Jump to page « 110 11 12 13 14 »
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 23 Jan , 2006 8:10 am
Tricksy Elf!

Meril36 wrote:
You know the saying. "Those who can't do, teach."
And those that can't teach work in Finance :D

A crusty ol' actuary told me that one, it is amazing the amount of ex-teachers and other socially reprehensible people who go into finance, or law, or politics.

I say stick with flippin burgers.

Profile Quote
Lord_Morningstar
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 23 Jan , 2006 9:15 am

Serious question - is there any point to this thread?

[Space for Rent]

Profile Quote
Onizuka Eikichi
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 23 Jan , 2006 5:43 pm

Meril36 wrote:
You know the saying. "Those who can't do, teach."
Actually, I think it's just, "Those who can't, teach." And, "Those who can't do, teach P.E." :D

冬ながら
空より花の
散り来るは
雲のあなたに
春にやあるらん

Profile Quote
Onizuka Eikichi
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 23 Jan , 2006 6:06 pm

sauronsfinger wrote:
Onizuka

here is a news flash for you THIS IS NOT MANWE on TORC

I was banned there for saying three words in a single post.... "that explains it".
Hmm. You must've been banned for putting the punctuation outside of the parentheses.

冬ながら
空より花の
散り来るは
雲のあなたに
春にやあるらん

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 23 Jan , 2006 6:06 pm
Daydream Believer

Onizuka Eikichi

Being banned from Torc is an honor here at B77.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
Onizuka Eikichi
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 23 Jan , 2006 6:08 pm

Ara-anna wrote:
Onizuka Eikichi

Being banned from Torc is an honor here at B77.
It is!? Damn I didn't know. I'll go and get banned right now! :roll:

冬ながら
空より花の
散り来るは
雲のあなたに
春にやあるらん

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 23 Jan , 2006 6:15 pm

Quote:
I was banned there for saying three words in a single post.... "that explains it".
Gee, somehow I don't buy that that's the full story.
Quote:
Yovargas seems to be trying hard to come up with charter violations to get me banned and he has threatened this before.
I've said a few times now that the whole banning talk was a mistake and apologized for it. I ain't trying to get you banned even though I think your presence often makes quality discussion impossible.
Quote:
what is this TRUTH you refer to?

I thought you were talking about IDEAS.
Ugh. We examine whether an idea is true or false, good or bad, valid or invalid. Examining "credentials" not only does not accomplish any of that, it constantly derails threads into irreleavnt personal bullshit. That little game has been old for months.

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 23 Jan , 2006 6:25 pm
Aspiring to heresy

I don't think this thread is salvageable. I vote that it be dumped into the Bike Racks. You can continue your bickering there.

This is not a punishment - you've both stated that you enjoy trading insults, and bear no ill feeling toward each other. Based on what I've read here recently, I find that a little hard to swallow. But if that's true, I'm sure you'd like nothing better than to duke it out there with each other, while the rest of us can get on with some serious discussion.

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 23 Jan , 2006 6:30 pm

Jude
if you want this in the Bike Racks, thats fine with me, although I am comfortable right here.

I have no rules complaint or violation to allege against CG or anyone else.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 23 Jan , 2006 6:33 pm

sauronsfinger wrote:
If you have no longer any interest in banning anyone, why would you make a post just today saying this
Quote:
Put differently, you prefer to attack the person than to attack the person's ideas, breaking rule #1 in Manwe-esque debates
seems to me that calling someone a rule breaker is just a step away from calling for a hearing on that mean old nasty SOB rule breaker....
I meant debate rule, not charter rule. The idea of "attack the idea, not the poster", commonly and mutually understood by Manweistas, is the only thing that ever allowed civilized discussion to take place there. Your attempts to rationalize why it's okay to attack people instead of ideas don't change the shitty effects it has on attempts to have reasoned discussion.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 23 Jan , 2006 6:34 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

Warnings have already been issued by another Ranger. Sorry, guys, but I'm splitting it to the Bike Racks.
Quote:
Rangers at their discretion may split quarrelsome or disruptive posts and move them to the Bike Racks if they threaten to impinge on member rights.

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 23 Jan , 2006 6:35 pm

yovargas
all this was met in my post on the previous page

please read it.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 23 Jan , 2006 6:49 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

I suppose I should have just locked the thread, because I had a difficult time trying to find all of the posts that deserved to be split off. ETA: Several posts were split off that didn't necessarily "deserve" it. If I felt a post couldn't stand on its own, it went with the rest. Apologies to anyone who feels they were split unfairly.

But here is the new thread.

http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/viewtopic. ... um=board77

Please reserve this thread for actual discussion.

Thank you,

Lali

Last edited by LalaithUrwen on Mon 23 Jan , 2006 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Onizuka Eikichi
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 23 Jan , 2006 6:49 pm

I moved my post here to the new Bike Racks thread. Seems appropriate. :)

冬ながら
空より花の
散り来るは
雲のあなたに
春にやあるらん

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 23 Jan , 2006 9:28 pm

Here is a website that is constantly updated with pension news.

http://www.pensionrights.org/pages/news.html

Here is the latest news on large companies attempting to change employee pension plans.
Quote:
Sprint freezes its employee pension plan
Monday 23 January 2006, 0:33am EST
Printer Friendly | Email Article | Reprints | RSS

NEW YORK, Jan 22 (Reuters) - Sprint Nextel Corp. (S.N: Quote, Profile, Research), the No. 3 U.S. wireless provider, has frozen its pension plan, affecting about 39,000 employees or roughly half of its workforce, a company spokesman said on Sunday.

Several large companies, including telecom rival Verizon Communications (VZ.N: Quote, Profile, Research) and International Business Machines (IBM.N: Quote, Profile, Research), recently announced moves away from traditional pension plans with aims to save billions.

In place of a defined-benefits pension plan, Sprint Nextel is offering workers who sign up for its 401(k) retirement plan a company contribution matching up to 5 percent of their salary, according to company spokesman David Gunasegaram.

Workers will keep pension benefits earned before Sprint Nextel stopped contributing at year-end, he said.

Gunasegaram said he was not immediately able to comment on the financial impact to Sprint Nextel.

"We always continue to review and analyze our benefits plan to ensure associates have the most flexibility," he said.

The freeze will not affect roughly 20,000 workers at Sprint's local phone unit, which is being spun-off this year. The local business plans to keep the program intact. he said.

Sprint Nextel, which currently has about 80,000 employees, was formed in August when Sprint bought Nextel Communications. Nextel did not have a pension plan.

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 08 Mar , 2006 6:43 pm

Retirement Fund Tapped to Avoid National Debt Limit
Quote:
The Treasury Department has started drawing from the civil service pension fund to avoid hitting the $8.2 trillion national debt limit. The move to tap the pension fund follows last month's decision to suspend investments in a retirement savings plan held by government employees.

In a letter to Congress this week, Treasury Secretary John W. Snow said he would rely on the Civil Service Retirement and Disability Fund to avoid bumping up against the statutory debt limit. He said the Treasury is suspending investments and will redeem a portion of the money credited to the fund.

Once Congress raises the debt limit, the Treasury will "restore all due interest and principal" to the pension fund as soon as possible, Snow said. He made a similar promise when the Treasury announced that reinvestment of some assets in the Thrift Savings Plan's government securities fund, or G Fund, had been suspended.

The civil service trust fund will provide the Treasury with several billion dollars for extra borrowing. The fund had an estimated balance of about $655 billion at the start of the year, but only a small portion of that is available to the Treasury because of the statutes restricting the fund's use during "debt issuance suspension" periods. The G Fund has assets of about $65.3 billion, and all are available for Treasury's use.

The Treasury has leaned on federal employee retirement funds in past years when officials worried about a possible default on the national debt, and most federal employees take it in stride. Still, many employees object to the financial maneuvers, arguing that they amount to a raid on their personal accounts.

Colleen M. Kelley , president of the National Treasury Employees Union, said last month that federal employees should not have their pension accounts "used as a rainy day fund. . . . No private-sector employer would ever be allowed to do this."

Snow wrote to Congress that his maneuvers will buy time until mid-March and urged lawmakers "to pass a debt limit increase immediately." He said the Treasury "has now taken all prudent and legal actions to avoid reaching the statutory debt limit."

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 08 Mar , 2006 8:46 pm
You are hearing me talk

As always, The Onion is the only newspaper with the real story.
http://www.theonion.com/content/node/44455

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 08 Mar , 2006 10:00 pm

CG: :shock: I'm glad I didn't stay in a federal job!

Dave: :LMAO: :rofl: :LMAO:

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 09 Mar , 2006 8:07 pm
You are hearing me talk

Disposessing America
Quote:
Meanwhile,Treasury Secretary John Snow informed Congress today (March 6) that the Bush administration has been embezzling from various accounts (or, in the language of the regime, using “all prudent and legal actions”) to avoid exceeding the $8.2 trillion national debt limit.
So the Fed is firing up its printing presses, or the cyber-equivalent, in order to ensure that the coterie of thieves and perverts we call a “government” remains liquid. This explains why the Fed has decided to stop publishing M3 data, oh, at about the same time the debt ceiling is to be raised and another gusher of greenbacks is scheduled to spout. Think of it for a second. A kid who conveniently loses his report card isn't trying to hide his straight-A performance.

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 31 Mar , 2006 1:50 am
You are hearing me talk

I'd like to put a link to my review of American Theocracy: The Peril and Politics of Radical Religion, Oil, and Borrowed Money in the 21st Century here. It's hidden away in the Literary forum and I don't know how often people go there:

http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/viewtopic. ... um=board77

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 13 of 14  [ 261 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 110 11 12 13 14 »
Jump to: