board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Weird and Unusual News Stories- Join In.

Post Reply   Page 111 of 138  [ 2750 posts ]
Jump to page « 1109 110 111 112 113138 »
Jude
Post subject: Re: Weird and Unusual News Stories- Join In.
Posted: Tue 31 Jan , 2017 2:38 pm
Aspiring to heresy

I was wondering that too...

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Tue 31 Jan , 2017 3:38 pm
A green apple painted red

Our elected government, that's who.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Tue 31 Jan , 2017 6:00 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Yesterday I posted that six were killed, and eight were wounded. Now it actually seems that nineteen were wounded. Worse, two people remain in critical condition.

CBC article

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Wed 01 Feb , 2017 1:35 pm

:( :( :(
I'm disappointed that I'm not seeing the outpouring of support in social media that usually follows a tragedy.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Wed 01 Feb , 2017 2:01 pm

There seems to be plenty of support in Canada.
http://www.npr.org/2017/01/31/512592690 ... -community

Otherwise, I think there's a certain sense of fatigue. There seems to be a new shooting by some crazy person every few weeks or months, somewhere in the world, with various targets. After a while, getting online to say "this is horrible" just becomes redundant.

And it's not a slow news week - there's so much else going on in the U.S. Today, the Republicans are preparing to eliminate an executive order that protects streams from nearby mining contamination - using an obscure rule that will prevent such a law from being introduced again in the near future, even under a new administration.

Society can and does execute its own mandates, and if it issues wrong mandates instead of right, or any mandates at all in things with it ought not to meddle, it practices a social tyranny more formidable than many kinds of political oppression, since, though not usually upheld by such extreme penalties, it leaves fewer means of escape, penetrating much more deeply into the details of life, and enslaving the soul itself. ― John Stuart Mill

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Wed 01 Feb , 2017 3:36 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

It is sad that the outpouring isn't there, but I think people are just wrung out. :( Most of my friends are Americans, and we have so much to process here. (That being said, I've certainly commented and reacted to the posts I did see about it, expressing my sorrow.)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Thu 02 Feb , 2017 5:44 pm

Here you go, Frelga. The news is not all bad. :)

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Society/20 ... -neighbors
Quote:
... That was evident again this weekend as back-to-back incidents in Quebec and Texas raised fresh security concerns. Some communities are responding with solidarity with their Muslim neighbors, offering money (more than $1 million was raised to rebuild the mosque in Victoria, Texas) and whatever help they may need to secure their people and places of worship.

“We’ve seen an unprecedented spike in anti-Muslim incidents in the past year or more,” Ibrahim Hooper, national spokesman for the Council on American-Islamic Relations, a Washington D.C.-based Muslim civil rights and advocacy organization...

But, he notes, the spike in hate crimes has been met by a surge in support for the community.

“Every cloud has a silver lining,” he says. “That’s one thing that’s come with the election of Donald Trump is the tremendous amount of support and solidarity being expressed for the Muslim community.”

Society can and does execute its own mandates, and if it issues wrong mandates instead of right, or any mandates at all in things with it ought not to meddle, it practices a social tyranny more formidable than many kinds of political oppression, since, though not usually upheld by such extreme penalties, it leaves fewer means of escape, penetrating much more deeply into the details of life, and enslaving the soul itself. ― John Stuart Mill

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Thu 02 Feb , 2017 8:00 pm

There is a great deal of good news, it's the overall trend that scares me.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Fri 03 Feb , 2017 4:04 pm

On a lighter note,
https://foreignpolicy.com/2016/10/28/th ... diplomacy/

I laughed out loud at China.

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Sat 04 Feb , 2017 12:44 am
Aspiring to heresy

It seems that that article is only available to those who sign up. Can you post some of the highlights?

In more positive news:

'Human chain' at Ottawa Mosque shows solidarity with local Muslims
Quote:
Wafia Hammoud, an organizer at the mosque, handed out cookies and treats to the people who had surrounded the mosque.

"When I see these people, I cry," Hammoud said. "I hug everybody because it makes me very happy they're standing up for us."

[ img ]

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Sat 04 Feb , 2017 4:40 pm

How odd - I'm not signed up, but I have access. I don't want to post too much of it, but here's some of the background and a couple of highlights:
Quote:
For every time you may have traveled internationally and been irritated by some visa problem you encountered along the way, there are people who had the same experience — but are so much more infuriated by it...

Passport can’t be picked up on time? You’re annoyed; they’re furious. ....

And lucky for us, these enraged, resentful, and offended people happen to have Yelp accounts.
Here's China's:
Quote:
“The people who work at the Visa Office are delightful as ever. You would’ve thought I was asking them to drive across the country to pick up my five kids and seven dogs in a zombie apocalypse, the way they reacted to my visa application. ... ”
And Canada's: ;)
Quote:
“The worst embassy ever. . .
I really really advise you to avoid Canada all together.
--------------------------------
This is political, but what the heck, it's still funny:
http://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in ... ling-green
Quote:
A group of New Yorkers held a fake vigil Friday honoring the victims of the Bowling Green massacre, the event referred to by President Trump adviser Kellyanne Conway that never happened.
In a video by the New York Daily News , people chanted "what do we want: alternative facts. when do we want them: now." People also chanted "Bowling Green never remember, always forget."
Do we have a new Sarah Palin to enjoy?

There's also a plan to moon the Trump tower in Chicago, by people who want him to release his taxes like every other recent president.

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Sat 04 Feb , 2017 7:49 pm

That last is probably against some sort of law. Otherwise, hilarious.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Sat 04 Feb , 2017 10:49 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

The ironic (?) thing is there probably was a massacre there at some point involving white people and Native Americans.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Sat 04 Feb , 2017 11:26 pm

Someone made a website for the Bowling Green Massacre victim's fund.

https://www.bowlinggreenmassacrefund.com/

The donation link redirects to the ACLU donations page

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Fri 03 Mar , 2017 2:37 pm

Quote:
American Man Politely Informs Brits He Is Their Next King in Newspaper Ad
https://foreignpolicy.com/2017/03/01/am ... arre-news/

No, it's not Trump. ;)

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Sun 05 Mar , 2017 5:58 am

Nice of him to step up to the job. :D

Here's one site that solved the problem of rants and insults in the comment section of political articles - make people do a quiz about the article before letting them post.

http://www.niemanlab.org/2017/03/this-s ... ommenting/

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Sun 05 Mar , 2017 11:45 am
Aspiring to heresy

Wow, that's a great idea. I hope this catches on to all news sites - maybe the comments will start being worth reading again.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Tue 04 Apr , 2017 7:36 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Number one job I never want to apply for: Australian Customs Agent.

Australian customs intercepts parcel of live snakes, tarantulas and scorpions
Quote:
A parcel full of live venomous snakes, tarantulas and Asian forest scorpions has been intercepted by customs authorities after they x-rayed a box marked “two pair shoes”.

An international mail room in Melbourne discovered 11 snakes, nine tarantulas and four scorpions in the package, sent from northern Europe, on Monday.

The agriculture department’s deputy secretary, Lyn O’Connell, triumphantly declared that “no spider [was] a match for our biosecurity web”.

“We get our tails up when there are scorpions in the mail and if you try send exotic snakes ... we bite back with the full force of the law,” she said in a statement on Tuesday.
Quote:
Among the seized animals were six Wagler’s temple vipers, native to south-east Asia, and two Brazilian salmon pink bird-eating tarantulas, the third-largest tarantula in the world.

Three ball pythons, two hognose snakes, two Colombian giant tarantulas and five Mexican redknee tarantulas rounded out the package.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Tue 04 Apr , 2017 9:28 pm

Jude wrote:
Number one job I never want to apply for: Australian Customs Agent.

Australian customs intercepts parcel of live snakes, tarantulas and scorpions
Quote:
A parcel full of live venomous snakes, tarantulas and Asian forest scorpions has been intercepted by customs authorities after they x-rayed a box marked “two pair shoes”.

An international mail room in Melbourne discovered 11 snakes, nine tarantulas and four scorpions in the package, sent from northern Europe, on Monday.

The agriculture department’s deputy secretary, Lyn O’Connell, triumphantly declared that “no spider [was] a match for our biosecurity web”.

“We get our tails up when there are scorpions in the mail and if you try send exotic snakes ... we bite back with the full force of the law,” she said in a statement on Tuesday.
Quote:
Among the seized animals were six Wagler’s temple vipers, native to south-east Asia, and two Brazilian salmon pink bird-eating tarantulas, the third-largest tarantula in the world.

Three ball pythons, two hognose snakes, two Colombian giant tarantulas and five Mexican redknee tarantulas rounded out the package.
Sending venomous creatures to Australia is the new bringing coal to Newcastle.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Mon 10 Apr , 2017 9:26 pm

OMG, United.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/aliciamelville ... he-airline

They weren't even overbooked, they just needed space for their employees.

I have to fly with them tomorrow. [ img ] [ img ]

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 111 of 138  [ 2750 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 1109 110 111 112 113138 »
Jump to: