board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Weird and Unusual News Stories- Join In.

Post Reply   Page 122 of 138  [ 2750 posts ]
Jump to page « 1120 121 122 123 124138 »
aninkling
Post subject: Re: Weird and Unusual News Stories- Join In.
Posted: Mon 10 Dec , 2018 9:24 pm

Menage a trois? Seriously?

The US habit of bleeping out words has always struck me as ridiculous. Unless you're a nun, you hear worse in plenty of public conversations.

Society can and does execute its own mandates, and if it issues wrong mandates instead of right, or any mandates at all in things with it ought not to meddle, it practices a social tyranny more formidable than many kinds of political oppression, since, though not usually upheld by such extreme penalties, it leaves fewer means of escape, penetrating much more deeply into the details of life, and enslaving the soul itself. ― John Stuart Mill

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Tue 11 Dec , 2018 9:09 pm

Typo in a story about Delta limiting "emotional support" animals on some flights.
https://thehill.com/policy/transportati ... ng-flights
Quote:
Delta in the statement said there was an 84 percent increase in reported incidents involving service and support animals between 2016 and 2017. The incidents included urination, defamation, biting and an attack by a 50-pound dog.

That's one sophisticated animal... ;)

Society can and does execute its own mandates, and if it issues wrong mandates instead of right, or any mandates at all in things with it ought not to meddle, it practices a social tyranny more formidable than many kinds of political oppression, since, though not usually upheld by such extreme penalties, it leaves fewer means of escape, penetrating much more deeply into the details of life, and enslaving the soul itself. ― John Stuart Mill

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Wed 12 Dec , 2018 1:09 am
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

Lol! That's a good one.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Thu 13 Dec , 2018 6:55 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Something I never thought about until now, but in retrospect it seems obvious:

Don't drink the tea or coffee while flying

It's made from the same tap water that we're not supposed to drink or brush our teeth with.

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Fri 14 Dec , 2018 4:51 am

Good to know! I'll stick to the bottled water or soda then. (I bring my own water on board in my collapsible water bottle. Which reminds me, I need to get that from the house.)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Fri 14 Dec , 2018 9:53 am
of Vinyamar

Sorry, but I think this is a non-story, in EU at least. I've never heard of anyone getting sick from inflight tea or coffee, and as the article states, they're normally boiled before serving. That said, I believe EU safety regulations are more stringent than US, so the planes are probably cleaned more often.

Also, (and this is purely my own scientifically unsubstantiated opinion), I genuinely think the reason we have so many allergies now is because people sterilised stuff too much when we should have been building up immunities.

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Fri 14 Dec , 2018 2:38 pm

I think they're right to insist that some airlines improve their standards for water testing on planes, but I'm not going to worry about asking for coffee or tea, either. The water does get heated and most microbes aren't really that resistant to heat. And it's not like contaminated food, where you need the heat to penetrate the food first and that takes time.

if it was that big an issue, we should have seen at least some outbreaks linked to contaminated airplane water. But if I had a compromised immune system, I'd avoid it just in case. Especially cold tap water.

Coliforms aren't going to make you sick, in most cases. They're more like a warning sign that there could be other bacteria and viruses in there that will.

And most people probably don't want to know about the number of bacteria they're eating on the surface of some foods, every day. :) Not to mention the ones living on your skin and in your mouth, and the absolutely enormous populations in your intestinal tract already...

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Tue 18 Dec , 2018 5:44 pm

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing ... on-package
Quote:
A former engineer at NASA has developed an exploding glitter bomb to get revenge on thieves stealing packages from his front porch.

...The package was designed to look like an Apple HomePod speaker but actually contained four concealed smartphones that record the thief’s reaction from every angle.

The phones would upload the footage to a cloud so that Rober could recover the recording even if he never got the package back.

The box, however, has a built-in GPS locator and accelerometer that triggered the phones to start recording when the box was moved.

The package contained some extra surprises for the thief, including a motor to explode some of the "world's finest glitter" and an automatic spray-can of “fart spray.”
Apparently it worked quite well. :)

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Tue 08 Jan , 2019 2:55 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... oggy-style
Quote:
'The Dog Wears Prada': $1,500-a-month doggy daycare prompts growls in San Francisco
Quote:
At Doggy Style, the company offers basic membership packages starting at $250 a month, but top-tier membership – also known as “The Dog Wears Prada” option – is on the pricier end of dog care and requires a one-time initiation fee of $7,500. Then, for $1,500 a month, members get lavish perks such as a hand-painted mural of their dogs on the Doggy Style “Wall of Fame”, a doggy pickup and drop-off concierge service, and a private doggy birthday party for 12 pups and their humans.
I think some people have forgotten that happiness, to a dog, just means a good run in the park and a chance to sniff and roll in lots of disgusting things.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Tue 08 Jan , 2019 3:38 pm

I saw the glitter bomb on FB and reposted that. I highly recommend watching that video. It was the best type of karma.

And that is ridiculous about the dogs. It's ridiculous and obscene. :( I mean, people who are rich can enjoy their money, but, sheesh. How many other things could you do with that money that would actually help others?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Thu 17 Jan , 2019 9:06 pm
Aspiring to heresy

If you've always dreamed about owning a home in a small picturesque town in Italy, this may be your chance:
Quote:
British house prices may be falling, but you would still be hard-pressed to find a cheaper property than those on sale in one Sicilian town, where homes are going for as little as €1.

Dozens of properties have been put up for sale in Sambuca, a hilltop town with stunning views across the Mediterranean island, for less than the price of a takeaway coffee.

The deal is a bid to revive an area that has undergone depopulation in recent years, with residents moving to bigger cities.
Quote:
There is a catch, though – new owners must commit to refurbishing their property within three years, at a cost starting from €15,000 (£13,200), and will need a €5,000 security deposit. This will be returned once the refurbishment is complete.
Even with the catch, it still sounds like a good deal to me :D

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Fri 18 Jan , 2019 9:28 am
of Vinyamar

m00t Central!

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Fri 18 Jan , 2019 1:51 pm

Sounds like a nice deal. But I'd be willing to bet that the 1 euro property isn't the one that needs only 15,000 in repairs. ;)

I once read an account of house-hunting in rural Italy (by Ferenc Mate) and it seems that the only places you were allowed to build were former houses. So they were shown ruin after ruin, which had affordable prices but would have cost a fortune to rebuild. Many of them were actual ruins, without roofs or with walls that had crumbled away. But they had that precious right to rebuild. Or there were houses that had been redone but cost far too much for them to afford.

No idea if that's the way it still works there.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Fri 18 Jan , 2019 6:18 pm

https://worldnewsdailyreport.com/florid ... alligator/

Florida.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Sat 19 Jan , 2019 12:11 am
A green apple painted red

I have many questions but I don't think I want any answers. Florida, 'nuff said.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Sat 19 Jan , 2019 3:24 pm

This probably makes me a terrible person, but good. I've heard of other cases involving zoo animals that were far more defenseless. If you need to get your jollies raping and possibly injuring an animal (which means they might be euthanized, depending on the injury), you're a sick person. And if you get what you deserve, I won't mourn.

And I don't even like alligators.

On a lighter note, the Gillette razor ad* that everyone seems to be talking about made me think of this site:
https://www.creativebloq.com/inspiratio ... ds-1233780
Quote:
66 brilliant print adverts
For instance:
Quote:
Created by Joe Public United, this print campaign for a job portal aims to motivate people to stop slogging it out in a job they don’t like. Deftly retouched photos show bored workers at their desks, sat still for so long mould has started to grow on their bodies, or spiders have set up their webs on them.
*Gillette was quite clever, really. They not only make gullible people think Gillette (and Proctor & Gamble) is a virtuous company, they subliminally tell you that you, too, can show you're a decent guy just by buying their razors. And they didn't even have to spend much money after producing the ad - word of mouth and controversy does much of their work for them. I'll bet some advertising team just got a nice bonus.

Incidentally, Proctor and Gamble has been losing market shares to companies that are making eco-friendly products and corporations that have been picking up some of those companies.
https://www.denverpost.com/2016/10/04/p ... -friendly/
(I was sorry to see Seventh Generation has been bought up by a corporation, though I guess that's why I can find their products more easily in stores now.)

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Sat 19 Jan , 2019 4:29 pm
A green apple painted red

Oh, I didn't know about Seventh Generation. I didn't like them much. Their claims seemed exaggerated and the quality did not impress, but still.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Sat 19 Jan , 2019 4:44 pm

I thought their quality was mixed. They were making brown paper towels at a time when those were impossible to find and I loved that. I liked their toilet bowl cleaner, too, and I've been satisfied with their dishwasher detergent. On the other hand, I thought their dish soap (for hand washing dishes) was pretty useless. The other thing I liked about them was, when they were mail order only (way back when), they carried eco-friendly products from other companies and some of those were pretty nice.

And I agree, their claims were exaggerated. But so are the claims of most companies. Especially now that eco-safe, environmentally friendly, and organic have become mainstream buzzwords and all the major companies are trying to get those profits.

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Thu 24 Jan , 2019 3:03 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... en-griffin
Quote:
America's most expensive home sells for $238m to hedge fund boss
I assumed this was some sort of huge estate.

But no.
Quote:
Penthouse at 220 Central Park South is 34 times bigger than average Manhattan apartment

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Thu 07 Feb , 2019 1:42 pm

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing ... -blackface
Quote:
Fashion designer Gucci has apologized and stopped selling a sweater after criticism that it resembled blackface.

...“Gucci deeply apologizes for the offense caused by the wool balaclava jumper,” the Gucci said. “We can confirm that the items has been immediately removed from our online store and all physical stores.”

...The “Balaclava” black turtleneck sweater was selling for $890 before the company pulled it. The sale image from the Gucci website that circulated on social media depicts a model with the top pulled up over the bottom half of her face, showing a cutout of red lips surrounding the model’s mouth.
I think what they should really be apologizing for is charging nearly a thousand dollars for an ugly sweater.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 122 of 138  [ 2750 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 1120 121 122 123 124138 »
Jump to: