board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web
It is currently Wed 12 Dec , 2018 3:39 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2423 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119 ... 122  Next
PostPosted: Sun 17 Dec , 2017 8:13 pm 

Just what people need - another reason to move less. And here I thought remote controls for portable fans were the ultimate in laziness.

That no river is a river which does not flow.

- Louis MacNeice, Autumn Journal

Trump Warns That Democrats Would Drag Nation Back to Days of Tolerance and Decorum

PostPosted: Mon 18 Dec , 2017 2:14 pm 
A green apple painted red

It did occur to me that it would help people with mobility issues. But yeah, most of us would benefit from a fridge that runs away if we are already over the calorie allowance.

PostPosted: Wed 27 Dec , 2017 9:55 am 

I am not the biggest fan of recreational DNA testing, but this is pretty cool.

Decades-Long Friends Learn They're Biological Brothers

PostPosted: Fri 29 Dec , 2017 2:17 am 
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

That is really cool! :)

PostPosted: Sun 14 Jan , 2018 9:04 am 

Well, that was certainly weird and unusual. Although the first time ever when I was happy to not be in Hawaii.

Hawaii Officials Mistakenly Warn of Inbound Missile

Quote:
The emergency alert sent to cellphones said in all caps, “Ballistic missile threat inbound to Hawaii. Seek immediate shelter. This is not a drill.”

It took almost 40 minutes for an official statement to come out about the alert.

The incident prompted defense agencies including the Pentagon and the U.S. Pacific Command to issue the same statement, that they had “detected no ballistic missile threat to Hawaii.”

Michael Kucharek, spokesman for the North American Aerospace Defense Command in Colorado Springs, Colorado, said NORAD and the U.S. Northern Command are still trying to verify what happened in Hawaii — but that “NORAD did not see anything that indicated any sort of threat to Hawaii.”

PostPosted: Sun 14 Jan , 2018 1:30 pm 

I saw that. WTF, really?!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue 16 Jan , 2018 11:50 pm 
Aspiring to heresy

Check this link out, which is relevant to recent events, and makes fun of crappy design:

https://gfycat.com/ChubbyDeafeningAfricanelephant

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

PostPosted: Sun 25 Feb , 2018 1:20 pm 
Aspiring to heresy

Some news from Stephen Fry:

It's been well over a year since my last check-up. I'd better get on that next week.

PostPosted: Wed 28 Feb , 2018 11:35 pm 

Only in the U.S.
(At least, I hope these particular lunatics don't exist elsewhere!)

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/376121-pennsylvania-church-holds-ar-15-blessing-ceremony
Quote:
A Pennsylvania church on Wednesday held a blessing ceremony for couples and their AR-15 rifles.

The World Peace and Unification Sanctuary hosted the event, at which couples wearing white dresses and dark suits renewed their vows and received blessings on their unloaded firearms, according to the Chicago Tribune.

...The group views AR-15s as religious symbols, and has previously held events featuring the rifles.

Trump Warns That Democrats Would Drag Nation Back to Days of Tolerance and Decorum

PostPosted: Thu 08 Mar , 2018 11:25 pm 

I saw that. Completely ridiculous and disturbing.

PostPosted: Fri 09 Mar , 2018 1:53 am 

I know. On the one hand, I'm rolling my eyes and wanting to laugh at this bizarre ritual. On the other, anyone who views their gun as a religious symbol doesn't seem sane enough to own one.

PostPosted: Fri 09 Mar , 2018 4:15 pm 

It's possible the emphasis on guns is a marketing ploy. Their leader's brother is a gun manufacturer.

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/news/in ... _is_b.html

Quote:
Who was the Rev. Sun Myung Moon, founder of Unification Church?
Moon, Sanctuary Church leader, is the son of the Rev. Sun Myung Moon, who founded the Unification Church.

The elder Moon was a "Korean evangelist, businessman and self-proclaimed messiah who built a religious movement notable for its mass weddings, fresh-faced proselytizers and links to vast commercial interests," The New York Times said following his death in 2012. He was 92.

Sanctuary Church is a splinter offshoot of the Unification Church, whose followers are sometimes called "Moonies," according to the Southern Poverty Law Center that tracks hate groups are the United States.

The center refers to the church as a cult, a term also ascribed to Unification Church itself. Unification Church has distanced itself from Wednesday's event, saying its ceremonies and theology do not involve weapons.

"It saddens us that Reverend Moon's son has chosen to separate himself and walk in opposition to his parent's legacy building world peace," the Rev. Richard Buessing, president of Family Federation, another name for the Unification Church, said in a statement.

The Rev. Sean Moon's brother, Justin Moon, founded Kahr Firearms Group, a gun manufacturer based in Greeley, Pennsylvania, in Pike County. Kahr owns Auto-Ordnance, maker of the "Tommy Gun" semiautomatic rifle, and Magnum Research Inc., known for the Desert Eagle line of handguns.

PostPosted: Fri 09 Mar , 2018 11:32 pm 
Aspiring to heresy

'Pharma Bro' Martin Shkreli gets 7 years in securities fraud case

I have to confess to being guilty of schadenfreude, especially when I read this:

Quote:
The smirk wiped off his face, a crying Martin Shkreli was sentenced to seven years in prison for securities fraud Friday in a hard fall for the pharmaceutical-industry bad boy vilified for jacking up the price of a lifesaving drug.

Mind you, the case was not about jacking up the price of a life-saving drug, for which he is universally hated; it was about an unrelated securities fraud case.

Also:

Quote:
His own lawyer confessed to wanting to punch him in the face sometimes.

PostPosted: Sun 11 Mar , 2018 5:26 am 

Him and 200 million other people.

I don't even know where to put this, so here it goes.

Obama in Talks to Provide Shows for Netflix

The article makes some interesting points.

PostPosted: Tue 20 Mar , 2018 1:56 pm 

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2018/04/which-kind-of-dog-are-you/554087
Quote:
Can a Simple Test Match You With Your Perfect Dog?
Chaz is a free spirit. Iris is a good girl looking for love. Dylan is a foodie who isn’t sure how he feels about kids. Luke likes long walks—really long walks. All of them are ready for a long-term relationship. In fact, they’d like to move in right away. All of them are dogs.

Taking a cue from dating websites, a number of programs have begun using personality tests to pair pets with owners. For example, PawsLikeMe, a website described by a co-founder as “eHarmony for people and pets,” gives humans a questionnaire to gauge their lifestyle and expectations, then returns dating-site-style bios of rescue dogs.

...Human–animal matchmaking may sound fanciful, but it mirrors a renewed scientific interest in animal personality. Having moved beyond the fear of anthropomorphism associated with researchers like Jane Goodall (who was ridiculed for “inventing” personality traits for chimps in the 1950s and ’60s), scientists are actively exploring animal personality’s implications for everything from daily care to evolution. As John Shivik, the author of Mousy Cats and Sheepish Coyotes, points out, a species’ survival depends on diversity, including of personality. “If you don’t have variation, you will go extinct,” he says, noting that traits that are advantageous in one situation may not be in another.

And, on a more sober note, the Atlantic discusses the real limitations of self-driving car technology after the second death from a self-driving car (the first where a pedestrian killed by one). Needless to say, it's nowhere near as good as the companies promoting it have claimed.
https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2018/03/uber-self-driving-fatality-arizona/556001/
Quote:
As the National Transportation Safety Board opens an inquiry into the latest crash, it’s a good time for a critical review of the technical literature of self-driving cars. This literature reveals that autonomous vehicles don’t work as well as their creators might like the public to believe.

btw, self-driving trucks are already on the road, without news media pointing out any of the risks.
http://money.cnn.com/2018/03/07/technology/uber-trucks-autonomous/
Quote:
Uber self-driving trucks are now hauling freight
The tech company announced Tuesday that it has begun using its self-driving trucks to haul freight on Arizona's highways. The trucks continue to have a human driver behind the wheel as a backup to take control of the vehicle as needed.

Eventually, Uber plans for these trucks to operate without a human present.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/9/17100518/waymo-self-driving-truck-google-atlanta
Quote:
Waymo’s self-driving trucks will start delivering freight in Atlanta
The Google spinoff has its chips cashed in

PostPosted: Sat 24 Mar , 2018 5:18 pm 

That freaks me out, inky. :(

But I do like the concept of using the Big Five to personality match pets and humans. :D

PostPosted: Mon 26 Mar , 2018 3:21 am 

Our friend the Mad Rocketeer finally did launch himself in his steam powered rocket and survived the launch.

At Long Last, Flat Earth Rocketeer Finally Manages to Blast Himself Into Sky at God Knows What Speed

With videos.

Bonus track - an interesting discussion in the comments about what constitutes a ghost town, winding up with this travelogue.

Quote:
We used to spend our weekends exploring actual ghost towns in the Southwest. Until we hit our third meth lab and said “fuck it”.

PostPosted: Mon 26 Mar , 2018 6:31 pm 

I'm really hoping they have the kinks worked out of self driving cars before I'm old enough to need one.

PostPosted: Tue 27 Mar , 2018 3:37 pm 

Apparently there's a shortage of human truckers.
https://news.thomasnet.com/featured/tru ... =225285797

That's probably why the autonomous trucks are getting approved so fast.

PostPosted: Tue 27 Mar , 2018 5:15 pm 

I assume it's all about profits - cheaper than paying a person.

Most of these tests seem to be happening in states like Arizona, where legislators have pretty much said - sure, come try out your autonomous trucks and cars here, we're not regulating them.

And on the not-so-bright (human) side:

http://www.businessinsider.com/san-francisco-uber-stuck-on-stairs-2018-3
Quote:
A San Francisco Uber got stuck on stairs after driving down a pedestrian walkway

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2423 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119 ... 122  Next