The Last Homely Site on the Web

Rove/ Libby Indictments Near?

Post Reply   Page 6 of 6  [ 106 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 06 Apr , 2006 5:15 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

This sounds like Nixon level stuff. Am I right?

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 06 Apr , 2006 5:24 pm
You are hearing me talk

ToshoftheWuffingas wrote:
This sounds like Nixon level stuff. Am I right?
Perhaps you're familiar with the book Worse Than Watergate? :) I'd be interested to hear comparisons from people who remember the Nixon scandal if any are willing.

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 06 Apr , 2006 5:40 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

I've heard of the title but don't know the jist of its argument.
It may be that I have these revelations wrong but if Bush himself can be shown to have authorised declassifying material in order to compromise the secrecy of an undercover CIA agent purely to discomfort that agent's spouse can he escape impeachment?
I followed Watergate reasonably closely at the time but am no expert on US constitutional affairs.
I presume after Clinton the whole world is expert on US presidential affairs.

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 06 Apr , 2006 7:28 pm
You are hearing me talk

ToshoftheWuffingas wrote:
I've heard of the title but don't know the jist of its argument.
I haven't read it either, but it doesn't appear to be about Plame. However, if things were worse than Watergate before, they are presumably worse than worse than Watergate now.
Quote:
It may be that I have these revelations wrong but if Bush himself can be shown to have authorised declassifying material in order to compromise the secrecy of an undercover CIA agent purely to discomfort that agent's spouse can he escape impeachment?
He's gotten away with an awful lot so far, but he's not a very popular guy right now, so I suppose it might be possible. However; there are more reports coming out now, and it appears what Libby is claiming Bush authorized him to leak is "sensitive information about Iraq" and not specifically Plame's identity (although that's what it turned into). Not sure if (legally) that's better or worse.
MSNBC wrote:
There was no indication in the filing that either Bush or Cheney authorized Libby to disclose Valerie Plame’s CIA identity.

But the disclosure in documents filed Wednesday means that the president and the vice president put Libby in play as a secret provider of information to reporters about prewar intelligence on Iraq.

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 19 Apr , 2006 5:58 am
You are hearing me talk

Watergate whistleblower calls for Senate Hearings on Bush, Now. Thinks impeachment would be premature, but says it's time to start an investigation. "Who knew what when".
Quote:
In terms of imminent, meaningful action by the Congress, however, the question of whether the president should be impeached (or, less severely, censured) remains premature. More important, it is essential that the Senate vote—hopefully before the November elections, and with overwhelming support from both parties—to undertake a full investigation of the conduct of the presidency of George W. Bush, along the lines of the Senate Watergate Committee's investigation during the presidency of Richard M. Nixon.

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 24 Apr , 2006 5:49 pm
You are hearing me talk

This story claims the Illinois state legislature is preparing to use a little-known federal law to initiate impeachment proceedings against Bush.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 6 of 6  [ 106 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6
Jump to: