board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Weird and Unusual News Stories- Join In.

Post Reply   Page 113 of 138  [ 2750 posts ]
Jump to page « 1111 112 113 114 115138 »
Jude
Post subject: Re: Weird and Unusual News Stories- Join In.
Posted: Mon 17 Apr , 2017 10:42 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Interesting - but what the headline doesn't say is that he had to register as a sex offender, which could have more long-lasting consequences for the rest of his life. I actually think that the sentence he ended up with is more appropriate than a mere jail sentence.

Off-topic rant: it's impossible to read the article below the video because the pause button doesn't work. It stops the video for a couple of seconds and then just goes merrily on, no matter how many times you try to pause it. And when the video finishes, it loads another video for an unrelated news item without giving the user a chance to decline to watch the next video. This sort of design is just plain idiotic.

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Tue 18 Apr , 2017 2:08 pm

One reason I love video blockers (besides the bandwidth issue). :) The ones I really hate, though, are the sites that want to start playing music the minute you visit. I don't think there's a convenient add-on to selectively block those, though I think I have them mostly tamed by modifying Firefox preferences and using about:config.

Society can and does execute its own mandates, and if it issues wrong mandates instead of right, or any mandates at all in things with it ought not to meddle, it practices a social tyranny more formidable than many kinds of political oppression, since, though not usually upheld by such extreme penalties, it leaves fewer means of escape, penetrating much more deeply into the details of life, and enslaving the soul itself. ― John Stuart Mill

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Tue 18 Apr , 2017 11:30 pm
Aspiring to heresy

United CEO says no one will be fired for dragging incident
Quote:
The CEO of United Airlines says no one will be fired over the dragging of a man off a plane — including himself.
I sincerely hope they go bankrupt.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Wed 19 Apr , 2017 2:30 pm

Does United even have any jurisdiction over the people who dragged the man off the plane? I thought they were airport security.

I would certainly be on board with firing the people who actually decided to drag him off a plane like that (and especially a 70 year old man!). Especially the one guy who started by being aggressive with him, when the other two were trying to talk him into getting off (according to an interview with a veterinarian sitting in the row behind him). Though the other two are certainly to blame for participating, and I'd fire them too.

But I don't think I'd fire the flight attendants for insisting that the person they picked should be the one to leave, and calling airport security when he didn't. There were better solutions they could have come up with, but retraining them to be more flexible seems more appropriate. Making them lose their income, and probably have a hard time finding a new job, seems draconian. I think people are too quick to say "fire him/her" for every mistake, when there are real consequences to firing someone, and what we really need is a change in airline policy.

Society can and does execute its own mandates, and if it issues wrong mandates instead of right, or any mandates at all in things with it ought not to meddle, it practices a social tyranny more formidable than many kinds of political oppression, since, though not usually upheld by such extreme penalties, it leaves fewer means of escape, penetrating much more deeply into the details of life, and enslaving the soul itself. ― John Stuart Mill

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Wed 19 Apr , 2017 2:57 pm

On the lighter side...

https://foreignpolicy.com/2017/04/18/ca ... to-russia/
Quote:
California Secessionist Leader Throws in Towel, Moves to Russia

What do you do when you’re the leader of a U.S. secessionist movement losing support because you’re backed by Russia? If you’re California’s Louis Marinelli, you give up and decide to settle in Russia.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Thu 20 Apr , 2017 10:47 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

That's a pretty good solution, inky. ;)

And I agree with you about United. I think they could've handled the situation better, but it's really airport security (or whoever they were) who is at fault.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Thu 27 Apr , 2017 1:47 am
A green apple painted red

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Thu 27 Apr , 2017 1:44 pm

"Sudden death" is not an uncommon event in animals - it can be caused by lots of things, from overwhelming infection (some species tend to hide illness) to bloat. I'd wait for the necropsy and test results before concluding that United is at fault.

That said, animals do die occasionally when they're transported in the cargo hold of airplanes. If I had to fly with our cat, I'd make arrangements for her to be in a carrier under my seat in the passenger section, where I could keep an eye on her.

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Fri 28 Apr , 2017 2:37 pm

And now Delta's making headlines.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dr- ... tid=pm_pop
Quote:
A Wisconsin man said he was removed from a Delta Air Lines flight because he had to get up from his seat to make an emergency restroom run.

A video shows the passenger, identified as 39-year-old Kima Hamilton, attempting to explain the situation last week to an agent who was instructing him to depart the plane traveling from Atlanta to Milwaukee.
Better make sure you don't have to urinate if your plane spends a prolonged time on the tarmac. You - and all the other passengers - will be punished for it.

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Mon 08 May , 2017 12:42 pm

In a twisted way, it's nice to see an over-the-top reaction from offended people somewhere other than the US. We're not the only ones with loonies...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39830447
Quote:
Police in the Republic of Ireland have launched an investigation after a viewer claimed comments made by Stephen Fry on a TV show were blasphemous.

Officers are understood to be examining whether the British comedian committed a criminal offence under the Defamation Act when he appeared on RTE in 2015.

Fry had asked why he should "respect a capricious, mean-minded, stupid god who creates a world.... full of injustice".

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Mon 08 May , 2017 1:13 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Ireland actually has an anti-blasphemy law. We even have a thread about it: link

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Mon 08 May , 2017 2:01 pm
of Vinyamar

The interesting thing here is that the person who reported Fry has remained anonymous, but stated that they were "not offended" by his comments, and were simply doing their civic duty in reporting that a law had been broken. Looks very much like someone is trying to provoke a repeal of the law by highlighting its stupidity, using a high profile defendant. Clever.

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Mon 08 May , 2017 4:26 pm
A green apple painted red

Well, I have a slightly different reaction to anonymous snitches who volunteer someone else to fight their battles, but I suppose that's one way of doing it.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Mon 08 May , 2017 4:45 pm

Does it have this:

:cow:

as part of the word, Frelga?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Tue 09 May , 2017 10:45 am
Aspiring to heresy

Irish beach washed away 33 years ago reappears overnight after freak tide
Quote:
Villagers express delight after entire beach that vanished in Achill Island storms in 1984 turns back sands of time

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Sun 04 Jun , 2017 11:00 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Do you use Uber? I've heard many reports that they exploit their drivers.

What do you think of this report:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Posted: Mon 05 Jun , 2017 5:29 pm
You are hearing me talk

I expect that, in fairly short order, Uber's drivers will be replaced by robots. Or Uber will be replaced by a service that uses robots. We may see an end to personal automobile ownership in the aftermath of that, or at least to de facto mandatory personal automobile ownership, which is probably a good thing. But what will happen to all the land currently committed to parking lots?

The argument in the video seems pretty solid (I wasn't going to watch the whole thing, but then for some reason I did ;)). The only thing I might quibble with is deducting the cost of car insurance from your takehome, because you were going to pay that anyway (though you may well end up paying more if you start driving a ton of miles and/or having more accidents). But that only makes up a small piece of the pie anyway.

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Fri 09 Jun , 2017 11:24 am
Aspiring to heresy

Bill Cosby should be grateful to Donald Trump - otherwise his trial for sexual assault would be on the front pages every day.

I think there's little doubt that he's a serial rapist. Even if they don't produce a conviction, his reputation and legacy have been completely destroyed, which is arguably as bad or worse than 10 years in prison.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Fri 09 Jun , 2017 3:04 pm

I've only caught glimpses of news coverage about this, so you're right.

But I do hope they convict him.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Thu 15 Jun , 2017 10:42 pm

As summer begins, the trials and tribulations of a beach town over whether women can sunbathe topless. :D

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/in ... story.html
Quote:
In Ocean City, Hooters, thongs and horror over topless women on the beach

On a sunny day on the boardwalk, with salt on her skin and ocean breezes snapping the American flag behind her, Cynthia Heath did not want her perfect beach vacation ruined by toplessness.

“Not here, Ocean City is not that kind of place, it’s a family place. Absolutely not,” Heath, 55, said, leaving the restaurant where she just had lunch with her husband, her 9-year-old granddaughter and her granddaughter’s friend.

They ate at Hooters.
Quote:
So what did people on the beach make of it all? No better place to start than at a beerless beer pong party right on the sand. When I asked about toplessness, there was silence, as all seven young men froze in place, their eyes widening. Then, a beat later, they started chanting, fists in the air: “Take it off! Take it off!”

“Can you tell all of them to take their tops off?” asked a very hopeful 18-year-old who had come to Ocean City with a group of friends from Pottsville, Pa.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 113 of 138  [ 2750 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 1111 112 113 114 115138 »
Jump to: