10 things I love about Europe

Post Reply   Page 3 of 4  [ 74 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 »
None_Elf_Ear
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 15 Jul , 2007 10:02 am
HM Indefatigable

:LMAO:
It's white wine, actually. And it's me typing as if I were followed by mad dogs or something *sigh* These days I was typing wining instead of whining, to make things clear.

And aye, you were right. I've added a * to the WIS stuff, and forgot to clear that. It is Welsh, Irish, Scots indeed :D Or you're rather SIW, or SWI, or IWS? I've just put them considering how much I enjoy the respective languages :scratch:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 15 Jul , 2007 12:07 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

The closest British Isles store around here is called the WISE Choice Shop (Welsh, Irish, Scottish, English).

http://www.wisechoiceuk.com/scripts/default.asp

It would probably be fun for some of you to check the site out, just to see what they offer and how much they charge (if you can figure it out back and forth).

NEE, I love the Celtic languages, too. I've tried to teach myself Welsh. It is very difficult, and I usually pick up languages easily. (Not that I'm really fluent in any other language than English.)

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
None_Elf_Ear
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 15 Jul , 2007 12:40 pm
HM Indefatigable

Language fan here as well :)

I'm actually majoring in that, you know. Translation Technologies, that's called, doing it in French and German. I'm self-taught in English. And about Welsh, what a nice coincidence this is, I've just started learning it myself, and it seems to me a beautiful language :love: The pronunciation might be a bit difficult, yes, but I've done Chinese and Polish, a bit of each, and after leaning how to cope with THOSE words, nothing seems impossible anymore :D

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 16 Jul , 2007 1:33 pm
A song outlasts a dynasty.

Quote:
The closest British Isles store around here is called the WISE Choice Shop (Welsh, Irish, Scottish, English).
Ireland isn't a British Isle...

Sleep is a death; Oh, make me try by sleeping what it is to die.

Profile Quote
Di of Long Cleeve
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 16 Jul , 2007 2:13 pm
Frodo's girl through and through

Crucifer wrote:
Ireland isn't a British Isle...
Geographically, it is, cuz it's all part of the same group of islands ... but of course calling Ireland part of the British Isles in the political sense is, indeed, controversial. ;)

Lali, that online store is something else. :D The items seem rather over-priced. ;)

I mean, I wouldn't pay seven dollars for a bottle of Dettol. :shock: The antiseptic liquid that one smelt in all British Hospitals, so clean and refreshing. Yeah. Lovely. :suspicious: I mean, I love any smell that reminds me of a HOSPITAL. :damnfunny:

I have an American friend who lived in England for many years. Every time she comes over here, she stocks up on teabags, chocolate digestive biscuits and Branston pickle!

Welsh is a beautiful language (Tolkien based Sindarin on it) but very difficult to learn, I should imagine. As a child, my family took many holidays in North Wales, where a lot of people still speak Welsh as a first language. :)

"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... " Letter no. 246

Avatar by elanordh on Live Journal

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 16 Jul , 2007 3:18 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

Yes, I understand the controversy with Ireland, but I'm not the one who named the store. :P And what Di says is true.

So I figured things were quite expensive. :( It's why I only get stuff from there once a year or so. I thought it might be amusing for you all to see what they sell.

NEE, you have me beat on languages, by far. I know Spanish fairly well, and that's about it. I was doing German with my daughter for a while, and that seemed rather intuitive to me (not surprising, with English as my native language). Our guests from Italy have been with us for a month now, and I am surprised by how much I can understand just from knowing Spanish. She is teaching me some Italian as well. I can remember trying to teach myself Irish Gaelic when I was in high school. I can say exactly two words: black cat. :LMAO:

Welsh is beautiful. (I think all the Gaelic languages are.) My youngest daughter, who had speech issues, was naturally good at pronouncing the words! (Which makes me think she wouldn't have had a speech issue in Wales!) That really is an interesting thought, you know?

Does anyone remember despoina from TORC? She sent me a tape recording once of her speaking Welsh. It was so cool.

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 16 Jul , 2007 3:24 pm
Aspiring to heresy

LalaithUrwen wrote:
So I figured things were quite expensive. :( It's why I only get stuff from there once a year or so. I thought it might be amusing for you all to see what they sell.
Just think how much money you could save by just going to the UK and paying the same prices the Brits pay! :poke:

By the way, you should look into getting recordings of Bryn Terfel singing traditional Welsh music. :love:

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Di of Long Cleeve
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 16 Jul , 2007 3:33 pm

Jude wrote:
Just think how much money you could save by just going to the UK and paying the same prices the Brits pay! :poke:
Lali certainly wouldn't want to pay the price they charge us for cinema tickets in this country. :rage:

£12.50 at the Odeon Leicester Square, it is UNBELIEVABLE. :rage:

When it comes to British chocolate, one of my faves was always Bournville's plain (dark) chocolate.

Best of all though is Green & Black's organic chocolate. That is the real McCoy, and it's Fairtrade too. Seriously chocolately, seriously yummy.

http://www.greenandblacks.com/uk/index.php?flash=yes

I once tasted a Hershey bar, on a trip to the US.

I thought it was HORRIBLE. :Q :(

"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... " Letter no. 246

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 16 Jul , 2007 4:09 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

I looked at a bit of that UK supplies site and they have a fair range but apart from being expensive one would have to take a little care. I mean they sell Mr Kipling cakes which are the vilest industrialised pap imaginable. I suggest Colmans mustard powder for the curious. It is lightweight so is cheap to send and a little goes a long way. Too much and I guarantee your sinuses will explode out of your face like a rejected scene from Alien. :D Chillies have nothing on freshly mixed English mustard. We like it in beef or cheese sandwiches.

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 16 Jul , 2007 4:24 pm
Aspiring to heresy

I can remember buying a hot dog from a roadside stand in Scotland. I spread it with mustard, using the same amount as if it were North American mustard.

When I ate it, my head exploded.

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 16 Jul , 2007 8:23 pm
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

Di, we were just having a discussion of chocolate in the Manweista thread the other day! :LMAO: Green & Black's is amazing chocolate, it's one of my favorites. A lot of places in the States sell it, both health food store chains and regular grocery store chains. Great stuff!!

But I'll say the same thing about Hershey's that I said in the Manwe Yak-Yak...it is NOT representative of American chocolate! There are loads of places, mostly local companies, in the States that sell excellent chocolate--as good as any I've had from Europe and Central America. :)

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 16 Jul , 2007 8:39 pm

Ha! You're puny yankee mustard is no match for Colman's, the mustard with sinus splitting strength!

And green and black's "A darker shade of milk" Is heavenly.

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 16 Jul , 2007 8:41 pm

Crucifer wrote:
Ha! You're puny yankee mustard is no match for Colman's, the mustard with sinus splitting strength!
Psst...Jude is Canadian. ;) They don't like to be confused with yanks. :D

Profile Quote
Di of Long Cleeve
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 16 Jul , 2007 9:04 pm

elfshadow wrote:
But I'll say the same thing about Hershey's that I said in the Manwe Yak-Yak...it is NOT representative of American chocolate! There are loads of places, mostly local companies, in the States that sell excellent chocolate--as good as any I've had from Europe and Central America. :)

Elfshadow ... my faith in America is totally restored. :cool:

I know that Godiva's is popular over there, yes? :) That's really nice chocolate. :)

By the way, looking at your sig pic ... the US cover for Deathly Hallows is so much nicer than the British one!

Profile Quote
None_Elf_Ear
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 16 Jul , 2007 9:33 pm
HM Indefatigable

LalaithUrwen wrote:
NEE, you have me beat on languages, by far.
Nah. Definetly not.

Besides the above-mentioned 3 main languages I know (well, except Romanian, which is my native language, of course), I've studied Spanish as well, for an year, in my 1st year at the uni (the teacher was a real pain in the ..., she skipped classes like mad, but I still gained some knowledge from that, surprisingly enough!). Done a bit of Italian as well (one semester), but I used to translate a lot of footie sites from Italian and Portuguese, so I guess I can still pretty much understand a light conversation worn in one of those two. Polish, well, learned for another semester, but had to quite, because the classes were being held in another location that my uni, and I was having a hard time trying to reach my compulsory classes. I'm happy I managed to grasp the pronunciation, as I was saying, I think it to be the most difficult part of the whole thing. Chinese was more some kind of a joke, did it for 7 weeks and chanted like searin' when it came of pronunciation *giggles* Apart from these, had some Norwegian and Swedish, on a regular basis (2 years each, still beginner though). And I've got to add that I used to speak Hungarian between ages 0 and 6. Kaputt.

So you see, I'm rather "patchy" when it comes of languages. I just love them too much to limit myself at only 3 or 4 :D

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 16 Jul , 2007 9:44 pm

elfshadow wrote:
Crucifer wrote:
Psst...Jude is Canadian. ;) They don't like to be confused with yanks. :D
Oh dear. How could I make such a glaring error! :oops: :blackeye:

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 16 Jul , 2007 9:47 pm

Yes, Di, Godiva's is wonderful too! :love:

And I like the version of Deathly Hallows in my sig, but I really really like the UK version. :) I love the necklace on the front!! It looks so perfect.

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 16 Jul , 2007 9:51 pm

None_Elf_Ear wrote:
So you see, I'm rather "patchy" when it comes of languages. I just love them too much to limit myself at only 3 or 4 :D
People in Polynesia speak.over 1,000 languages.
Maybe you'd like it there.

:sunny:

Profile Quote
None_Elf_Ear
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 17 Jul , 2007 9:23 pm
HM Indefatigable

Never actually thought of that :blackeye:

Err, who offers her/himself to provide me the money I need, in order to travel as soon as possible to the above-mentioned archipelago? :D

[ img ]

Profile Quote
oldtoby
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 17 Jul , 2007 9:48 pm
Cuddly Studmuffin

Only if you stop off in Winston on your way there first. ;)

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 3 of 4  [ 74 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 »
Jump to: