Nin
Post subject: Universal culture?
Posted: Mon 03 Jan , 2005 10:33 pm
Per aspera ad astra

The other day on IM, on the same day, I talked to someone who

- did not know what IKEA was

and

- had not read "The Little Prince".

I had alway somehow taken for granted that everybody know this kind of thing, just like everybody knows Coca-Cola... and it took me some time to get used to the idea that a person I know and like does not know those elementary human cultural values. (The cultural value of IKEA is prooved once you finished one piece without a divorce thought..... ). And this idea came into being:

Does a kind of universal culture exist?

And what do we find in there? (And eventually what would you put in there?)

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 03 Jan , 2005 11:00 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

I trust the person you're referring too was non-European?

I've often wondered about how 'universal' culture is not so very universal at all (except for a few things like Coke and Hamburgers :roll: ) but rather 'continental'. North-America has a different set from the South, Europe sort of pulls along and adds their own 'blend', Africa is a totally different pair of shoes and so is Asia and of course so is the Middle East.
In some instances things overlap - but there are not half as many as we think sometimes.

It's also an age thing :wink: .. and a language thing in some instances. I still don't know why no-one has translated the Swiss 'Globi'. I get totally blank stares when I talk about that most adorable of all Swiss cartoon figures :LMAO:

So - global culture... hmmmm....

- perhaps the statement that Swiss cheese is smelly (to anyone that's not Swiss that is?) :mrgreen:

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 04 Jan , 2005 3:22 am
WYSIWYG

I don't think there's such a thing as universal culture.
It sometimes seems that some things are universal, but that usually just is due to seeing only a limited part of the world, which is mistaken for the whole.

Not saying there's anything wrong with that, on the contrary, it would be unnatural to always want to see the whole, IMO. We can only grasp so and so much, I think, we'd go crazy if tried to do more.

So, yes, like Alandriel said, even within western first world culture you'd find big differences among what is considered universal in that universe. Go to Africa and Asia and nothing is the same.

So, let's extend this to more general cultural things - do you think there is a universal culture when it comes to how people react to people? Love, hate, these sorts of things? Is there anything that is truly universal?

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Farawen
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 04 Jan , 2005 5:25 am
Far out

Is it a bad, bad thing that my first thought when reading the title of this thread was, "Oh, Universal, the film production people?"

Nevermind, don't answer that; yes, it IS a bad, bad thing.

Profile Quote
Mummpizz
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 04 Jan , 2005 8:11 am
Gloriosus

As "universal" not only covers Earth and the solar system, but the whole space with its millions of Galaxies, I doubt there'll be ever something like anything universal.
Even global culture is far fetched. Culture arises from the exchange between people, and some just want to be left alone. I wish I could drop out of global culture in many aspects, like shows of the "american idol" kind and the habit to say "in 2005" in German, but it's like spam and history, you cannot evade it (like Lincoln said, in regards to history, not spam).

– – –

Profile Quote
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 04 Jan , 2005 8:41 am
Tricksy Elf!

Quote:
did not know what IKEA was
Norse god of furniture :mrgreen:

Universal culture bad. It is what the Americans want, and most fundimentalists. I could mention many names that have followed this ideal, and none of them are good. It leads to stagnation and oppression. Who would dictate it?

Having said that, common knowlage of somethings is good. Like Tolkien for example. Or chocolate.......

'When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from delusion, it is called Religion'.

~Robert M. Pirsig

Profile Quote
Breogán
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 04 Jan , 2005 9:49 am

I remember discussing Tolkien in Egypt, among friends. Some of the guys knew his work, and had even seen Fellowship or TTT, but I believe they found this story so remote, they failed to see through its "exotism" and identify concepts which are universal (good vs. evil, friendship, love, duty... ), so they do not care much about it.

However, a few days later, I bore witness to a demonstration of "universal culture": men & football, and the consequent argument abot topics such as the referee's ineptitude... :wink:

Get him bathed and send him to my tent!...
[ img ]

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 04 Jan , 2005 11:01 am
Per aspera ad astra

Maybe I did not express myself as well as I would have liked.. or maybe thsi concept is not clearin my mind, as it does not clearly exist in some way.

I don't think that a universal - or global, my eloquent compatriote - culture does necessarily exist, but at least when speaking to other Europeans and/or those who are like me issued of a judeo-christian cultural background, I sometimes take things for granted - and then have to realise that they are not. Not everybody means the same when talking about friendship, hurt or joy. Concerning feelings, I understand the difference, and also concerning some specific knowledge - I don't expect that an Englishman knows who Schiller is - but I'd expect a German to know Shakespeare - maybe even more than an American, sometimes.

This is sometimes troublesome for me as to judge what can I expect from my students....

And even Breogan's example of football.... my dad does not even know the rules. Does Din? So is he a human being ;)?

one last word to Alandriel: your were (of course) right: the person in question was not European... what made you think of it? IKEA or The Little Prince?

(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 04 Jan , 2005 11:35 am
Troubadour of Ithilien

I don't think Din has watched a football match in his life. Indeed, I would have more chance of explaining the offside rule than him.:mrgreen: I've personally found motorsport to be a more useful universal currency.

But then again, although I'm aware of the story of 'The Little Prince", I have never read it. :shock: I've never bought anything from IKEA either!

It's a good thing surely that there are some corners of the globe where certain brands and ideals haven't permeated.

Also found on Facebook - hunt me down via the MetaTORC group.

[ img ]

I just adore the concept of washing Dirty Horseboys!

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 04 Jan , 2005 11:40 am
Per aspera ad astra

Oh.... the ideal of "The Little Prince".... they should be everywhere.

(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
Breogán
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 04 Jan , 2005 3:18 pm

I don't think I explained myself clearly enough...
Din may not watch/like football, right? but he knows of it, he knows what it is. Same with your dad, Nin, that was my point. Probably it's one of the hardest thing on the planet, to find someone who does not know what football, (soccer, fútbol, calcio...) is.
Quote:
It's a good thing surely that there are some corners of the globe where certain brands and ideals haven't permeated.
Amen! :D

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 04 Jan , 2005 5:14 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

Nin wrote:
what made you think of it? IKEA or The Little Prince?
Both actually :mrgreen: They're very European (although the Little Prince has been translated in many languages and has I believe a wider knowledge-base than IKEA - and I'm glad that's so :mrgreen: )

AMEN indeed! And also a big hurray to those few places that hold steadfast and disallow e.g. Mc D to open shoppe :wink: Some things really don't need to be 'exported' in my humble opinion.

You don't have a copy of "The little prince" Leoba :shock: That's scandalous! :wink: But I'm sure that will soon be remedied - who will be quicker? Nin or me? :wink:

Profile Quote
Guruthostirn
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 04 Jan , 2005 5:21 pm
That Weird American

I've got my own copy of "The Little Prince" :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Courtesy of :hug: Nin :hug: and there's an IKEA nearby, with plenty of ads on TV and radio...

However, I don't think there's a "global culture" as of yet...the question is whether or not such a culture would be a good thing.

That crazy American Jerk...

"No stop signs, speed limits, no body's gonna slow me down..."

"You can run, but you'll die tired." -- What the archer said to the knight.

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 04 Jan , 2005 5:41 pm
Milk and kisses

I'm with Bre. Definitely football, followed closely by Coca Cola!
But maybe the only universal (or rather, global) cultural traits we all share are: love for our families and friends, and the capacity for violence towards "the others".
Or am I getting too philosophical here?

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
Breogán
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 04 Jan , 2005 5:59 pm

Quote:
Or am I getting too philosophical here?
Nah... just your usual :wink:
Now seriously... I couldn't agree more.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 04 Jan , 2005 6:21 pm
Tricksy Elf!

Breogán wrote:
Din may not watch/like football, right? but he knows of it, he knows what it is. Same with your dad, Nin, that was my point. Probably it's one of the hardest thing on the planet, to find someone who does not know what football, (soccer, fútbol, calcio...) is.
But surley Universal would mean something that is known by all, no matter where or when? Universal must mean time as well as space or it is only referring to a single instant.

Football is a historical point. It's meaning is limited to a historical period and between two points in time. I hav no doubt that it will die out, probably in the next hundred years or so, certainly in the next thousand. It has only been known around the world for a couple of centuries. In real terms, that is an instant.

Socrates did not know football, nor did Gautama Buddah or Jesus or Mohammed or Alaxander or Harold Godwinson or John Paston.

The only universals that can be known are those that effect all of hummanity (or beyond), so hunger, fed, night, day, birth and death. All events that will happen in all cultures at somepoint or other (unless night and day fade on some space voyage in the future but you know what I mean).

Besides which, football changes. Not like it was when I were a lad. so is the football my grandfather would know the same as the Soccar played in New York?

:mrgreen:

'When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from delusion, it is called Religion'.

~Robert M. Pirsig

Profile Quote
Breogán
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 04 Jan , 2005 7:57 pm

Din,

Neither did Buddha, JesusChrist, Tao, Mohammed, Socrates or Plato knew of IKEA, The Little Prince, or the relativity theory...
I believe that regardless of this topic's title, we are not talking about "universal", but everyday western culture - even when it's not truly culture what we are discussing here, but icons of this western way of living of ours.
And within those limits, IMO and regardless of the small changes, football, coca-cola, McDonald's... are, unfortunately, world-wide known "values".

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 04 Jan , 2005 8:02 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

Music is often described as a universal language. :mrgreen: (and mathematics too)

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 04 Jan , 2005 8:10 pm
Troubadour of Ithilien

Quote:
(and mathematics too)
Then I am, I fear, in Jaeniver's world of not being able to communicate.

Also found on Facebook - hunt me down via the MetaTORC group.

[ img ]

I just adore the concept of washing Dirty Horseboys!

Profile Quote
Aglanor
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 04 Jan , 2005 8:27 pm
Morituri Nolumus Mori

You can communicate...

You just have a speech impediment...;)

"The moon reflects in her eyes,
And tears fall down like stars.
Her gentle kiss goodnight;
Her dagger stuck in my heart.
My love broken and betrayed