The Last Homely Site on the Web

Ship of Dreams, Ship of Nightmares - Titanic: April 15, 1912

Post Reply   Page 2 of 7  [ 121 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 57 »
vison
Post subject: Re: Ship of Dreams, Ship of Nightmares - Titanic: April 15, 1912
Posted: Wed 15 Apr , 2009 5:45 pm
Best friends forever

On Saturday my husband and I had lunch at a pub on Vancouver Island. They had a real passenger manifest from RMS Titanic. It was eerie. They also had an original poster from the shipping line, advertising the maiden voyage.

Well, we've had another jolly demonstration of hubris lately, eh? Forces of Nature exist even in Economics. Maybe especially in Economics. :(

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Wed 15 Apr , 2009 6:29 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Yes, Millvina Dean is the last remaining survivor. Read the interview - she's quite an interesting woman, and, at 97, obviously still has all her faculties.
LalaithUrwen wrote:
That reminds me that I read a book awhile ago, probably prompted by someone here or this thread, called Titanic Survivor: The Memoirs of a Stewardess, the story of Violet Jessop. She survived the Brittanic, too! It was a very interesting read, if anyone is intrigued. Her life was just fascinating, really, and her first-hand accounts of these two tragedies (as well as life on several other ships) is compelling.
That was me that recommended the book. And, not only the Titanic and Britannic, she also survived the Olympic!

I can quite imagine that, as they felt and heard the torpedo hit, she must have put down her teacup and sighed melodramatically, "Oh boy, here we go again."

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Wed 15 Apr , 2009 6:42 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

I wondered if it was you. :)

It was a good book, wasn't it? I am amazed that anyone would get on another ship after having survived the Titanic.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Wed 15 Apr , 2009 6:53 pm
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

I guess the fourth time was the charm haha.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Fri 17 Apr , 2009 10:52 am
of Vinyamar

By strange coincidence I'm going to see Titanic: The Musical tonight...

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Mon 20 Apr , 2009 5:31 pm

And how was it?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Mon 20 Apr , 2009 5:34 pm

Heard on NPR this morning that the auction of Ms. Deans things failed to garner the needed funds for her nursing home bills. They were hoping for 50K but only took in about 8K. It looks like Titaic fever has long subsided and died as Leo sank below the waves as it left the theaters.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Mon 20 Apr , 2009 5:57 pm
Aspiring to heresy

That's sad.

What is she going to do now? Surely they won't kick her out of the nursing home?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Mon 20 Apr , 2009 7:44 pm

I agree. That's very sad. :(

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Tue 21 Apr , 2009 8:43 am
of Vinyamar

LalaithUrwen wrote:
And how was it?
Pretty good actually. The music was great, and the sentiment was delicately handled. If I have a criticism, its that there were simply too many characters, and so none were developed enough to really care about. Its a big sing though, you should get a copy Jude!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Tue 21 Apr , 2009 11:22 am
Aspiring to heresy

Are there any good tenor parts?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Tue 21 Apr , 2009 11:26 am
of Vinyamar

They're all bloody Tenor parts from what I could hear! ;)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Mon 01 Jun , 2009 1:55 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Millvina Dean passed away Sunday at the age of 97. She was the last living link to the Titanic.
Quote:
"She was a remarkable, sparkling lady," Haas told the Los Angeles Times on Sunday. "She knew her place in history and was always willing to share her story with others, especially children. She was the last living link to the story."

She had no memory of the disaster, but at age 8 her mother told her what happened. "It was so awful for her that she never wanted to speak about it," Dean said of her mother in a 2002 interview with the Irish News.

Bertram and Georgetta Dean planned to sail to New York City and continue by land to Kansas City, Missouri, where they were going to open a tobacco shop.

They did not expect to travel on the Titanic, but had booked on another ship that was also owned by White Star. A national coal strike led to a cancellation, and they were offered a place on the Titanic.

On their fourth night at sea, April 14, the family was awakened by a jolt when the ship sideswiped the iceberg that cut into the ship.

Bertram Dean went to see what was wrong and returned to tell his wife to dress the children warmly and take them to the lifeboat deck.

"I think it was my father who saved us," Dean said in 2002. "So many other people thought the Titanic would never sink, and they didn't bother. My father didn't take a chance."

Dean, her mother and brother sailed to New York City on the rescue ship and spent several weeks in a hospital before returning to England.

Asked what difference the incident made in her life, Dean was never sentimental. "It changed my life because I would have been American now instead of English," she told the Associated Press in 2002.

Georgetta Dean took her children to live with her parents in their home near Southampton.

Dean ignored the books, movies, clubs, websites and submarine tours of the ship disaster after it was located in 1985.

Her anonymity ended in 1987 when she attended a memorial service in Southampton on the 75th anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic. At the service she was invited to speak at a Titanic Historical Society convention in Boston the following year.

"Suddenly everyone knew my name," Dean later recalled. She became a frequent guest at Titanic-related events, she was interviewed on radio and television, and she was pelted with letters from inquirers.

In 1998, Dean finally completed the sea voyage from Southampton to New York City that she had set out to make 86 years earlier. She traveled on the Queen Elizabeth II, compliments of Michael Rudd, a Titanic enthusiast and travel agent in Missouri.

Dean kept up her Titanic engagements into her 90s.

Dean's mother died in 1975, at 95. Her brother died in 1992 on the 80th anniversary of the ship's sinking. He was 81.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Mon 01 Jun , 2009 2:47 pm

:(

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Mon 01 Jun , 2009 3:41 pm
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

Aw no. :( I felt that one in my gut tbh.

Didn't she recently sell a bunch of memorabilia to pay for her home? The auction didn't bring in much, but principles from the Titanic movie stepped in to make sure she'd never have to pay another cent? Shame she couldn't have enjoyed that a bit longer. On top of everything else.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Mon 01 Jun , 2009 3:50 pm
Aspiring to heresy

I didn't know that principles from the Titanic movie stepped in to help her. Good for them!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Mon 01 Jun , 2009 4:06 pm

I still haven't gotten around to reading past the headline, but this is the only place I'd heard about it:

http://community.livejournal.com/ohnoth ... tml#cutid1

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
RELStuart
Posted: Tue 02 Jun , 2009 5:27 am
Legendury speller

Quote:
When Titanic disappeared at 2:20 AM, fifteen hundred and twenty-three lives were lost that night -- and lost selectively. Ninety-four percent of first class women and children were saved, and sixty percent of first-class passengers overall, but only twenty-five percent of third-class passengers survived. Where 53.4% that could technically have survived the ship's sinking via lifeboats, only 31.6% actually did.
There were mistakes made that night to be sure. And more people could have and should have been saved. And it is certainly easier from the comfort behind our computers to weigh the actions of the people in the midst of this tragedy. But I have to admire the many men that stayed behind after making sure that their wives and children were placed on boats to safety. The genders may be more equal but in that "equality" many men in our current culture have no concept of laying down your life for a spouse and children like in Edwardian times.

"When people don't believe in you, you have to believe in yourself. "
Pierce Brosnan

"Please don't disillusion me. I haven't had breakfast yet." Card

Profile Quote
tolkienpurist
Posted: Tue 02 Jun , 2009 11:49 pm
Unlabeled

RELStuart wrote:
The genders may be more equal but in that "equality" many men in our current culture have no concept of laying down your life for a spouse and children like in Edwardian times.
It seems to me that equality would mean that women should stand as ready as men to lay down their lives for their spouses and children.

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Posted: Wed 03 Jun , 2009 12:20 am
bioalchemist

I was thinking the same, actually. I'm not exactly sure why I'm worth more than S, or S worth more than me. In a survival situation, my guess is we'd take a package deal sort of approach: both of us or neither of us. Also, I've yet to meet a parent who wouldn't lay down for their child.

A while back a plane went off a runway at Denver International Airport and caught fire. Everyone made it out safely, but, somewhere in the early chaos, the entire planeload of people decided that they were going to arrange themselves so that one of the first evacuees was a woman with a baby. They were helping her climb over seats to get her off that plane. In the days since the Titanic, some of the rules have changed, but the fundamentals haven't.

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 7  [ 121 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 57 »
Jump to: