The Last Homely Site on the Web

Iraq and the depersonalization of soldiers

Post Reply   Page 5 of 6  [ 106 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 30 Apr , 2007 11:23 pm
Takoyaki is love

Well I am sort of surprised Ara, you really think other countries just sit there and do nothing?

Until Afghanistan, the Canadian military has been doing peacekeeping all over the world. Not to mention food aid. I am usually not one for numbers and that sort of thing, but I am sure Ara if you look up stats on other countries you will find they do a lot too.

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Lord_Morningstar
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 01 May , 2007 2:06 am

Ara-anna wrote:
vison wrote:
A version of noblesse oblige is appropriate here:
Why? Honest question, why?

And if you don't want the US to be the 'worlds policmen' then do it yourselves. Pony up the troops to keep the peace in the entire world.
Agree that I don’t like the hypocrisy, but the simple problem is that very few countries have the wealth and power to project military force across the globe. In fact, on its own, I’d say that the U.S. is the only single country that can. The only other power which could help out Dafur would be the EU. I think it should step up and help, but if it doesn’t you can’t really point the finger at Canada or some other mid-level power.

[Space for Rent]

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 01 May , 2007 2:44 am

It's true, our enlightened peaceful Canadian neighbors have been involved in many more wars than we have. Before they finally disentangled their government from the British government, they got involved in every little war the British did.

Our peaceful enlightened neighbor has been in more wars than we have.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 01 May , 2007 9:08 am
Tricksy Elf!

Cenedril_Gildinaur wrote:
It's true, our enlightened peaceful Canadian neighbors have been involved in many more wars than we have. Before they finally disentangled their government from the British government, they got involved in every little war the British did.

Never fought a war against themselves though have they?

'When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from delusion, it is called Religion'.

~Robert M. Pirsig

Profile Quote
Jnyusa
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 01 May , 2007 1:49 pm
One of the Bronte Sisters

In how many countries does Canada have a military presence right now?

Jn

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
Epigraph on the tombstone of W.C. Fields.

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 01 May , 2007 2:37 pm
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

Dindraug wrote:
Cenedril_Gildinaur wrote:

Never fought a war against themselves though have they?
Don't see what that has to do with anything. :scratch: Our Civil War eventually made the US stronger as a nation, not weaker.

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 01 May , 2007 2:39 pm

Ugh. Can we drop this "my country is better than yours" line of bickering? It is pointless and besides any point there might be around here.

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 01 May , 2007 2:57 pm
Takoyaki is love

I checked Wikipedia and the Canadian military is involved in 37 operations currently. Now unfortunately wikipedia does give details about the operations.
Linky

*Off to google some more*

OK I found some places

Florida and Bahrain
Haiti
Bosnia Herzogovina
Golan Heights
Sinai
Sierra Leone
Demorcratic Republic of Congo
Sudan (2 operations)
Cyprus
Jeruselem (2 operations)
Iraq
Afghanistan (3 operations)

I got the info from this poster here

EDIT:
Do'h I missed the last 2 posts sorry.
I don't think it's about one country being better then the other. I think it seems Americans feellike they are doing all the work and everyone just sits back and criticizes as if they do nothing wrong. I never said my country did nothing wrong (murder in Somalia hello), but we also just don't do nothing. Other countries are not perfect either I heard France and other European countries were involved in whipping up the frenzy in Rwanda and well most nations of the world (including Canadians) did turn their back on that genocide (I guess it just wasn't in the interests of any of the more developed nations :( ) But I do think when any country starts to claim to "help" other countries for altruistic reasons it's usually not true. (Sorry but that is just the way I look at it.)

I do think though that US gets lot of pressure from other countries since well at least the media makes the US look like the paragon of human principles etc... (Like for example I really hate when the US media says that their president is the leader of the free world. Uh hello why didn't I get a vot?) When the world see the US going around saying things like that, they expect the US to back it up. (Keep in mind other countries say things like that but I usually don't fall for it.)

Last edited by Wilma on Tue 01 May , 2007 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 01 May , 2007 6:05 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

UK soldiers are fighting ferociously in Southern Afghanistan at the moment against the Taliban. Dead soldiers come back constantly. We don't even know yet if we are winning. The British armed forces did have to retrain the Afghan artillery to take pains to avoid civilians. They had acquired bad habits from their previous tutors.

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 01 May , 2007 6:23 pm

Quote:
I think it seems Americans feellike they are doing all the work and everyone just sits back and criticizes as if they do nothing wrong.
I can't recall hearing that position before Ara made those posts.

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 01 May , 2007 6:30 pm
Aspiring to heresy

I have.

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
tolkienpurist
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 01 May , 2007 6:36 pm
Unlabeled

"US look like the paragon of human principles etc..."

Speaking as a patriotic but realistic American, I feel that our country at its best is emblematic of some of the finest aspects of human nature, but at its worst exemplifies some of the least commendable aspects of human nature. The reality is that we have a wealth of resources and of power on a scale that most (and in some cases, all) other nations do not. So perhaps when we succeed in doing good, it is expected ("to whom much is given . . ."), but when we fail, there is the potential that we will fail spectacularly and that citizens of other nations will feel themselves entitled to comment on it.

It is perhaps a sign of both our prominence and egotism that we often do not even know enough to rebut their claims with references to their own failures, nor enough to respect them for their successes. Both are all too often not on the same scale as ours - both because of our relatively large physical size, and our disproportionate resources. So, the dialogue becomes excessively about us and our (real or perceived) transgressions.

I admit not to understanding the intense passion of some Americans when it comes to defending our country against the criticisms of others. Where we have done well, I feel we should be secure in our actions; where we have failed, others are as entitled to comment on it as we are.

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 01 May , 2007 6:37 pm
Takoyaki is love

I kind of thought Hal had the same sort of feelings. But I can imagine many Americans feel that way just from the vibes I get from the media.

But yeah, Canada constantly gets casualties from Afghanistan too. Also, Canada has a severely underfunded military. That is why we can't go to more countries to help and don't really have much of a say in anything. After WW II Canada had the 3rd largest military in the world. But basically since the 1960's The government has been scaling down military funding. ( Personally don't agree with that.) Now our poor troops usually do not have the best protection possible (retrofitted subs that have been mothballed for decades, (resulted in at least one death) 30 year old tanks, green camuflaugues uniforms instead of sand coloured uniforms etc...)

EDIT I missed the last 2 posts sorry.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 01 May , 2007 7:37 pm
Insolent Pup

So, have we settled the who has been in more wars pissing contest? Canada wins. I agree with yova, move on.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 01 May , 2007 7:56 pm
Daydream Believer

Ok totally off topic...twice no doubt.

How many troops did the Russians loose in their war with Afganistan?

http://www.enterstageright.com/archive/ ... asudan.htm I wonder if this could be the reason the US Admin is a bit hesitant to get troops involved in Sudan. I can easily see this become the beginning of WWIV.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 01 May , 2007 8:04 pm
Daydream Believer

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 01 May , 2007 8:43 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

Quote:
So, have we settled the who has been in more wars pissing contest? Canada wins

That honour must fall to us.
Quote:
green camuflaugues uniforms instead of sand coloured uniforms etc...)
The son of a friend of mine is an army reservist. While getting his training before going to Afghanistan he asked his dad to get him some camouflage uniform. You'll want desert camouflage, his dad said. Oh no, get me jungle camouflage. The Brits don't want to be mistaken for other nationalities.

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
vison
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 02 May , 2007 6:07 am
Best friends forever

The USA ranks nearly last in % of GNP devoted to foreign aid. The Netherlands ranks first.

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 02 May , 2007 9:32 am
Tricksy Elf!

Ara-anna wrote:
Ok totally off topic...twice no doubt.

How many troops did the Russians loose in their war with Afganistan?
Many.

The diffrance is, the SOVIETS got SOVIET troops killed in droves, not anybodyelses for their wars.

Quote:
I can easily see this become the beginning of WWIV.
Errr, I think we will need to have had WWIII first, but I guess we have missed that unless sombody had decalred it fought and won whilst the rest of the world were looking the other way.

'When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from delusion, it is called Religion'.

~Robert M. Pirsig

Profile Quote
eborr
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 02 May , 2007 12:22 pm

I work on a daily basis with military authorities from France and Southern Europe through to Africa, which may or may not give me a more enlightened view on these topics.

There are a number of issues to address in regard to the various topics raised.

1. US troops do have a higher level on indoctrination than most of the other NATO forces with whom I am in contact, they are less discriminating in terms of how they execute missions, to my mind less well trained, the consequence is that man for man they have lower levels of morale, and are less effective. They have excellent supply chains and usually good logistics.

2. The majority of US troops are firmly commited to the notion of being the armed forces of a democratic country, in other words the role of the armed forces is subject to the will of the body politic, which is really the only way it can be

A summary of these two points would read, that they are doing what they are supposed too, just by and large they are not very good at it.

3. We have the notion of the "just war" this is defined in the Geneva Convention (I believe) and certainly in the annals of the UN, there are several reasons why you cannot consider that the war against Iraq was a just war. This is the greatest indictment against GW Bush and T Blair, personally I hope they are both called to account before the appropriate legal authorities for their actions.

4. The losses sustained by the US troops and the troops of other nations and the civilians are the cause of great sadness, at least in the old days the leaders served in front of their own troops.

5. Just a last word on Freedom, what does this mean, Osama might argue, that it would be the Freedom for his country not to be polluted by western influence, for the IRA it was the freedom of the Catholic minority not to live in a predjudicial community, for the Sudanese they might argue it was the freedom to live in a wholly Islamic country, for the UK it's the Freedom of the very wealthy to have residense in our country where they are able to takee advantage of our society without paying any taxes, for the US it's the freedom to elect an idiot President. For the establsihment in all these places it's the freedom to self perpetutate their wealth,influence and power. I will sacrfice these freedoms for more equality, social justice and fairness.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 5 of 6  [ 106 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Jump to: