Rove/ Libby Indictments Near?

Post Reply   Page 4 of 6  [ 106 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 26 Oct , 2005 11:54 pm
His Rosyness

Quote:
The telling point is whether her neighbors knew she was an agent. If they didn't, then there certainly is trouble brewing.
Even if they did, that should not be the end of it. There is a much bigger issue behind all this, which more and more are waking up to. Apparantly Fitzgerald has obtained the Italian report on the forged Niger documents. Hopefully this means there is some substance to the rumour that he wants a new grand jury to investigate the intelligence handling that led to war. This may further uncover the AIPAC spyring that operated within the Pentagon for several years, exposing Israel's role in pushing the US towards war (and now they are the main proponents of the US taking action against their enemies, Iran and Syria).

The details of the leak itself are pretty irrelevant - the motive is what really matters.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 27 Oct , 2005 12:24 am

Cenedril_Gildinaur wrote:
There is a lot of speculation flying around, especially since the Jury adjourned without making any announcements yet. The telling point is whether her neighbors knew she was an agent. If they didn't, then there certainly is trouble brewing.
It appears that they did not. From the L.A. Times:
Quote:
But neighbors contacted by The Times said they told the FBI agents that they had no idea of her agency life, and that they knew her only as a mother of twins who worked as an energy consultant.

The agents "made it clear they were part of the Fitzgerald investigation, and they were basically tying up loose ends," said David Tillotson, a Washington lawyer and neighbor, who was among those interviewed Monday.

"They really only had one interest, and that was to know whether Valerie's identity, on what she did for a living, was known prior to the Novak article. It seemed they were trying to establish clearly that prior to the Novak article she was not widely known on the cocktail circuit," Tillotson said.

"And I pointed out, we were good friends, we socialized with them, and we just had no idea" until her status was made public in the Novak column, Tillotson said. "To that moment, we had no idea whatsoever that Valerie did anything for the government."

Some people familiar with national security investigations said they found this week's questioning to be curious at a time when Fitzgerald appeared to be wrapping up his investigation. They said establishing her covert status should have been a priority at the outset of the case; if her employer was already well known, the prosecutor would not have a case to bring under the agent-protection law.

But others said they suspected that Fitzgerald was just being meticulous, and that he had previously made a judgment about her status and was, in an abundance of caution, looking to further corroborate that belief. The questioning seemed "confirmatory," said one person who was interviewed but who declined to be identified. Some neighbors said they had been interviewed previously by the FBI.

"They basically asked me if I knew what she did prior to the leak," said Marc Lefkowitz, another neighbor. The answer, he said, was an unambiguous "no."

"I knew he was a former ambassador. We had dinner at their house," Lefkowitz said. "She was just a normal mother of twins."
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld ... -headlines

Profile Quote
Teremia
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 27 Oct , 2005 1:22 am
Reads while walking

Just thought I'd better point out that there are NO "normal mothers of twins." I should know. :D

Profile Quote
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 27 Oct , 2005 11:33 pm
His Rosyness

Yet another GOP-related indictment:

Noe indicted for laundering money to Bush campaign

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 28 Oct , 2005 6:49 am
You are hearing me talk

It appears the Libby is being indicted, but Rove is not. However, he and others will remain under investigation.
Quote:
Associates of I. Lewis Libby Jr., Vice President Dick Cheney's chief of staff, expected an indictment on Friday charging him with making false statements to the grand jury in the C.I.A. leak inquiry, lawyers in the case said Thursday.

Karl Rove, President Bush's senior adviser and deputy chief of staff, will not be charged on Friday, but will remain under investigation, people briefed officially about the case said. As a result, they said, the special counsel in the case, Patrick J. Fitzgerald, was likely to extend the term of the federal grand jury beyond its scheduled expiration on Friday.
New York Times

There's this too:
Quote:
The Chicago-based prosecutor has obtained new information from officials targeted in the leak probe, who are now interested in entering into plea discussions, they added.

Fitzgerald intended to announce that he had secured indictments against I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby, Vice President Dick Cheney's chief of staff, and Karl Rove, President Bush's deputy chief of staff, Wednesday afternoon as well as two people who work outside of the administration, those close to the case said.

But his office was contacted late Tuesday by attorneys representing figures outside the White House, lawyers said, who expressed interest in entering into plea talks with the prosecutor. Several have agreed to enter into last-minute plea negotiations with Fitzgerald in exchange for providing testimony that could result in criminal charges being brought against additional officials inside the White House, they added.
Raw Story

This story is older than the NY Times one, which perhaps explains the contradictory information about Rove.

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 28 Oct , 2005 1:19 pm

Official news conference at 2 PM EST today.

NYTimes is reporting that Carl Rove will NOT be indicted. If that holds up as true, Carl Rove is the most skillful political genius of the last fifty years.

He first ran a draft dodger against John McCaine - a true Viet Nam war hero and portrayed Bush as the candidate of the defense establishment and McCaine as soft on the military.

Four years later, Rove does the exact same thing with another decorated Viet Nam war hero - John Kerry. Everyone knew how he did the trick the first time and had four years to prepare, but again, Rove pulls a rabbit out of his hat. And gets away with it!

Now, it looks like he is dodging the bullet through a last minute full court press of the prosecutors office. This guy is a satanic genius.

And I hate him.

It will not be the early Christmas present without Roves head under the prosecutors tree.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 28 Oct , 2005 2:11 pm
His Rosyness

Even more aggravating is that Rove previously got in trouble, and was fired, under Bush senior for cooking up a story with, yet again, Robert Novak.

Was this overlooked??

(I don't have links to the story, but can provide them later.)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 28 Oct , 2005 2:27 pm

As I understand it, he is not being indicted - yet. What may happen in the future is anyone's guess.

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 28 Oct , 2005 2:36 pm
Not so deep as a well

Update: Karl Rove is not being indicted TODAY, but remains under investigation, which sort of implies an extension will be announced in addition to any indictments of Scooter et al.

In a way, that's even worse for the WH. Bad news and yet no end to the tension.

Destiny is a rhythm track on which we must improvise.

In some cases, firing the drummer helps.

Profile Quote
Anthriel
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 28 Oct , 2005 4:43 pm
Seeking my nitid muliebrity

Quote:
Now, it looks like he is dodging the bullet through a last minute full court press of the prosecutors office. This guy is a satanic genius.
OR... perhaps there wasn't enough evidence to indict him?

OR... maybe.... he wasn't guilty?

Is it even possible that the grand jury looked at all the evidence and decided there was no proof of wrongdoing, and (I know this is a stretch) but... he didn't do anything legally wrong?

Hmmmm?

Just trying to keep a little perspective, here...

Profile Quote
WampusCat
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 28 Oct , 2005 4:47 pm

Quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) – Vice presidential adviser I. Lewis “Scooter’ Libby Jr. was indicted Friday on obstruction of justice, false statement and perjury charges in the CIA leak case.
I have a cat named Scooter. He obstructs the stairs sometimes, but fortunately we've never had a problem with leaks.

Word shaper / Soul tender / Melody maker

Profile Quote
Anthriel
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 28 Oct , 2005 4:59 pm

Wampuscat wrote:
Quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) – Vice presidential adviser I. Lewis “Scooter’ Libby Jr. was indicted Friday on obstruction of justice, false statement and perjury charges in the CIA leak case.
I have a cat named Scooter. He obstructs the stairs sometimes, but fortunately we've never had a problem with leaks.

That you know of, anyway.

There could be more to that story...

;)

Profile Quote
WampusCat
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 28 Oct , 2005 5:07 pm

Quote:
BC-APNewsAlert
WASHINGTON (AP) – I. Lewis Libby has resigned his White House position.

Word shaper / Soul tender / Melody maker

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 28 Oct , 2005 5:11 pm

Instead of knocking the train off the tracks all that has happened is a scooter got tilted over.

Anti-climatic at best.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 28 Oct , 2005 5:15 pm
His Rosyness

Quote:
Anti-climatic at best.
Let's just keep our fingers crossed that this isn't the end of it.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Anthriel
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 28 Oct , 2005 6:39 pm

Iavas_Saar wrote:
Quote:
Anti-climatic at best.
Let's just keep our fingers crossed that this isn't the end of it.
Why, Iavas? What if this is the correct decision, and justice has been served?

Would justice being served be enough, or do we just keep digging deeper and deeper until we find SOMETHING to smack the administration down with?

If someone is guilty, they should be punished. I am glad that Libby resigned.. it was the classy and correct thing to do.

I'm just getting flashbacks to the Clinton witchhunt, here...

Profile Quote
Cerin
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 28 Oct , 2005 6:45 pm
Thanks to Holby

Fitzgerald sounds so much like Martin Scorsese!

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 28 Oct , 2005 6:46 pm
Not so deep as a well

Yeah, except Clinton was covering up a hummer, not a causus belli.

If people are going to send our children off to kill and be killed, the very, very least they can do is not lie about why.

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 28 Oct , 2005 6:47 pm

You mean like using the bombing of Serbia to cover up a hummer?

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 28 Oct , 2005 7:06 pm
Not so deep as a well

Actually, I think we would have bombed Serbia regardless. The timing was, shall we say, convenient :whistle: , but there was no need to manufacture a reason for the activity.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 4 of 6  [ 106 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Jump to: