board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Great Presidents - what is an expert opinion?

Post Reply   Page 10 of 10  [ 195 posts ]
Jump to page « 16 7 8 9 10
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 30 Dec , 2005 4:46 pm

Wonderful! So let's discuss this related question, then:

If a PhD does NOT grant you expert status in determining greatness, then what DOES grant you expert status in the subject of greatness?

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 30 Dec , 2005 4:51 pm

"It is not truth that makes man great; but man that makes truth great." ~ Confucius

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 30 Dec , 2005 4:53 pm
Daydream Believer

knowledge

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 30 Dec , 2005 5:00 pm
Daydream Believer

The best rules, are, to talk little, to hear much, to reflect alone upon what has passed in company, to distrust one's own opinions, and value others that deserve it.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 30 Dec , 2005 5:56 pm

All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man.
Henry David Thoreau

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 30 Dec , 2005 6:21 pm

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. ~ Albert Einstein

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 30 Dec , 2005 6:27 pm

(Ara already did that one)

The course of every intellectual, if he pursues his journey long and unflinchingly enough, ends in the obvious, from which the non-intellectuals have never stirred.
-Aldous Huxley

Profile Quote
Onizuka Eikichi
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 30 Dec , 2005 7:36 pm

It is funny to see random Confucian teachings in here. I would bet the lot of you scarcely know of him. You just found a cool-sounding quote and pasted it in here. Quotes are even cooler with a context. :p

Single notes are quite lovely, but they are nothing compared to the symphony. -Me

冬ながら
空より花の
散り来るは
雲のあなたに
春にやあるらん

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 30 Dec , 2005 7:47 pm

which symphony are you talking about?

Profile Quote
Onizuka Eikichi
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 30 Dec , 2005 8:48 pm

sauronsfinger wrote:
which symphony are you talking about?
I finally made a metaphor that someone didn't catch right away! That must mean it's a good one. *logs clever metaphor away*

Anyway, what I was trying to say is, a single quote from a great thinker may have great wisdom or inspiration within, but with the context of the rest of the teachings and an understanding of the quoted and the times they lived in, a whole new level of understanding may be uncovered.

...In that respect, I suppose I was referring to the symphony of life, the universe, and everything. :)

冬ながら
空より花の
散り来るは
雲のあなたに
春にやあるらん

Profile Quote
Meril36
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 30 Dec , 2005 9:49 pm

I guess it would be Symphony no. 42?

Trying for profundity only limits depth.

With all the anger in the land, how long before the judgement day? Before we cut the fat ones down to size? Before the barricades arise?

Visit my art gallery at deviantART.

Profile Quote
Onizuka Eikichi
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 30 Dec , 2005 10:27 pm

Meril36 wrote:
I guess it would be Symphony no. 42?
Yes, as a matter of fact. God began writing it when he was 42, and the orchestra has 42 members who each play a unique instrument for a total of 42 instruments. When each page is layed out single file, it stretches exactly 42 light years long. It is truely a magnificent achievement in music which unfortunately only the divine can truely appreciate.

冬ながら
空より花の
散り来るは
雲のあなたに
春にやあるらん

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 22 Apr , 2006 7:35 pm
You are hearing me talk

The new Rolling Stone article explores the issues of how a historian's opinion compares to a layman's, the nature of "greatness", and which Presidents are generally considered best (and worst). A discussion of the specific judgement the article is premised on probably belongs in another thread.

Rolling Stone
Quote:
In almost every survey of historians dating back to the 1940s, three presidents have emerged as supreme successes: George Washington, Abraham Lincoln and Franklin D. Roosevelt. These were the men who guided the nation through what historians consider its greatest crises: the founding era after the ratification of the Constitution, the Civil War, and the Great Depression and Second World War. Presented with arduous, at times seemingly impossible circumstances, they rallied the nation, governed brilliantly and left the republic more secure than when they entered office.

Calamitous presidents, faced with enormous difficulties -- Buchanan, Andrew Johnson, Hoover and now Bush -- have divided the nation, governed erratically and left the nation worse off. In each case, different factors contributed to the failure: disastrous domestic policies, foreign-policy blunders and military setbacks, executive misconduct, crises of credibility and public trust.

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 23 Apr , 2006 8:36 pm

While I disagreed with some of the analysis, overall I thought the article excellent and he made a damn good case for Bush Jr being our worst president ever.

A title currently held by FDR, IMO.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 23 Apr , 2006 11:02 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

:cheers:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 10 of 10  [ 195 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 16 7 8 9 10
Jump to: