The Last Homely Site on the Web

Food and feeding yourself

Post Reply   Page 2 of 2  [ 35 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 17 Mar , 2006 3:24 pm
Milk and kisses

Taurie - the pizza that schoolkids get has got nothing to do with the real stuff, it's more similar to white bread with tomato sauce and processed cheese.

I used to teach a 16-year old who ate nothing but pizza (as above, that is, supermarket margherita with no extra toppings), burgers and omelettes - plain. Literally, nothing else. I know I have bad eating habits, but that left me really shocked. :Q

Food education at school should be about preparation (teaching kids survival skills), nutritional content, etc., and maybe it could be spiced up with references to other cultures (bad pun I know :D), how important food is in other cultures, how religious ceremonies often include sharing food or offering it to deities, etc. I'm fascinated by the dual nature of food; on the one hand it's a physical necessity, but it is also invested with culture and ritual. Who hasn't been told at least once not to play with their food, or has not wondered about table manners?

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
EdaintheRanger
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 17 Mar , 2006 4:45 pm
The Red Fox

I love food, can't live without it! :D

I thought cooking was easy, just throw stuff in a pan. :scratch:

Jamie Oliver is an inspiration, if a geezer like him can cook surely I can...

If kids are being made aware of where food comes from, (apart from Tescos or Walmart...) then all to the good. If not, why not!

Okay rant over time for fish and chips, :D Dontcha love Fridays.

We need courage, faith and Chocolate Cake.

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 23 Mar , 2006 3:44 pm
Aspiring to heresy

I came across the following article in my local paper, and thought it would be of interest...
Quote:
We are fools to tolerate poor-quality food

Daniel Drolet, Citizen Special

To some people, food may be just sustenance. But in my world, food is about a whole lot of other things as well.

Food is about family: The foods of our childhood are part of our identity, and family meals are special times.

Food is about culture: Often, we first come to know other cultures by their food. In that sense, food is about discovery.

Food is about friends and sociability: So many gatherings take place around a table.

Food is even, sometimes, about love.

Food, in short, is one of life's few renewable pleasures -- a garden of delights and tastes and discoveries, all seasoned with sociability.

For all these reasons, it pains me to see that so many of us accept mediocre food as our daily fare.

We are living in a time and place where all sorts of wonderful, tasty, exciting foods from all over the world are potentially available to us -- and yet, usually in the name of convenience and the dubious virtues of long shelf life, we blithely accept second-rate. Heck, sometimes we don't even realize it's second-rate as we wolf it down and demand more.

Are we crazy? Or have we simply forgotten that we can demand better?

I don't think I'm a food snob. I certainly don't expect that every meal be a gourmet experience: As much as I like fine food, I also enjoy a burger or a pizza every now and then.

But what I don't enjoy is food, sophisticated or simple, that has no taste -- or is dolled up with fake tastes. I want a tomato to taste like a tomato, not like cardboard. And I don't want it drowned in a salty cheese sauce in an attempt to coax a reaction from my tastebuds because the tomato itself has no taste.

We would get better-tasting food if we demanded it. It is, often, available. Sadly, we seem content with second-rate.

I was out recently with a group of friends for a restaurant meal. The setting was fine, the wines very good. But the food? At one point in the evening, I simply stopped eating.

Why?

Each dish was awash in melted cheese -- slathered on to hide the fact that there wasn't much else there in terms of taste. There was quantity, but the quality, as far as I was concerned, was not there.

If food tasted like it's supposed to taste, perhaps we wouldn't be tempted to cover it with salt and slather it with butter. Maybe we'd be content to savour it and not demand oversized portions.

Industrial production has succeeded in giving us lots of safe, cheap food -- but at a cost. I shudder now to see food items (for humans, not just pets) advertised as "made with real chicken!" Or "real" whatever. As if ersatz were the norm.

Our desire to have everything all the time is, I think, also to blame.

There was a time when many foods were seasonal. You got strawberries in spring, for example, and apples in the fall, and that was that.

But it seems we'd rather have strawberries all year round, even if they are often tasteless.

We have become so used to tasteless food that we accept it as the norm. Too many times I have been served tasteless tomatoes in August, the one time of the year when tomatoes are supposed to taste like tomatoes.

It needn't be so.

In the April issue of The Atlantic, food writer Corby Kummer, in an article about heirloom poultry, describes the shock felt by people who rediscover poultry with taste:

"The arrive of pasture-raised turkey at the teaching kitchens of the French Culinary Institute, in New York City, brought the dean of culinary studies, the chef Alain Sailhac, nearly to tears," Kummer wrote. "At last, he told the group that night, he had recaptured a flavour he'd thought was lost forever: the turkey of his childhood, a half a century ago, on a farm in southern France."

Tasty food is out there -- in artisan breads and cheeses, heirloom meats, organic fruits and vegetables.

I hope more of us are prepared to seek it out, and to demand it be available not only in select restaurants and grocery stores but in cafeterias and fast-food outlets too. And I hope more of us will protest at poor- quality food being sold to us in the interest of convenience.

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
The Watcher
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 23 Mar , 2006 6:36 pm
Same as it ever was

Interesting article, Jude. It reminded me of this story, and I found it still up on the web:

Ugly Tomatoes

We all know that mass produced foods are so modified from their originals that unless one has access to farmer's markets or their own gardens, even much of the organic stuff is still not the real deal often. It is designed to look good and ship well, never mind the taste. :(

Nothing will EVER taste like a perfectly ripe tomato or cucumber or green bean picked fresh from the garden. Fresh peas are virtually unknown to most people. Meat, fish, eggs and dairy products are produced from animals that are not fed normal diets and are genetically bred to grow fast and/or produce a lot of milk or eggs. I often DO envy those who have it within their reach to get meat from naturally raised animals and organic eggs that do not cost $2.00 a dozen. :(

I am SO glad that at least in terms of produce, I know what real vegetables and fruits taste like, and SHOULD taste like. My parents had a huge vegetable garden when I was a kid, and my mother used the products daily in our meals as the various things came into season. I carried on the tradition, although I scaled it down to fit my lifestyle, and I go to the farmers markets religiously beginning in late spring through autumn.

I also, due to budget restraints, buy much of our food to cook from scratch, and take advantage of seasonal fresh items on sale in the stores each week, so I plan meals around that as I see what is at good prices. I also have cut way back on fats and processed sugars and starches, I sneak whole grains and natural sweeteners such as fruits into many recipes where I can. Ice creams and sugary foods are a treat around here, not a several times a day unhealthy snack. And the funny thing is, I LIKE the food better now - it does not need to be swimming in sauce, covered in butter and salt, or masked with melted cheese. :D

Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 miles per second, is a cow that has been dropped from a helicopter.

Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

- Dave Barry

Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive...
Supermassive Black Hole.

- Muse

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 23 Mar , 2006 6:42 pm
Aspiring to heresy

:D the tomato in that article actually looks a lot like a pumpkin.

Have you ever tasted one of those tomatoes?

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 23 Mar , 2006 6:52 pm

If I don't really care much, does that make me a lesser person?

Profile Quote
The Watcher
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 23 Mar , 2006 11:20 pm
Same as it ever was

yovargas wrote:
If I don't really care much, does that make me a lesser person?
You're a hippo. We do not expect you to care. :D:D ;) The question is, does that make you a lesser hippo? :scratch:

Jude -

I have not had those tomatoes, but I HAVE had some of those warty looking ones from my own garden, or that of my parents. They TASTE wonderful!! :) Hopefully, I can convince my mom to try some heirloom varieties this year, they need to be started from seed, and my luck with that has not been so good, although she is a pro at it.

Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 miles per second, is a cow that has been dropped from a helicopter.

Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

- Dave Barry

Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive...
Supermassive Black Hole.

- Muse

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 25 Mar , 2006 2:35 am

I never took Home-Ec. My mother, in a show of wisdom, decided that her sons needed to know how to cook. It seems more and more people do not know, and that knowledge could be beneficial on the marriage market.

Well, it didn't turn out quite that way. Meril does know how to cook, but since I enjoy cooking more I am the family cook.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 25 Mar , 2006 10:21 am
Milk and kisses

Mr Ber, with his half-French, half-Spanish heritage, is a very capable cook who enjoys making quite complicate dishes (stews, casseroles, that sort of thing) and experimenting with spices and seasoning, and when I'm tired he often cooks. However, I do most of the cooking at home because I work part-time, and therefore I consider it my duty to do a higher proportion of housework, and besides I enjoy cooking. :) But I know that if the situation were reversed and I was the highest-earner (and spent longer hours at work), he would take charge of more chores.

That means that when I have to go away for a day or so I don't worry about him eating takeaway all the time. He eats more healthily than I do! :D

CG, I think you're right; I would hesitate to live with a man who wouldn't know how to feed himself. However, if I were very much in love, I would give him a crash course... ;)

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
WampusCat
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 25 Mar , 2006 1:41 pm

I've had an official Ugly Tomato, and it was quite good. :)

My high school offered Home Economics and I refused to take it because I assumed it was for girly girls whose only ambition in life was to marry. I took physics instead.

Now I really wish I had taken Home Ec, which would have been far more useful.

I am cooking impaired. I can barely follow a recipe and am lost without one. About the time I decided to start really learning, I married a man who is extremely picky and we then had a child who is even pickier, but in a totally opposite direction. So we eat out a lot. :(

Right now the boy has decided he must eat vegetarian, but he refuses to touch almost all vegetables. The spouse wants lots of meat and heavy sauces. I would like to see us all eat more balanced and healthy meals. Sigh...

I just wish you could go to the store and buy People Chow. Have some in a bowl twice a day and be done with it.

Word shaper / Soul tender / Melody maker

Profile Quote
cemthinae
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 25 Mar , 2006 4:17 pm
TTBK's cemmie

WampusKitty, I just have to say how happy I am that you are allowing your son to make his own choices of what he wants to eat.

I wanted to be vegetarian when I was younger, but I wasn't allowed. Makes me warm & fuzzy to know that someone else is! :D

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Lurker
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 25 Mar , 2006 7:09 pm

I remember when I asked my father in law for my wife's hand in marriage, the first thing that came out of his mouth was "Are you sure you want to marry my daughter, she doesn't know how to cook?" :D I don't know if he was trying to scare me or it's just a nice way of saying "no." The only food my wife knows how to cook is spaghetti, she makes the best one. My friends often ask her to bring her spaghetti to potluck parties. Now, she learned how to bake.

I'm the designate cook at home since like Ber said if you have French-Spanish blood in you, your family expects you to learn. Plus the fact, I was a picky eater when I was a kid, my mom would annoyingly say "You don't like what I cook, learn to cook" which I did. My grandma is Spanish so she taught me how to cook all kinds of Spanish food and an Uncle thought me how to cook french food. Then I learned how to cook Chinese by dropping by and staying at a friend's house for dinner and watching his mom cook, my chinese gf back then taught me how to pick ingredients at the Asian store. I enrolled in Thai cooking lessons a few years ago and now, I'm learning to cook east indian food which really sticks my place because of the spices. My wife and I often have a few bottles of Fabreeze to freshen the air and esp. our clothes. That's the only problem cooking Asian food in a small apartment in the winter, it stinks up the place. I have a lot of cook books at home and I often use it so the pages have smudges on it. In fact, I have Jamie Oliver's book which was a gift from my mom who watches his show often.

CG said that a man who learns how to cook is beneficial in the marriage market. :D In fact, my wife's friend often tells her she's lucky I do all the cooking but I often tell them I'm luckier to have a wife who washes the dishes for me cause I hate doing it. My wife doesn't like leaving dishes on the sink and doesn't trust the dishwasher to the job for her.

Anyways, my best friend has been bugging me for years to open a restuarant and I could be the chef. I keep turning him down saying "Cooking is just a hobby for me, once it becomes a full time job it's not fun anymore." Plus the fact, I can't stay up late at night nowadays because of a medical condition (in the blood), so I need to rest a lot, cooking esp. in a restuarant takes a lot of work, not just cooking, planning the meal, budgeting and stuff.

I can't blame people for not learning to cook since like a lot of people said takes a lot of time and energy just to plan a meal, when you can buy a cheaper version at the restuarant, no sweat.

Last edited by Lurker on Sat 25 Mar , 2006 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Caution...You are entering the NO SPIN ZONE.

Profile Quote
Meneltarma
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 25 Mar , 2006 7:21 pm
Fading Softly

Its when I read things like this that I realise how lucky I am (foodwise :D ) to live in this country. We buy our vegetables fresh from a vegetable market (mostly organic) every morning and try to finish them all within a couple of days. We (my family) used to grow our own peas...nowadays we buy them fresh and in the pod and shell them ourselves. We actually grow our own bananas. and the vegetable market system means we only get what's in season. :)

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 25 Mar , 2006 7:38 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

And having one of the world's best cuisines.

:bow:

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
Onizuka Eikichi
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 25 Mar , 2006 11:15 pm

Food and drink are simply immeasurable in their complexity. A drink between two people can be worth more than any amount of money.

冬ながら
空より花の
散り来るは
雲のあなたに
春にやあるらん

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 2  [ 35 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 1 2
Jump to: