board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Muslim cartoon protests: has freedom of speech gone too far?

Post Reply   Page 8 of 8  [ 158 posts ]
Jump to page « 14 5 6 7 8
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 10 Feb , 2006 5:26 am
Insolent Pup

Iavas has conspiracy badgers at work in his mind again.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 16 Feb , 2006 8:04 am
Tricksy Elf!

Provocative?

Personally I thought Frank Miller was smarter :roll:

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 16 Feb , 2006 8:19 am
Insolent Pup

But why Batman? Captain America would have been such a better choice. Or make up a new superhero. Patriot-Man. The Iraqinator. Freedom Hulk.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Nienor SharkAttack
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 16 Feb , 2006 1:06 pm

Can't say I'm a fan of Osama (:roll:), but I feel kinda insulted or something... :neutral: Leave poor Batman out of this!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 16 Feb , 2006 1:29 pm
Tricksy Elf!

I am waiting for the first comic shop to be firebombed then looted.

The geek in me thinks 'will that improve the value of my limited first edition Killing Joke' or not :LMAO:

Profile Quote
eborr
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 16 Feb , 2006 4:26 pm

Lord_Morningstar wrote:
America was traditionally a friend of the Middle East. For example, Eisenhower was highly regarded after he mediated the Suez crisis, and the US was seen as protecting the Middle East from British and French imperialism. The deterioration of relations was a gradual process, and putting the blame entirely, or even mostly, on America’s shoulders is silly. Likewise, the rise of fundamentalism was the result of many different factors.
that is a superficial analysis, French influence certainly suffered in post war period with their reluctance to walk away from the Mahgreb, however most countries in this region still look to France for some level of support, British influence certainly suffered for a short period following Suez, however British forces were certainly regarded as useful in sustaining the regimes in the horn of Africa and elsewhere.

The British FCO has always has a pro-arabist pov, something the Israelis are happy to point out.

Certainly British policy in allowing the creation of the Muslim state of Pakisthan recieved support from the Muslim world, as did the sustaining of the Malaysian integrity from the chineese inspired communist upraising in the 1950's

As you see, glib statements to say X was thought well of by Muslims and Y wasn't is insufficient - and is typical of most of the simplistic analysis which takes place from the post colonial perspective.

Interestinly enough much of this stuff comes out of the white colonies, which recieved most of the investment support in establishing their economies and industries.

I wonder what the world would have looked like f the same level of British investment in the USA, Canada and Australia had been made in Africa ?

Profile Quote
Lord_Morningstar
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 16 Feb , 2006 9:03 pm

eborr wrote:
that is a superficial analysis
Come on, how much detail do I need to go in on a thread like this? It's not like anyone's going to read it ;)
eborr wrote:
I wonder what the world would have looked like f the same level of British investment in the USA, Canada and Australia had been made in Africa ?
So do I.

[Space for Rent]

Profile Quote
eborr
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 17 Feb , 2006 8:01 pm

Lord_Morningstar wrote:
eborr wrote:
that is a superficial analysis
Come on, how much detail do I need to go in on a thread like this? It's not like anyone's going to read it ;)
eborr wrote:
So do I.
I have no problem wit generalisations, but they need to be right - generally

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 19 Feb , 2006 4:33 pm
You are hearing me talk

And then there's this guy:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 19 Feb , 2006 5:08 pm

Maybe it's supposed to read like:

Get a brain!
signed, Morans

;)

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 20 Feb , 2006 7:58 pm
Insolent Pup

How have the protests and riots been going?

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 20 Feb , 2006 8:43 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

I searched the BBC website and didn't see anything immediately...I suppose the media is getting a bit tired of it. I did see this story though...a man is jailed for three years for denying the Holocaust. While the man is stupid, I find this pretty ironic. A European country is denying a man the right to free speech, yet they cry about their right to free speech regarding the cartoons. Not really fair, IMO.

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 20 Feb , 2006 8:49 pm
Insolent Pup

I did find some excellent news concerning the whole controversy (crap, I can never remember how that's spelled).

Egyptian Sandmonkey's blog

This guy was linked over in Manwe's cartoon thread. He's an Egyptian who railed against the boycotts and such. This guy rocks, and he's pretty funny.

From him:

Dozens of Danish Muslims are joining the network of moderate Muslims, the Demokratiske Muslimer (Democratic Muslims). About 700 Muslims have already become DM members and 2,500 Danes have expressed their will to support the network. The initiative has caused anger among the Danish imams and their leader, Ahmad Abu Laban, who have referred to the moderates as “rats.â€

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 23 Feb , 2006 1:04 pm
Takoyaki is love

TheEllipticalDisillusion wrote:
I did find some excellent news concerning the whole controversy (crap, I can never remember how that's spelled).

Egyptian Sandmonkey's blog

This guy was linked over in Manwe's cartoon thread. He's an Egyptian who railed against the boycotts and such. This guy rocks, and he's pretty funny.

From him:

Dozens of Danish Muslims are joining the network of moderate Muslims, the Demokratiske Muslimer (Democratic Muslims). About 700 Muslims have already become DM members and 2,500 Danes have expressed their will to support the network. The initiative has caused anger among the Danish imams and their leader, Ahmad Abu Laban, who have referred to the moderates as “rats.” The imams feel that they are beginning to lose their control over part of the Muslim population.
Emphasis added by me. Finally, we get to see what this is really about!!!!!!!

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 23 Feb , 2006 1:15 pm

Wilma & TED

thanks for that link .... pretty interesting reading ..... and the picture it paints is fairly depressing .... it seems our choices in the Middle East are literally the frying pan or the fire .... or we just get off the stove.

Last edited by sauronsfinger on Thu 23 Feb , 2006 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 23 Feb , 2006 1:19 pm
Takoyaki is love

Oh the link was from TED :oops: . I had seen it on TORC and it is some pretty interesting reading!!! I wish more of these moderate types were interviewed on television here in the west.

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 23 Feb , 2006 2:28 pm

The latest developments in Iraq, and the response from Iran,

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20060223/D8FUPQAG0.html

How in the world does the USA ever "win" (whatever that may mean) in this type of environment? This whole thing seems doomed more each day.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 23 Feb , 2006 4:07 pm
Daydream Believer

Well one would think that the US would remember Viet Nam, apparently not though.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 8 of 8  [ 158 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 14 5 6 7 8
Jump to: