board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Weird and Unusual News Stories- Join In.

Post Reply   Page 112 of 138  [ 2750 posts ]
Jump to page « 1110 111 112 113 114138 »
Frelga
Post subject: Re: Weird and Unusual News Stories- Join In.
Posted: Mon 10 Apr , 2017 9:26 pm
A green apple painted red

OMG, United.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/aliciamelville ... he-airline

They weren't even overbooked, they just needed space for their employees.

I have to fly with them tomorrow. [ img ] [ img ]

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Mon 10 Apr , 2017 9:36 pm
Aspiring to heresy

I read about that too.

I guess you can't change to fly with a different airline?

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Mon 10 Apr , 2017 9:59 pm

Not at this point. I mean, they probably won't do it again tomorrow, right?

Did you see the videos? It was a horror show.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Mon 10 Apr , 2017 10:23 pm
Aspiring to heresy

I read the article, but declined to watch the video. I hope that United's business suffers catastrophically because of this.

So, I assume you're back to flying, then? Did I understand you correctly on HoF that you plan to come if we manage to organize a 2018 Rome m00t?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Mon 10 Apr , 2017 11:39 pm

Plan is putting it a bit too strongly. I'd love to, though.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Tue 11 Apr , 2017 2:17 am
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

Yeah, what was United thinking? Ridiculous!

Where are you flying to? Did you get the shots? Where are you going?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Tue 11 Apr , 2017 2:49 pm

I agree - dragging an adult off the plane like a criminal or a reluctant child?! Awful.
Quote:
They weren't even overbooked, they just needed space for their employees.
I wish it were illegal for airlines to sell seats they don't actually have. People who don't make a fuss when they're chosen, but didn't volunteer to get off the flight, may be just as inconvenienced as this man. If you paid for a flight, and something unforeseen didn't happen (like being forced to use a smaller plane after a mechanical problem), you should be able to fly when you scheduled.
Seems like another instance of companies being allowed to maximize their profits at the expense of people.

Society can and does execute its own mandates, and if it issues wrong mandates instead of right, or any mandates at all in things with it ought not to meddle, it practices a social tyranny more formidable than many kinds of political oppression, since, though not usually upheld by such extreme penalties, it leaves fewer means of escape, penetrating much more deeply into the details of life, and enslaving the soul itself. ― John Stuart Mill

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Wed 12 Apr , 2017 2:59 pm

I may never fly again! :Q

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Wed 12 Apr , 2017 3:14 pm

http://thehill.com/policy/transportatio ... ngers-from
Quote:
United CEO Oscar Munoz said the airline will no longer use law enforcement officials to remove passengers from overbooked flights following the uproar over a video showing a passenger being violently dragged from a plane.
Window dressing that doesn't solve the underlying problem - airlines selling seats they might or might not have.

Society can and does execute its own mandates, and if it issues wrong mandates instead of right, or any mandates at all in things with it ought not to meddle, it practices a social tyranny more formidable than many kinds of political oppression, since, though not usually upheld by such extreme penalties, it leaves fewer means of escape, penetrating much more deeply into the details of life, and enslaving the soul itself. ― John Stuart Mill

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Wed 12 Apr , 2017 8:45 pm

Best headline related to the United incident yet, from WaPo: Crucified man had prior run-in with authorities.

Lali, I came back from my Hawaii vacation. :)

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Thu 13 Apr , 2017 1:52 am
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

Ooooh! Was it fun?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Thu 13 Apr , 2017 2:36 pm

Yup. And very relaxing. :)

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Fri 14 Apr , 2017 12:52 pm
Aspiring to heresy

CBC Article: United and Pepsi face the withering glare of the Internet

The writer seems to think that the public will have its ten minutes of outrage, then forget about it and move on.

What do you think? I hope that's not the case.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Fri 14 Apr , 2017 2:32 pm

For Pepsi, probably true. It was just an ad, and they probably meant well.

United, well. First, there's the "What if it were me" factor. Or my dad. Then, the lawsuit will keep popping up in the news. The competition is all taking potshots. Finally, they already have the reputation for poor service and now they really could be stuck competing on price alone and lose travelers who can afford to spend a bit extra. Why would you take your chances on United if you can fly Swiss and be fed chocolate and real meals for not that much more.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Fri 14 Apr , 2017 2:50 pm

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Fri 14 Apr , 2017 5:30 pm

:D :D :D
Or the Emirates ad about "real" friendly skies. Which then gets shared on social networks with comments about how wonderful they are.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Mon 17 Apr , 2017 3:50 pm

I love it, Maria. :D

Most Americans seem to feel more comfortable flying US airlines than picking a European airline. I do think that the public will have its 10 minutes of outrage (OK, maybe 6 months), then move on. United might have to offer really good sales, but I think that's all it will take. Unfortunately.

United had another bit of bad publicity. Apparently, they kicked off a couple who were on their way to their (?) wedding and had moved to "better" (higher priced) seats in coach without permission. But I suspect there was more to this particular story than meets the eye. I'm sure United has word out to all its employees to treat people very nicely right now. And it sounds too bizarre that they would first tell the couple just to go back to their assigned seats, then kick them off altogether without reason.

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Mon 17 Apr , 2017 6:39 pm

I haven't been happy with flying since our last vacation a year and a half ago. Coming back after a lot of hiking, my leg was cramped and sore. Apparently this showed on the scanner thingy so they wanted to pat me down. I just lifted my skirt and tried to show them my leg didn't have anything strapped on it but the TSA person kind of freaked out and insisted I drop the skirt and then proceeded to feel my leg. :x I'd already showed her. :x There wasn't anything there but a strained, inflamed muscle.

I'd specifically worn a soft silk skirt with no fasteners of any kind so I wouldn't trigger any alarms in the scanner thingy. And it was super easy just to show them nothing was there. But NOoooooo, she had to TOUCH me. :Q ICK. I'd rather walk around naked in front of a crowd than have one stranger touch me.

And then a few weeks ago this video made the rounds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQxQgJWUdY0&t=92s

They can make you stand still for that? :Q My distaste for flight reaches new heights.

And now this- throw random people off the plane and beat them up if they don't cooperate.

That's pretty much the last straw for me. Until the industry undergoes some significant improvements, it's going to take some extreme situation to convince me to get on a jet again. We'll just drive places we want to go. Or maybe take a train. Or a boat. Other than an extreme family emergency, I can't think of anything that would make me patronize any airline right now. :nono:

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Mon 17 Apr , 2017 7:23 pm

Ironically, my experience on this trip was very good. On the way there, son and I got randomly assigned TSA PRE status and went through security in a short line under pre-9/11 rules. Son quipped that it's called TSA PRE because it was preTSA. Hubby was stuck in line for extra twenty minutes.

On the way back from Maui, son spotted that one of the lanes did not have the naked scan machine and we shuffled over and breezed through.

But I've had my legs patted when I wore jeans, and my hair ruffled, literally. I don't know why, I don't have that much hair.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Mon 17 Apr , 2017 10:01 pm

At least you didn't meet this guy (I hope!):
http://www.kiro7.com/news/local/tsa-agent-who-shot-upskirt-video-wont-go-to-jail/512717057
Quote:
TSA agent who shot upskirt video won't go to jail...

The question that still remains: How many women might have been Fernandez's target during the five years he worked for the TSA?
And yet, somehow, his colleagues never noticed what this agent was doing. It took a fellow passenger who reported it to the police.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 112 of 138  [ 2750 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 1110 111 112 113 114138 »
Jump to: