ironic:
http://thehill.com/homenews/administrat ... harassment
Quote:
Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke has fired four senior officials in his department over inappropriate conduct... Interior spokeswoman Heather Swift told ABC News that the officials who were fired "abused their authority to intimidate or harass fellow employees. This includes but is not limited to sexual harassment."
http://thehill.com/policy/energy-enviro ... ate-tweets
Quote:
Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke brought the leader of a California park to his office last month to reprimand him for climate change-related tweets the park had sent via Twitter, two sources close to the situation said.

... the tweets at issue weren’t deleted, because they didn’t violate National Park Service or Interior Department policies. But Zinke made it clear to Smith that the Trump administration doesn’t want national parks to put out official communications on climate change.

And by bringing Smith from California to Washington, D.C., to deliver the tongue-lashing, he also sent a message to the park service at large.

... The tweets were focused on climate change’s impacts both on national parks in general and on Joshua Tree in particular. The tweets were based on scientific conclusions, sometimes citing federal government reports and including caveats when necessary.
I also find myself wondering whether Zinke is using the current #MeToo atmosphere to rid himself of employees he finds troublesome, but who would otherwise have been tough to fire without cause. This bunch does make me think things like that. Especially given that vaguely worded, very broad statement.

And another of Trump's highly qualified judicial nominees:
http://thehill.com/homenews/administrat ... -testimony
Quote:
A Democratic senator mocked one of President Trump's judicial nominees on Thursday, posting video of the nominee struggling to provide answers to a GOP senator's line of questioning.

Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse (D-R.I.) posted video of Matthew Spencer Petersen, a commissioner on the Federal Election Commission, facing questions during a hearing Wednesday on his nomination to become a district judge on the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia. Whitehouse touted the video as a "MUST WATCH," noting that the nominee was unable to answer "basic questions of law" after being asked by Sen. John Kennedy (R-La.) about legal procedure.

..."Do you know what a motion in limine is?" Kennedy asked.

"I would probably not be able to give you a good definition," Petersen responded.

"Do you know what the Younger abstention doctrine is?" Kennedy continued.

"I've heard of it, but again," Petersen responded, trailing off.

"How about the Pullman abstention doctrine?" Kennedy added. Again, Petersen was unable to respond, shaking his head.

Unbelievable, the way this administration publicly undercuts its diplomats. This is crazy:
http://thehill.com/homenews/administrat ... se-anymore
Quote:
A White House official sharply rebuked Secretary of State Rex Tillerson on Thursday, telling The Washington Post that President Trump's Cabinet member no longer speaks for the administration.

“I think our allies know at this point he’s not really speaking for the administration,” the official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, told the newspaper. The same person described Tillerson as "irrelevant" due to the influence of other diplomats and Cabinet officials

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Fri 15 Dec , 2017 3:39 pm

Oh, and Trump smears the investigation against his administration again, while hinting that he might pardon Flynn:
http://thehill.com/homenews/administrat ... ynn-pardon
Quote:
"I don’t want to talk about pardons for Michael Flynn yet,” Trump told reporters at the White House. "We'll see what happens. Let's see."

Trump also refused to say when he learned that his former national security adviser lied to the FBI, the crime for which he pleaded guilty.

...Trump may have been trying to signal to Flynn it's possible he could receive a legal reprieve if he protects him and his family.
Quote:
"I can say this, when you look at what’s going on with the FBI and with the Justice Department, people are very, very angry," he said.
If some people (AKA Trump supporters) are very angry, it's because Bannon's minions and Trump's PR machine are working overtime to cast doubts on the integrity of the FBI and Justice Dept. It does make you wonder what they know is coming.

Profile Quote
Impenitent
Posted: Sat 16 Dec , 2017 11:34 pm
Try to stay perky

Dave_LF wrote:
:D

Sent from a tiny phone keyboard via Tapatalk - typos inevitable.

[ img ]

"Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not;
and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad." ~Robert C. Savage

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 28 of 65  [ 1284 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 126 27 28 29 3065 »
Jump to: