11 Year old kills Giant Boar

Post Reply   Page 2 of 3  [ 45 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 »
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 30 May , 2007 8:53 pm
Not so deep as a well

For want of a nail?

The desire to get one's way no matter how much suffering it causes to others is at the heart of much of the world's current situation. It manifests in ways both great and small...but it's the same impulse.

Destiny is a rhythm track on which we must improvise.

In some cases, firing the drummer helps.

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 30 May , 2007 10:15 pm
You are hearing me talk

I agree with that too, but it's still hard for me too get worked up over it.

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 30 May , 2007 10:18 pm
of Vinyamar

The issue I raised was not one of quality of life for the pig, rather the exposure of a young child to killing for pleasure.

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 30 May , 2007 10:40 pm
Not so deep as a well

Well, the motive and method both matter in regards to that question, for me.

Had the kid just popped the hog with a rifle shot or two right away, instead of (evidently) deriving some sort of enjoyment from chasing a wounded animal for hours, the situation would be different. Perhaps not fundamentally so, but different enough to matter.

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 31 May , 2007 3:44 pm

Then if he had shot a deer instead of a pig, this story would have played out differently. Pigs tend to hang on to life far beyond when other animals would have given up.

What's wrong with taking a child hunting? I don't see it.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 31 May , 2007 4:11 pm
Not so deep as a well

Cenedril_Gildinaur wrote:
What's wrong with taking a child hunting?
Nothing, if it's needful. Everything, if it's not. Killing out of anything but respectful necessity is wasteful and demeaning. Killing with respectful necessity is an integral part of life.

In this particular case, one can make an argument that killing feral pigs in general is necessary. But letting an 11-year old play with a $1500 "toy" when there are more efficient killing tools at hand is not respectful. It's deliberately letting an animal suffer so that the boy can enjoy "the hunt". That's perilously close to inculcating sadism.

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 31 May , 2007 4:50 pm

So if you can get meat in the supermarket, then there's everything wrong with taking a child hunting? I would think that taking a child hunting (if he's old enough, leave the toddler at home) is a great opportunity to teach him many things, plus it's good father-son time.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 31 May , 2007 5:10 pm
Not so deep as a well

Quote:
So if you can get meat in the supermarket, then there's everything wrong with taking a child hunting?
There are other forms of necessity: see feral hogs, overpopulated deer. Even if one doesn't need the meat, hunting these is the least worst choice for preventing widespread damage to the environment. It would be better to take the meat and give it to someone if one doesn't need it, of course.

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 31 May , 2007 7:13 pm

When my husband shoots a deer, they fall over dead. At most, one has run about 7 yards and dropped dead. A very quick end. More merciful than a cougar or bear would do. My husband doesn't get any thrill of the "chase" or any such thing. He's just hunting for the meat, because we like venison better than beef, and it's much better for you. And cheaper!

My boss hunts pheasants a lot. This practice I don't like. The pheasants are raised captive on a farm. They are carried in a box out to the shooting fields. They are released. The hunters hunt them down with dogs and shotguns.

This strikes me as an incredible waste of time and energy and I've told him so. You've got the birds in the box right there. Why not just wring their necks and be done with it? Save time, save ammo, save stress on the critter. But that's not the point. He regards it as practice for the "real" thing, if ever he wanted to go hunting for wild pheasants.

And he has a point. Nothing mechanical can simulate the wild zig zags that a surprised pheasant can do on the wing. His reflexes would dull without yearly practice. I just don't care for the .... element of chance involved in real hunting. My husband hunts on our land, and we know when and where the deer are likely to be each year. It's not terribly "sporting". Even so, I hate it when they don't show up during season, and we only get half our quota. I don't like running out of venison before the year is over. Right now I've been buying beef, and it's just bland and mushy. *gag* I wish we'd gotten one more last year. We might have lasted the whole year, otherwise.

Fishing strikes me as an even more unacceptable risk level. I'd love to make a pond on our place, and stock it with fish... but do I have dreams of sitting by the pond with rod and reel and whiling away an afternoon fishing happily like some people do? No, I wish for a dock, and tame catfish that I feed every day, and that- when I want fresh fish- I can just throw some feed on the water and scoop a fish up in a net and bop it one the head to kill it.

No, it's not sporting. But, I'm not into sport. I'm a farmer at heart. I raise creatures to kill and eat them. I have no qualms about preserve hunting. That's just another form of farming, and at least it isn't feedlot farming, or animals confined in an overcrowded stinking building. It's not a bad life for them- and most hunters will kill them quickly as they want their trophy, not to spend hours scrambling through the woods trying to catch up with the creature.

I'm glad when people teach their kids to hunt. There aren't enough hunters around to keep the deer population down where it should be in our state. My own kids have never hunted, because the hunter education laws are too much trouble to get certified under. Not that they've ever shown any interest in anything but eating the meat- but they will be on their own some day, and they will have to go to the classes before they can go hunting. Which they don't want to take the time to do. Hunting in my family may die out with my generation.

*sigh*

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 02 Jun , 2007 8:41 pm
You are hearing me talk

The plot thickens...

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/06/02/monste ... index.html
Quote:
FRUITHURST, Alabama (AP) -- The huge hog that became known as "Monster Pig" after being hunted and killed by an 11-year-old boy had another name: Fred.

The not-so-wild pig had been raised on an Alabama farm and was sold to the Lost Creek Plantation just four days before it was shot there in a 150-acre fenced area, the animal's former owner said.

Phil Blissitt told The Anniston Star in a story Friday that he bought the 6-week-old pig in December 2004 as a Christmas gift for his wife, Rhonda, and that they sold it after deciding to get rid of all the pigs at their farm.

"I just wanted the truth to be told. That wasn't a wild pig," Rhonda Blissitt said.

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 04 Jun , 2007 1:38 pm

OK, that's just wrong then. :(

And a terribly cruel end for someone's pet. :bawl:

Feral pigs are wily and dangerous. This one was probably just lost and confused and scared.

I hope everyone involved in that deal gets a suitable karmic turnabout. :rage:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
The OG Borry
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 04 Jun , 2007 7:50 pm
The best things in life are not things

Location: here....<_< yeah here thats Ceres, CA for you stalkers

Nevermind :)
Borry

Last edited by The OG Borry on Mon 04 Jun , 2007 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Borry: equality works both ways cheater!
Don: so does not

So I take pictures now, check em out if you'd like. Here you go.

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 04 Jun , 2007 8:00 pm
Not so deep as a well

Nope. Go back and reread it. The pig was six-weeks old when the previous owners bought it, and they sold it only recently to the game farm as a three-year old adult.

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 04 Jun , 2007 8:00 pm
Hasta la victoria, siempre

No, he seems to have bought it when it was six weeks old, not sold it when it was that age.

*~Pips~*

Avatar is a male me, drawn by a very close friend. Just don't ask why.

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 04 Jun , 2007 8:08 pm

Bought pig in 2004 as Christmas present for wife. (that says "pet" to me, but I could be wrong)

Sold pig 4 days before it was shot, whenever that was. But it was at least a couple of years for the hog to get that big.

Thats how I read it.

edit: According to the father of the kid that shot the hog- he talked to the guy that raised it, and it wasn't a pet.
Quote:
Not The Family Pet

The news media used it for headlines for a week claiming it's size was a hoax. On the evening of May 31, I was contacted by Bran Strickland of the Anniston Star and he told me that he had good news and bad news. He said that the good news is your claims about the pig's massive size have been verified. The bad news is that he came from a hog breeder and that the pig had been sold from the breeder to the preserve for the purpose of hunting. Early on the morning of June 1, I went to the computer and read Bran's article which portrayed the pig as a family pet. The pig that Jamison killed did not act like a family pet. It was a very aggressive animal. I was upset at first to read this report but after going through a week of being told what we killed did not exist by the network media, I decided to get to the bottom of this myself. I got my whole family up at 6:00 a.m. and traveled to Heflin, AL to meet with the Blissitts to give Phil Blissitt, whom I have never met or talked to before, the opportunity to explain to Jamison why he had sold a pig that was described as being so gentle and sweet to a hunting preserve in order for someone to come and kill it.
I was able to arrange a meeting with Mr. Blissitt who was happy to oblige as he is a father of a young boy similar to Jamison's age. Mr. Blissitt explained to me that he was an avid hunter and fisherman and that he did not see anything wrong with the hunting of the animal and if he did, he would not have sold it to the preserve. I asked him to tell me a little bit about the animal and asked was Mr. Strickland of the Anniston Star accurate in his docile description of the pig. Mr. Blissitt said he had bought all the pigs for his wife. The hogs were her deal, he and his son just took care of them for her. He said all of their pigs had just recently been sold for slaughter and the big boar was too big to be a breeder because of his massive weight and stature and would certainly be unsuitable for slaughter, referring to him being an uncut boar hog. He said the pig had gotten out several times by simply walking through the fence. He also said that the pig was very scary to people who would come in the yard because of his jaw popping, which is usually seen as a sign of aggression in hogs. He said that on several occasions, he had seen this massive pig throw other pigs around, once even over the fence. Mr. Blissitt also told of building the pig a large shelter that was big enough to cover him and keep him out of the weather but he said the pig tore it to bits in less than 40 minutes. Mrs. Blissitt herself even said in Mr. Strickland's article that at times the pig would even become irate. Mr. Blissitt said he could see how anyone looking at the hog with his jaw popping and aggressive behavior in the 200 acre hog preserve, that is part of the 2,500 acre hunting plantation, would certainly believe this pig to be very scary. He congratulated Jamison on his hunt and said that somebody had to kill the pig.

Mr. Blissitt then said that they never would have brought this issue up if we were not trying to claim it to be a record wild hog. I explained that we had never declared it to be any kind of record and until recently, I was not very well educated on the terminology of hogs and their classifications. As the Alabama Game and Fish Commission investigated the story and the parties involved for wrong doing with the exception of Jamison and I, we sat patiently trying to understand what was going on. When the investigation was complete, I spoke with officials from the Alabama Game and Fish Commission who insured me that nothing illegal or unethical had occurred by any of the parties investigated. They did not tell me this pig had been purchased for stock on the plantation, which does have many species of pigs, including Russian black boar, that do raise there in a feral environment. He did state that the pig was of a domestic origin which was the ONLY legal way for owner's of pig hunting preserves to stock or restock besides pigs being born on the property. I did not really think a lot about what he said nor did I care at the time because I was still fighting the battle of proving the pig was real or at least to get the news media to quit saying it wasn't.

Now from the first time this story was told to the interviews Jamison and I have done on radio and television, we have never failed to say that the pig was hunted on a hunting ranch or farm. I know many of you real hunters and animal rights activist have chastised Jamison and I for this hunting trip from the very beginning trying to make it sound like it was something short of a true hunting experience and your opinion is well received and understood. However, I own no hunting land and have very little time so this opportunity to hunt what we thought and technically still is, according to the definition I have, a feral pig, was something I do not regret doing with my son. Had I known that in a short time, someone would call this pig their "pet", we would have simply hunted another hog. I would like to thank Mr. Blissitt for his honest and forthcoming description of the pig and his understanding and taking time to explain to my son that he did NOT shoot the family pet!

I have no hard feelings at anyone involved nor do I feel like I have been misled in any way now that I have a complete understanding of this event. I intend to take my girls hunting there soon.

Mike Stone

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Legolas the elf
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Jun , 2007 4:13 am
Trudging the road of happy destiny...

That's gotta be a fake boar! Am I the only one that is shocked at the size of that thing? I cannot imagine walking in the woods and seeing a rhino-sized freakin' boar charging at me!...it just doesn't register. :P

(Ax...love the sig. :damnfunny: )

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Jun , 2007 12:52 pm
Not so deep as a well

There's one pic with pretty obviously forced perspective floating around on the net. But a 1000+ pig is going to be BIG.

Maria--

That's an amazing amount of backpedaling in one spot from one guy. I'm afraid there's a credibility issue at this point. Though it's true, it wasn't a pet, but a farm animal. In terms of the validity of the experience, the difference is dubious.

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Jun , 2007 2:41 pm

It says pretty much the same thing in the CNN article that Dave linked. I just didn't read it carefully the first time for some reason. :scratch:
CNN wrote:
Stone said he and his son met Blissitt on Friday morning to get more details about the hog. Blissitt said that he had about 15 hogs and decided to sell them for slaughter, but that no one would buy that particular animal because it was too big for slaughter or breeding, Stone said.

Blissitt said that the pig had become a nuisance and that visitors were often frightened by it, Stone said.

"He was nice enough to tell my son that the pig was too big and needed killing," Stone said. "He shook Jamison's hand and said he did not kill the family pet."

If I had a mutant farm animal grow Too Big and act aggressively and break out frequently... I'd have shot it long ago and butchered it. But I NEVER would have sold it to be "hunted." That's still wrong.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Jun , 2007 3:37 pm
Not so deep as a well

Blissit's wife said that they thought they WERE selling it for breeding last I heard (NPR, last week I think). Like I said, there's a credibility gap at this point.

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Jun , 2007 6:07 pm

I pity the poor sow they might have tried to breed to that thing! :Q

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 3  [ 45 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 »
Jump to: