The Last Homely Site on the Web

Inexplicable things that people tell you

Post Reply   Page 2 of 2  [ 33 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2
Riverthalos
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 21 May , 2007 3:55 pm
bioalchemist

LM, you'd be surprised. People have gotten sick at lower altitudes than that. I'm usually fine at 14 though, so I'm blaming lack of sleep too.

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 21 May , 2007 6:19 pm

One of the reasons my wife and I chose this screen name for me is because I'm a catalyst in the ability of others.

There I was in the first year of my military duty. Our squadron is having a pool party. In order to gain free admittance, I volunteered to provide entertainment by giving tarot card readings.

One guy, so ordinary he was shocked into silence when I mixed ketchup, mustard, and mayonaise in one bowl for my french fries, asked for a reading. I looked at the cards, said "do you have a girlfriend?" "Yes." "No, you don't.".

A week later he dreamed about his girlfriend and his best friend back home making out at a football game.

The next day he called here, and she had a confession to make. "Let me guess, you were making out with my best friend at a football game?" "How did you know!"

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 21 May , 2007 6:40 pm

CG wrote:
One guy, so ordinary he was shocked into silence when I mixed ketchup, mustard, and mayonaise in one bowl for my french fries, asked for a reading.
:shock: :shock: :shock: *is shocked into silence* :shock: :shock: :shock:

(by the way, that story doesn't mean you catalyzed his ability- it just means your words opened his mind to the possiblity his own dream showed him.)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 21 May , 2007 7:07 pm

His dream showed him details that the card reading alone could not have hoped to achieve. The person and the location, while it was happening ... that's pushing the bounds of probability.

And what's so weird about the dipping sauce I created for my french fries?

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 21 May , 2007 9:19 pm

:D Nothing, nothing... carry on....

*gags quietly*

edit:

OK, I've heard of mayo on fries, and ketchup of course... but mustard??? And all together??

edit2: That's inexplicable! :D

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Meril36
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 21 May , 2007 9:59 pm

Mayo, ketchup, and mustard: that's nothing. A co-worker of mine once told me that his favorite sandwich was cream cheese and sour cream with black olives. Bleargh.

Trying for profundity only limits depth.

With all the anger in the land, how long before the judgement day? Before we cut the fat ones down to size? Before the barricades arise?

Visit my art gallery at deviantART.

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 May , 2007 3:36 am
bioalchemist

I agree. Olives are gross.

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 May , 2007 1:56 pm

Olives and cream cheese go good together. I made a small army of olive penguins stuffed with cream cheese for the a family get together last year, and they were quite popular. And terribly cute!

[ img ]

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Meril36
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 May , 2007 2:46 pm

Olives and cream cheese, maybe, although I think olives are icky, but adding sour cream?

Trying for profundity only limits depth.

With all the anger in the land, how long before the judgement day? Before we cut the fat ones down to size? Before the barricades arise?

Visit my art gallery at deviantART.

Profile Quote
Impenitent
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 23 May , 2007 1:34 am
Try to stay perky

Cutest food I've ever seen! I'll remember that idea (although I might stuff them with a mix of fetta and ricotta cheeses...yum!)

[ img ]

"Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not;
and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad." ~Robert C. Savage

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 01 Aug , 2007 7:48 pm

There were some inexplicable clouds in the sky a while back. On one of our rare evenings at home this summer, my husband and I were sitting outside watching the sunset.

The clouds were those sorts of horizontal hash marks in the sky, some of them slowly turning a burning orangy pink. As I gazed at them I noticed that letters were spelled out. They kind of looked like this:

[ img ]

Yes, I know, I should have taken a picture, but we were too busy arguing about what it said. At first I only spotted "HI", but then my husband pointed out that it said, "HELL" :shock: Then I pointed out that there was a small "O" in the distance and it definitely said "HELLO".

We admired it for a while, and it faded out as the sun set, but the questions still remain...

Who was writing?

How did they get authorization to break the rules like that?

Who was it meant for? It was oriented to be seen from space! :scratch:

It gave me a warm fuzzy feeling just the same. It felt like it was meant for me, since I saw it first...

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 21 Aug , 2007 6:41 pm

A minor inexplicable thing:

At one point this summer, my husband and I were staying a couple of nights in a hotel near the house we were renovating because the plumbing in the house was out of commission for the weekend.

The first night after we were done working on the house, we trudged into the hotel room, took our showers, and took out a little cheapo DVD player we'd gotten as a freebie for ordering something from somewhere and popped in the first disk of the first season of "Eureka".

We watched about half of the episode, and turned it off and slept for the night. The next evening we came in and debated for a moment: should we finish the Eureka episode? Or did we have time to watch a whole movie instead? We'd seen the Eureka episode when it first aired, so there was no urgency to re-watch it. We decided to watch "Night at the Museum" which we hadn't seen yet, but my husband had gotten it for my birthday a few days earlier.

We popped the DVD into the player and it whirred a bit and a message appeared, "Wrong Disk". We'd never seen such a message before on a DVD player. :scratch: My husband tried all kinds of things to get the player to work, but it just wouldn't. He finally gave up, cursing the company that gave us such a worthless piece of junk as an incentive to order when I asked him to try another disk.

He put in the Eureka disk, and the menu popped right up. So, we finished watching the first episode and as he was shutting it down, I said, "Try the other disk again!" He put it in. It worked fine.

:shock: :shock:

I guess it was no longer the "wrong disk". :shrug:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 21 Aug , 2007 7:18 pm
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

That does remind me of a technological abnormality I encountered a few months ago. Or maybe this is normal and I'd never heard of it before.

Earlier in the year, I was taping a lot of films off The Movie Network because I didn't want to stay up late watching them nor pay to rent them haha. Once they were recorded on a VHS tape, I'd watch them whenever I felt like it. But sometimes when I put the tape in and pressed play, the movie's title would show up on screen. This is a VHS remember. How did it know what I recorded? :scared: Obviously tivo and DVDs can store such information but a VCR? If they do that now, it's kinda cool, I was just not aware of that being possible. The first time it happened I was like omg who's watching me. :thumbsdown

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 2  [ 33 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 1 2
Jump to: