board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Canadian counter-terrorist units stops massive attack!

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 21 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
TWT
Post subject: Canadian counter-terrorist units stops massive attack!
Posted: Sat 03 Jun , 2006 3:09 pm
Wembley bound

Well I'm glad they were able to stop this. This could have happend near where I live or work.

CLICK

I'm very happy to see that we've got some competent people looking out for the public's safety.

Remember folks, Jack Bauer is Canadian. :D

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 03 Jun , 2006 3:35 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

So are Capt. Kirk, Scotty, Neo and Trinity.

But remember, we are talking Canada here, so that three tone of NH2NO3 might have caused damage upwards of twenty dollars. Canadian.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
TWT
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 03 Jun , 2006 7:04 pm
Wembley bound

Hey, by the way the markets are moving its said that the Canadian Dollar will equal the USD by some time next year. Canadian buisness is doing great right now and it helps that the US is screwing up at every turn.

Profile Quote
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 04 Jun , 2006 12:42 am
His Rosyness

Don't rule out the possibility that this is part of the fearmongering in the buildup to another false terror attack that will kick off war with Iran.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 04 Jun , 2006 1:01 am
bioalchemist

:scratch: I thought it was a home-grown thing...and since when did Canada have any interest in participating in pre-emptive wars?

**checks BBC

Okay, I guess I should have read past the Oklahoma City comparisons. Looks like life just got that much more interesting for our Canadian friends.

I think you guys need to breath a great big sigh of relief and pat your Mounties on the back.

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 04 Jun , 2006 2:16 am
Takoyaki is love

Riverthalos wrote:
:scratch: I thought it was a home-grown thing...and since when did Canada have any interest in participating in pre-emptive wars?
Since we got our new Prime Minister. :(

Edit: I would also like to add I am not very impressed with CTV as they thought it would be important to list each of the arrestees places of residence down to the street. Let the hounding of those families begin. :roll:

Also, Iavas I am so sorry but I truly and honestly feel that this is not an "arranged" situation although I kind of felt that way when i initially heard about this. It's too convenient. :(

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Lord_Morningstar
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 04 Jun , 2006 3:47 am

We had a similiar thing a while back - a series of raids, explosives found, people arrested, ect. Interestingly, Australia's first home-grown terrorist has recently been outed - a Brisbane schoolteacher in possession of homemade bombs and books praising Osama Bin Laden.

As for Canada, I never actually suspected that it would be the victim of a home-soil terrorist attack. Goes to show the support for or opposition to the Iraq War doesn't really matter as far as terrorism goes.

[Space for Rent]

Profile Quote
Lurker
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 04 Jun , 2006 5:46 am

You know what, when we heard this both wife and I thought this has something to do with the TTC strike last Monday. Remember the TTC went on strike without notice and nobody can give us a straight answer as to why they went on strike. I told my wife, well I guess the RCMP used the strike to check the subway system, they just didn't tell us. The drivers were even clueless as to why they went on strike, some were even picking up passengers in front of our apartment at 6:00 am when the strike was called 5:00 am, then it was back in operation at 5:00 pm but the subway didn't open until 10:00 pm. The court ruled it as illegal strike in the morning and yet it took them the whole day to resolve it then after a few days, they rounded up the terrorists, right? ;) Just something to think about. :)

One of the place they raided was "Malvern" in Toronto, if you grew up in Toronto like me this is one place you don't want to be after the sun goes down. This place is very notorious for its gang activity/violence. Bus drivers even get scared driving in this area. Remember the TTC driver who got shot because he tried to pick up kids at the bus stop? It was in Malvern.

Caution...You are entering the NO SPIN ZONE.

Profile Quote
Lurker
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 04 Jun , 2006 5:56 am

Riverthalos wrote:
Okay, I guess I should have read past the Oklahoma City comparisons. Looks like life just got that much more interesting for our Canadian friends.

I think you guys need to breath a great big sigh of relief and pat your Mounties on the back.
Yup. That is so true, River. Like my dad in law always says, the Mounties are one the best in the world with regards to training and investigations. In fact, I think he said they are thinking about getting recruits who joined the military experience, similar to the fire dept. One of my wife's cousins want to be a firefighter and was told it would be easier for him to get in the fire dept. if he had a stint with the military first.

Profile Quote
Lurker
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 04 Jun , 2006 6:09 am

Iavas_Saar wrote:
Don't rule out the possibility that this is part of the fearmongering in the buildup to another false terror attack that will kick off war with Iran.
I agree with Wilma, this is not an "arranged situation". They wouldn't go through the trouble of putting the names and addresses of these people on TV, (In fact, not only CTV, Wilma, I saw their names/age/address on BBC and CBC as well.) putting snipers, bomb snipping dogs, journalists going through three check points at the court houses just to stage a charade.

I was surprised as well that they put the names and address on TV but I guess this is similar to those criminals getting arrested for crimes wherein their picture and address are also annouced on TV. They are treating this as a crime report as well, no special treatment whatsover.

Profile Quote
Lurker
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 04 Jun , 2006 6:16 am

TWT wrote:
Hey, by the way the markets are moving its said that the Canadian Dollar will equal the USD by some time next year. Canadian buisness is doing great right now and it helps that the US is screwing up at every turn.

You'll never know, this might be Bush and Harper's move to make "one currency" for the rest of North America like the Euro. :)

I don't know if businesses are indeed doing great but a strong Canadian dollar has taken a toll on the manufacturing and tourism sector.

Profile Quote
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 04 Jun , 2006 7:07 am
His Rosyness

Okay so it looks like there is more to this than the standard terror threat used against the American people. No doubt some real terrorists will emerge from all this world turmoil, and that only helps the fearmongers.

Let me make you all aware that Israel has warned that Iran might commit a terrorist attack during the World Cup. If that occurs (lets hope it doesn't), ask yourself who benefits most.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
TWT
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 04 Jun , 2006 3:24 pm
Wembley bound

Lurker wrote:
TWT wrote:

I don't know if businesses are indeed doing great but a strong Canadian dollar has taken a toll on the manufacturing and tourism sector.
I meant its helped our economy in general. I know the tourism sector has taken a bit of a blow. I believe its been about 30 years now since our dollar was more expensive than the USD.

I know all about fearmongering. This is now what this is. Canada still hasn't switched completely over to the Harper government. Harper is very pro-american despite what he tries to convice the public of.

To demonstrate to our suthern neighbours just how much the Canadian public tends to dislike the current U.S. government the Liberals in their smear campaign against Harper showed the public that Harper liked Bush. That was the smear campaign: Harper is pro-American. Guess what, it almost worked. Harper's government in the election did not earn one riding in any major Canadian city. He won nonetheless and now we have a Prime Minister, who, unlike our previous PM likes to suck up to Bush and his government.

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 04 Jun , 2006 3:37 pm

How did you guys do this without a USAP Act? Oh, sorry, that's a question for the other forum. People here are much more sensible about that piece of crap.

Given the way our economy is going, the Canadian dollar may well be the hard currency of North America soon. I'd say by no later than 2020. We're screwing ourselves up down here.

This terrorist attack ... good that your people caught it, but I am forced to marvel at how coincidental it was.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 04 Jun , 2006 6:45 pm
His Rosyness

RCMP behind bomb material
Quote:
The delivery of three tonnes of ammonium nitrate to a group suspected of plotting terrorist attacks in southern Ontario was part of an undercover police sting operation, the Toronto Star has learned.
Possibility of entrapment?

The seized items:

[ img ]

Is there anything suspicious here?

Concurrently in the UK another man was a victim of the new 'shoot first, ask questions later' policy, and like the Brazlian chap was not doing anything suspicious at the time.

"No warning" before UK police shot terror suspect
Quote:
Controversy is growing over a high profile raid by British anti-terrorist police on Friday in which a suspect was shot. Some 250 police officers took part in the raid after getting intelligence reports that chemical or biological weapons were being prepared in an East London home.

But no such arms have been found and lawyers for the shot man say he was fired on without warning. A solicitor said: "He was in his pyjamas, obviously unarmed, empty handed. As he came down the stairs, police rounded a corner, came up the stairs and shot him, in the chest, immediately. There was no warning and he wants to stress that no warning was given, contrary to what's been said he wasn't asked to freeze. He wasn't given any warning, he didn't know the people in his house were police officers until after he was shot."
So in this day and age if we are merely suspected of something, without proof, we can be shot by the police without warning.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
oldtoby
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 04 Jun , 2006 7:16 pm
Cuddly Studmuffin

Quote:
Not if the items are looked at individually, as a group looks awfully like the beginings of a bomb to me. The most suspicious being the cell phone, which looks to have been rewired somehow.

Police do undercover stings all the time I would assume, I reckon if they went too far the defendants lawyers will make the case.

Profile Quote
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 05 Jun , 2006 2:15 am
His Rosyness

oldtoby wrote:
Quote:
Not if the items are looked at individually, as a group looks awfully like the beginings of a bomb to me. The most suspicious being the cell phone, which looks to have been rewired somehow.
I don't think any wires are connected to the cell phone.. it looks like the wires have just been laid close to it.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
oldtoby
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 05 Jun , 2006 2:39 am
Cuddly Studmuffin

Well regardless they had what? 3 tons of fertilizer? Were any of them farmers? Is there another legitimate reason for them to have that much? Sting or not, whatever they were doing looks suspicious to me.

My Dad has a multimeter, wires and soldering pencil for his TV repair business and some fertilizer for his garden, my sister has a cell phone and I am sure there is a lunch pail and batterys in the house somewhere, the only thing he doesnt have is a gun, so yes I suppose I will grant you that theoretically all that stuff could be totally unrelated and everything a coincidence. I am just going to have to trust that the Canadian authorities were acting within the bounds of legality.

Profile Quote
vison
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 05 Jun , 2006 3:51 am
Best friends forever

I think they were, OldToby.

The Canadian dollar IS stronger, but the main reason it is nearing par with the US dollar is that the US dollar is weaker. It is at least 30% weaker than it was three years ago.

We sell our crop in American dollars and this year the prices were much higher simply because the foreign buyers could buy more: the yuan and the ruble bought a hell of a lot more USD than they did last year. However the higher USD prices didn't translate into much higher CND prices. I think fondly of October 2002 when I cashed cheques in USD at an exchange rate of 1.57. Last week I got a very good rate at 1.092. In February I got 1.1435.

It is also very frustrating to see the official exchange rate and know that I will pay a 2% premium, either way, since I'm not a government.

For us, it's a trade-off. The weaker USD gives foreign buyers a stronger position and that translates into higher USD prices for us, so we come out about even. $10,000 USD in October of 2002 meant $15,700 CDN. But $10,000 USD last week meant only $10,920 CDN. Which sucked except in fact we got $15,000 USD for what we got $10,000 for in the past, and $15,000 USD last week was $16,380 CDN.

It would really truly suck though if we kept getting the same USD prices as 2002.

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 05 Jun , 2006 6:31 am
Takoyaki is love

17 people can get entraped? Also in the caption for that picture they note that at least the bag of fertilizer was added to to the table for display purposes. I m pretty confident that picture was not from an actual raid.

Also, I would like to say Iavas, Canada is not like the US. We do not jump to conclusions and knee jerk reactions and fear mongering. I don't know if anyone remembers but Canada was against the War in Iraq because Canadians knew that Iraq had nothting to with Sept 11 or had WMD or whatever made up reason was given to the public. As in, the fear mongering from the US (our closest and only neighbour), did not work on us then, and I hope it does not work on us now. When US was having benefit concerts and all that for the victims of 9/11 Canada had a benefit concert for those in Afghanistan since they were about to be attacked!!

Also, frankly we can't afford a knee jerk reaction or some pre emptive war since we don't have the military for that. I will say Harper is pretty slick but I never fell for anything he has done as of yet. (Didn't anyone see my kind of biased description of him in the Canadian politics thread?) Also Harper is in a minority government not a majority.

A great deal also of what I have heard is that this was people born and/or raised in Canada. One of the guys was from Trinidad for goodness sakes!! How one can connect a person from Trinidad participating in an
attempt on an attack in Canada to Iran god only knows. :roll: One Canadian paper printed a misleading article about Iran and everyone went after them for it.

Also Canada did not shoot a suspect without any warning I do not understand why you mention the UK when we are talking about Canada here. :scratch:

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 21 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: