The Last Homely Site on the Web

Women 'have constant body woes'

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 28 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
Leoba
Post subject: Women 'have constant body woes'
Posted: Tue 11 Apr , 2006 1:05 pm
Troubadour of Ithilien

According to this BBC article, based on research for a magazine.

I'm genuinely bothered to hear that only 1 in 50 women are happy with their bodies. How many people must spend a lifetime worrying about what they eat and what they look like, instead of actually living.

:(

Quote:
Almost a third of women worry about the way their body looks "every waking minute", a survey has found.
The poll of over 5,000 women for Grazia magazine found just one in 50 was happy with the way her body looks, with women wanting to lose an average of 19lbs.

Seven out of 10 women said life would improve if they had "better" bodies.

The Eating Disorders Association said body concerns were not illness - but warned anorexia and bullimia began with a "distorted" body image.

Women had tried a range of extreme measures, such as laxative use and fasting in order to lose weight.

If [women] step on the scales and find themselves 2lbs heavier it can ruin their day
Jane Bruton, Grazia editor

Actress and TV presenter Kelly Brook, famed for her curves, was considered to have the best British female body in the survey.

It concluded that the average British woman worries about her body every 15 minutes.

Virtually all those who completed the magazine and website survey said they had dieted at some point in their life - with 41% saying they constantly watched what they ate.

Half admitted to lying about their weight, while almost a third (29%) cut size labels out of their clothes.

'Muffin rolls'

The most hated part of the body for women was their thighs - highlighted by 87%, with the waist, disliked by 79%.

The survey also revealed 65% were unhappy with their breasts, with the same number having negative feelings about their feet and 59% unhappy with their face.

Teeth were picked out by 57% of the women surveyed, who said they were unhappy with the way they looked.

Half said they had "muffin rolls" - described as "podgy rolls sticking out over their waistband".

The only parts of the body which were widely liked were the "slimmish ankles" owned by 54% of those surveyed.

'Fixes' available

Grazia editor Jane Bruton said she was encouraged that women said their ideal weight would be a healthy 9st 2lb (58kg).

But she added: "British women today are harshly critical of their body shape.

"As a result, many of us have what is called a normal/abnormal relationship with food and are full of contradictions - we might have a diet coke with a doughnut or skip lunch because we're going out for dinner.

"Many women are constantly thinking `shall I eat it, shall I not eat it' and, rightly or wrongly, if they step on the scales and find themselves 2lbs heavier it can ruin their day."

One expert told the magazine part of the problem was that access to surgery and procedures which could change the way someone looks increased pressure on those who were unhappy.

Susan Ringwood, chief executive of the Eating Disorders Association, said: "This survey is self-selecting, but it does highlight a particular trend which seems to be increasing."

She added: "We all have days where we think we shouldn't have that extra biscuit. That's very different to having a psychological illness - which is what an eating disorder is.

"But all eating disorders begin with a distorted relationship with food and how you feel about your body."

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/h ... 898484.stm

Published: 2006/04/11 11:52:46 GMT

© BBC MMVI

Also found on Facebook - hunt me down via the MetaTORC group.

[ img ]

I just adore the concept of washing Dirty Horseboys!

Profile Quote
Nienor SharkAttack
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 11 Apr , 2006 1:24 pm

Sad indeed. No doubt true. And I must admit that I'm one of these women. *Sigh*

These things start when kids are just... kids - around 9-10 years when I was that young, and even earlier today. The pressure to look good is enormous. This must be a huge problem. At the same time, so is overweight. There's the somtimes delicate balance between being healthy and being obsessed...

:shrug:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
eborr
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 11 Apr , 2006 2:15 pm

I also have a problem obsessing about womens bodies

Profile Quote
Nienor SharkAttack
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 11 Apr , 2006 2:41 pm

We all feel very sorry for you. :D

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 12 Apr , 2006 8:19 am
Takoyaki is love

Did the survey include anything on where women were getting the message something was wrong with their bodies? Family? Media? I would think people wouldn't find fault with their own body unless they were getting the message from somewhere constantly that something was wrong with it.

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 12 Apr , 2006 9:09 am
Troubadour of Ithilien

Wilma, I haven't (and wouldn't) buy the magazine, not even in the name of research. So I just don't know.

There is almost a mass hysteria about dictating to women how they must respond to things, themselves included. It makes me feel embarrassed and odd to feel genuinely happy with my body and my looks (it's taken 15 years since hitting puberty to get here, mind you).

I don't feel sorry for eborr. If there weren't men out there being obsessed with women's bodies, there wouldn't be anyone to help undo the poor self esteem imposed on woman-kind by the media.

Also found on Facebook - hunt me down via the MetaTORC group.

[ img ]

I just adore the concept of washing Dirty Horseboys!

Profile Quote
eborr
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 12 Apr , 2006 11:25 am

Leoba wrote:
I don't feel sorry for eborr. If there weren't men out there being obsessed with women's bodies, there wouldn't be anyone to help undo the poor self esteem imposed on woman-kind by the media.
Quite right, people feeling sorry for me is the worst possible thing

Profile Quote
Lord_Morningstar
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 12 Apr , 2006 11:43 am

Admittedly, I question the methodology of the survey. Going around asking people ‘are you satisfied with your teeth/thighs/ankles ect?’ and going through a long list is bound to bring up some negative results. When I look in the mirror, I notice that my nose is a little too big. Does it bother me at all at other times? Not at all. Would I go to any effort to change it? Certainly not. It’s just something I pick up on when I see my reflection and might consider altering should I come upon some magic method of body alternation. I’m concerned this survey is a similar thing – on the whole, how many of these women really obsess about their, say, teeth?

That being said, the point of this thread is obviously very valid.

[Space for Rent]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 12 Apr , 2006 3:05 pm
Takoyaki is love

(I sadly know too many women who constantly worry :( ).

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
TWT
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 13 Apr , 2006 7:20 pm
Wembley bound

I wonder if there has been such a survey on dudes...

I can see why these women feel this way though. Every magazine when you're at the store buying groceries is covered with women who have "perfet bodies" and with tips 'how to make your body perfect in 25 days' etc. There seems to be so much pressure.

I think its sad.

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 14 Apr , 2006 3:47 am
bioalchemist

The pressure comes from all angles. Men like to look, so we're supposed to look good for the men. However, one thing I've noticed is that across time and space men like curves. Not stick figures. Curves. They don't care if you're a size 14 or a size 2 so long as you have curves. However, the stick figure look comes in and out of vogue. So it's not all about the men. It's also about media, who somehow manage to sell us the stick figures. I'm not sure why the stick figures sell so well. Marilyn Monroe was a size 12; if she were around nowadays the tabloids would be calling her a cow. Hell, Liv Tyler is something like a 7 or 9 and I've heard people call her big. Those voluptuous pin-ups from the 50's? I don't think silicone implants existed back then. Those girls actually had flesh on their bones. Maybe the stick figures started selling because they were new and different and fit the clothes the designers started making and then suddenly everyone was a stick figure and that was all that was left to sell. SO now we're bombarded with skinny girls, usually blonde, with enormous sunglasses that make them look like insects.

And then ladies, the final pressure comes from us. It's a game we play against each other, to see who can be the prettiest according to rules that have never been codified and yet we all know. It's about scaring off the "lesser girls". The ones who aren't as fashionable, or as thin. It's about finding a mate. The men don't care if you're wearing the right brand of shoes, or if the colors match (in fact, most men can't even tell if the colors match). However, they smell confidence the way dogs smell fear, and they like confidence. And that is how you beat the system at its own game - by loving yourself as you are. Your appearance only defines you as much as you let it.

I literally had to break my nose and bash up my face in a climbing accident three years ago to learn that lesson. Ever since then, I've stopped feeling guilty for not trying harder with my looks, or feeling inadequate about my body, or resentful of the rich people who can set these impossible standards. I'm not saying every woman who feels bad about herself needs to break her face. I'm just saying that this shit is so ingrained that that's what it can take to break free of it.

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 14 Apr , 2006 5:38 am
Takoyaki is love

Speak it Riverthalos!!!!!!!! :D

[ img ]

Profile Quote
TWT
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 14 Apr , 2006 6:07 am
Wembley bound

Riverthalos wrote:
The pressure comes from all angles. Men like to look, so we're supposed to look good for the men.
I will NOT dispute that men like to look. Its true. But in my opinion that's not by far the leading reason why women are determined to look so good. It seems that just like in hollywood and the music business women are always trying to outdo eachother. They want to look good for 'society' and yes, men in general but I don't think that men are the greatest pressure.

In saying that I'm referring of course to the women that are really obsessed with themselves. Not to the women who genuinely want to look pretty for a real purpose. :)

Profile Quote
laureanna
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 14 Apr , 2006 6:51 am
Triathlete

I've avoided the meat market for 30 years. I've been out of circulation (married) all that time to a guy who still thinks I'm beautiful, even with the extra 80 pounds, and even though no one else, including myself, has ever declared me to be beautiful. I'm not trying to turn anyone else's head, because I don't see the point in it. I try to have a neat appearance, because I think a messy one is offensive, but that's the extent of my concern about my body image. Yes, I'd like to be thinner, because it would be less wear and tear on my knees and my heart. But I'm not obsessing over it, and I don't mind the way I look. I guess I'm one of the 2% in the article that doesn't mind.

I remember a sixth grade exercise in which we each had to write about what we would change about our bodies. About a third of the kids wanted a nose just like one of the girls in the class. I was the only one who said, "I like me this way."

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 14 Apr , 2006 5:23 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

Slowly but surely men are starting to try and look better, although it's too late for me - I gave my hair the brush off years ago.

I wonder if the stats vary significantly between women who are (happily) married and those single.

I'd think there probably is. When we are trying to get a date, it's first impressions that count most of the time. Men on the whole are attracted primarily by good/healthy looks. Women, by humor, confidence, non-threatening manner and financial security. These of course are *huge* generalizations, but more times than not, it's one of those.

Dating is like shopping. For women looking to attract men, the shop window has to look good in order to attract the customers. It's only when the customers have come inside (sorry about the pun), in other words got to know the woman, do both know if there is a fit (the pun continues). And just like shops, you can find one where the shop window is not good at all, but inside it's a gem of a place. Fewer customers of course, but they are happier.

Ultimately it's the inside of the shop that really counts, ie the personality.

I also wonder if there is a difference between mothers and not-mothers.

Reminds me, yet again, of the Chris Rock skit from Bigger And Blacker.
Quote:
That's right, man. Relationships: easy to get into, hard to maintain. Why are they so hard to maintain? Because it's hard to keep up the lie. 'Cause you can't get nobody being you. You got to lie to get somebody. You can't get nobody looking like you look, acting like you act...sounding like you sound. When you meet somebody for the first time, you're not meeting them. You're meeting their representative. That's right.

Who are the biggest liars, men or women? Men lie the most, women tell the biggest lies.

Men, we lie all the time. We lie so much, it's damn near a language. It's like, to call a man out for lying...is like playing basketball with a retarded kid and calling him for double dribble. You gotta let some shit slide.

Men, we lie all the time. You know what a man's lie is like? A man's lie is like, "I was at Tony's house." "I'm at Kenny's house." That's a man's lie.

A women's lie is like, "lt's your baby."

We've all heard that one.

-"lt don't even look like me."
-"He's got your hat."

That's right. Who the biggest liars? Women the biggest liars.

Look at you, all of you. Masters of the lie, the visual lie. Look at you. You got on heels, you ain't that tall. You got on makeup, your face don't look like that. You got a weave, your hair ain't that long. You got a Wonderbra on, your titties ain't that big.

Everything about you is a lie, and you expect men to tell the truth? Fuck you! Men lie, we live lies. That's why we so crazy.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 15 Apr , 2006 3:50 am
Pure Kitsch Flavor

Funny - I read a survey just this week that said that 95% of American women are unhappy with their bodies. That's just messed up to me, cause I see so many beautiful women who are pretty much perfect, and yet I know they are unhappy.

This weight loss thing I am doing now, I am only trying to get to 135 - 130 lbs. I know I was unhappy when I was at that weight previously, but now I look at pics of me then, and call myself an idiot. Am I happy with myself now? No. But I'm a heck of a lot happier than I was two months ago. And yes, I do think there would be a difference between married and unmarried women. I know that having a husband who loves me has made a huuuuuuuuuge difference in the way I view myself, and how comfortable I am in my own body.

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 15 Apr , 2006 5:05 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

*I'm* very comfortable in there too.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
TWT
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 15 Apr , 2006 5:39 pm
Wembley bound

I think women associate body beauty way too much with attractivness. Guys can't help but look when a beautiful women walks by but the majority of guys (there are enough shallow ones out there as well) are not exactly just going for the hot factor when looking for a woman. Some friends of mine have said and I agree that usually if she's incredibly hot then she's probably psycho as well.

Sure, even I look for beauty in a girl but I've known some couples who are the happiest people I know and they didn't go for the supermodel look when dating. You learn the right perspective when you hang around with sensible people.

Profile Quote
Nienor SharkAttack
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 15 Apr , 2006 6:37 pm

Casanovas, Take Note
Sky News wrote:
... The study found that singletons who asked interesting, quirky questions secured an envy-inducing 100 per cent success rate, with all ten of their dates hoping to see them again.

Physical attractiveness was largely unimportant, the study found.

[...]

Richard Wiseman, a psychology professor who organised the research said: "The people who asked interesting, quirky questions were by no means the most attractive people in the room. But it's difficult to answer their questions without smiling." ...

Smiles and laughter always work. :)

:):):):):):):):)

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

:damnfunny:

:blackeye:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 15 Apr , 2006 6:40 pm
Pure Kitsch Flavor

That explains Steve then :devil: