board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Speaking of over-stepping...

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]
Riverthalos
Post subject: Speaking of over-stepping...
Posted: Fri 05 May , 2006 4:26 am
bioalchemist

According to urban legend, 420 is the LA police doe for marijuana possession. As such, 4/20 has become the day of the year to get baked. This tradition is particularily popular on college campuses, and the CU student population is brazen enough to go out and get high on the lawn. The campus administration and the campus police aren't too happy about this. This year, they closed the field and then photographed all the students who were now trespassing. The photographs are now on the web witha $50 reward for anyone who identifies the people in the pictures. The person who gets identified gets a ticket in the mail for trespassing (the evidnce of marijuana use is not good enough for the courts) AND they get "Identified" printed under their picture on the web.

Here's the relevant news articles.
Bounty Hunters
4/20 Crackdown
Few Charges
[urel=http://www.coloradodaily.com/articles/2 ... /news1.txt]Lawyers to Talk About Snitching[/url]

Here's the campus police website:
CUPD

And here's the reward album in question:
Page One
Page Two

Discuss.

And no, my picture is not in there. I don't smoke and I wasn't even on campus at the time. So don't bother looking. :P

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 05 May , 2006 4:36 am
Insolent Pup

You should have been out there doing your aikido stuff. Free photographs. :D

I suppose this isn't too horrible. It's not like smoking pot is legal. But the pictures are a bit much. It's a little too big brother/voyeuristic for my taste.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 05 May , 2006 4:43 am
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

I'm sure Freddy will have something to say....

I think the students are out of line, and they are breaking the law. But why don't they break up the party on the spot, rather than just take pics and try to get them that way? Sounds like they don't have the guts to really do something about the situation or they are just putting up the appearance of caring when they really don't.

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 05 May , 2006 4:52 am
bioalchemist

TED, I have yet to pay for a photo of me taken while doing aikido.

It's the identified flags that really get to me. It's almost as if these kids have been tried, sentenced, and put in the stocks without ever actually setting foot in court. It would have been a better move to just take the pictures down as the identifications rolled in, and maybe keep a tally (ie, 20/150 or something) .

Of course, shutting down the field just for this event is also kind of annoying, and the student response was dumb. Instead of storming the field they should have a) waited until it opened up again (it gets dark around 7:30 these days) or b) picked a different field. There's lots of grassy open areas on this campus.

I wouldn't be surpised if next year the 4/20 crowd is out there again, only this time in ski masks. That might be funny.

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 05 May , 2006 5:02 am
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

Well I searched the pics but I didn't find anyone I knew. Crap, I could use the $50. :D My brother was there and got some pictures of the group on his camera phone, but he claims that he didn't have anything to smoke. Yeah, sure. :P

I personally don't think that marijuana should be illegal at all in small amounts, so I think it's overkill to take pictures of the people at Farrand Field and post them on a website to be identified.

Lali, I think the University administration has tried to break up the group before, but there are thousands of people there and only so many campus cops. The city officers can't all be there either, because they have other things to do. This is an annual event and it just keeps getting bigger. Last year they put the sprinklers on at 4:20 to try to deter people from smoking there, but it didn't really work.

I guess I feel that there are bigger fish to fry, and as far as I know the crowd at Farrand Field has never gotten too rowdy.

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 05 May , 2006 7:54 am
Troubadour of Ithilien

Elfshadow wrote:
as far as I know the crowd at Farrand Field has never gotten too rowdy.
Well, they wouldn't would they, unless it was over a fight for the last Kit Kat!

Also found on Facebook - hunt me down via the MetaTORC group.

[ img ]

I just adore the concept of washing Dirty Horseboys!

Profile Quote
The OG Borry
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 05 May , 2006 8:40 am
The best things in life are not things

Location: here....<_< yeah here thats Ceres, CA for you stalkers

73 IDed people, from what came up, may have been updated or something. Thats what $3650? Some nice change.

Anyways, no they didnt do it right. Should have had them arrested when they came out of the park if they were high. The picture and rat system seems kinda low to me.
So i agreeably agree with nothing :)
Borry

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 10 May , 2006 12:47 am

Very low. I mean, this isn't even a real crime since real crimes have victims.

Rat out your fellow citizen? Be a good citizen for Big Brother. Blurgh! :sick: :thumbsdown

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject: Re: Speaking of over-stepping...
Posted: Wed 10 May , 2006 1:37 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

Riverthalos wrote:
This tradition is particularily popular on college campuses, and the CU student population is brazen enough to go out and get high on the lawn. The campus administration and the campus police aren't too happy about this. This year, they closed the field and then photographed all the students who were now trespassing.
I guess a sign saying Keep Off The Grass would have been confusing.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
EdaintheRanger
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 22 May , 2006 12:28 am
The Red Fox

Gah! I hate this kind of policing, it's as bad as speed cameras and particularly vindictive traffic wardens/litter wardens.

We need courage, faith and Chocolate Cake.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium”
Jump to: