board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Ever wanted to know the real truth about April Fools Day?

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]
Mummpizz
Post subject: Ever wanted to know the real truth about April Fools Day?
Posted: Fri 07 Apr , 2006 3:52 pm
Gloriosus

http://www.realtruth.org/articles/mar-a ... QgodBGWQkA

My oh my oh my oh. "I cant eat as much as I want to vomit", Max Liebermann said - this here, ladies and gentlemen, is the perfect example of what the real truth is: there are taliban within every religion, and they're right behind you. And somebody gives them money to buy google ads.
:rage:

– – –

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 07 Apr , 2006 4:04 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

Quote:
They must separate themselves from all pagan customs, practices and traditions of this world—including April Fools’ Day!
Bang goes Christmas Day then and most of its customs.

For me, one of the best April Fools' jokes was by the ultra-serious BBC Panorama program almost 50 years ago (the show is still running).

It was hosted by the also ultra-serious broadcaster Richard Dimbleby, whose named is revered and given to awards and lectures. For those in the US, you would have seen his son, Jonathan, interviewing Condi Rice and Jack Straw last week.

The program covered a food group relatively unknown in the UK at the time.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/70000/vid ... ool_vi.ram

[ img ]

Profile Quote
oldtoby
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 08 Apr , 2006 12:51 am
Cuddly Studmuffin

What a bunch of party poopers, and religious folks wonder why normal people think they are strange.

Profile Quote
Sunsilver
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 08 Apr , 2006 1:52 am

Check their credentials. They are an offshoot of the Worldwide Church of God (Herbert W. Armstrong) which has a pretty sketchy reputation.

Not surprised in the least. Another offshootof this movement is the Seventh Day Adventists. My husband was good friends with some S.D.A. They were wonderful people, but their doctrines were very legalistic.

When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose[/size]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 08 Apr , 2006 4:09 am
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

:damnfunny:

I'm sorry, but that is just absurd. LOL.

I could say I was waiting for the "Ha-ha-ha! Just kidding! April Fool's!" at the end of the article, but, unfortunately, I know this publication. :roll: It does not joke.

I'm sorry, but I think it's pointless and futile for Christians to try and take out all trappings of paganism and heathen practices from our traditions, celebrations, customs, and lives. Am I going to go out and sacrifice my children in the fires of Molech? No, of course not. But should I rip down my Christmas tree because it probably has pagan origins? No. Am I putting up/decorating that Christmas tree to worship Woden? No, I am merely doing it as a tradition and as part of my family's and my culture's celebration of the birth of Jesus.

God is interested in what is in our hearts--always. That is the key to what deciding we should and should not do on these side issues. IMO. ;)

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 08 Apr , 2006 5:44 am

Quote:
Another offshootof this movement is the Seventh Day Adventists. My husband was good friends with some S.D.A. They were wonderful people, but their doctrines were very legalistic.
(I was raised SDA by my SDA parents. Though are more legalistic then most, that aspect probably gets overblown a bit.)

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 08 Apr , 2006 8:37 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

I reckon that someone played a really baaad April's Fool trick on that guy when he was younger and he was sitting there writing that and imagining the hellfire that would await all those bastards who caught him.

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
TWT
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 13 Apr , 2006 7:34 pm
Wembley bound

I understand the reasoning from a biblical point of view but he has some of the reasoning all wrong. The root of pagan practices is correct but saying that to play a joke on someone would classify as lying and thus a sin is rediculous!

Personally I don't celebrate Christmas. For one thing I don't see the big attrraction to it. Take a lot of time, energy and most importantly money. I prefer to part with none of those things. And I don't mix in practices that are so deeply rooted in pagan holidays that the "church" painted over so as to be able to convert more people and make Christianity seem more attractive. I think if Jesus wanted us to celebrate his birthday (birthdays are also frowned upon in the bible) then he would have commanded it. He was pretty damn specific with everything else he commanded including he request that his disciples celebrate the memorial of his death every year, something which i don't see people doing. So people ignore what they don't want to do and create reasons for the things they do. No big deal to me, like I said its a lot of fuss for no reason...

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium”
Jump to: