board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Weird and Unusual News Stories- Join In.

Post Reply   Page 130 of 138  [ 2750 posts ]
Jump to page « 1128 129 130 131 132138 »
Jude
Post subject: Re: Weird and Unusual News Stories- Join In.
Posted: Tue 31 Dec , 2019 8:06 pm
Aspiring to heresy

An English hotel has launched outdoor yoga with lemurs to help people de-stress

Check out the article with pictures of people doing their yoga workouts with the help of friendly lemurs. Yes, it's a real thing.

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Thu 02 Jan , 2020 6:09 pm

I hope those lemurs are toilet-trained. ;)
(but I wouldn't mind trying the wine yoga. :) )

Better by far than this.
Only in America:

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing ... tyle-brand
Quote:
The Navy SEAL that President Trump granted clemency has launched a lifestyle clothing brand that includes T-shirts, drink gear and sweatshirts.

Edward Gallagher, 40, started Salty Frog Gear, which he describes as a “coastal lifestyle brand with an edge.” The brand, launched with Nine Line and Black Rifle Coffee Company, includes items with the print “stay salty” and sweatshirts with pockets that can hold a bottled beverage.

“Brotherhood isn’t just a statement, it’s a way of life,” Gallagher said in a statement, after saying the two companies that partnered for his brand “set the bar for brotherhood.”...

According to a report in The New York Times, Gallagher has since become a conservative influencer while posting pictures featuring various brands including veteran-owned coffee beans and muscle-building supplements....
The article says he's also launched an online site that attacks both the Navy and his former "brothers" in the SEALS (The New York Times recently posted videos, emails and other evidence from the investigation where they talked about Gallagher, calling him evil and a psychopath https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/27/the- ... -seal.html).

What's next? A sports gear company with George Zimmerman as its spokesperson? A tent company started by former sheriff Arpaio? Maybe the Americans who committed the Abu Graib atrocities should start a T-shirt company?

Anyway, anyone who sees this "Salty Frog Gear" should know who they're supporting by buying it. I think I've actually seen the stuff at a seaside town and had no idea this bastard is behind it.

Society can and does execute its own mandates, and if it issues wrong mandates instead of right, or any mandates at all in things with it ought not to meddle, it practices a social tyranny more formidable than many kinds of political oppression, since, though not usually upheld by such extreme penalties, it leaves fewer means of escape, penetrating much more deeply into the details of life, and enslaving the soul itself. ― John Stuart Mill

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Tue 07 Jan , 2020 11:55 pm

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing ... -to-kidnap
Quote:
A Colorado woman was arrested in Montana after allegedly plotting a raid with fellow believers of the QAnon conspiracy theory to kidnap her daughter, who does not live with her....

Abcug's daughter told police ahead of the planned raid, however, reportedly out of concern that Abcug or others would hurt people or be injured themselves during the attack. "She could not understand why her mother did not see how this was a bad thing," read the affidavit of Abcug's arrest, according to NBC News....

Believers in the QAnon conspiracy theory assert that the U.S. and other world governments are controlled by a cabal of Satan-worshiping pedophiles, with many believing that President Trump's election was the beginning of an effort to defeat the supposed shadowy organization.
Apparently this woman thought her children had been kidnapped by this cabal and was going to rescue them.

Society can and does execute its own mandates, and if it issues wrong mandates instead of right, or any mandates at all in things with it ought not to meddle, it practices a social tyranny more formidable than many kinds of political oppression, since, though not usually upheld by such extreme penalties, it leaves fewer means of escape, penetrating much more deeply into the details of life, and enslaving the soul itself. ― John Stuart Mill

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Thu 09 Jan , 2020 8:33 am
A green apple painted red

Yikes!

This one sounds like something Google would put out as an April's Fool joke, but apparently they are serious?

Warner Bros. Signs Deal for AI-Driven Film Management System
Quote:
The movie division, headed up by chairman Toby Emmerich, has signed a deal with Cinelytic to use the latter’s AI-driven project management system that was launched last year.

Under the new deal, Warners will leverage the system’s comprehensive data and predictive analytics to guide decision-making at the greenlight stage. The integrated online platform can assess the value of a star in any territory and how much a film is expected to make in theaters and on other ancillary streams.
I'm sure we'll see this system promote amazing works of art and entertainment. (unimpressed face.gif)

That reminds me - more than once, I've seen some creative decisions in recent American movies explained by what would or would not play well in China.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Mon 13 Jan , 2020 5:11 pm

It wouldn't surprise me at all. Another blow for independent films that take a chance. Then again, there probably hasn't been much of that for a while at the major Hollywood studios.

The news that seems to have practically everyone going "huh?!"
https://www.vogue.co.uk/beauty/article/ ... ina-candle
Quote:
Ever wondered what Gwyneth Paltrow’s nether regions smell like? No, us neither, but in new, wild, news beamed down from Goop World, the brand has launched a candle entitled “This Smells Like My Vagina”.
But this old article is better. :D
https://www.theatlantic.com/health/arch ... en/596773/
Quote:
I Gooped Myself

I spent $1,279 of The Atlantic’s money on creams, crystals, and a vibrator from Gwyneth Paltrow’s wellness empire. Things got weird.
Quote:
After a few minutes of browsing, I was offered a gratis carton of organic, calorie-free grapefruit- and elderflower-essenced alkaline spring water. It tasted like the ghost of a grapefruit, or like you finish your morning juice and fill the unrinsed cup with water.
Quote:
The market for bottles that promise to infuse water with crystal-derived “healing energies” is more crowded than you might think, but the Glacce version goes a step beyond many of its competitors by putting a big chunk of rock directly in the water chamber, instead of embedding a few small stones behind an interior layer of glass....I chose to forgo the glass bottle’s optional opaque sleeve and open myself up to questions in the office, and my water bottle indeed “enhanced communication” by drawing the attention of people from departments far and wide. It did not make me feel safer, but it did let me taste the distinct minerality imparted by drinking something with a rock in it.
Quote:
After the vitamin mishap, I began to read the instructions for my remaining purchases more carefully. But Goop’s products kept thwarting me. The Kosas Tinted Face Oil ($42) promised to hydrate my face while evening my skin tone. The first time I tried to use it, it disappeared into the core of my Beauty Blender makeup sponge and was never seen again. I felt like the raccoon in that viral video, trying to wash its cotton candy. When I squirted the oil onto the back of my hand to dab it on with a brush, it dripped onto the floor in seconds. I still have no idea how I’m supposed to put it on my face.
Quote:
Then there was the vibrator. Determined to become the first person ever to expense a sex toy to The Atlantic (though, really, who knows for sure what Thoreau submitted for reimbursement), ...
I don't follow Hollywood enough to know whether Gwyneth Paltrow is a marketing genius with a sense of humor, who enjoys seeing what people will fall for, or just really, really weird.

(The article does also have some serious points to make abour pseudoscience, as well as the quest for more "stuff.")

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Mon 13 Jan , 2020 5:38 pm

As far as anyone can guess, she is apparently just that weird. Although that weirdness is making her a lot of money, so who knows.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Tue 14 Jan , 2020 11:39 am
Aspiring to heresy

I love how Stephen Colbert can point out that Goop is a fake-science money-grabbing fraud, but do it in a way that enables him to stay friends with Paltrow:

("fake-science money-grabbing fraud" is my term, not his, but unless I'm reading too much into it, it's definitely in the subtext)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Thu 16 Jan , 2020 2:47 am

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story ... 456079002/
Quote:
Man requests 'trial by combat' with Japanese swords to settle dispute with Iowa ex-wife
Quote:
A Kansas man has asked an Iowa court to grant his motion for trial by combat so he can meet his ex-wife and her attorney "on the field of battle where (he) will rend their souls from their corporal bodies."...
I think I can understand why she is now "ex."

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Thu 16 Jan , 2020 3:28 am

Quote:
Ostrom, who said he doesn't have any experience with sword fighting, doesn't anticipate the judge will let his request go forward, but he wants an answer anyway.
He has no experience in combat but he is challenging a woman who is surely very angry at him? I kind of hope for a plot twist in which she accepts.

PS: also, since he challenged her, the choice of weapons is hers. Honestly, men these days have no idea how to fight a duel.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Fri 07 Feb , 2020 10:54 pm

From Sports Illustrated:
https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2020/0 ... ftime-show
Quote:
The fallout from the Super Bowl LIV halftime show continues with one man so shook [sic] from seeing the skin of Jennifer Lopez and Shakira that he plans on suing the NFL, Pepsi and his local cable company.

Dave Daubenmire, a Christian activist who is clearly trying to get attention for a podcast he hosts, has announced that because viewing the halftime show in which J-Lo and Shakira gyrated in skimpy outfits for about 15 minutes could put him "in danger of hellfire," he's ready to take action.....

I think we can all assume he leads a very sheltered life.

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Sun 09 Feb , 2020 2:13 pm

I didn't like how they put children in the midst of that dance/orgy thing that was the halftime show.

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Mon 10 Feb , 2020 11:50 am

I didn't see it but it sounds like it was pretty tasteless. These days, the Super Bowl halftime show seems to be a competition to get people talking about you, and I guess that's one way to do it. What's even stranger to me is that companies spend millions on making new ads specifically for the Super Bowl. And it cost millions to buy just a minute of airtime during this game.

Still, I'm sure the guy's TV has an off button if he has never seen a raunchy music video or movie sex scene and didn't want to put himself in danger of hellfire. ;)

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Thu 16 Apr , 2020 10:52 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Small plane makes emergency landing on Quebec highway

This is the road to Montreal so I've actually driven this spot many times :Q

[ img ]

Profile Quote
nienna
Posted: Fri 17 Apr , 2020 7:55 am
The best things in life are not things

:Q

There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Sun 19 Apr , 2020 6:30 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

We had that near here just this past week too!

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Mon 13 Jul , 2020 7:41 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Python gives owner the slip in Gatineau
Quote:
Authorities in Gatineau, Que., are on the lookout for a missing python, but say the wayward serpent poses no threat to people.
Um... how do you know that?
Quote:
Police said the reptile's owner reported it missing on Friday afternoon, but the snake had already been gone for several days. It's thought to be in Hull's Hautes-Plaines neighbourhood.

According to Gatineau police spokesperson Andrée East, the ball python is less than a metre in length.

"It's called that because when the snake is afraid, when it's threatened, it's going to take a ball position," East said. "It's not going to attack, it's just going to hide in a very compact position."
Quote:
The snake isn't considered dangerous, East said.

"We just ask people not to try to touch it if they [find] it."
Don't worry, I wasn't planning to.
Quote:
The Outaouais SPCA confirmed it's also aware of the missing python.

East said pythons can be kept legally in Gatineau, as long as they don't exceed three metres in length. She said the owner is offering a reward for information leading to the snake's return.

"I understand that [for] anyone to see a snake that big in Quebec, it could be really frightening," East said. "We just want people to be aware there could be a snake in their backyard. It can hide anywhere."
Not sure I'm convinced by their repeated assertions of it not being dangerous.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Estel
Posted: Tue 20 Oct , 2020 10:13 am
Pure Kitsch Flavor

“ When asked a further three times whether he had any additional cash stowed in his underpants, the senator angrily shoved his hand into his underwear...”

:LMAO:

https://news.sky.com/story/anti-corrupt ... n-12105222

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Tue 20 Oct , 2020 2:06 pm

Wow.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Fri 30 Oct , 2020 5:57 am

Costco pulling products allegedly made with forced monkey labor

No word on any changes in sales of products based on human working conditions.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Fri 30 Oct , 2020 1:12 pm

Wow. Um...

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 130 of 138  [ 2750 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 1128 129 130 131 132138 »
Jump to: