board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Lent? (and stuff)

Post Reply   Page 5 of 6  [ 108 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 13 Feb , 2005 10:56 pm

Now I'm not sure whether you guys are fighting or discussing, so forgive me for trying to be the happy girl scout and trying to solve things:P If things aren't as bad as I think they are then just ignore this post. I'm just worried to see you arguing so fiercely...

I think I can understand both of you here. While I didn't particularly appreciate your joke, Din, I also think you could have been less aggressive, Hobby.

How about you both just accept that neither of you had the intention of hurting the other's feelings? Neither of you is Wrong with a capital W. I'm wondering what you're trying to achieve.

If I may guess, I think that Hobby would appreciate Din acknowledging that this thread might not have been the best place for a joke about Christian persecutions. Din, if someone started a thread about Jewish traditions, I wouldn't come in with a joke about how the Holocaust might not have been such a bad idea, because Orthodox Jews are so darn difficult to get along with. Or comment in a Pagan thread that it's a shame that the Church didn't manage to destroy Paganism completely. It's just...you know. It's a sensitive thing. Say that at a moot and I'll laugh and stick my tongue out at you and probably answer with something equally nasty, and we can both laugh but in this thread it's just hurtful. Even though I know you didn't mean it to be.

On the other hand, Din would probably appreciate it if Hobby understood that he didn't mean harm, and didn't try and make him admit that he did. Hobby, he said he meant it as a joke. Okay, it wasn't in tune with the atmosphere of growth and lenten reflection this thread was supposed to be , but is that a reason to go on and on about it. In fact, in the very spirit of Lent, shouldn't we be gentle, understanding, tolerant?
A year or two ago I started telling my friends about things that made me feel uncomfortable. "Can you please try and not say "Jesus f****** Christ" around me...cause it hurts my feelings." Guess what...people listened and tried. It's a two-way thing. My request must be polite and trusting for their reaction to be honest and willing.

So I don't know. I feel like an ass trying to play peacemaking teacher but I gotta take a stand here. I've been afraid to look into this thread for a week! Either you just both apologise to each other or something...or...I don't know. Right now I think you're arguing to prove that you both had a right to be angry. Well...yes, you did. But stay angry any longer and you both just look silly. This really isn't worth you guys losing respect for each other.

[ img ]
Help me go to the North Pole! by Magic Madzik, on Flickr

TRYING TO GET TO THE NORTH POLE! You can help by voting: http://www.blogyourwaytothenorthpole.com/entries/244

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 14 Feb , 2005 12:34 am
WYSIWYG

I suggest we nominate Ro for the next peace nobel prize! :) :hug:
(Can ordinary people suggest other ordinary people?)

Ro, I wasn't trying to make Din admit he meant harm, sorry if it came across like that - I believe him he didn't mean harm! I just wanted to make him see what exactly I found harmful in spite of that.
And I must say, after all my trying - you've nailed it!
But, please, I don't want to go on explaining what I meant and why I wasn't as polite as I would have wished I could have been - I've said it all before! :)

So, I'm not fighting - in fact, I moved on with the discussion, trying to challenge what lidless said, in good Manwe-ist tradition. :P
(And lidless's counter-arguments were in good lidless-ist tradition. :P
Although I think the pic more likely shows Melkor, imprisoned in the void! ;) )

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 14 Feb , 2005 1:24 am

Well...thank heavens for that...

Sorry for butting in...I just...you know.

I'll leave you two to it now;)

*scampers off*

[ img ]

TRYING TO GET TO THE NORTH POLE! You can help by voting: http://www.blogyourwaytothenorthpole.com/entries/244

Profile Quote
Sunsilver
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 14 Feb , 2005 2:35 am

:grouphug: Isn't she sweet?? :sunny:

Profile Quote
laureanna
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 14 Feb , 2005 7:03 am
Triathlete

OK, there is a little known clause in the whole Lenten thing that says, technically, that the 40 days of Lent don't include Sundays. So I'm here, for a short peek, on Sunday nite. If I'm wrong, don't tell me; I need a little fix today. I need to escape. There are too many fragile people around me in RL, and I need to go away, mentally, for a few hours and not think about whether they will still be alive tomorrow or next week. I'd much rather read posts by people I know here, so I can escape into their small, solvable problems. And laugh at the funny posts. And feel a sense of goodness and beauty in the world. See you next Sunday. :neutral:

Well, I'm back.

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 14 Feb , 2005 11:33 am

Laureanna, hey! Good luck with keeping that resolution, you're doing well so far it seems...

:hug:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 14 Feb , 2005 5:09 pm
WYSIWYG

Sundays are not included? Wow, I didn't know that!

Some more happy info for lent keepers: chocolate is officially allowed during fasting periods.

The story I heard sometime ago:
Back in the time when cacao was just being introduced to Europe the pope was given a sample to try to determine whether it would be ok during fasting periods. Chocolate back in those times had nothing to do with milk and sugar, so it was just bitter! And so it got ok'ed. :D

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
jewelsong
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 21 Feb , 2005 1:57 am
Just keep singin'!

I gave up swearing for Lent. Since I swear like a sailor, it has been....difficult. I imagined that I would be thinking of all sorts of clever alternative sayings, but so far I find that I've just been....quieter. It has been interesting, to say the least. And although I have not been completely successful, I AM thinking a bit more before I speak. Which is always a good thing! :oops:

I find Lent can be a time for quiet reflection...but I also find that I need to actively make the time. And I don't always do so well with that...

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 21 Feb , 2005 2:21 am
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

Just out of curiosity, exactly which words did you give up?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Teremia
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 21 Feb , 2005 4:46 am
Reads while walking

I'm impressed by anybody giving up swearing for Lent, but here's the most remarkable thing of that sort I've known:

I know someone who gave up saying anything bad about anybody -- for a whole year! Made him rather dull company, but I was full of admiration.

:D

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 21 Feb , 2005 2:23 pm

You know the good thing...is while it can be argued that one shouldn't give up something bad JUST for Lent, having that motivation for so long often breaks a bad habit. :) I wouldn't be surprised if you found yourself swearing a lot less once Lent was over, Jewelsong!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
jewelsong
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 21 Feb , 2005 2:51 pm
Just keep singin'!

TheLidlessEyes wrote:
Just out of curiosity, exactly which words did you give up?
Well, you can read all about it in my LJ post where I list the most offending terms: http://www.livejournal.com/users/jewelsong/84498.html

This LJ entry got more replies than most...some along the lines of *snort*. Heh. My foul mouth is well-known, I suppose. *sigh* :oops:

However, I do think it is worth a try...at least for the discipline. I figure if Jesus could hang on a cross for 9 hours in agony, I can control a few words coming out of my mouth.

And Rodia is likely right; I will swear much less, even when Lent is over. I hope. That way, when I do let loose, it will have a much greater effect! :D

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 21 Feb , 2005 3:04 pm

jewelsong wrote:
I figure if Jesus could hang on a cross for 9 hours in agony, I can control a few words coming out of my mouth.
Well he had fewer swear words at his disposal.

"Me!!! Me!!! Oh me!!!"

[ img ]

Profile Quote
jewelsong
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 21 Feb , 2005 3:12 pm
Just keep singin'!

TheLidlessEyes wrote:

Well he had fewer swear words at his disposal.

"Me!!! Me!!! Oh me!!!"
It is a measure of how fried my brain is that it took me a full 10 seconds to "get" this.

But I suspect that the ancient Aramaic language had its share of colorful expressions. Whether Jesus used any of the words would be another discussion entirely. But calling the Pharisees things like "a brood of vipers" and "snakes" is hardly bland. I bet there were other sayings that simply did not make it into the Gospels...

Would make a great research project. "Swearing in ancient times..."

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 21 Feb , 2005 3:15 pm

"May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your arse."

[ img ]

Profile Quote
jewelsong
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 21 Feb , 2005 3:21 pm
Just keep singin'!

TheLidlessEyes wrote:
"May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your arse."
Lidless, I thought this forum was for serious discussion.

Everyone knows that the expression is "armpits" not "arse."

If you were serious, you would have remembered this.

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 21 Feb , 2005 3:23 pm

My apologies. I've never had much call to use it over the years.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 Feb , 2005 12:58 am
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

I see you were asking for substitues for curse words there in your live journal. Try 'feck' for 'fuck'. I don't know if you've ever heard of Father Ted, but on that sitcom the catholic priests always say feck since they're not supposed to swear. Sounds pretty funny to me!

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 Feb , 2005 8:19 pm

Eru, if you're using Father Ted as an example on how to be a good Catholic.... :Q

:P

Feck indeed. ;)

In Polish, the worst word is kurwa...which means whore...but if you stop yourself halfway through you can turn it into kurcze which means chicken.:P

In fact 'kurcze blade' which means 'pale chicken' is often used here.

Be creative.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 Feb , 2005 11:46 pm
Living in hope

"Fudge" can be a useful expression. Or even "fudge cookies." :whistle:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 5 of 6  [ 108 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Jump to: