board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Canada's Response to 9/11 - the forgotten war

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]
Sunsilver
Post subject: Canada's Response to 9/11 - the forgotten war
Posted: Sat 20 May , 2006 11:36 am

There has been endless debate here and on TORC about the U.S. involvement in Iraq.

I spoke to an e-friend in the States not long ago, and he was upset that Canada was one of the countries which refused to help out in Iraq. I informed him there was another war going on in Afghanistan, and we were involved in that. Unfortunately, after years of cutbacks to the military, Canada does not have the resources to get involved in a second conflict.

So, for those of you who may have forgotten, check out this link, and the related links posted on the same page:

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/s ... e=&no_ads=

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/s ... TopStories

Parliament passed a motion this week to extend the Canadian involvement for another 2 years. And they have my full support, in case you're wondering.

When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose[/size]

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 20 May , 2006 4:06 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

I knew the Canadians were in Afghanistan. The American media may be responsible for skating over the help that America has received. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the Afghanis get the peace they deserve but as with Iraq there are meddling neighbours who have too great an interest in instability.

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
TWT
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 27 May , 2006 2:13 pm
Wembley bound

You should have heard the uproar here in Canada when the PM decided not to get involved in Iraq. A year after the decision I would dare anyone to find a dozen people in any town who still supported the idea. I think people here quickly saw it wasn't a war for peace and didn't want their soldiers fighting for a foriegn cause.

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 01 Jun , 2006 5:46 am
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

I was going to say, I thought Canada was involved. I mean weren't the first citizens to get killed over there accidentally shot by American soldiers? Always happy to help out a friend!

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium”
Jump to: