The Last Homely Site on the Web

11 Year old kills Giant Boar

Post Reply   Page 1 of 3  [ 45 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 3 »
Alatar
Post subject: 11 Year old kills Giant Boar
Posted: Mon 28 May , 2007 7:28 pm
of Vinyamar

Who knew there was a Hogzilla I? Anyway, I went looking for this story online cause I saw it in a local rag.

http://www.redorbit.com/news/oddities/9 ... index.html

The size of the Boar is undoubtedly impressive, but I was more concerned with the following quote:
Quote:
"It feels really good," Jamison, of Pickensville, said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press. "It's a good accomplishment. I probably won't ever kill anything else that big."

Jamison, who killed his first deer at age 5, was hunting with father Mike Stone and two guides in east Alabama on May 3 when he bagged Hogzilla II. He said he shot the huge animal eight times with a .50-caliber revolver and chased it for three hours through hilly woods before finishing it off with a point-blank shot.
Does anyone else find the idea of a child chasing an animal with a gun for sport to be offensive? I don't want to get into the whole gun control debate, or even an anti hunting thing, but surely an 11 year old kid should not be shooting a boar at point blank range, or indeed at distance? If you start to devalue life at such a young age, where killing for fun is considered not just acceptable, but an admirable achievement, where does it stop?

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 28 May , 2007 7:41 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

And to think I could never get my kids to even go up the road to the butchers for a pound of sausages.
I find it repellent too. Not the concept of a youngster hunting - different societies after all - but the pride in the drawn out slow murder of the animal. That is what I find morally deficient.

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 28 May , 2007 7:47 pm
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

I most certainly find it offensive. I believe that hunting should be for the purpose of eating what you kill and not for entertainment value. Particularly for a child who shot his first deer at age 5. :roll:

That said, however, I can't help but notice that this kid is from Alabama. The sport hunting culture is so deeply rooted in that area that I can't see it going away any time soon, moral or not.

Profile Quote
Meril36
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 28 May , 2007 8:11 pm

I find nothing offensive about an eleven-year-old hunting in general. Wild meat is extremely tasty, much better than anything you'll find in a supermarket. What I find repugnant is hunting an animal just to have a trophy, and letting the meat go to waste. That's disrespectful. If I were to go hunting, I would try to use all the parts of the animal, and I'd probably apologize to it and thank it for its sacrifice as well.

Trying for profundity only limits depth.

With all the anger in the land, how long before the judgement day? Before we cut the fat ones down to size? Before the barricades arise?

Visit my art gallery at deviantART.

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 28 May , 2007 8:13 pm
of Vinyamar

I'm sure it would feel much better then.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dawnnamira
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 28 May , 2007 8:39 pm

I'm probably going to be the only user here on b77 who went "That's awesome! I need to meet this kid..."

Regardless of what I think about him personally, this is a great achievement for an 11 year old -- for anyone, honestly.

And I'm not even sure that my amazement stems from the fact that he was 11...I mean, he chased it for 3 hours! How many Americans do you know that would chase an animal that far or long?

How strange it is to be anything at all

Profile Quote
oldtoby
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 28 May , 2007 9:44 pm
Cuddly Studmuffin

Quote:
I'm probably going to be the only user here on b77 who went "That's awesome! I need to meet this kid..."
Well I wouldn't call it awsome, but its quite an acomplishment for a kid.

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 29 May , 2007 2:06 am
Not so deep as a well

I can't do sport hunting. The closest I've come is dove hunting, and even then I eat the things (taste like chicken). But it's not particularly needful, and unlike deer, I can't donate to local food pantries and help deal with overpopulation at the same time.

As a purely physical achievement, it's impressive. But one could say the same about beating someone up for 24 hours straight. :(

Destiny is a rhythm track on which we must improvise.

In some cases, firing the drummer helps.

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 29 May , 2007 3:22 pm

It's good that the hog is dead. Huge feral pigs are incredibly dangerous.

It is unpardonable that they used a pistol. You have to get close to hit what you are aiming at with a pistol, and the danger level to a child is unacceptable, even with adults standing by with rifles. That's just wrong.

It's also horrific that the creature was shot 8 times and had to be chased for 3 hours before it was finally killed. It's good that they did track it down and kill it-- it would be really horrible if they'd shot 8 times and let it suffer even longer before dying- but they really should have used something that would kill it with the first shot. Or let someone who could AIM shoot the darn thing!

People who can't kill with the first shot shouldn't hunt.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 29 May , 2007 3:37 pm
of Vinyamar

Quote:
His father said that, just to be extra safe, he and the guides had high-powered rifles aimed and ready to fire in case the beast with 5-inch tusks decided to charge.
They could have taken the boar out at any time, but chose to let it suffer for 3 hours so the kid could have his "kill". Doesn't strike me as much of an "achievement" under those conditions anyway.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 29 May , 2007 3:56 pm
Not so deep as a well

Maria is right about feral pigs doing a lot of damage to the landscape, which hurts the native flora and fauna both. They are the one thing deer hunters in Missouri are allowed to shoot (if they see them during deer season) for that reason.

But--even if he had decent aim, a .50 caliber revolver is going to be hard for an 11-year old to handle properly. And for a hog that big, only a well-placed head shot would kill it in one (and that's not 100%, certainly not with even a big pistol load). So they were practically guaranteeing a long, drawn-out process. They should have just handed him a rifle in the first place.

Yeah, the more you look, the sloppier and ickier it gets. Hunting isn't playtime.

Profile Quote
Jonny
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 30 May , 2007 12:34 am
pixel-pusher

I agree with the general sentiment.

I'm not against hunting; I wouldn't do it myself but I'm not against it. But I always feel an extra pang when I see something especially big or old go down.

“And the ship went out into the High Sea and passed into the West, until at last on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.”

Profile Quote
Lily Rose
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 30 May , 2007 11:45 am
stranded in dreamland

I don't like the idea that this child is being taught that it is okay to kill something for sport. I am all for hunting, as long as you eat what you kill. But, I don't like the thought of making anything suffer longer than absolutely necessary.

I don't have faith in faith
I don't believe in belief
You can call me faithless
I still cling to hope
And I believe in love
And that's faith enough for me

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 30 May , 2007 2:20 pm

The website, monsterpig.com, says that "Sausage is all Gone". Maybe that means they did butcher it afterwards?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 30 May , 2007 2:37 pm
Not so deep as a well

That makes it a little less bothersome. The sheer wastefulness would otherwise have made this ethically dubious. As has been noted, meat hunting is an important adjunct to the diets of more than a few rural folks. On the other hand, the fact that it was in a private game preserve still kind of bugs me, although obviously it wasn't of the "line 'em up and shoot 'em" variety, since it took hours to track the thing down. Still, it implies the people paid to be there. If they can afford to hunt on a preserve, that implies they weren't exactly going hungry. I know when some old acquaintances of mine went boar hunting on a preserve (with spears, so it was a tad closer to a fair contest--and they were WAY quicker than this crew) it was a chunk of change, and that was over a decade ago.

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 30 May , 2007 7:33 pm

Those who don't have to hunt to get meat, but do so anyway...

What is the problem with that? I don't see one. Why do some people have a problem with hunted meat but not farm meat? They're both meat.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 30 May , 2007 8:07 pm
Not so deep as a well

I think hunting on a preserve is ethically on par with eating factory farmed meat. It's expedient, but not strictly necessary. Subsistence hunting is more necessary.

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 30 May , 2007 8:30 pm
You are hearing me talk

Ironically, despite how it ended, this pig probably experienced less inhumanity during its life than most. Factory farms and all that.

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 30 May , 2007 8:34 pm
Not so deep as a well

Very possibly. But the last three hours sucked, when they didn't have to. And could have been 30 seconds.

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 30 May , 2007 8:47 pm
You are hearing me talk

I agree; but at the same time, it's hard for me to get too worked up about it with all the other troubles in the world...

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 3  [ 45 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page 1 2 3 »
Jump to: