Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 35 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
Berhael
Post subject: Food and feeding yourself
Posted: Wed 15 Mar , 2006 5:26 pm
Milk and kisses

I just read this article on the BBC News website:
Quote:
School children are more likely to learn how to design food packaging than how to cook a meal, says a new report. So where have half-baked cookery lessons left the nation?

It's an old cliché that many men leave home not even knowing how to boil an egg, but now it seems a whole generation of people lack the most basic cooking skills.

Cookery has virtually disappeared from timetables and the result is a generation of young adults who have passed through the school system without learning how to cook and look after themselves nutritionally, say campaigners.

A new Ofsted report backs them. It says even when cooking - or food technology as it is now known - is taught pupils are more likely to be using computers to produce drawings of icing on cakes than learning how to cook nutritious meals. Efforts to get children eating more healthily are being hampered as a result, it adds.

Donkey meat

Many young adults don't know how to chop vegetables, grill meat or even make a salad, leaving them with little option but ready meals and fast food when it comes to feeding themselves and their family, says Anita Cormac, director of the Focus on Food campaign.

"What has happened in schools is disgraceful, there's been a whole erosion of food culture," she says. "Every child should have a right to learn about food because it's only if you can cook that you have a choice in what you eat.

"We've taught students who seriously think a bowl of tinned tuna is donkey meat, can't recognise an onion and don't know chips come from potatoes. Some adults aren't much better."

Celebrity chef Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall says the lack of food education in schools is a massive problem and young adults are leaving education not even knowing the basics, like where food comes from.

"Historically I think teaching cookery has been viewed as an insurance for the less ambitious student," he says. "It has not been connected with ambition and career success, but it is fundamentally more important than a lot of subjects because it is about our everyday lives and health."

So what happened? The erosion of cooking in schools started years ago and it has been viewed as a "low level" subject for a long while. It was in danger of being written out of the national curriculum entirely but instead was brought under design and technology and was made compulsory only for primary schools.

'Funny-face cooking'

The technology side of things dominated and most lessons ended up being based around work concerning design and manufacture, rather than actual cooking. It's only in recent years that "cookery" has become an acceptable word again, but that's too late for a generation of young adults who know more about packaging than pastry.

"We have the greatest selection of ingredients available to us than ever before yet a substantial amount of the nation don't know how to use even the basics," says Ms Cormac.

Focus on Food operates two cooking buses which tour schools giving pupils and teachers cooking lessons. Ms Cormac came up with the idea after a career as a food technology teacher. The buses teach 12,000 pupils and 3,000 teachers a year.

"The children absolutely love the lessons," she says. "We don't do any 'funny-face cooking', what we do is real food. A whole new world is opened up to them and they really like getting stuck in. They can't wait to show their parents what they have cooked."

Ofsted's report also calls for parents to take responsibility for making sure their children eat healthy food, saying they have the "foremost responsibility to... influence their eating habits". But if parents have never been taught about food how can they?

"Some parents don't have the basic skills to cook their child even the simplest fresh meal but dish up a diet of fast food," says Richard Watts, of health and consumer group Sustain.

Modern

"Is it any wonder that childhood obesity is rising very fast. If parents can't teach their children how to cook and schools don't, the problem is passed on through the generations."

The government has acknowledged more needs to be done to ensure children learn about diet, nutrition and practical cooking skills and there are moves to reintroduce cookery lessons in secondary schools.

But teaching unions have defended schools, saying if cooking has been knocked off timetables it is probably because the government has told them something else is more important instead.

"If the government pushes one thing on the National Curriculum it is often at the expense of something else," says the general secretary of the National Association of Head Teachers, Mick Brookes.

"Schools are always being chased to conform to the latest wheeze. Many schools don't have the facilities to teach cooking. If the government wants it back on the agenda it needs to provide money for safe, modern kitchens, not criticise."
Not long ago there was a programme on British TV called "Jamie's School Dinners", where a famous TV chef, Jamie Oliver, tried to change the eating habits of schoolchildren. I watched in horrified fascination, simply unable to believe the rubbish that schools are feeding children these days. As a child I was very fussy with food, but what I saw left me dumbstruck. Pizza and chips? As a regular school meal?? :Q

OK, so I'm Spanish, and I come from a tradition where food is revered and meals are treated as a social occasion, much more than simply fuel for the body. But even being aware of the cultural differences, we are all human, right? We all need to eat... and we all have tastebuds. I simply cannot understand a culture that treats food as mere fuel. Isn't it much nicer to treat food as something nice, a treat? :scratch:

My thoughts about all this are very confused and disorganised, so I may use this thread as a sort of notebook to try and come up with a coherent argument... but it's a topic that interests me greatly, and I'll welcome everybody's input.

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 15 Mar , 2006 5:59 pm

Did schools use teach cooking?? :scratch:

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 15 Mar , 2006 6:32 pm
Hasta la victoria, siempre

They taught it at my school. It was such shit that I quit when compulsory lessons ended at the end of year nine. It was all paperwork and things. They should teach people how to cook.

:rage:

*~Pips~*

Avatar is a male me, drawn by a very close friend. Just don't ask why.

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 15 Mar , 2006 6:47 pm
Milk and kisses

Cooking is an essential skill for an adult, as much as first aid or driving (I say that fully aware that I can't drive :Q ). If families can't provide it, then schools should.

I was never taught to cook at school, but then all Spaniards (male and female) get at least some rudimentary notions of cookery from their mums...

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 15 Mar , 2006 6:48 pm

Berhael wrote:
Cooking is an essential skill for an adult, as much as first aid or driving
They didn't teach those either at schools I went to.

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 15 Mar , 2006 6:52 pm
Milk and kisses

Neither did mine. But they should.

Profile Quote
Meneltarma
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 15 Mar , 2006 8:51 pm
Fading Softly

They taught it at my school, but it was optional and only a few girls (and no boys :suspicious: ) took it. I didn't. They never seemed to do much actual cooking, anyway.
I was lucky - with both parents working I had to learn to cook. I had a babysitter till I was about 10, after that I learned to feed myself. Mum's obsessed with diet and nutrition, so I've always been very aware of what went into what I ate and what my body was getting out of it.

And pizza and chips for a school meal is just very irresponsible. :rage:

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 15 Mar , 2006 9:45 pm
You are hearing me talk

I would gladly take all my nutrition in pill form if I could. For me, eating is a chore and an interruption of my activities. Once in a while for whatever reason I'll get up the urge to cook a real meal; but I always end up thinking, "all that time and energy and this is all I have to show for it?" I usually do eat reasonably healthy foods; I just select things that don't require preparation.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have the day off and I promised my wife I'd cook supper. :D

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 16 Mar , 2006 1:58 am
bioalchemist

YOu could take cooking classes at my school, but they were elective, so I didn't. I taught myself after I left home, and I also picked up a few things from my mom, who would have tauhgt me much more if I had sat down to learn.

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 16 Mar , 2006 9:21 am
Filthy darwinian hobbit

I think the article Ber quoted sums up what is wrong with the educational mentality. :bang:

but hey, they are only kids so it doesn't really matter - right?

Both my kids, despite their good intentions and encouragement from us, never cooked much at home. Parental cooking was just too convenient. Now they live independently they are adventurous cooks. I stayed with my daughter last weekend and she cooked a garlic soup. (50 cloves of garlic for 3 people :Q ) My son cooks Indian, Chinese, Thai and Mediterranean food in his shared house.
A saying I came across once; 'If you are greedy and can read you can cook'.

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
Mummpizz
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 16 Mar , 2006 11:10 am
Gloriosus

ToshoftheWuffingas wrote:
'If you are greedy and can read you can cook'.
The growing branch of "convenience food" (from the inventors of deep-freezing, canning and the microwave) has no interest in people's ability to read, almost as much as the political class.
Cooking takes time. Time is too valuable. Therefore time is the most valuable gift one can give today, and if it's being used for the preparation of a good meal (not necessarily many-coursed but made with love) it is something rarely met with the deserved appreciation … ho hum, ho hum, it's a pity people have to be so hasty today.

Grr. Now I'm hungry. And I have to fix the toilet first.

– – –

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 16 Mar , 2006 12:48 pm
Troubadour of Ithilien

Home Economics (Cookery) was taught at my secondary school, but it didn't exactly leave me enthused about food. The recipes always seemed to go wrong or I didn't like them and there was never enough time. That said, like good manners and a passion for learning, I think that a love of food needs to be fostered in the home.

I was lucky that my mum was brought up cooking properly (post-war austerity to blame!) and so I was brought up to think about where my food comes from. As kids we didn't even like junk food (unless you count fish & chips!) and I hated pizza with a passion!

I suspect that a fair proportion of people in the UK do enjoy sitting down to regular, proper home-cooked meals as a social event. The media just doesn't always reflect that. ;)

Nonetheless, I do worry about some of the children growing up today, whose parents clearly aren't (or can't) do their duty in educating them properly. The sort you see having their Sunday lunch in the McDonalds on Purley Way, or whose parents are spotted filling their trollies with Tesco value lasagna, crisps, fizzy drinks and a conspicuous absence of fruit and veg. :(

Also found on Facebook - hunt me down via the MetaTORC group.

[ img ]

I just adore the concept of washing Dirty Horseboys!

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 16 Mar , 2006 2:28 pm
Aspiring to heresy

We had "Home Economics" taught in my high school; I assume it covered more than cooking.

Unfortunately, there was a prejudice that only the "dumb" kids would take it. So I wasted my time with science and math.

I'm a great cook now, but only because I taught myself. Apart from basic arithmetic, all that science and math that I spent so much time on does not play any part of my daily life.

I took music, of course, but it was so basic that I didn't learn anything that I hadn't already learned in private lessons.

Apart from learning to type fast without looking at my hands, I'd say that all in all, high school was a waste of time for me. Except that they wouldn't have let me into university without it.

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 16 Mar , 2006 3:03 pm
of Vinyamar

Yay, so we can expect some nice meals from Jude and Ber in Edinburgh!

Although Ber and I have already agreed that you have to try a traditional Cod'n'Chip for a proper British Chippy.

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Taurië
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 16 Mar , 2006 3:23 pm
getting out of lurkdom

I find it hard to believe that pizza (and I mean the real one, not the Gino Ginelli fake ones) is considered junk food :(

flour, olive oil, tomato and mozzarella cheese, what's junky about that? :scratch:

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 16 Mar , 2006 3:24 pm
Aspiring to heresy

I know two great places in Edinburgh for fish and chips!

Edit: I'll also be treating you all to my home-made pizza (I learned my pizza skills in Naples).

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Taurië
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 16 Mar , 2006 3:27 pm
getting out of lurkdom

:Wooper:

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 16 Mar , 2006 3:28 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

I make pizza most weekends at the same time as I make bread and I don't consider it junk.

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
Mummpizz
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 16 Mar , 2006 5:46 pm
Gloriosus

I define "Junk food" as something edible which is
a. of unknown and untracable origin (I suppose "paddies" are being baked somewhere, but they could as well be cast)
b. faster produced than consumed.

– – –

Profile Quote
The Watcher
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 17 Mar , 2006 3:04 pm
Same as it ever was

What an interesting thread. :)

When I was in 7th grade, we HAD to take Home Ec for one semester, half of that was cooking and nutrition, the other half sewing and home repair - learning about circuits, plumbing, all quite basic stuff. ALL kids had to take it. I think by the time my younger brothers got into the same grade, 8 and 10 years later, that mandatory course was no longer such, it was optional.

The only part of that class that I stank at was sewing - I detested it!! :D

But, being the oldest of five kids, I DID know how to cook, and by the time I was in my teens, I could do it quite well, thank you. I still love it to this day, and my two sons know how to do it as well. Alas, my eldest, my daughter, cannot even scramble eggs without burning them. She will need to teach herself, if she ever desires to do so. She never had ANY interest in learning how to cook, and her skills are sadly limited to heating up frozen foods or getting carryout.

I do not consider homemade ANYTHING junk food, unless things heavy on fats and sugars and processed carbs are the primary staples in the diet.

Homemade pizza is delicious and quite healthy, generally low in fat and can be made nutritionally complete if served with a big green salad instead of garlic toast sopped with oil or butter.

It is a shame nowadays that food in so many cultures is relegated to the same level as art or music, something that one buys and only appreciates occasionally, instead of a key part of our daily life and culture.

And, sometimes the most simple basic things are the best tasting and most easily prepared - fresh vegetables, fresh fruits, good whole grain breads and pastas, simply grilled or roasted meats, eggs, none of this stuff takes rocket science to make, and can be done quite inexpensively and quickly.

I will be honest, we RARELY eat out, or carry out, and I do not miss it at all. We have more fun here exploring other cultures and trying out a wide variety of foods that conveys SO much more than simply ordering something off of a sign or a menu, since we have to get together the ingredients, prepare them, and then maybe learn a bit about why that is popular in its country of origin.

I am so proud, my youngest son wants to be a chef, and he even has some recipes that he helped create for some of his favorite dishes. He just turned 9. :D

Last edited by The Watcher on Fri 17 Mar , 2006 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 miles per second, is a cow that has been dropped from a helicopter.

Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

- Dave Barry

Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive...
Supermassive Black Hole.

- Muse

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 35 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: