board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Internet Piracy, and you.

Post Reply   Page 2 of 2  [ 32 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2
TheMary
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 21 Feb , 2006 8:32 pm
I took the stars from my eyes, and then I made a map, And knew that somehow I could find my way back; Then I heard your heart beating, you were in the darkness too - So I stayed in the darkness with you

Way to get to the heart of the matter Gim :P

Lay down
Your sweet and weary head
Night is falling
You’ve come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore

Why do you weep?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see
All of your fears will pass away
Safe in my arms
You're only sleeping

Profile Quote
gimli_axe_wielder
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 21 Feb , 2006 8:47 pm
The easily amuse-OH SHINY!

:D :cheers:

Things and stuff.

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 23 Feb , 2006 3:21 am
One of the Bronte Sisters

vincent,

I don't look here often recently and just saw this thread of yours.

Sunny has got it right, I think. This does not sound legitimate to me, from what you've said so far. The American Bar Association should have a national registry for Law firms ... and most law firms have websites these days. Have you at least confirmed the existence of the firm?

Lawsuits also have to be listed in the jurisdiction where they are filed ... I would think that a legitimate suit would have a docket number and that this would be given in the letter if you were really being sued. Also, if you were really being sued I think you would receive a notice from the courts.

Unfortunately my experience with this kind of suit is non-existent and it may be that the letter is prelude to a suit. I've done that before to others, used a letter from a lawyer to tell them to desist from something they were doing or my org. would have to sue them, but not for a suit that had already been filed. Something about it does not sound kosher to me.

Voronwe is out of the country right now, but Ellie or even tolkienpurist could tell you how to confirm whether a letter like that is legit or not. You really need some professional advice, and if it is not legit, definitely turn it over to the FBI. This would be a scary new twist on internet scams.

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 23 Feb , 2006 9:32 am
Filthy darwinian hobbit

Can the payment of $1 a month be made while at the same time maintaining no acknowledgement of fault? Is there a preferred form of words? Demand a receipt for each payment and make plain that payments will be withheld if receipts aren't received.

Also would it be better for Vincent if this was in the Members' lounge?

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
vincent
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 25 Feb , 2006 10:53 pm
the dread pirate captain

Ok so as it stands now,
I refused to settle, I'll be damned if I'll pay for something I didn't do, I'm looking into getting a local lawyer who specializes in civil cases, I have a friend with a degree in criminal law, but not in civil, but he's looking into lawyers in the area for me, he spends a lot of time in court, so he's a little less frightened by it, and I prefer to have him pick a lawyer then me opening the phone book and picking at random. Frankly the longer this goes on the longer I think this law firm was just fishing for the settlement, after I refused to settle they said they'd be filing the lawsuit itself on the 20th, I have yet to hear back from them, and previously they were sending everything priority overnight mail, so they may have decided it wasn't worth fighting. I also contacted the state bar, the BBB, the newspapers, and the EFF http://www.eff.org/. and my roommate is blogging on his tech web boards, and they have been a lot of help, their talking about building a web site to advertise the case, and accept donations for legal fee's, thats is if it goes that far. But as of today we haven't been contacted by the law firm, I'm really beginning to think it was just a attempt to legally scam money out of me.
Quote:
Sunny has got it right, I think. This does not sound legitimate to me, from what you've said so far. The American Bar Association should have a national registry for Law firms ... and most law firms have web sites these days. Have you at least confirmed the existence of the firm?
And yeah I've confirmed this law firm exists, so that sucks.

Quote:
Lawsuits also have to be listed in the jurisdiction where they are filed ... I would think that a legitimate suit would have a docket number and that this would be given in the letter if you were really being sued. Also, if you were really being sued I think you would receive a notice from the courts.
With these Internet piracy cases its not quite so clear cut, they file against the ISP for the identity of the owner of the IP address, then they file against the people, so what I got was a letter from my ISP saying they got a subpoena for my ID from a law firm, I then contacted the law firm and explained they had the wrong guy, they then got my name, address, phone # etc, and have not sued us yet, they said they were going to do that on the 20th, but I haven't heard back from them since the 17th when I stated I was not settling.
http://www.subpoenadefense.org/

Quote:
It was probably a really shitty movie too!
I don't know I've never seen it, (lords of War) but I'm guessing it was.

Quote:
Well, there are a couple of lawyers on this board...Ellienor and Voronwe. Voronwe is here more often than Ellienor, and his whole practice revolves around protecting people's rights, so you could PM him, direct him to this thread.
Well I really don't want to impose on anyone, I really posted mostly because I wanted to vent, and you have been very helpful, and supportive for which I thank you. Hopefully this whole mess will just go away, wishful thinking I know, but I can wish.

Paint the monster red so the blood don't show.

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 26 Feb , 2006 1:20 am
bioalchemist

I've never heard of Lords of War, but Lord of War was quite good, in the same sort of kicked-in-the-gut, slapped-upside-the-head way that Traffic and Munich were good (though it's not quite of the caliber of either of the two).

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
vincent
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 26 Feb , 2006 1:51 am
the dread pirate captain

Sorry it is lord of war, not "lords", I'm told its a Nicolas Cage movie.

Paint the monster red so the blood don't show.

Profile Quote
Klonkku
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 12 Mar , 2006 12:39 pm
Blade Runner

Last year a finnish Bit Torrent -site was busted, and the biggest uploaders were given mighty fees. It is said that piracy, at least in the grand scale, is quite dangerous these days, and should not be hobbied.

Your case, however, sounds unfair. 3,000$ for a single movie is an unbearable amount, and since you did not even commit the said 'crime', I am rooting for your success in the forth-coming law-suit.

Kick 'em in the nuts, sir!

Profile Quote
Onizuka Eikichi
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 12 Mar , 2006 5:45 pm

All bit torrent sites have to do is mimic "The Pirate Bay" and their legal statements and they'll be airtight (until they change certain laws anyway). ;)

Most bit torrent sites are perfectly cool, though. When they're asked by a company or a law-firm to take a torrent down, *most* will happily do so. That doesn't completely stop it, though. The people who are already on the .torrent remain, and if another site still has the file, more and more people can still get on. Good luck finding them all.

And even then, there's still IRC. Less user-friendly than bit torrent, but hella faster. And there's really no way to stop files from proliferating through IRC channels.

If I really like something, I still buy it. Some things are worth supporting by paying for them. Especially manga and anime, you know? ;)

冬ながら
空より花の
散り来るは
雲のあなたに
春にやあるらん

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 12 Mar , 2006 9:08 pm
Hasta la victoria, siempre

*frets*

So you can be sure Azureus isn't going to get busted?

*~Pips~*

Avatar is a male me, drawn by a very close friend. Just don't ask why.

Profile Quote
Onizuka Eikichi
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 13 Mar , 2006 1:12 am

Azureus and other clients can't get busted. They're just the clients. The only thing that they can "bust" is the websites that put up the .torrent files. :)

As far as I know, anyway. Some sites have been sued (sucessfully or not I'm not sure, but they have received official announcments of legal action and such).

Most of the time though, the makers of product X just request that the torrent be taken down and if the site is "cool" they will. Boxtorrents.com is an excellent example.

冬ながら
空より花の
散り来るは
雲のあなたに
春にやあるらん

Profile Quote
TWT
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 14 Mar , 2006 4:50 am
Wembley bound

I use torrentspy quite often. I try and support the music and movie industry as much as possible but I get tired of paying $7 to rent a movie and while I was going to college I didn't have much money. Now that I've finished I'm looking for a job and still don't have much money...

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 2  [ 32 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 1 2
Jump to: