Terror/Police States

Post Reply   Page 38 of 39  [ 768 posts ]
Jump to page « 135 36 37 38 39 »
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Post subject: Re: Terror/Police States
Posted: Sun 10 Jul , 2011 9:39 pm

Michigan Woman Faces 93 Days in Jail for Planting a Vegetable Garden
Quote:
It just doesn't get more ridiculous than this.

Julie Bass of Oak Park, Michigan -- a mother of 6, law-abiding citizen, and gardener -- is facing 93 days in jail after being charged with a misdemeanor.

Her crime? Planting a vegetable garden in the front yard.
Oak Park is a suburb of Detroit, the leading city of Michigan and the first major US city on the path to being considered an ex-City.

The state of politics in that area must be pretty awful to get this petty. One can only imagine what they must have learned in their history classes to allow this to happen.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Mon 11 Jul , 2011 1:25 am
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

I saw that, CG, and I think it's ridiculous. Is there a neighbor complaining? I mean, really, the gardens look very neat and well-kept. And I think it's fantastic that she's growing her own veggies. What a good use of the space in her yard!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Mon 11 Jul , 2011 1:29 pm

That's just stupid, charging her when they don't even have a definition for "suitable" plant material.

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Mon 11 Jul , 2011 4:06 pm
Best friends forever

Idiots.

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Posted: Mon 11 Jul , 2011 6:47 pm
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

Most vegetable and fruit plants have flowers. If I were her, I'd show them a picture of the tomato flowers and say, "Look how pretty they are! I had no idea they would bear edible fruit!!" :D

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Tue 12 Jul , 2011 2:13 am

:LMAO: That's brilliant, elsha! You should suggest it to her.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Tue 12 Jul , 2011 2:22 am
Best friends forever

Potatoes were grown for their flowers in the 17th and 18th centuries, before Europeans were convinced they could eat the tubers.

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Thu 28 Jul , 2011 3:37 pm

You know things are bad when "contempt of cop" is a death penalty offense.

Caught on tape: Police beat and taser 'gentle' mentally-ill homeless man to death
Quote:
A shocking video has been released allegedly showing police officers tasering and beating a homeless man to death who they claim was resisting arrest.

Though the video is not clear, eye witnesses say the homeless man - Kelly Thomas, 37 - was unable to put up any resistance and was lying on the ground on his front when the attack took place on July 5.

His screams and cries for his father can be heard amid the tasering noises.

The video was shot by a student in Fullerton, California. Kelly Thomas was beaten so badly he died in hospital several days later.

According to Gawker, Thomas - who suffered from schizophrenia - caught the attention of the police after someone reported that a burglar was breaking into cars parked near a Fullerton bus station.

When officers approached Thomas in the depot parking lot and tried to arrest him, he resisted.

After that reports diverge.

Police will not issue a statement saying the issue is under investigation but they did say that six officers were involved and two 'suffered broken bones in the fight'.

However, they recently retracted that statement saying that it was only 'soft tissue damage'.

Eye witnesses at the scene claim the six officers tasered him five times and beat him beyond recognition, which the disturbing photo of him in hospital shows.

Mark Turgeon, who was there, said: 'They kept beating him and tasering him. I could hear zapping, and he wasn't even moving.

'He had one arm in front of him like this, he wasn't resisting. And they kept telling him, "He's resisting, quit resisting", and he wasn't resisting.'

Many members of the Fullerton community described Thomas as a passive, peaceful person.

Two officers were suspended shortly after the attack but police will not confirm if it was related to the 37-year-old's death.

Speaking about his son's death, Thomas's dad, Ron Thomas, a former sheriff's deputy, said: 'His death was gang-involved, the way I see it. A gang of rogue officers who brutally beat my son to death.'

He said he now feels ashamed for having ever been a law enforcement officer.

He also wants the D.A. to release a police video that apparently shows the actual beating taking place.

Fullerton police Sgt Andrew Goodrich said that Thomas began to fight officers as they tried to search him.

He said: 'We don't know why he was so combative and resistant to the officers, but it took upwards of five to six officers to subdue him.

'Sometimes when we take people into custody who don't want to go into custody, we have to use force. It is never the preferred way of doing things.'

He said police are conducting an internal investigation into the officers' actions and the District Attorney's Office is conducting a criminal investigation.

The DA's office said they cannot comment on details of cases until they are completed.
Yeah, an "internal investigation". That always works. I wish we could investigate ourselves when the government calls our actions into question.

Heard an interview on the radio, a Jiu Jitsu instructor who trains cops on how to subdue resisting suspects. He said the cops involved were not applying any techniques he would ever teach.

Someday an officer will find himself subjected to the tender mercies of someone who actually can resist, and also knows to yell "quit resisting" to the officer he is subduing. After all, if you yell "quit resisting" over and over, it is "proof" that the person is resisting and you can keep applying force.

No, this guy got the full treatment because he dared lay hands on the anointed body of the state's representatives. No person is allowed to touch their sacred bodies. He was killed for that crime. This was an execution.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
Feredir
Posted: Sat 30 Jul , 2011 8:13 pm

CG, not that I really want to get into a debate but why is it that ANYTHING involving police actions and you automatically have the officers guilty BEFORE having all the facts. Don't say you do have the facts because the police have not released anything. Don't scream coverup either because these investigations take time, you wouldn't want this to be rushed and a guilty officer is not held accountable OR an innocent officer found guilty?

Don't get me wrong, the above story is a tragedy and I hate to read it. But after reading so many stories and posts by you I wonder if anything can really make you happy besides Meril and bashing the police.

freddy

Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Sun 31 Jul , 2011 5:41 am

Look, there's a video. It would take a lot of explanation to explain what is in the video.

What I want is to see the rules that apply to the rest of us apply to the police. There's a video in that case. If you had a video of six people beating one person, you would be pulling out your handcuffs.

The police in that video are still on duty right now, not even on paid leave. Non-police in that situation would be cooling their heels in custody with high bail. If the outcry is big enough, the police first are transferred to desk duty, then to paid leave (a vacation), then unpaid leave, then relieved of duty, and if there are still protests in the street after than then and only then does the possibility of legal action begin.

If I were an officer, and I saw that video, I'd be pulling out my cuffs. Investigations take time, yes. Anyone except a cop would be in custody during the investigation.

Profile Quote
Feredir
Posted: Tue 02 Aug , 2011 6:11 pm

You still didn't answer my question but that's OK. I hope you can find happiness someday.

freddy

Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Tue 02 Aug , 2011 7:13 pm

My answer is in there.

Simply making an arrest doesn't mean that an innocent officer will be convicted. But the fact that no arrest is being made at all is very telling. It is the double standard that I am attacking, a double standard of police protecting police instead of enforcing the law on each other. I want the police to be subject to the laws they enforce.

I heard a radio interview yesterday. It appears that almost all the Fullerton police know who those six were. One of them was bragging about it in the locker room that night. All of them are still on duty and on the streets. Now, since the public doesn't know who those six were, the public is regarding all police as if they were one of the six murderers. And calling them such. It is creating such a morale problem among the police, said the interviewed person.

So why hasn't anyone arrested those six? Why hasn't anyone at least arrested the one who was bragging in the locker room? He basically confessed! If the police can say "while we won't release the names, we have arrested the six and are holding them in custody while we conduct our investigation" that will cause the public to realize that the ones on the street aren't the ones who participated in this murder.

I posted many pages ago, I hold police to a higher standard. Not because I want to see them fail, but because the nature of the job is such that it begs to be held to a higher standard.

Do you have any others in your particular organization who you feel should be subjected to greater scrutiny? Have you subjected them to that scrutiny? If you came upon one of your fellow officers beating a non-resisting and injured suspect while shouting "stop resisting" would you try to stop him? Or would you testify that because your fellow officer was shouting "stop resisting" therefore the person being beaten was obviously resisting?

I'm not asking for a rush to judgment, I'm asking for police to be judged by the same standard. No hiding behind the badge, no counting on the protection of the blue wall of silence. Police held to the same standard as the rest of us, and the police holding each other to the standards they hold the rest of us. A good cop arrests bad cops. Any officer who watches another officer commit a crime without intervening is guilty of aiding and abetting, which makes that officer a bad cop.

I do understand why more police don't do that though. Being a Rogue Cop, in this case defined as a police officer who does stand up to other officers, can get you fired. That article has a few instances of the 1% of police who are given a bad name by the other 99%.

At least you are not agents of the TSA; I would also like to see arrests made there. The gropings have gotten much more intense over the last year. But every time a passenger complains to the police about sex assault or sexual molestation, the police do not make an arrest. Instead the TSO says "let me see your ID" to the passenger, the passenger shows it to a cop instead, and the cop shares the info with the TSO which is a gross violation of the passenger's rights.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Fri 05 Aug , 2011 1:35 am

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Sat 06 Aug , 2011 12:36 am
Aspiring to heresy

[ img ]

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Sat 06 Aug , 2011 3:34 am

:love:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Sat 03 Sep , 2011 12:41 am

http://www.policeone.com/police-heroes/ ... h-victims/
Quote:
September 02, 2011
Video: Police tackle burning car to rescue crash victims
With fire around them, officers pull passengers to safety

By PoliceOne Staff

DES MOINES, Iowa — Dash cam shows Des Moines police save passengers trapped in a burning SUV after a fatal car accident.

In the video, officers arrive and see the vehicle flipped onto its side and in flames. Authorities say it was struck by a Dodge Charger belonging to Michael Lomax, 21, who reportedly ran a red light.

With fire around them, two officers are seen pulling teenage passengers out of the SUV. One officer hoists himself on top of the vehicle, breaks a window, and retrieves the occupants from inside.

Another officer — seen sprinting back and forth between the wreck and the squad car, tossing aside empty canisters — quells the flames while police wait for a fire truck to arrive. Police said the officer used eight fire extinguishers.

Officers Robin Swank, Jeremy Sprague, Aaron Cawthorn, Colin Boone, Sgt. Michael McTaggart, and Reserve Officer John Carter were all involved in the rescue, according to The Des Moines Register. They arrested Lomax, and investigators are waiting to hear if he was intoxicated at the time of the accident.

Three passengers in the Explorer — who ranged in age from 14 to 20 — survived. The 22-year-old passenger in the Charger also survived.

Jennifer Garcia, 17, was killed in the crash. She was driving the SUV.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Thu 08 Sep , 2011 1:59 am
Best friends forever

Not much you can say except they are heroes and I wish they never had to be. :(

On a lighter note, I suffered a cuteness overdose when I saw those puppies. :love:

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Thu 08 Sep , 2011 12:42 pm
Aspiring to heresy

[ img ]

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Feredir
Posted: Sat 24 Sep , 2011 8:30 pm

CG, I figure you saw it but the Compton PD officer involved has been arrested and charged.

Something else I thought of. Why do we arrest people? We arrest people so they have to post bond to ensure that they will appear for court. When you arrest and charge someone the clock starts on the speedy trial requirements which means if you have more investigation to do you have to do it quickly. If you take your time and make sure you have enough to go to trial ASAP then you are making a smart decision. Just something to think about.

freddy

Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Sun 25 Sep , 2011 4:57 am

I saw 2 of the 6 did.

The thing is, while the clock does start ticking when the arrest starts, how long can someone remain in custody after being arrested and being charged while the DA makes a case? It's been 1 1/2 months.

If they were gang-bangers, they'd have been arrested as soon as the DA get get a positive ID. That's what happened in the Dodger's beating case. As soon as they had a suspect they had him in custody. Also, under California law if, for example, there is a bank robbery and the robber shoots and kills a clerk, the driver of the getaway car is also considered to be guilty of murder. What about the other four?

As it turns out, since the DA charged the 2 (out of 6) but the police did not do an internal investigation, the two who are arrested are still suspended with pay. A suspected gang-banger who works at McDonalds will not get any pay while in custody no matter how much the family back home might need it.

There is a reason the two were charged. Three city council members were facing recall as a result of the issue of police abuse, and so the political system had to throw someone to the peasants to keep them contented. The system protects its own to a point, until protecting itself puts the system at risk. Then some are thrown to the rabble to protect the rest.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 38 of 39  [ 768 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 135 36 37 38 39 »
Jump to: