Body image

Post Reply   Page 8 of 8  [ 147 posts ]
Jump to page « 14 5 6 7 8
vison
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 20 Mar , 2005 4:28 pm
Best friends forever

Get a room, you guys...................Griff and Faramond, I mean. :D

Body image is very weird, is it not? When I was younger, judging by the photo album, I had a very nice shape indeed. And yet, I have ALWAYS felt the same about my shape: inadequate. Why?

Now, in my 60's, you would think it wouldn't matter. Well, I gots news fer youse guys: it still does. I know a lady who's 80 and she's still worrying about losing that 'last five pounds'. It's absurd, but it's reality.

There seems to be no end of human folly surrounding the body. We alter it with surgery and tattooes and starvation, we make necks longer with layers of rings, we dye our hair and paint our nails and exercise ourselves into exhaustion. In the rich west we fight obesity. We still eat as if we had to work in the fields all day, and not only that, we have the entire world's produce laid out at the banquet. We can have meat every day, and many people do.

I used to like to wear perfume, as a matter of fact I liked "Joy". But I'm violently allergic to perfumes and it gets worse as I get older. An evening at the ballet, which I adore, is out of the question now because everyone is drenched in scent. Airplanes! They should be like hospitals and have a "no perfume" rule. Essential oils are no better, at least not for me. A friend brought me a vial of Jasmine from Hong Kong and I can't open it without choking up and I LOVE Jasmine. I don't like Lavender much, but it doesn't bother me, so I have Lavender sachets in my closet.

I use a honey-scented soap now and again, honey being one of the nice smells of the world that I can actually bear on my skin. Plain old Ivory soap is fine, and I like the smell. But it's very very hard to find unscented toiletries, such as deodorant and hand cream, etc.

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 20 Mar , 2005 7:30 pm
Troubadour of Ithilien

Pippin4242 wrote:
You guys think you've got problems! (you don't, I've seen photos :P). At least you're the same size all over... My top half is an eight and my arse is a twelve. It's okay but annoying until I want to buy a dress. I feel like a big triangle! :Q
You're not looking close enough at the photos. :P Welcome to the pear-shaped club. :hug: I filled out to a ten on top when I was about 21. But my hips have been a 12 since I turned fourteen. And my cup-size is too pathetic to type out. If it's any comfort, you do start to fret less about it in the hands of a good bloke - the decent ones don't care how much of your dresses you do or don't fill.

Last edited by Leoba on Mon 21 Mar , 2005 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Also found on Facebook - hunt me down via the MetaTORC group.

[ img ]

I just adore the concept of washing Dirty Horseboys!

Profile Quote
Jaeniver
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 20 Mar , 2005 7:47 pm
I can't count but I'm cute

Today i didn't feel half bad! i wore a skirt and stiletto's and thought Hey! i can pull this of! untill i nearly tripped over my own shoes :P

I even thought the legs looked better then usual. :scratch must have been the light ;)

Actually i had a friend on the phone today who was comlaining about her pear-shaped body. I personally think she's is gorgeous and am highly jealous of her but she hates how her upper body is three times small then her hip size. Where am I highly jealous of her hip size!

we'll never be content with our own body i fear. is there no hope?

However like leoba said having someone there to make you feel confident sure does help. I no longer mind baring my legs as much as i used to or exposing my feet. never thought i could without hearing nasty comments and here is my darling even touching them! Made me feel more ease knowing he didn't mind :)

So give me your forever.
Please your forever.
Not a day less will do
From you

~Other half of the Menacing Glare Duo~ partner-in-crime out to confuse the world!

Profile Quote
tolkienpurist
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 20 Mar , 2005 9:13 pm
Unlabeled

Are we allowed to make body-positive posts on this thread? ;)

A couple weeks ago, with the endorphins running high after a gym workout, I wrote this for myself. It seems on point.

- TP

I just really am so truly 100% comfortable with my body, and I appreciate that even more when I'm working out. I like being female. I like being short, being able to squeeze through places, being able to curl up tightly, not taking up a lot of room. Similarly, give or take a couple pounds, I like my weight. I don't think I'd want to lose more than five pounds from where I am now. Maybe less at this point. Aside from my eyes (severely myopic) and my right foot (never recovered full feeling after a surgery eleven years ago), I really wouldn't change anything - I don't count either of these because they are health-related (I still have an abnormal vein growth near my right ankle). Nothing. Not height, weight, race, size, breast size, shoe size, anything. This isn't to say that I think that the way I am in each of these things is "best" or "ideal". Far from. It's just me, and I like me.

Although liking one's body isn't particularly "subversive", there is a satisfaction in it that I think is tied to the common notions in American society that women are always dissatisfied with their bodies, they always want to be thinner/better-endowed, taller, "prettier", more striking, darker, lighter, whatever. It's to the point where it feels like you should want something to be different about your body. Sorry Hollywood, sorry Cosmopolitan, sorry straight guys who like to pick a certain type of woman to ogle at, and sorry jealous-bitch-women who like to say that slender females aren't "real women". I am me, I like me, and you can't fucking take that away. Go find someone else to send to the plastic surgeon (or to gain weight and be a "real woman", as the case may be). Woohoo.

Profile Quote
Jaeniver
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 21 Mar , 2005 10:17 am
I can't count but I'm cute

Bravo TP! your post made my day even brighter! :D it's good to see that people still are able to be happy and comfortable with their own bodies. And i wish that one day i'll feel like you described in your post and stop looking at the downsides although they make me who I am.

so yes i think we can complain but also praise ourselves. ;)

So give me your forever.
Please your forever.
Not a day less will do
From you

~Other half of the Menacing Glare Duo~ partner-in-crime out to confuse the world!

Profile Quote
Eltirwen
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 24 Mar , 2005 12:43 am
Bored Silly

I'm pretty happy with my own body. I've grown used to not looking like a model, and I'm actually quite proud of my pale skin. I've got a figure that was idolized in the Renaissance. I'm carrying a few extra pounds, but I've lost 23 since January and am working on the rest.

So what is my body image issue? Stretch marks. I have them from halfway down my calves, to halfway up my upper arms. I grew six inches in 8 months when I was 12, and I've had these ugly red marks ever since. I recently got a cocoa butter lotion to put on them, and hopefully that will help, but I hate wearing anything sleeveless or that shows my legs. It's quite annoying actually, being afraid to show my own body.

Searching for my sanity...

"A life lived in fear is a life half lived" - Strictly Ballroom

Profile Quote
oldtoby
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 24 Mar , 2005 12:49 am
Cuddly Studmuffin

Quote:
I've grown used to not looking like a model, and I'm actually quite proud of my pale skin.
Well as a guy I can say pale can be very fetching. :D Theres a girl in my class with very red hair and very fair skin... all I got to say is...Yowza!! <drool>

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 8 of 8  [ 147 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 14 5 6 7 8
Jump to: