board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Is Bush spokesman a "jerk"?

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 27 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
sauronsfinger
Post subject: Is Bush spokesman a "jerk"?
Posted: Tue 14 Feb , 2006 6:45 pm

Interesting story about tempers flaring in Washington DC.

NBC REPORTER TO WHITE HOUSE SPOKESMAN: 'DON'T BE A JERK'
Tue Feb 14 2006 08:54:18 ET

NBCNEWS chief White House correspondent David Gregory warned President Bush's spokesman on Monday not to be a "jerk!"

The heated exchange came during a press gathering at the White House.

Gregory asked White House Press Secretary Scott McClellan about the Cheney hunting accident.

'David, hold on, the cameras aren't on right now,' McClellan replied. 'You can do this later.'

'Don't accuse me of trying to pose to the cameras,' Gregory said, voice rising. 'Don't be a jerk to me personally when I'm asking you a serious question.'

'You don't have to yell,' McClellan said.

'I will yell,'' said Gregory, pointing a finger at McCellan at his dais. 'If you want to use that podium to try to take shots at me personally, which I don't appreciate, then I will raise my voice, because that's wrong.'

'Calm down, Dave, calm down,' said McClellan.

'I'll calm down when I feel like calming down,' Gregory said. 'You answer the question.'

'I have answered the question,' said McClellan, who had maintained that the vice president's office was in charge of getting the information out and worked with the ranch owner to do that. 'I'm sorry you're getting all riled up about.'

'I am riled up,' Gregory said, 'because you're not answering the question.'"

END

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 14 Feb , 2006 7:48 pm
His Rosyness

McClellan is like a robot who will never deviate from his programming.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 14 Feb , 2006 8:36 pm
You are hearing me talk

I'm just shocked that a reporter challenged the guy. Now they just need to start doing it on factual matters in addition to personal ones.

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 14 Feb , 2006 10:29 pm

Dave
this is very much like what happened during the post 1972 Watergate Nixon White House. One by one, reporters started to become a bit bolder until finally Dan Rather of CBS outright challenged Nixon on nationwide TV. So perhaps this is just the tip of the iceberg and the press is about to grow a new set. We can only hope.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 15 Feb , 2006 12:33 am
Daydream Believer

where's Rove when they need him.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
Teremia
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 15 Feb , 2006 12:55 am
Reads while walking

What Dave_LF said! The attention paid to this quail/man mix-up should be shifted to something really major (with all due respect to Mr. W with all the buckshot in his face).

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 15 Feb , 2006 1:10 am
Daydream Believer

I dont think the BA would answer questions like, why are you taking the rights of the American People away, honestly.

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 15 Feb , 2006 1:33 am

Ara-anna wrote:
I dont think the BA would answer questions like, why are you taking the rights of the American People away, honestly.
How's he supposed to answer that? "Cuz it's fun!" That question reminds of the ol' "So, did you stop beating your wife?" trick.

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 15 Feb , 2006 3:36 am

Sounds like a fair question to me. Its honest, direct and accurate... and Bush should get more questions just like it.

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 15 Feb , 2006 4:02 pm
You are hearing me talk

Speaking of the hunting accident, the fact that the guy is still in the hospital and actually had birdshot inside his heart suggests to me that they're not quite giving us the straight story here (surprise surprise). Getting sprayed with birdshot from 30 yards away shouldn't result in anything much more serious than a rash and a bit of bleeding, and the damage should be dispersed over most of the body. Instead, the guy has serious injuries in a tight pattern over just his upper body, which suggests he was actually shot from much closer.

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 15 Feb , 2006 4:16 pm

Local TV had some hunting experts on last night. They said that all the responsibility in firing a gun in an open field is upon the person with the gun. They are suppose to follow certain safety procedures such as seeing daylight between the ground and the prey or you do not fire.

The expert made it quite clear that the VP is at fault.

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 15 Feb , 2006 4:27 pm
Daydream Believer

I just think if it had been say...any one of us here on the board...we'd be facing charges, felony charges at that. And yet Cheney is not stepping down?

So its not ok to get a blow job by an intern and lie about it, but its ok to shoot someone and lie about it? (and if I was married to Hillary, I'd lie about it too)

What the hells wrong with this picture?

Profile Quote
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 15 Feb , 2006 5:57 pm
His Rosyness

Dave is right, the official story doesn't seem to make sense in terms of the injury inflicted.

I would say it was a more serious incident than was first reported, and the delay in reporting it was due to Cheney getting his story straight first.

Also extremely curious are reports that when Bush was first told about the shooting he was not told who was involved.

My first reaction though is that this is another Republican distraction to take the heat off their bigger crimes.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 15 Feb , 2006 6:21 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

I can almost imagine Peter Cook saying to Whittington,
'Now look here, the war is not going awfully well at the moment , what we need badly now is a pointless sacrifice. I'm counting on you Whittington to do the decent thing and to go out hunting with Cheney. No need to come back.'

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 16 Feb , 2006 3:32 am
His Rosyness

Quote:
Media Ignores Cheney 'Smoking Gun'

A 28-gauge shotgun fired at 30 yards is too weak to cause Whittington's injuries.

Amidst the swirl of outrage, obfuscation and wisecracking, one fundamental flaw in the White House's Cheney shooting story remains. How can a 28-gauge shotgun fired from supposedly 30 yards away cause pellets to become lodged in someone's heart?

How can a weapon that has little more power than a kids BB gun fire projectiles that in most cases don't penetrate further than an inch into a bird's breast and yet in this instance tore through a hunting vest, clothes underneath, the chest cavity and into the muscle of Whittington's heart?

The only explanation that fits the nature of Whittington's injuries is that Cheney's gun discharged at extremely close range.

The most fundamental basics of gun safety are that you don't point loaded weapons at people, you point them down at the ground and keep them very carefully under control.

As others have speculated it is likely that Cheney was drunk and he dropped the weapon, causing it to discharge and pepper Whittington at close range. Cheney refused to talk to local police until the next day and the Secret Service made sure the authorities had no access to him. This tells us that Cheney considers himself to be above the law.

If any other US citizen shot someone in the face would the police be happy to wait 14 hours before talking to them?

The media seems to be focusing on the delay in reporting the original incident and the White House cover-up of the fact that Whittington had a heart attack. These are important issues but why are no questions being asked about the incompatibility between the official story and the injuries sustained by Whittington?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
oldtoby
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 16 Feb , 2006 4:20 am
Cuddly Studmuffin

Jeez dude, does EVERYTHING have do be a conspiracy with you? :roll:

Profile Quote
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 16 Feb , 2006 11:55 am
His Rosyness

Liars tend to be compulsive liars..

So do you think 30 yards sounds realistic?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 16 Feb , 2006 12:14 pm

For what it is worth, I would not want to be the one to test the theory by having someone shoot a shotgun at me from thirty yards. Heck, I would not want a quarterback to throw a football at my face from thirty yards and that is filled with air.

Cheney is a despicable person who was reckless with a loaded weapon.

Remember in the campaign when Democratic candidate John Kerry went duck hunting and Carl Rove and Cheney lit into Kerry for not being a real hunter and a disgrace to hunting culture? Sounds like it has come back to really bite him in the ass.

The actions of Cheney remind me of the Repubican charges against Ted Kennedy when they said he failed to report his accident for many hours several decades ago.

Just insert the name Kennedy or Kerry instead of Cheney in this hunting accident and imagine what we would be hearing from Rush Limbaugh and the rest of the Republican apologists 24/7. Hypocrisy is an ugly thing.

Profile Quote
oldtoby
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 16 Feb , 2006 4:22 pm
Cuddly Studmuffin

Iavas answer me this first...

What possible earthly reason would Cheney have to shoot the man?

I am not a gun expert, but I have shot a shotgun before when I was in the service. And I know the little 28 gauge (might even have been smaller gauge than that, this was 9 years ago, so the memory aint perfect, but it definitely was not a larger gauge) we used to shoot skeet with off the fantail would blow the ceramic plates to tiny bits when they hit. The distance varied obviously depending on wind and who was shooting, but I can safely say that I saw some of our better shooters hit and disintegrate the plates at more than 20-25 yards distance.

Anyways thats what I personally experienced, like I said I dont know enough about how the pellets actually spread or how quickly they loose velocity to say anything more.

Profile Quote
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 16 Feb , 2006 5:55 pm
His Rosyness

toby, I'm in no way claiming he shot the guy on purpose!

All I'm saying is, maybe the real story is more embarrasing than is being reported. Perhaps Cheney showed punishable negligence, accidentally shooting him at close range while drunk, and it took 14 hours of being guarded by the Secret Service to come up with the 30 yard version of events.

Bird shot, by all accounts, is not very powerful at all at a distance.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 27 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: