board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Weird and Unusual News Stories- Join In.

Post Reply   Page 129 of 138  [ 2750 posts ]
Jump to page « 1127 128 129 130 131138 »
yovargas
Post subject: Re: Weird and Unusual News Stories- Join In.
Posted: Thu 14 Nov , 2019 5:23 pm

"An unknown number of boars allegedly dug up and destroyed the gang's packages, dispersing their contents in the woods."

Come now, we all know it was 30 - 50 of them.

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Fri 15 Nov , 2019 9:31 pm

Maybe they didn't get it all? ;)

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watc ... ine-filled
Quote:
Texas state lawmaker faces felony charge after dropping cocaine-filled envelope at airport

Society can and does execute its own mandates, and if it issues wrong mandates instead of right, or any mandates at all in things with it ought not to meddle, it practices a social tyranny more formidable than many kinds of political oppression, since, though not usually upheld by such extreme penalties, it leaves fewer means of escape, penetrating much more deeply into the details of life, and enslaving the soul itself. ― John Stuart Mill

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Sat 16 Nov , 2019 7:29 am
A green apple painted red

IS Texas State lawmaker the new Florida man?

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Fri 22 Nov , 2019 2:54 pm

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 13566.html
Quote:
Furious Harry Potter fans demand refunds after 'world of magical wonder' turns out to be room with finger buffet and wands made out of chopsticks

‘The whole vibe was a huge downer. It was supposed to be adults-only but seems to have been organised by a 10-year-old’
It doesn't sound like they got much for their $50 except a few drinks to drown their sorrows. Then again, I'd probably be wary of an event organized by something called LOL Events.

Society can and does execute its own mandates, and if it issues wrong mandates instead of right, or any mandates at all in things with it ought not to meddle, it practices a social tyranny more formidable than many kinds of political oppression, since, though not usually upheld by such extreme penalties, it leaves fewer means of escape, penetrating much more deeply into the details of life, and enslaving the soul itself. ― John Stuart Mill

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Mon 25 Nov , 2019 2:46 pm

For nearly $2,000, you too can look like you just escaped from a Nazi concentration camp.
https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/i ... -resembled
Quote:
A luxury fashion brand in Spain has pulled clothing from its line after critics compared it to uniforms worn in concentration camps during the Holocaust.

...The apology by Loewe came several days after a popular fashion Instagram account, known as “Diet Prada,” called the line’s ensemble, which featured a matching set of striped pants and a long-sleeve button shirt, “concentration camp uniforms.”

“Unable to see anything but concentration camp uniforms in this $1,840 ensemble from [Loewe’s] William De Morgan capsule, a collection meant to ‘capture a freedom of imagination,’” the account wrote in a post criticizing the clothing....

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Wed 04 Dec , 2019 3:08 pm

These $60 ‘anti-loss’ straps turn your AirPods into normal headphones

Sounds like a perfect accessory for people who pay *checks price* Holy Cow $160? for something that looks like tubes for draining an ear infection.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Wed 04 Dec , 2019 8:26 pm

My guess:

$2 for the materials
$5 for the manufacturing
$53 for the advertising
$100, just because we can

Never underestimate the power of "trendy." People once paid money for pet rocks.

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Thu 05 Dec , 2019 3:00 pm

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Fri 06 Dec , 2019 2:07 pm

Now that's longevity. :Q

Speaking of overpriced things, I thought the Twitterverse outrage over a Peloton ad was ridiculous (and still do). But I have to admit, their model (picture in the link below) does NOT look like she's having fun. :D

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/arch ... sy/603148/
Quote:
The fancy bike brand tried to depict a wellness journey. It didn’t go as planned.
btw, I bought a "spinner" type exercise bike a few years ago, for winter weeks when the roads are too icy to cycle. It's more like real cycling than the usual exercise bikes- they felt like I was just sitting on a bench and moving my legs, when I tried them out. It was a fraction of the cost of the $2400 Pelotons. (I think it cost something like $300-400, on sale). But, of course, you can't film yourself (why?!!) or get on WiFi and show everyone how trendy you are... ;)

Profile Quote
yovargas
Posted: Sat 07 Dec , 2019 4:02 am

You know nothing - NOTHING! - of bafflingly overpriced things until you read this - at least 2 people paid $120,000 for a banana because someone decided to call it art:

https://www.theartnewspaper.com/news/th ... n-15-years

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Sat 07 Dec , 2019 7:13 am

I saw that! I... I've got nothing. 0

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Mon 09 Dec , 2019 12:39 pm
of Vinyamar

You missed the best part. A performance artist responded by eating the banana...

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesig ... tion-video

Crucially though, the art is undagamed. It can be replaced with anopther banana, because, apparently its the "idea" of the banana that is worth $120k.

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
yovargas
Posted: Mon 09 Dec , 2019 5:08 pm

Not sure how accurate it is but I read somewhere that it's actually a set of instructions, signed by the artist, for hanging up the banana that you get for your $120k. At least a signed piece of paper will last longer than a banana I guess....

I really, really wish somebody tried to look into who it is that pays for this stuff and tried to understand why. You'll see this kind of story occasionally about some ridiculous sale of some ridiculous art but nobody ever tries to explain why this kind of thing happens. I certainly don't believe it's because these rich people just love the art so much.

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Mon 09 Dec , 2019 10:33 pm

Quote:
UPDATE (4 December): Dealer Emmanuel Perrotin tells us: “The first edition of the banana was sold at 1:15PM. Edition two sold at 3:30PM and we are in discussion for edition three with a museum. Maurizio is seriously back."
:scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Mon 09 Dec , 2019 10:41 pm

Quote:
I really, really wish somebody tried to look into who it is that pays for this stuff and tried to understand why. You'll see this kind of story occasionally about some ridiculous sale of some ridiculous art but nobody ever tries to explain why this kind of thing happens. I certainly don't believe it's because these rich people just love the art so much.
Tax write-offs???
https://www.bnymellonwealth.com/article ... rtwork.jsp

Or a status symbol? Some people do seem to love being seen as avant garde.

Or maybe they're just bananas. ;)

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Tue 10 Dec , 2019 6:26 am

aninkling wrote:

Speaking of overpriced things, I thought the Twitterverse outrage over a Peloton ad was ridiculous (and still do). But I have to admit, their model (picture in the link below) does NOT look like she's having fun. :D

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/arch ... sy/603148/
Quote:
The fancy bike brand tried to depict a wellness journey. It didn’t go as planned.
btw, I bought a "spinner" type exercise bike a few years ago, for winter weeks when the roads are too icy to cycle. It's more like real cycling than the usual exercise bikes- they felt like I was just sitting on a bench and moving my legs, when I tried them out. It was a fraction of the cost of the $2400 Pelotons. (I think it cost something like $300-400, on sale). But, of course, you can't film yourself (why?!!) or get on WiFi and show everyone how trendy you are... ;)
Twitter? Overreacting? Surely you jest. :D

It was a badly done ad, though. It looks like for the woman in the ad, the bike is unwanted and not enjoyable, and although she says it changed her, she's still as skinny and twitchy at the end as at the beginning.

Imagine. A small group of diverse but fit bicyclists finish a ride on a relatively flat road as first snowflakes begin to fall. They are sad because they will have to give up their passion until the spring. But wait! They all have magical wifi bikes. We follow them as they support each other over that stupid screen, as Christmas lights go up, then down, snow piles up and then melts. At the end, we see them ride off together, in the fresh spring time, on a much more challenging road. Because they are now stronger physically and in friendship.

And no, Peleton, you can't use this idea for your next commercial.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Tue 10 Dec , 2019 2:39 pm

aninkling wrote:
Or maybe they're just bananas. ;)
:rofl: :rofl:

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Tue 17 Dec , 2019 6:26 pm

Yeah, well, I first wrote nuts, but then couldn't resist and changed it to bananas. :)

Blame my childhood - my dad was fond of bad puns and wordplay. ;)

Quote:
Imagine. A small group of diverse but fit bicyclists finish a ride on a relatively flat road as first snowflakes begin to fall. They are sad because they will have to give up their passion until the spring. But wait! They all have magical wifi bikes. We follow them as they support each other over that stupid screen, as Christmas lights go up, then down, snow piles up and then melts. At the end, we see them ride off together, in the fresh spring time, on a much more challenging road. Because they are now stronger physically and in friendship.

And no, Peleton, you can't use this idea for your next commercial.
The only problem with this is that it might be targeting the wrong audience. I suspect that, if you give the average cyclist $2500 to spend, they're going to say "Forget the damn Peloton. I'm going to buy myself a really nice road bike." ;)
Plus maybe a cheap trainer to mount the bike for winter training.

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Sun 22 Dec , 2019 12:58 am

OK, point taken. :D I am emphatically not a biker. Although I am considering an exercise bike for my home as it's one of the few things I can do to get my heart rate up without aggravating my ankle and knees.

But I guess most people would come up with something to spend 2500 on that is not Peleton.

This one appears to be the case of accidentally retaining test data in production. Although I wonder how reliable the rest of the data is.

US government lists fictional nation Wakanda as trade partner
Quote:
The department's online tariff tracker hosted a detailed list of goods the two nations apparently traded, including ducks, donkeys and dairy cows.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Mon 23 Dec , 2019 1:51 pm

I'm a long-time cyclist and sometime bike commuter, at least when I've lived in bike-friendly towns. But I'm not a "serious" cyclist (I go out for pleasure and exercise, not to maximize my riding miles and speed) and I'm perfectly happy with the nice touring type, drop handlebar bike I've had for more than 25 years. But I do understand cyclists and bike lust. :D

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 129 of 138  [ 2750 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 1127 128 129 130 131138 »
Jump to: