The Last Homely Site on the Web

National Forest Land Sale

Post Reply   Page 1 of 4  [ 70 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 3 4 »
MariaHobbit
Post subject: National Forest Land Sale
Posted: Wed 22 Feb , 2006 7:43 pm

This just breaks my heart. http://www.fs.fed.us/land/staff/spd.html

21,000 acres of forest in Missouri alone could get sold off. I love that Mark Twain National forest. I used to ride my horse all over the place for hours and never see another person when I was a kid. It's beautiful!

[ img ]
They shouldn't sell pieces of it, just because they don't want to raise taxes! :bawl:
That land is supposed to be there forever, for our kids and grand kids, not sold off at first hint of financial trouble.

This is just awful. I hope Congress doesn't let the Bush administration get away with this.

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 22 Feb , 2006 8:21 pm

Maria
I join you in your feelings about this. Sadly, there are those in power, and here, who feel that government owned lands in the name of the American people are simply a waste of resources. They want to sell to developers in the name of the almighty dollar. A legacy of green forests for our grandchildren means nothing to them. Instead, its all about the power of money. That is the green they care about.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
Meril36
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 22 Feb , 2006 8:36 pm

I've never approved of National Parks as they currently exist. Still, I'm wary of pretty much anything the government does, so I'm not inclined to feel good about this either.

Trying for profundity only limits depth.

With all the anger in the land, how long before the judgement day? Before we cut the fat ones down to size? Before the barricades arise?

Visit my art gallery at deviantART.

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 22 Feb , 2006 8:47 pm

What does that mean Meril 36?

I have no idea if you support keeping lands in the name of the people owned by the government or if you favor getting rid of the public land idea altogether. Could you please elaborate on your short statement?

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 22 Feb , 2006 8:55 pm

National Parks aren't the same as National Forests. Parks are developed tourist attractions. Forests are just a sign on the edge of the highway with a small dirt access road and sometimes not even that. People can go in and camp (primitively) or hunt or hike or whatever. The point is, the place stays wild. At least for the most part.

The lands are managed and firewood is allowed to be cut and things like that. Once the parcel of National Forest land that abuts my parent's place came up for firewood cutting. My father bought the rights and then *didn't* cut the trees down. :love: It's been 15 or 20 years since then, and the trees he saved are huge and beautiful... much nicer than the scrubby stuff that is so prevalent in that part of Missouri.

I just fear that when people buy up these parcels, they'll build on it and tame it and civilize it ... and our heritage will be that much poorer. We should be increasing the public land acreage, not decreasing it. Save it for everyone who can't afford to buy acreage of their own as land prices go up, up, up. How else are people going to be able to get out and see how the wild things live? They sure can't come walking on MY place!

Profile Quote
Meril36
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 22 Feb , 2006 9:02 pm

I do indeed favor the idea of getting rid of the public land idea altogether. I thought I'd already mentioned it elsewhere. I guess not. :shrug:

With all the anger in the land, how long before the judgement day? Before we cut the fat ones down to size? Before the barricades arise?

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 22 Feb , 2006 9:04 pm

And do you have a reason for this stance against public lands Meril?

And what would you do with all the millions of acres of land now owned by the government in the name of the American people?

Profile Quote
Meril36
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 22 Feb , 2006 9:17 pm

Depends on the piece of land.

The reason for my stance? I could go into it, I suppose, but I'm afraid it would turn into another argument, and I'd rather not.

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 22 Feb , 2006 9:21 pm

I should have been a dentist.

:bang:

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 22 Feb , 2006 9:43 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

:roll: Knock it off!

As to this topic, it makes me very sad. :( I always hate to see land developed, particularly a nice forest like this. Very sad.

And I don't care about the politics behind it either. Stuff like this happens whether George W. Bush is the president or not. :roll:

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 22 Feb , 2006 10:00 pm
Daydream Believer

I think that blue ducks should be fried in peanut butter.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 22 Feb , 2006 10:05 pm

It's not just one forest, Lali. If you look at the forest service link, you can click on YOUR state, and see what might be going up on the auction block.

Thousands and thousands of acres. All over the country. I hope they don't get approval for this.

Profile Quote
Legolas the elf
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 23 Feb , 2006 11:34 pm
Trudging the road of happy destiny...

Just because it's for sale doesn't mean it's not gonna be taken care of. Maybe some private land owners will hire foresters. :)

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 23 Feb , 2006 11:42 pm
Daydream Believer

Hi, I'm a logger. ;)

Lego,

True it might be bought by someone who has the money and who is an environmentalist. I have my doubts though.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
Legolas the elf
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 24 Feb , 2006 1:18 am
Trudging the road of happy destiny...

If it is bought by anybody, they have money...the question is whether they're commercial minded or conservation/preservation minded. I have my doubts too...chances are they'll want to develop buildings...but surely not all 21,000 acres will be destroyed.

And also, we are humans, we're a part of this earth, and we're on the food chain. Our use of the earth is not evil. I try not to get too far out on a limb being a perservationist. I believe in conservation(wise use), but not widescale preservation. I understand this land is special to some, if I were them I'd want to preserve, too...but generally speaking, conservation is reality....too much preservation expectations is fantasy. Smart forestry practice is the key. If foresters were employed more often(if the government would fund this, in other words:P) I'd be less disturbed by land use. With growing populations, I think this is becoming more and more important.

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 24 Feb , 2006 1:30 am

from Meril36
Quote:
I do indeed favor the idea of getting rid of the public land idea altogether
Quote:
I've never approved of National Parks as they currently exist.

Tear them down... tear them all down.
Saurman of Insengard.

The Saurman quote seems to fit to a tee someone who both is against National Parks and wants to rid us of all public lands.

Last edited by sauronsfinger on Fri 24 Feb , 2006 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 24 Feb , 2006 1:49 am
Aspiring to heresy

That was a nasty thing to say.

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 24 Feb , 2006 2:09 am
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

Indeed. :suspicious:

I support conversation and preservation both, as both have their place in the wise use of land.

I belong to Ducks Unlimited (mostly by proxy because the dh hunts), but, to sum up their purpose, they buy land with the intent of preserving habitat for waterfowl (and other animals as well). (I have jokingly dubbed their unofficial motto as: We buy land, so we can kill more ducks! But they really do perform a neat service for the greater good.)

Lali

Last edited by LalaithUrwen on Fri 24 Feb , 2006 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Onizuka Eikichi
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 24 Feb , 2006 2:15 am

It depends on who it gets sold to, really. It rests entirely on that. If I bought it, I'd keep it. I'd maintain it better than the government ever did that's for sure. I dunno about fees and rules and whatnot, but I'm sure I could come up with reasonable arrangements for everybody.

Slightly unrelated: most if not all land and property problems can be solved by privatization. Wealth of Nations - it's a life-changing book if you take the time to read it. :)

冬ながら
空より花の
散り来るは
雲のあなたに
春にやあるらん

Profile Quote
Meril36
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 24 Feb , 2006 5:03 pm

SF, how do get from what I said that I want to raze all forests to the ground? How does that logically follow from wanting private ownership?

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 4  [ 70 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page 1 2 3 4 »
Jump to: