The Last Homely Site on the Web

Amazing hoax?

Post Reply   Page 3 of 3  [ 58 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 18 May , 2007 2:22 pm
of Vinyamar

Eru, both Yova and I already made that point, but you're right, there's no excuse for it.

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 18 May , 2007 2:31 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

I realize that Alatar, but coming from me, the point is much stronger.

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 18 May , 2007 2:33 pm

It was worth saying a 2nd and 3rd time.
It'd be nice if people just replied to what he says. Even if this is just a totally pointless fake, it's kinda cool, in a way, and it's made me really wonder what that thing would really look like up close.

Profile Quote
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 18 May , 2007 2:49 pm
His Rosyness

:hug: for Eru

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 18 May , 2007 3:00 pm
His Rosyness

Quote:
it's made me really wonder what that thing would really look like up close.
If only we could get some time with Hubble and take a look! I want to know if it really does have a giant overhang at the end (the "nose"). That would be pretty incredible to see from the ground.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 18 May , 2007 3:02 pm
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

Iavas_Saar wrote:
This still is from an official NASA image, so the object is real. The question is whether the slightly closer stills are real or not.
Or whether it is an object at all.

While it seems like an odd formation for sand to settle into, it is even more odd for a ship to land or crash with what appears to be the stern more buried than the bow. Maybe I am looking at it too much like the kinds of ships we have on earth, but that's my problem with it, anyway. :P

EDIT: I should probably say "plane" more than "ship" since it is a craft more similar to the former that would even be on the moon in the first place. Ships, it just depends on where they are hit that determines what end sinks first.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
halplm
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 18 May , 2007 3:55 pm
b77 whipping boy

You'd be surprised how much I know about photoshop, Iavas. You'd be surprised how much I know about photography in space as well.

But as I can't go into details, I'm sure you would rather take the word of the purpetuators of this hoax over anyone with an objective opinion. I mean, they put so much effort into creating this, that must be admirable in some way... because decieving people and playing up their beliefs and paranoia, and making them think there's a massive cover up... and then sitting back and laughing at all the people that believe... yeah, that's admirable.

You want high quality ameteur film work, go watch something by these guys: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNPk9-1KJMg

You want photoshop amazement, check out a site like this : http://digitalart.org/art/55385/science ... e-village/ Or just play any recent video game...

I'll never understand the fascination with fooling people.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 18 May , 2007 4:32 pm

I do a lot with photoshop...image manipulation and artistic works from scratch and it amazes me that someone could make something look so real, through photoshop or model building. It takes a lot of work to make something look real...a lot of time, effort, and patience in order to match everything in such great detail. It is not something your average Joe Schmoe can do. And how do we know the creator's motive were so sinister? It helps not to assume so much.

Profile Quote
halplm
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 18 May , 2007 4:39 pm
b77 whipping boy

What other possible motivation could their be?

I never once said these guys were joe shmoe's... I just said anyone that wanted to put the time and effort into doing this... could. It's not particularly impressive to alter photos.

Creating new artwork, that's impressive.

The very fact we've spent this much time talking about this, would be more than satisfying for the people that did this. Every time they see someone talkign about their project they probably get a thrill.

I know I would if I were them.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 18 May , 2007 4:50 pm

To have fun, create something, the challenge of making something look real?

I couldn't do what they did.
Quote:
The very fact we've spent this much time talking about this, would be more than satisfying for the people that did this. Every time they see someone talkign about their project they probably get a thrill.
If I saw people talking about something I made, calling it amazing, it would make me feel good as well...accomplished. And why shouldn't they feel that way? Are they not allowed to have fun because you don't think it's right or amazing?

What's so wrong with people finding the work neat? People don't all think like you do, behave like you do, or believe the same things as you do....and they don't have to. Being more accepting of diversity and realizing people think about things in different ways is a helpful thing to do. That seems to be the root of the issue here and all I have to say about this particular aspect of this thread.

Profile Quote
halplm
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 18 May , 2007 4:59 pm
b77 whipping boy

that's all well and good, except some people are incapable of recognizing such things as hoaxes at all. This kind of thing fuels their paranoia about the government, and basically leads to confusion and misunderstanding.

It's a kind of deceptiveness that creates problems. There is no value in it.

If people want ot make something that looks so real, I have no problem with it, it's great. I don't think in this case they succeeded AT ALL, but maybe I'm just too critical. But to try and trick people into thinking it's a government conspiracy or whatever... is something I have great disdain for, and I'm not going to say otherwise.

Profile Quote
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 18 May , 2007 5:44 pm
His Rosyness

You see, I have learnt from watching Eru, who is very good with photoshop, how difficult it is to make a manipulated image look totally natural and real. Even special effects in 100 million dollar movies can still look like effects.

I was never talking about the right or wrong of hoaxes. In this case I am not even sure if the stills *are* hoaxes - deny it all you want, but to get every geographical feature to match and look real would have taken a lot of work, and talent - so why would a hoaxer do the same difficult task 3 times from viewpoints that don't even reveal that much more than the NASA image?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
halplm
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 18 May , 2007 5:47 pm
b77 whipping boy

because they have no life.

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 18 May , 2007 5:49 pm

I really don't see any reason to think the stills are fake.

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 20 May , 2007 5:22 am
bioalchemist

The stills are quality. The video less so, and not just because of a blatant factual error (Apollos 18, 19, and 20 were all cancelled). I'm not buying the video at all.

People are wondering why someone would perpetrate a hoax of such quality. My guess is, assuming the stills are a hoax, it's their own private joke. Someone out there is freakishly skillful at image editing, and they've put these stills out and are now laughing at the people silly enough to believe what they are seeing as real. They're seeing the belief as a testament to their skill. They feel like a god, or close to it. It may sound sad, but people can do strange things when they feel bullied or powerless. This person may have had a lot of time on their hands, or maybe this was a project they've been working on for months during their spare time.

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 20 May , 2007 1:38 pm
His Rosyness

Quote:
The video less so, and not just because of a blatant factual error (Apollos 18, 19, and 20 were all cancelled).
Not saying the footage is real, but this doesn't necessarily discount it - it may have been part of a pre-flight study for Apollo 20 before it was cancelled.

So River - are you going for real or hoax for the stills?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 20 May , 2007 4:17 pm
bioalchemist

I'm still trying to decide.

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 21 May , 2007 7:52 pm
Tricksy Elf!

Iavas_Saar wrote:
Quote:
The video less so, and not just because of a blatant factual error (Apollos 18, 19, and 20 were all cancelled).
Not saying the footage is real, but this doesn't necessarily discount it - it may have been part of a pre-flight study for Apollo 20 before it was cancelled.
You know it took nearly three pages for somebody to point this out :LMAO:

Personally I think this is a very good hoax. One of the real problem with most hoax is that they are too neat, too well done. Real photos and images of events without profesional film crews are terrible.

I belive the NASA picture is real, but I doubt it is a crashed spaceship from some distant empire. It is probably from one of the earlier apollo missions, just moved out of context, and probably some geological structure caught in sunlight.

However the dreamer in me would love it to be more than that.

Thanks for finding it Iavas, I like this one :)

'When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from delusion, it is called Religion'.

~Robert M. Pirsig

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 3 of 3  [ 58 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 1 2 3
Jump to: