board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Weird and Unusual News Stories- Join In.

Post Reply   Page 126 of 138  [ 2750 posts ]
Jump to page « 1124 125 126 127 128138 »
Frelga
Post subject: Re: Weird and Unusual News Stories- Join In.
Posted: Sat 25 May , 2019 5:04 am
A green apple painted red

Meanwhile, Texas is giving Florida some competition.

2 Texas men die trying to jump car over open drawbridge

That was a completely voluntary choice they made.

Mystery behind tiger found in vacant Houston home solved. One woman arrested
Quote:
The year- and-a-half old tiger made headlines on February 11 when it was found in a vacant house by a concerned citizen who entered the home to smoke pot.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Sun 26 May , 2019 3:49 am
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

That poor tiger! I hope he's doing well now.

As for the Texas men, they were in Louisiana. So... I'm not sure where to place the blame.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Sun 26 May , 2019 3:18 pm

I think blaming Texas is funnier.

The poor tiger is now at a park for rescue animals.

But I invite you to imagine that phone call when the poor police dispatcher had to contend with someone who was clearly high and seeing tigers.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Thu 30 May , 2019 3:04 pm

:damnfunny: That's a night they'll never forget.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Thu 30 May , 2019 3:40 pm

Right before we had the tornadoes, we also had a KKK rally. (Related? You decide!)

9 racists showed up. Over 600 counter-protesters also showed up, including:[ img ]

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Wed 05 Jun , 2019 6:34 am

Lali, i saw that, in the context of a relief fundraiser to thank the community for standing up against hate.

This is a cute headline

Firefighters haul ass after pet donkey found trapped in septic tank

First line: "A miniature donkey has caused a stink after falling into a large septic tank, sparking a challenging rescue north of Brisbane."

The donkey is ok.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Wed 05 Jun , 2019 8:09 pm
Aspiring to heresy

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Thu 06 Jun , 2019 2:21 pm

Cutest, maybe.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Thu 20 Jun , 2019 4:37 pm

https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/i ... cel-amazon
Quote:
More than 20,000 people have signed onto a Christian petition asking Netflix to cancel a "blasphemous" TV series... The online petition seeks to have “Good Omens,” a show on Amazon Prime that tells the story of a demon and an angel who team up to defeat the antichrist and prevent the apocalypse, removed from Netflix.

As first reported by The Guardian, the effort is being orchestrated by the Return to Order campaign, which brands itself as a “special campaigns of The Foundation for a Christian Civilization” online.
The news story focuses on these idiots making a mistake and thinking the miniseries is on Netflix and not Amazon.

The bigger picture is that these people are idiots without a sense of humor.

One of their problems with the story is that God is voiced by a woman. Another is that the angel and demon try to stop the coming of the Antichrist and save the earth. :D

It reminds me of the funny stories Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett told about the publicity tour for the book, many years ago. If I remember correctly, at least one interviewer hadn't actually read it and didn't realize it's a little thing we call fiction.

(My only issue with the miniseries is that I like the old traditional cover for the book, either black with a drawing of Aziraphale or white with Crowley. We have a paperback and hardback copy and the paperback is on its last legs after being taken on too many trips as reading material. But I don't like the new paperbacks with the movie-related cover.)

Society can and does execute its own mandates, and if it issues wrong mandates instead of right, or any mandates at all in things with it ought not to meddle, it practices a social tyranny more formidable than many kinds of political oppression, since, though not usually upheld by such extreme penalties, it leaves fewer means of escape, penetrating much more deeply into the details of life, and enslaving the soul itself. ― John Stuart Mill

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Thu 20 Jun , 2019 4:52 pm

And I wasn't sure whether to put this here or in the science thread:

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/4 ... g-hornlike
Quote:
Research suggests young people shifting their posture to use cellphones is causing them to develop hornlike spurs at the base of their skulls, The Washington Post reported Thursday.

Society can and does execute its own mandates, and if it issues wrong mandates instead of right, or any mandates at all in things with it ought not to meddle, it practices a social tyranny more formidable than many kinds of political oppression, since, though not usually upheld by such extreme penalties, it leaves fewer means of escape, penetrating much more deeply into the details of life, and enslaving the soul itself. ― John Stuart Mill

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Thu 20 Jun , 2019 8:16 pm

An MRI a couple of years ago showed "reverse lordosis" in the vertebrae of my neck. That's where the curve in your neck is going the wrong way. The doc said they are seeing a lot of this in young people from cell phone use, but any activity that has you looking toward your lap a lot is likely to cause it. Reading books and crocheting are more likely culprits in my case.

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Thu 20 Jun , 2019 8:18 pm
Aspiring to heresy

I came across a Guardian article covering the same story that aninkling posted. It even contains an actual response from Neil Gaiman:
Quote:
Gaiman responded to the petition on Twitter, writing: “I love that they are going to write to Netflix to try and get #GoodOmens cancelled. Says it all really. This is so beautiful ... Promise me you won’t tell them?”

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Thu 20 Jun , 2019 8:37 pm

The idiots also complained about Eve being black.

Not only is the series not on Netflix, there's nothing to cancel. The series are done, the entire book is adapted in six episodes, there won't be another season.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Fri 21 Jun , 2019 1:48 am

Jude wrote:
I came across a Guardian article covering the same story that aninkling posted.
I just read the last line of your article. These people actually protested an ice cream flavor?! They must be loads of fun at parties.

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Fri 21 Jun , 2019 12:29 pm
Aspiring to heresy

And there's an update!
Quote:
A Christian group calling for the cancellation of Good Omens, a television adaptation of Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman’s 1990 fantasy novel, has admitted to an “oversight” in directing its petition at Netflix when the series is actually made by Amazon Prime.

The Return to Order campaign, an offshoot of the US Foundation for a Christian Civilization, initially directed its ire at Netflix, calling for the site to “stop promoting evil” and “pull this series at once”.

The petition was updated on Thursday to reflect the “oversight by Return to Order staff” and acknowledge that the “offensive” series had, in fact, been released by Amazon. “We regret the mistake, and the protests will be delivered to Amazon when the campaign is complete,” said organisers.

The correction did not come in time to prevent both Netflix and Amazon from getting in on the fun. “Ok we promise not to make any more,” tweeted Netflix yesterday. “Hey @netflix, we’ll cancel Stranger Things if you cancel Good Omens,” tweeted Amazon Prime.

More than 20,000 people have put their name to the petition condemning the BBC/Amazon co-production. Starring David Tennant as the devil Crowley and Michael Sheen as the angel Aziraphale as they try to prevent the apocalypse, the show, according to the petition, “presents devils and Satanists as normal and even good”, “mocks God’s wisdom”, and is “another step to make Satanism appear normal, light and acceptable”.

Gaiman remains unbothered. “You can’t actually make this stuff up ... Bless,” he wrote on his Facebook page yesterday.
Well, that's all right then :D

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Fri 21 Jun , 2019 1:17 pm

I feel like the Bible verse ought to be changed to:

You hypocrite, first take the stick out of your own ass, and then you will stop being such a killjoy to thy brother's existence.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
yovargas
Posted: Sat 22 Jun , 2019 9:59 am

Oh no, I hope Prime doesn't cancel Stranger things!

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Mon 24 Jun , 2019 10:08 pm

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing ... -away-from
Quote:
Residents of Ostritz, Germany, bought up hundreds of crates of beer to keep it out of the hands of neo-Nazis descending on the town for a music festival, according to the BBC.
I assume a good time was had by all, except for the neo-Nazis.

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Thu 27 Jun , 2019 3:41 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Stupid criminals reach a new level of stupidity:

Women arrested after reporting 'hitman' they hired to Spanish police
Quote:
A Spanish woman and her daughter have been arrested after going to a police station to complain that the man they hired to carry out a murder had swindled them out of the €7,000 (£6,300) they paid him.

The incident seemed to begin earlier this month, when the pair told police in Madrid that the mother’s partner had cheated them out of a total of €60,000.

It later emerged the daughter’s partner, who claimed to be a senior member of Spain’s secret services, had suggested they recover the lost money by killing the mother’s boyfriend.

They paid him a €7,000 downpayment on the understanding he would arrange to have the mother’s boyfriend killed and sell the dead man’s organs to raise the €60,000.

When the killing failed to take place, the mother and daughter felt defrauded and went to the police again.

“Officers then proceeded to arrest the two women and set about tracing and arresting the male suspect,” Madrid police said in a statement. “They have not ruled out the possibility that he may have swindled other people.”

They said the three suspects were waiting to appear before a judge and that the victim of the plot had been found “in perfect health”.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
yovargas
Posted: Thu 27 Jun , 2019 11:03 pm

Ugh, what's the world coming to when you can't even trust your hired assassins!

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 126 of 138  [ 2750 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 1124 125 126 127 128138 »
Jump to: