Post Reply   Page 3 of 3  [ 43 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 05 Jan , 2005 10:28 pm
Per aspera ad astra

Eruname....

Mahler is unique.

In fact I'm not a big fan of Mozart, too light, but very good for the nerves. My personnal favour goes to Rimsky-Korsakoff (another Russian) and I love Grieg too.

And Mahler....

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
eärendil
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 05 Jan , 2005 10:33 pm
citoyenne du monde

Dindraug wrote:
Football is a historical point. It's meaning is limited to a historical period and between two points in time. I hav no doubt that it will die out, probably in the next hundred years or so, certainly in the next thousand. It has only been known around the world for a couple of centuries. In real terms, that is an instant.

Socrates did not know football, nor did Gautama Buddah or Jesus or Mohammed or Alaxander or Harold Godwinson or John Paston.
I disagree, according to the Monty Python, Socrates knew football and Archimedes even served him perfectly to score the goal of victory against Kant's German team :P :P :twisted: :rofl:. Sorry, being stupid but i'm in a stupid mood :P :P

Anyway the question of a universal culture is one that has interested me for a while and especially over the last session (my work was titled : the Universal Declaration of Human Rights faced with Cultural Diversity)... I am not going to bore you to death with the 16 pages I wrote about the subject but the question of universality is one that is subject to resistance and is - as I see it - conceptualised in the wrong way. When you pay attention to the different theories you realise that 'universalism' is perceived or used - both by its supporters and opponents - as a means of hegemony that is a vertical relation. It is not supposed to be...

The question to ask first is "what is culture?": one difficult thing to answer as it is... And trying to define it would reduce it somehow. But what I would like to emphasize is that it is one thing that is always in the making unlike what our politicians want to make us believe. It is not static and cannot be departed from identity somehow.

I tend to think that culture do require some sort of sense of citizenship, that is a critical perception from people; to me coca cola is part of the consumer society and not culture in itself. It is part of our life yes, but it is not what makes us who we are, now is it? Well I would not say 'I am who I am because I consume coca cola or buy my furniture at IKEA'...

Sadly my project is in French otherwise I would have posted some extracts in there. But there are many very interesting authors to read on the subject. I especially like Park in that respect who wrote his thesis in German "Masse und Publikum" and was translated into English as "crowd and public" I think... It is about the creation of something that is common to all but that is created by all, and not by one pole of creation and then imposed on every one else.

Just thoughts (not ordered at all :P) about the subject.

Edit: And I agree with Eru, it's not the style of music but more music in itself.
And I also prefer Tchaikovski... me think I have seen all the ballets and operas he wrote :P :P starting with Nutcraker; may I thank Disney for making me discover it when I was barely 7 years old :D :D...

I Endure in order to Reflect
Transcending Order
I seal the Matrix of Endlessness
With the Cosmic tone of Presence
I am guided by the power of Spirit

Who can say if I've been changed for the better, but
Because I knew you,
I have been changed for good

Profile Quote
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 06 Jan , 2005 1:44 pm
Tricksy Elf!

Quote:
I tend to think that culture do require some sort of sense of citizenship, that is a critical perception from people; to me coca cola is part of the consumer society and not culture in itself. It is part of our life yes, but it is not what makes us who we are, now is it? Well I would not say 'I am who I am because I consume coca cola or buy my furniture at IKEA'...
Culture is also a mark of how we are perceived and will be perceived. The historian in me always sees cuture in the way it will be recorded in the future, usually the far distant future.

Think how we perceive an ancient culture. It is not from knowing them but from their records, there remains and their rubbish. Saddly, in our own culture most of our records are electronic, so will be lost. Most of our remains are glass or cheap concreate, which will decompose or brake. Our records will be from the crap we dump. The plastic bottle used to drink water from will outlast everything you do in your lifetime :roll: This also means that coke cans, burst plastic footballs and IKEA carrier bags will outlive our every effort in life.

And future historians and archiologists will know us as the culture the one that drank Coke and carried things in plastic bags showing our icons like Ikea ;)

Oh, and went to war in Iraq but the arguments as to why will fund University departments for millenia.

'When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from delusion, it is called Religion'.

~Robert M. Pirsig

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 3 of 3  [ 43 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 1 2 3
Jump to: