The Last Homely Site on the Web

Happy Secession Day

Post Reply   Page 1 of 4  [ 70 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 3 4 »
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Post subject: Happy Secession Day
Posted: Tue 04 Jul , 2006 10:26 pm

Enjoy the fireworks.

A rebellion was launched over a small tax for tea. Today we have many large taxes.

A rebellion was fought over our rights, and now we have the USAP Act.

A rebellion was won against foreign rule, and now we rule foreign countries.

Look how far we've come.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 04 Jul , 2006 11:35 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

Hope you learned.

I was very brave today. I went outside and didn't get shot.

:Q

[ img ]

Profile Quote
vison
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 05 Jul , 2006 12:26 am
Best friends forever

Happy 4th of July, just the same C_G. The US might not be perfect, but it sure as hell beats the crap out of most places.

Just keep that thought in mind, eh?

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 05 Jul , 2006 1:10 am

Lidless - isn't it nice that our 2nd amendment right to defend ourselves reduces your likelihood of getting shot?

Vison - yes, but for how long? Saying there are worse places is only half the story. There are 3rd world nations in South America that are far more developed than 4th world nations in Africa. As I see the direction that our country is going, I grow ever more suspicious of that handbasket that's carrying us.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
vison
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 05 Jul , 2006 3:05 am
Best friends forever

Well, C_G, you and I are not going to get into another affray over what your 2nd amendment says and what it doesn't say.

And I think the US is pretty safe from being a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th-world-type nation any time soon. I think it will last your time and your child's time at least. Or at least I hope so, since I live so near our nations actually touch? When the elephant turns over, the mouse better be pretty alert. :D

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 05 Jul , 2006 2:08 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

I think you deserve to give yourselves an annual holiday for beating the Brits, it was quite an achievement :P

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 05 Jul , 2006 4:19 pm

vison wrote:
The US might not be perfect, but it sure as hell beats the crap out of most places.
Iraq being the latest victim.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 05 Jul , 2006 4:28 pm
Pure Kitsch Flavor

:LMAO: :blackeye: :LMAO:

Profile Quote
TWT
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 05 Jul , 2006 4:29 pm
Wembley bound

:LMAO: :damnfunny:

Fuck, you're sharp Steve!

Profile Quote
vison
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 05 Jul , 2006 4:30 pm
Best friends forever

Yes, indeed you are sharp. :D And the other thing is, I meant it both ways. It was a double entendre, and you seem to be the only one who caught it!!!

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 05 Jul , 2006 4:33 pm

:love: x :love:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Onizuka Eikichi
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 06 Jul , 2006 1:31 am

vison wrote:
...but it sure as hell beats the crap out of most places.
That's kind of funny. It literally does beat the crap out of most other places. LOLLERSKATES.

I'm sorry. :)

Edit: I wrote that before reading the rest of the thread. It seems there are other clever folk around here. ;)

冬ながら
空より花の
散り来るは
雲のあなたに
春にやあるらん

Profile Quote
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 06 Jul , 2006 7:31 am
Tricksy Elf!

All hail Bush, the Great Leader..... (or maybe his son...... :devil: )

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Post subject: Re: Happy Secession Day
Posted: Sun 05 Jul , 2009 4:24 am

You're Not the Boss of Me!
Larken Rose wrote:
As you probably are aware, this Saturday is July 4th, Independence Day. As you may also know, on the afternoon of this July 4th, I'll be one of four speakers at Independence Mall, in downtown Philadelphia, at the "Tea Party" event there. My topic will be "You're Not the Boss of Me!" and this article is a sort of introduction to that rant.

The Declaration of Independence basically amounted to a bunch of guys telling their king, "You're not the boss of us anymore." The Declaration was an act of treason, written by a bunch of tax cheats and lawbreakers. It wasn't merely some people whining or petitioning the government to do something different. In fact, the Declaration describes how they had already tried that, and it hadn't worked. So they resorted to open disobedience. And it wasn't just one protest or demonstration, to make a point or try to convince their masters to change; it was a declaration that they were completely and permanently denying the right of the standing regime to rule them at all, ever again. And that's a pretty darn radical thing to do.

For all the parades, fireworks, picnics, and other events which will happen on July 4th to celebrate "Independence Day," how many Americans today do you think are capable of even contemplating the possibility of engaging in "illegal" resistance against "authority"? Not many.
The Fourth of July Is a Celebration of Agitation
Jim Hightower wrote:
Are you an agitator? You know, one of those people who won't leave well enough alone, who's always questioning authority and trying to stir things up.

If so, the Powers That Be detest you — you ... you ... "agitator!" They spit the term out as a pejorative to brand anyone who dares to challenge the established order. "Oh," they scoff, "our people didn't mind living next to that toxic waste dump until those environmental agitators got them upset." Corporate chieftains routinely wail that "our workers were perfectly happy until those union agitators started messing with their minds."

In each case, the message is that America would be a fine country if only we could get rid of those pesky troublemakers who get the hoi polloi agitated about one thing or another.

Bovine excrement. Were it not for agitators, we wouldn't even have an America. The Fourth of July would be just another hot day, we'd be singing "God Save the Queen," and our government officials would be wearing white-powdered wigs.

Agitators created America, and it's their feisty spirit and outright rebelliousness that we celebrate on our national holiday. I don't merely refer to the Founders, either. Thomas Jefferson, George Washington, James Madison, Ben Franklin and the rest certainly were derring-do agitators when they wrote the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution and the Bill of Rights, creating the framework for a democratic republic. But they didn't actually create much democracy. In the first presidential election, only 4 percent of the people were even eligible to vote. No women allowed, no African Americans, no American Indians and no one who was landless.

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Sun 05 Jul , 2009 10:38 am

This must explain the announcement of Alaska Governor Sarah Palin timed to coincide with our Fourth of July festivities. . She is seceding from the job she was elected to do 18 months before the term is up? Is every act of political agitation today the same as rebellion against a foreign dictatorial power thousands of miles away? Does our July 4th independence then become the convenient excuse to rationalize every act of political lunacy even though it is against our own people, our own government and our own nation? Sarah Palin and every other modern wingnut who misuses history would be proud.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Posted: Mon 06 Jul , 2009 3:09 pm
A song outlasts a dynasty.

C_G, you don't seem to like the America you live in very much. That's just a vibe I'm getting from this thread...

So can I ask: Why do you live there?

Sleep is a death; Oh, make me try by sleeping what it is to die.

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Mon 06 Jul , 2009 3:13 pm
Aspiring to heresy

That was funny - I read most of the thread thinking it had just been posted. I didn't notice the 2006 date until more than halfway down the page :blackeye:

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Post subject: Re:
Posted: Mon 06 Jul , 2009 3:20 pm
Daydream Believer

ToshoftheWuffingas wrote:
I think you deserve to give yourselves an annual holiday for beating the Brits, it was quite an achievement :P

One can only take so much spotted dick.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Posted: Mon 06 Jul , 2009 4:15 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

Ah, the number of times I have been told that!

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Posted: Mon 06 Jul , 2009 4:52 pm
A song outlasts a dynasty.

@Jude, I didn't notice it at all! :damnfunny:

Sleep is a death; Oh, make me try by sleeping what it is to die.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 4  [ 70 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page 1 2 3 4 »
Jump to: