Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]
Berhael
Post subject: ETA announces permanent ceasefire
Posted: Wed 22 Mar , 2006 12:24 pm
Milk and kisses

I've just read this and am incredulously happy:
Quote:
Eta 'calls permanent ceasefire'

The Basque separatist group Eta has declared a permanent ceasefire, according to reports on Basque radio.

The group has been fighting for independence for the Basque region of northern Spain and south-west France for nearly four decades.

It is blamed for killing more than 800 people in that time, many of them Spanish police, judges and politicians.

Eta said its objective now was "to start a new democratic process in the Basque country".

The authenticity of the announcement - which said the ceasefire would begin on Friday 24 March - could not immediately be verified.

It was made first on Basque radio and TV outlets in Spain, and then carried by the Basque newspaper Gara, the usual vehicle for Eta statements.

The group's activities have been waning, with the number of bombings falling in recent years. The last deadly Eta attack was in May 2003. In the 1970s Eta attacks killed 100 people or more every year.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4832672.stm

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 22 Mar , 2006 12:34 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

W00t! W00t!
About time too!

Do you think the horrors of the Madrid train bombings finally convinced them?

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 22 Mar , 2006 12:36 pm
Milk and kisses

I think so, Tosh. I read an article in the Guardian that said just that, and I tend to agree with that analysis.

Back later... gotta run now!

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 22 Mar , 2006 3:57 pm
Hasta la victoria, siempre

Yay! :D

*~Pips~*

Avatar is a male me, drawn by a very close friend. Just don't ask why.

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 22 Mar , 2006 7:20 pm
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

I saw this on BBC News this morning. :D I certainly hope that Eta lives up to their promise. Whatever convinced them to agree to the cease-fire, I'm glad that it at least had some positive effects.

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 23 Mar , 2006 8:26 am
Filthy darwinian hobbit

Basically terrorist strategies are blind alleys but it takes them decades to discover this.

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
Mummpizz
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 23 Mar , 2006 8:45 am
Gloriosus

ToshoftheWuffingas wrote:
Basically terrorist strategies are blind alleys but it takes them decades to discover this.
Not necessarily so. Israel was founded with the strategic help of terrorist attacks, and czarist russia was weakened in decisive spots before the revolution could take place.

The tragedy of most modern terrorism, however, is the terrorists' claim of being "spearhead of the nation/people" without the nation/people actually wanting to be spearheaded. This is the great difference between the Hamas, which enjoys a large popular support, and the ETA/IRA, who are a bunch of anachronistic blockheads.

– – –

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium”
Jump to: