Post subject:
Posted: Sat 15 Apr , 2006 8:03 pm
Pure Kitsch Flavor

Good point :help: :P

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 15 Apr , 2006 8:35 pm

Makes me think of a show I watched the other day with a friend. It was the essence of morbid fascination, us watching that show...a reality tv thing about women who were getting a complete body makeover to participate in a beauty contest in the grand finale.

And they were all so lovely looking before.

After the operation...sure, the cellulite was gone, but so was the personality.

Though, to be honest...perhaps they deserved bodies and faces to match their souls. Boring ones.

Sometimes, plastic surgery can really make a person's life change. There are problems we can't cope with. Even if it's a small thing no one else notices, if getting it 'fixed' helps you hold your head up high, what the hey, go for it. But you gotta have balls to make that decision yourself. Tv can't be the soothing voice suggesting it's the only right thing to do, suggesting that there is only one way you can achieve happiness. It can't be all 'of COURSE she's much better now, she has a perfect nose.'

I hate my own nose, and I worry about the size of my ass constantly. Seriously, I may have great tits but my backside should have tail-lights. I worry about it. A lot.

And yet I do nothing about it. I think it's called laziness. Or perhaps, there just isn't enough pressure, not enough assumption that I'm monstrously disproportionate to make me feel like I should get help immediately.

Men do like curves. River said it right. Fashion likes skin and bones- and slim girls are sexy, too. Girls are sexy in general.

There's a saying in Polish- Każda potwora znajdzie amatora. Literally: Every monster will find an admirer. Meaning, there is a man both for the sexiest star of them all, and a man for the fat-ass with a bad haircut. And, certainly, a man for every shade of grey in between the two.

[ img ]
Help me go to the North Pole! by Magic Madzik, on Flickr

TRYING TO GET TO THE NORTH POLE! You can help by voting: http://www.blogyourwaytothenorthpole.com/entries/244

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 15 Apr , 2006 9:42 pm
bioalchemist

TWT: I think you're making the point I was trying to make. We're quick to blame men and their gawking, but the truth is for every body-type there's a guy who likes to gawk. Not many women realize that though thanks to the other factors involved.

I read recently that they've found higher rates of suicide among breast implant recipients. I wonder if it's because these women had low self-esteem to begin with, and failed to understand that getting oneself sliced up does not fix the underlying problems.

I worry about being in shape, but that's got more to do with enjoying things like mountaineering and aikido at the level to which I'm accustomed. Right now I'm also a bit dissastisfied with my face, but that's what happens when you pick fights with SUVs and guess what? I'll heal. I used to feel this weird pressure to be more careful about grooming myself and felt inadequate at times because I have no interest in fashion or make-up, but after my accident three years ago I no longer feel that pressure. To my boyfriend's dismay (he's always on my case to do something about that hair and throw out that shirt and those pants and wear something that shows off my ass because he likes to see it and so on :roll:).

Not having a television and generally avoiding mass media also helps. Hate the pressure? Then just get rid of it. WTF do those blondes know anyways? They aren't you.

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 16 Apr , 2006 8:00 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

While the biggest unfair pressure that women face is to be thinner, don't be led by that to disparage thin women. Everyone has their own shape and it must be as uncomfortable to be pilloried for being thin as it is for being fat.
Some men are not innocent of exerting pressure either. Many partners use body shape as just one more means of lowering a woman's self esteem. I have a particular hatred of women newspaper columnists who earn their money by criticising - what do I mean criticising, sneering at is a better description - prominent women for their fashion sense or size.
Many years ago a young woman used to come into my local library whose smile lit you up from the inside. She had a huge port wine stain over half her face but she was ravishing. :love:

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 16 Apr , 2006 8:54 pm
of Vinyamar

Nice to see JK Rowling using her influence in a positive way on this issue:

Here's the article in question:
http://www.jkrowling.com/textonly/en/ex ... .cfm?id=22

From the Leaky Cauldrom Fansite:
Quote:
Since J.K. Rowling published her rant on our society's definition of "thin", newspapers, magazines and Web sites all over the world have picked up on the story. At BlogCritics.org, Dawn Olsen says, "At least J.K. Rowling is using her fame and popularity to try to turn the tide and for that, she gets some serious credit," while the Sunday Herald says, "It's good to be reminded of this. Almost every woman I know, and many men too, has experienced moments of repulsion, as well as pleasure and indifference, towards her body and those around her." The Times Online notes that her rant "might well have the editors of Vogue, Cosmo and the like running for cover." Forbes says that, "even a billionaire wizard begetter such [as] herself needs to vent every once in a while."

INS News first says that the message makes the writer of the article punch the air and shout "Yes," but then goes on to prove that she hasn't read the books with any amount of comprehension, calling Hermione "ravishing and trim" in the books (and "especially as played" in the movies). (Trim, thin, skinny, lean, fit - not ever ascribed to Hermione or hardly any character in the books.) And even more to the negative, The Scotsman says, "Rowling is taking herself a wee bit too seriously and should, perhaps, get out more."

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 16 Apr , 2006 10:28 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

Lidless wrote:

I wonder if the stats vary significantly between women who are (happily) married and those single.

I'd think there probably is.
I disagree. I think a heck of a lot of married women are unhappy with their body. I know I don't have to worry about attracting a mate now and I my body image hasn't changed one bit. In fact, it's only gotten worse.

Oprah has been doing a show about women and why women let themselves go and there have been lots of videos sent in by married women with them saying how unhappy they are with themselves.

Body image really doesn't have anything to do with one's marital status.

I read Rowling's article a few weeks ago and it was a nice read. It's great to see people like her and Pink speaking up....though what they were talking about wasn't totally about a woman's body image but women dumbing themselves down for men and for stardom.

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Meril36
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 20 Apr , 2006 4:32 pm

Rodia wrote:
Makes me think of a show I watched the other day with a friend. It was the essence of morbid fascination, us watching that show...a reality tv thing about women who were getting a complete body makeover to participate in a beauty contest in the grand finale.

And they were all so lovely looking before.
Was that "The Swan"? I agree. I never watched the damn thing, I have no interest in shows like that, but I saw the contestants "before and after" in a magazine while waiting for an appointment. All I could think was, "What in hell were these women thinking? ALL of them looked much better BEFORE the freakin' surgeries." Afterwards they looked like horrible distorted images of themselves, and some of them looked positively mummified. Ick.

Trying for profundity only limits depth.

With all the anger in the land, how long before the judgement day? Before we cut the fat ones down to size? Before the barricades arise?

Visit my art gallery at deviantART.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 2  [ 28 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 1 2
Jump to: