had another fatal derailment yesterday
3. Toronto Maple Leafs
4. PM Stephen Harper
5. Separatistes
6. Our historically horrible treatment of the First Nations
7. Political correctness
8. Fish farms in the ocean instead of on land
9. Conrad Black
10. Starbucks coffee (I know it's an American company, but they are EVERWHERE here)

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 26 Apr , 2007 2:39 am
Insolent Pup

Political correctness is a plague in any country. And the Toronto Maples Leafs? Here here, vison! Crapple Leafs.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Lurker
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 26 Apr , 2007 3:23 am

Go Leafs Go er Raptors Go!!! :p

1. People calling Quebec, "It's a totally different country out there! Don't get me started!" I just want to wring the neck of my colleague for saying that over and over again. To think the said person has never set foot in Quebec. :Q Believe me I've encountered a lot of people with the same opinion.

2. Sepratists

3. PM Stephen Harper

4. Monarchists :devil:

5. The horrible treatment of First Nations (up to now, not just historically)
6. electoral system

7. Immigrants need to get "Canadian Experience" just to get a job (I do immigration law on the side, I've "adviced" qualified immigrants moving south of the border) How can they get one if we don't hire them!!!

8. Brain drain (esp. doctors)

9. Air Canada (Worst service ever!!! $50.00 voucher is not going to pay for the time I wasted waiting for almost a day at the airport for the next plane to take me home, won't even pay for my overseas charges calling a worried Princess who was waiting at the airport. The reason we got delayed is "Oh, I'm sorry, we don't have enough planes!!!! :x )

10. Wait time at hospitals (I love the health care system, it's just they need more doctors and hospitals. Can you believe a few pregnant women in Calgary were flown south of the border to give birth!)

Last edited by Lurker on Thu 26 Apr , 2007 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Caution...You are entering the NO SPIN ZONE.

Profile Quote
vison
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 26 Apr , 2007 3:30 am
Best friends forever

Oh, I meant "historically" as in, up to now, don't worry. I just meant it wasn't something new.

As for Air Canada, compared to every single American airline I have flown on, Air Canada just shines. Shines. It's not as good as our old lamented Canadian Airlines, but it sure as hell beats United or Alaska.

Ick.

*sigh*

Right now Anaheim is up 3 to 1 over the Canucks. :(

Profile Quote
Lurker
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 26 Apr , 2007 3:56 am

I travel overseas via Air Canada and their service is nothing compared to Cathay Pacific, Singapore Airlines and other European carriers. Cathay Pacific has upgraded me twice. :) The ground personnel actually comes up to you and say "We can upgrade you, sir!" Air Canada managed to put me in a plane back home alright but after almost a day stranded at the airport, if we (me, another lawyer and a media man) didn't complain we wouldn't even get food vouchers. The airline carrier they put us on was not even at par with Air Canada, but we didn't have the energy to complain anymore we just want to get home.

Man, I'm telling you I felt as if we were contestants in the Amazing Race following the airport personnel asking other airlines if they have available seats. We ran around like crazy at the airport, we bought our meal then ran back to the counter again just in case they called us.

I've only flown American Airlines (great service!) and Air Canada to the US. I avoid taking US carriers as much as possible.

Just a tip: Wear something nice when travelling abroad, they are more likely to upgrade you. :) There is somebody who scouts for people to fill in extra seats. :)

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 26 Apr , 2007 4:22 am
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

Not sure I know enough about Canada to give a list of ten things that I dislike about it--it's a lot easier for me to find things that I like. :P But I'll certainly agree about the Leafs.

I haven't had spectacular experiences on American, but nothing has been horrible. I dislike United. My favorite US-based airline would have to be Continental, because they actually fed me decent food when I flew with them--and it was only a two-and-a-half hour flight! I wasn't expecting it but was pleasantly surprised. But the best airline I've flown on would have to be Aer Lingus. Fast service, edible food, and very friendly flight attendants.

Profile Quote
vison
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 26 Apr , 2007 4:37 am
Best friends forever

I haven't flown Cathay Pacific, but I did fly Singapore Airlines once and it was great. WestJet is good, but I confess I remember the days of real food and little pillows and blankets . .

Another thing I'm going to hate about Canada right now: The Anaheim Mighty Ducks 4, Vancouver Canucks 1. Not Luongo's best night.

Profile Quote
The Watcher
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 26 Apr , 2007 4:42 am
Same as it ever was

Lordy, lordy, you Canucks have it good if this is the worst stuff you can dredge up!! :D:D

I cannot make a list of ten, but here it goes:

Border customs on the Canadian side having some fascinating obsession with fresh fruit. Fer gosh sakes, your weather alone would kill most anything that MIGHT be on the fruit. :D:D

Poutine.

Having some sort of inferiority complex when it comes to the US, when in fact we think you guys are the cool neighbors to the north and we would all be moving there except for your weather. (Lucky for you there, I guess!! :D:D)

Your weather - either too much snow and "Arctic blasts/Alberta clippers/Canadian low pressure centers" OR ridiculous amounts of rain in the other places.

We cannot figure out your politics. Sorry, it just seems so mild compared to what goes on here, we cannot understand what you are bitching about, and it would indeed help if what goes on in Canada ever even got COVERED here. :D:D

Did I mention poutine?

Quebec. Rather the obnoxious part of Canada, let them form their own country, who cares? They would be an island of extreme French surrounded on all sides by people who frankly do not care at all...they make the French in France sometimes seem like paragons of tolerance...(ducks to avoid having poutine tossed at her head...)

Vancouver science fiction television. Sorry, but it mostly sucks. :D:D

Other than that, it is an odd quirk of fate that where what lies where is on one side of the border or the other, and I guess in many ways I am often times closer to the Canadians than I am to many parts of the US. That includes not only in physical terms, but those of social, political, and cultural terms. The US is so diverse, but those of us who live in areas bordering Canada are so much more like you are than we would be to places like Texas or Florida.

Okay, well I will round off my list with those stupid goofy hats that you wear. Yeah, I understand all too well about keeping the head warm and all, but 99.9% of those things are ridiculous looking, and we wear them down here as well. Why cannot someone come up with a warm hat that covers the ears and still LOOKS good? :D:D

Last edited by The Watcher on Thu 26 Apr , 2007 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 miles per second, is a cow that has been dropped from a helicopter.

Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

- Dave Barry

Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive...
Supermassive Black Hole.

- Muse

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 26 Apr , 2007 4:48 am
Takoyaki is love

You don't like Poutine? Poutine is wonderful!!!!!! :love:

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 26 Apr , 2007 5:11 am
bioalchemist

Air Canada is the only thing I truly dislike about Canada. I have been royally fucked by Air Canada every time I've flown it.

That said, the real "We will screw you so bad you won't even know where to pick up the pieces" prize goes to American Airlines. Avoid them. Seriously. Just don't do it. Assuming the plane even takes off, there's no guarantee your luggage will be on it. British Airways is fine for getting planes off the ground but it's best to burn some incense and pray before you check your luggage. United blows. Air Tran sucks. Pretty much the only carriers I like are JetBlue and Alaska. Frontier is horrible about luggage. Alaska has been good to me, though for some reason the roughest landings I've had to date were all with Alaska.

I also dislike the lake effect, which Canada must take some blame for. However, I solved this problem by moving away from the Great Lakes. Far away. :P

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
The Watcher
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 26 Apr , 2007 5:19 am
Same as it ever was

Riverthalos wrote:
I also dislike the lake effect, which Canada must take some blame for. However, I solved this problem by moving away from the Great Lakes. Far away. :P
Softy!! :P:P:P

Although, you ARE an avowed bike rider, which makes your preferred mode of transportation even a bit iffy where you live now, but impossible if you lived in some other locales. Thus, you are forgiven. :Di

Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 miles per second, is a cow that has been dropped from a helicopter.

Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

- Dave Barry

Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive...
Supermassive Black Hole.

- Muse

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 26 Apr , 2007 5:32 am
bioalchemist

Well, it wasn't impossible in Rochester. It was just not very smart, bordering on so utterly insane I really have to wonder what I was thinking.

The real issue I had with winter up there was SAD, and the lingering lake effect snow didn't help. I still have SAD issues, but CO is generally sunnier and south enough that the days don't get so short.

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 26 Apr , 2007 1:35 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

What's poutine?

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
Lily Rose
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 26 Apr , 2007 1:51 pm
stranded in dreamland

I have only been to Toronto and Niagra Falls, both of which are beautiful. The only thing that I could possibly complain about is that some money changers will try to gyp you. Beyond that, like Elsha, I would rather focus on the positives. :)

I don't have faith in faith
I don't believe in belief
You can call me faithless
I still cling to hope
And I believe in love
And that's faith enough for me

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 26 Apr , 2007 1:59 pm

#1 - Too far away
#2 - Too cold

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 26 Apr , 2007 2:59 pm
Not so deep as a well

Poutine is what happens when you make biscuits and gravy with french fries instead of biscuits. :D

Destiny is a rhythm track on which we must improvise.

In some cases, firing the drummer helps.

Profile Quote
Lurker
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 26 Apr , 2007 3:23 pm

ToshoftheWuffingas wrote:
What's poutine?
A dish consisting of french fries topped with fresh cheese curds and covered with hot gravy (usually brown gravy) and sometimes other additional ingredients. The curds' freshness is important as it makes them soft in the warm fries, without completely melting. It is a quintessential French-Canadian comfort food.

I love poutine since my family originally comes from Quebec and I cook it, too. Poutine everything not just french fries, last time I was in Quebec City my cousins served us poutine salad, delicious!!!! :love:

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 26 Apr , 2007 3:30 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

Yuck. That doesn't appeal to me in the least, though I would try it at least once.

Okay, I can't think of 10 things I dislike. I liked Lake Effect snow, but I don't like Alberta Clippers.

So I guess the cold is the only thing I can think of that I don't really like. :scratch:

I've never been to Quebec, so I can't say how I feel about it. But I don't like French (the language), so I suspect I would not like the attitude that some place was superior just because the people spoke French.

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 26 Apr , 2007 4:31 pm
Milk and kisses

- That it's so far away.

That's basically it. :D

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
vison
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 26 Apr , 2007 4:32 pm
Best friends forever

I love Quebec. I love Quebec City, it is incredibly beautiful and has the oldest buildings in North America. I love Montreal, the most amazing city, like going to a foreign country without going to a foreign country. The food in Montreal is fabulous, if you like to eat and who doesn't, you could eat a different kind of food every night for a year and enjoy it all. I love the countryside in Quebec, the way the people build their houses and barns, it's different from the West.

Many people claim to have been treated rudely in Quebec because the complainer is Anglo. Well, bs, I say. I have never been treated rudely in Quebec, the funny thing is, and this is absolutely true, they can pretty well tell whether you speak English or French just by the way you look. A smile and a "merci" go a very long way to make things pleasant.

Poutine is Spawn of Satan. It is like . . . hm. It's like poutine and either you like it or you don't and I don't. However, for those who do? You can have my share.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 3  [ 49 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page 1 2 3 »
Jump to: