The Last Homely Site on the Web

Discussion and debate style...

Post Reply   Page 3 of 3  [ 60 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3
Meril36
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 24 Feb , 2006 11:24 pm

sauronsfinger wrote:
Perhaps I should have said the Libertarian program which would result in the deforesting of America
And your proof of this is?

Trying for profundity only limits depth.

With all the anger in the land, how long before the judgement day? Before we cut the fat ones down to size? Before the barricades arise?

Visit my art gallery at deviantART.

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 24 Feb , 2006 11:25 pm

Meril36 wrote:
sauronsfinger wrote:
Perhaps I should have said the Libertarian program which would result in the deforesting of America
And your proof of this is?
Completely irrelevant to this thread. (Does this thread actually have a subject?)

Profile Quote
halplm
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 24 Feb , 2006 11:27 pm
b77 whipping boy

It did at some point...

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Profile Quote
Meril36
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 24 Feb , 2006 11:28 pm

True, yovi. Sorry. Never mind.

With all the anger in the land, how long before the judgement day? Before we cut the fat ones down to size? Before the barricades arise?

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 24 Feb , 2006 11:29 pm

I can add two plus two and get four.

I can start with the public lands held in the name of the American people by the government

Then I figure in the Libertarian government which would dismantle that very program

then I can subtract the role of the American government as caretaker for milions and millions of square miles of land and add the influence of corporate America and the power of moneyh they have

then I look at what corporations and greed has already done to land when the government does not stop them ...

its all quite easy to see

Public Land + Libertarian Idiocy - government protection = deforesting.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
halplm
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 24 Feb , 2006 11:31 pm
b77 whipping boy

you guys just go at each other anywhere, don't you... do you even read what thread your in?

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Profile Quote
Meril36
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 24 Feb , 2006 11:32 pm

I said "never mind." Put it in the forest thread, SF.

Profile Quote
halplm
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 24 Feb , 2006 11:33 pm
b77 whipping boy

yeah, i wasn't talking to you meril :)

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 24 Feb , 2006 11:35 pm

you asked
I answered

now you are stuck with it

that was easy. ;)

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 24 Feb , 2006 11:35 pm

I know that phpBB software can allow for moving of specific posts from one existing threat to another existing thread, but I don't think the version of phpBB that is used by B77 has that capability.

Probably not, since B77 lacks "merge thread" capability, which is probably what is required. Sometimes I wish I studied more computer programming instead of electronics.

:cheers:

Profile Quote
Meril36
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 24 Feb , 2006 11:41 pm

I know, Hal. My post slipped in after yours. :)

Let's talk about discussion and debate style. I have always felt that the most impact is gotten out of brevity, hence my frequent "drive-by posts" and "one-liners" as some call them.

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 24 Feb , 2006 11:47 pm

Interestingly, I often think CG is overly-verbose (saying in five sentences what could be said in one) while you, Meril are usually "underly-verbose" (saying in one sentence what should be said in five). If you two could find a place in between, I think you'd both be better off.

Just a friendly critique. :)

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 24 Feb , 2006 11:48 pm

I'm overly verbose?

That is a most interesting accusation for you to make, that I might be considered long winded, or even that I might use run-on sentences (which you did not say). Perhaps it is an effort to be overly thorough, or perhaps having once been accused of having a learning disability that negatively impacts my written performance it is over compensation. I could not accurately say, although I have often denied the existence of that disability. Then, it might just be an attempt to ensure that my meaning is properly understood, so I offer superfluous details to ensure that alternate interpretations are not inferred from my writings, an effor that is sometimes futile.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
Meril36
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 24 Feb , 2006 11:53 pm

That's probably true, yovi. I save my verbosity and loquaciousness for my stories. Too often when I am loquacious elsewhere it either falls on deaf ears or gets me ridiculed for my trouble, or both.

Profile Quote
Holbytla
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 25 Feb , 2006 12:33 am
Grumpy cuz I can be

halplm wrote:
questioning it is not wrong... going ON AND ON AND ON about it is wrong...
Drop it, or start another thread. Dragging one thread down becasue you won't let go of a statement they don't even really want to talk about just ruins it for everyone else.
*snerk*

[ img ]

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 25 Feb , 2006 12:53 am

:salmon:

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 26 Feb , 2006 3:10 am
bioalchemist

yovargas wrote:
Interestingly, I often think CG is overly-verbose (saying in five sentences what could be said in one) while you, Meril are usually "underly-verbose" (saying in one sentence what should be said in five). If you two could find a place in between, I think you'd both be better off.
It takes a few years for the post-marital brain-merge to really kick in.

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
Holbytla
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 26 Feb , 2006 5:35 am
Grumpy cuz I can be

I apologize for the snerk. It wasn't helpful.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 27 Feb , 2006 2:07 am
Insolent Pup

Sex and violence.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 27 Feb , 2006 4:47 pm

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 3 of 3  [ 60 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 1 2 3
Jump to: