Post Reply   Page 2 of 3  [ 58 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 »
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 17 May , 2007 1:47 am
His Rosyness

[ img ]
[ img ]

At a glance, you might conclude the two landscapes around the rock do not look that similar.

But you have to take 3 things into account.

1. The angle the two images were taken from are not the same.
2. The resolution and contrast are different.
and, critically
3. The position of the illuminating source (the sun) is not going to be the same. The visibility of geographical details and the relief of the terrain depend very strongly on the angle that light is hitting them.

Taking these into account, you can go through these two images crater by crater, ridge by ridge, and find that they correlate. Or, they do for me - if you have a good eye, maybe you can find an anomalie that shows they are not the same landscape.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
halplm
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 17 May , 2007 6:50 am
b77 whipping boy

no, iavas, I don't think things were photoshopped to look like nasa's pictures... it's far easier to take a nasa photograph and put in a little cigar shaped blot...

Or better yet, find something that looks cigar shaped, and highlight it, and then build a whole scenario about how it's a ship... and then people that WANT to believe it might be a ship, will see nothing but a ship... and soon enough, of COURSE it's a ship, and nasa would just be trying to cover it up.

Believe it's a ship, whatever, I don't care, I think it's foolish.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 17 May , 2007 9:09 am
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

It's a moon Titanic. Somewhere in the galaxy, rich aliens are wondering where their luggage is at.

I was reminded of that big hoax with the hidden "Noah's Ark" type ship that the government was hiding, and the guy who took the photos was on the run from them. It was also pretty obvious, but the idea of such things is pretty fascinating.

I think I'm with hal on the filming. It is shaking a whole lot and has that weird white screen right before the closeups. The actual image is pretty close to what I've seen in films like Jurassic Park, Titanic, and LOTR, when they shoot small for big.

Still neat to think about, though. Maybe the moon is prime real estate in the solar system, and not earth, like we've always thought. ;)

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
jewelsong
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 17 May , 2007 9:24 am
Just keep singin'!

Iavas, why is this in the Symposium? Isn't this forum for serious discussion? ;)

People have been faking pictures of UFOs and little green men since...well, since photography was invented. This is simply another one - using grainy footage and blurry objects and preying on the minds of folks like you who apparently want to believe that if something like this was actually found on the moon, the government would be able to keep it a deep, dark secret.

:roll:

Profile Quote
democritus
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 17 May , 2007 9:34 am

jewelsong wrote:
Iavas, why is this in the Symposium? Isn't this forum for serious discussion? ;)

People have been faking pictures of UFOs and little green men since...well, since photography was invented. This is simply another one - using grainy footage and blurry objects and preying on the minds of folks like you who apparently want to believe that if something like this was actually found on the moon, the government would be able to keep it a deep, dark secret.

:roll:
More Iavas lunacy, I love it! :LMAO:

I can now giggle my way to work.

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 17 May , 2007 10:21 am
Filthy darwinian hobbit

Quote:
halplm wrote:
I'm curious as to why someone would spend so much time trying to fake this kind of thing...

Welcome to the internet; you must be new here.
I'll treasure that :D
Quote:
People have been faking pictures of UFOs and little green men since...well, since photography was invented.
Hmm, this reminds me of a conversation I had this week. It might warrant a different thread entirely.

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 17 May , 2007 11:23 am

To be fair, Iavas has said he believes it's a hoax several times. He's just saying it's a very very good hoax.

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 17 May , 2007 11:25 am
of Vinyamar

I have to agree with Yov, there's no need to insult Iavas.

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 17 May , 2007 2:21 pm
His Rosyness

Thanks guys :) I was kind of waiting for these people to show up and prove that they do not pay attention.
Quote:
no, iavas, I don't think things were photoshopped to look like nasa's pictures... it's far easier to take a nasa photograph and put in a little cigar shaped blot...
The NASA photo is genuine.
Quote:
Or better yet, find something that looks cigar shaped, and highlight it, and then build a whole scenario about how it's a ship... and then people that WANT to believe it might be a ship, will see nothing but a ship... and soon enough, of COURSE it's a ship, and nasa would just be trying to cover it up.
You just contradicted yourself, in the first quote you said you didn't think things were photoshopped.. but here you are implying things were, in order to match the NASA image.
Quote:
Believe it's a ship, whatever, I don't care, I think it's foolish.
I never said I did. I'm saying that, with regard to the stills, you have to be impressed either way - if they are real, you should be impressed that such a strange feature exists on the moon. If they aren't, you should be impressed by the skill it took to fake them.

The video I can accept as fake, though even there I think you need to give more credit to the trickery. It's the "oh anyone could fake that" attitude I'm disagreeing with! You could even call it pretty good art.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
halplm
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 17 May , 2007 2:28 pm
b77 whipping boy

no, I don't have to do any such thing. If it WAS really good art, that's one thing, but it's not even that. It's obviously fake.

What it is is people with too much time on their hands trying to gain some sort of internet fame with making up fake stuff. I think people could be using their time much more productively...

Good hoaxes are sometimes very fun, but in this day and age, they have to be REALLY good... and this one just doesn't cut it.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 17 May , 2007 2:29 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

Dave_LF wrote:
halplm wrote:
I'm curious as to why someone would spend so much time trying to fake this kind of thing...
Welcome to the internet; you must be new here. :D
Yeah, I had nearly spit out my water when I read that. :D

And I also second (or third) the idea that no one needs to insult Iavas. In fact, even if he did say he believed it was genuine, there would still be no need to insult him.

I was actually thinking the other day that with the abilities we now have with PhotoShop, video editing softward, CGI, etc., it could cast doubt on practically anything. That's a scary thought.

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 17 May , 2007 2:33 pm

Quote:
no, I don't have to do any such thing. If it WAS really good art, that's one thing, but it's not even that. It's obviously fake.
I don't think the stills are obviously fake. They're just not obviously real.
And the cigar thingie does look exactly like the official NASA photo, which is kinda cool.

I bet whatever that odd thing is it looks awesome up close. :)

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 17 May , 2007 3:15 pm
You are hearing me talk

halplm wrote:
Oh I know people DO it... I'm just always curious as to WHY...
I know; I just couldn't resist. :) Just as much, I wonder *how*. Photoshop ain't cheap. Neither are computers, and neither is leisure time. Is there a lot of free money floating around out there I don't know about?
LalaithUrwen wrote:
I was actually thinking the other day that with the abilities we now have with PhotoShop, video editing softward, CGI, etc., it could cast doubt on practically anything. That's a scary thought.
Indeed. "Photographic evidence" isn't really worth much anymore.

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 17 May , 2007 3:40 pm
of Vinyamar

http://www.mediasmart.org.uk/kids/adver ... rt_ad.html

This is the UK version, which I prefer to the Canadian original. Its shorter, and more to the point.

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 17 May , 2007 6:03 pm
His Rosyness

hal - let's focus on the stills, the one at the top of this page.

I want you to explain what you think is going on there. Is the still real? If not, how was it done?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
jewelsong
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 18 May , 2007 5:10 am
Just keep singin'!

*sigh*

No insult was intended on my part. The stills at the top of the page look like the surface of the moon. There is an object in them that is roughly cigar-shaped. Because it doesn't appear to fit, the assumption is that is it faked and the further assumption is that the hoaxer wants us to think it is some kind of spaceship thing.

But the object could be anything. The pictures are black and white and grainy and we cannot see everything in perspective.

The video was almost impossible to watch it was so blurred.

I don't think there is any kind of elaborate hoax...all I see is some stills and some footage and some object that could be something maybe if you squint hard and have a vivid imagination and lots of time on your hands to examine each and every pixel with a fine tooth comb.

Profile Quote
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 18 May , 2007 12:35 pm
His Rosyness

Quote:
The stills at the top of the page look like the surface of the moon. There is an object in them that is roughly cigar-shaped. Because it doesn't appear to fit, the assumption is that is it faked and the further assumption is that the hoaxer wants us to think it is some kind of spaceship thing.
This still:

[ img ]

is from an official NASA image, so the object is real. The question is whether the slightly closer stills are real or not. If they are not, the hoaxer has done an amazing job matching the NASA image.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
halplm
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 18 May , 2007 1:14 pm
b77 whipping boy

how is it amazing? Honestly, what's the fascination? You take photoshop, you take the NASA image, you zoom in on the image, and you spend some time clearing it up. when you get to the "object" you add lines and shadows to make it look less like an oddly shaped hill, and more like a spaceship.

And I don't care how much you say they make it look like the official pictures... they don't really look like them at all unless you WANT them too...

To match a fingerprint, you need something like 7 corresponding exact match points... the same place in a photograph should have WAY more than that... but between the "official" stills and the "spaceship stills" there are basically none.

What is it that you want from all of this, Iavas? For people to agree that if you put enough time into a hoax, it can look real (I think we all agree) that their "may" be alien spaceships out there (I at least agree), that the government knows about this and is hiding it all (Sorry, don't agree, nor do I think this hoax helps prove that at all)... that the perpetrators of this hoax are good photoshop editors (sorry, disagree greatly), or film students (as I said before, disagree greatly)... ?

I think I've at least said everything I need to... not sure what else there is to talk about really.

Profile Quote
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 18 May , 2007 1:34 pm
His Rosyness

Quote:
You take photoshop, you take the NASA image, you zoom in on the image, and you spend some time clearing it up.
No, it is not a zoom in - firstly, the viewing angle is different. Secondly, the light angle is different. And thirdly, there are THREE of these stills all from different vantage points.

I don't think you actually have much experience with photoshop. You just say it's easy, but quality manipulation takes a lot of work and a lot of skill.
Quote:
To match a fingerprint, you need something like 7 corresponding exact match points... the same place in a photograph should have WAY more than that... but between the "official" stills and the "spaceship stills" there are basically none.
Then as I said before, you are simply not looking at the images properly. I could probably give you about 100 match points, let alone 7. Every crater, every ridge, every cliff in the NASA image is there in the stills, and in exactly the right place (and looks real). If you think the images don't match, then your mind has been fooled by the different viewing angle/resolution/position of light source.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 18 May , 2007 2:12 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

democritus wrote:
More Iavas lunacy, I love it! :LMAO:

I can now giggle my way to work.
*is having a very hard time holding back a slur of profanities*

You (general you) know what I'm really fucking sick of? Is people at this board calling Iavas all sorts of very demeaning names. He's automatically treated like a crazy person with no thought at all. He's made fun of, put down, etc, etc and the second he has a weak spot, loses it and lashes back for a moment, everyone pounces on him, telling him he's being rude or went too far....forgetting the whole while how insulting many people have been towards him.

People need to stop it. I'm incredibly sick of seeing him treated like a crazy lunatic. He is not. He does his best to stay calm and not belittle others, even in the face of many people doing exactly the opposite to him.

Stop it. Stop treating him like crap.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 3  [ 58 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 »
Jump to: